Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Neels Gap Area

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Neels Gap Area

My husband and I are wanting to do a few nights hiking to Neels Gap from Springer Mountain. Afterwards, we would like to finish the week out somewhere. We thought about getting a cabin. Does anyone have any suggestions? We wouldn't care to travel up to about 50 miles or so from Beels Gap if it is worth it.
    • the obvious option that first comes to mind is blood mountain cabins. blood mountain cabins are 1/4 mile from neels gap; there is actually a trail from mountain crossings (the outfitter at neels gap) to the cabins. these cabins have a history of being used by thruhikers; so i wouldn't expect something very luxurious. (i've never stayed here - although it's on my list - so i can't give you any first hand info.) the closest town is blairsville 16 miles away. decent barbecue midway. i assume you'll have to make at least one trip to town for supplies. if you decide to stay here i'd ask if you could leave your car there as you begin your hike rather than park it at byron reece.

bloodmountain.com/index.htm

vogel state park is about 3 miles from neels gap. they also rent cottages. i've never stayed there so i can't tell you what the difference is between a cottage and a cabin.
      2,000 miler
    • a brief mention about parking at neels gap.

mountain crossings, the outfitter, is located at neels gap. the AT actually passes through a breezeway of the building. and while there is parking at mountain crossings for customers, there is not enough room to allow parking for hikers (and those that try will return to find their car has been towed).

the byron reece parking area is 3/8 mile N of neels gap. there is a blue blaze trail from the parking area to the AT. if you are hiking north towards neels gaps, the blue blaze trail is about 1 mile S of neels gap. the blue blaze is about 3/4 mile (left turn) to the parking lot.

you will want to visit the outfitter during your trip.
      2,000 miler
    • While in the area of Neels Gap you can take a very short drive to Helton Creek Falls. There is a small parking lot on the side of the road and a very easy short walk to get to two waterfalls, one above the other. On the opposite side of the mountain you will find DeSoto Falls campground. Park there and walk across a small footbridge to a trail. Turn right to see one waterfall, or turn left to see another. Both are easy hikes. In addition to Vogel State Park there is Brasstown Bald which is the highest point in Georgia. You can either hike (strenuous) or take a shuttle to the top. At the top is a observation deck and a small museum. Brasstown Bald is roughly halfway between Neels Gap and Blairsville. I haven't stayed at the Blood Mountain Cabins either but have seen them while visiting a friend. They are pretty nice and clean. They may not be a 5 star resort but I think yall will be happy. As mentioned before if you have reservations at the cabins they will normally allow you to park your car there and help arrange a shuttle to Springer Mountain or AFSP to start your hike. Call them at 706-745-9454 to verify.
      RIAP
    • jimmyjam wrote:

the blood mountain cabins are very nice. They also have a small store there at the cabin office.I stayed there in 2013.
      Agreed. I also stayed there in 2013 and loved our cabin. They are named after animals. I was in the Wild Boar cabin and yes, there was a head of a wild boar on the wall. Out the back door is a porch, if you will, with a grill and chairs. We went into town and purchased steak, potatoes and veggies for grilling. Oh yeah, and charcoal, beer and wine as well. They included laundry service in the cost of the cabin. In 2013 it was $60 per cabin for hikers. I went in with 3 other hikers so the cost was only $15 each. There was a bedroom, a loft with double bed and fold out couch. The kitchen was fully equipped. Note: if you are just reserving for a 'vacation', the cost for the cabins was $90, IIRC. If you hike in, it was $60. As I said, this was back in 2013.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

hey trillium what date were you there? I think I was there April 20?
      I stayed at Walasi-Yi on Wed, April 10. When we got up on Thurs, April 11 the weather report indicated strong possibility of tornados in the area and at a minimum a very strong storm so most people opted to stay put in the Neels Gap area. So, I stayed at Blood Mt. Cabins on Thurs, April 11. We heard from the few who ventured down the trail that day that they were deluged and blown about.