Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Best Job on Earth?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Best job on Earth?

Mine.

I got the job! I'll be stationed at either Amicalola or Springer starting in late February. :D :D :D
      do you have a preference?
      They both have their perks. I'm fine either way. I'll be commuting on the bike on my days off, so either spot gives me the lodge where I can park, hopefully more safely than a trailhead. I figure if at Amicalola, I'll probably be doing more group presentations, but I won't have a privy to clean either. ;)
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Not that I would ever use a privy anyhow, but there's no way I could use one knowing you had to clean it out.

Hell, when I had my little fracture/dislocation incident with my right ankle while at Clemson I would cut my cast off right before my Dr visits so I could wash my own nasty ass leg and not subject the Nurses to such. I got gnawed on every single time about it (I was in a cast up to the boys for a couple months and below the knee for quite some time after that so I went through several casts), but I stood my ground and did it every time, lol. Later while I was in the Navy I shattered my big toe and swung by my room to wash my foot before going to the hospital.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Myself and a other Scout got assigned cleaning a privy seat, walls, and floor at summer camp. We had just got done when a couple visiting their son at camp and had to use the facilities.

We told them the seat had a cleaner on it, and would be painful to sit on.

The scream was heard, adults came running, and we said, 'We told her not to sit on the seat, it has cleaner on it !'.

Our Scoutmaster stood up for us. And took us off cleaning duty. The other Scoutmaster, told us the next day via another Scout, that those particular parents never listen to kids.

My feeling was they got burned, and should have listened. One of the other kids told mr folks, and my parents said, 'Well, they should have listened.'.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Hey y'all! Guess what? I interviewed today with Alice Webber and the AMC for a Ridgerunner Coordinator position from May until September up in Massachusetts. Anyone here live near South Egremont? :D

The job is a step up from a ridgerunner because I would be in charge of a handful of RRs including their schedules, training, etc. I did pretty well on the interview, but I'm ok whether I get it or not. If I don't, cool. I stay in GA. If I do, I've got to figure out where the hell I can stay up there for 4 months with my 2 sweetheart dogs. I can't leave them again after just returning home. My one fella is 13 years old...my shadow who's only happy when he's with me.

The job sounds awesome though! I would gain tremendous managerial/leadership experience! apply.coolworks.com/amc/job-details.asp?JobID=31065
      The pay is apparently pretty good too. :)

We shall see! Things will happen as they are supposed to...the trail will provide.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

It's not just an adventure ... it's a job!
      Yep, my job is always an adventure...you can't even imagine. :)
      Nurses and corrections often serve the same clientele.
      Yes. Ive taken care of shackled women. A lot of times, when a pregnant, incarcerated woman is hospitalized long-term, their cases are often dropped or they are paroled because it costs a lot of money and man power to have a 24 hr guard for 1 person.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Teachers serve all of them.

• twistwrist wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Teachers serve all of them.
      As we both well know. One of my students was convicted for killing a LEO. However I have several former students acquiring nursing, law, and teaching degrees. One is well upon her way to completing a PhD in physics.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • My wife's first teaching job was in the inner city. Students with knifes, guns, even windows through with bullets.

Fortunately she got a suburban job after a year. Had a former student that was convicted for murder (well before he was 18).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

My wife's first teaching job was in the inner city. Students with knifes, guns, even windows shot through with bullets.

Fortunately she got a suburban job after a year. Had a former student that was convicted for murder (well before he was 18).
      I had a brand new car at the time. I only drove to her school once, and it was definitely during the day time.
    • I know someone who worked couseling kids who had dropped out or were kicked out of high school for various reasons. Her car was stolen, she mentioned it at the place where she was trying to help these kids. One of the known gang guys told her she was getting her car back. She thanked him. Next day the police called. Her car had been found in an area they had already looked. It had been washed and cleaned, nothing missing. She was told by the guy her car would never be bothered again.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

I know someone who worked couseling kids who had dropped out or were kicked out of high school for various reasons. Her car was stolen, she mentioned it at the place where she was trying to help these kids. One of the known gang guys told her she was getting her car back. She thanked him. Next day the police called. Her car had been found in an area they had already looked. It had been washed and cleaned, nothing missing. She was told by the guy her car would never be bothered again.
      I heard a similar story from one of my teachers. I think she was in Puerto Rico. She told her students her gas tank cap was missing. The next day she had a bunch of caps to choose from.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Although it is subject to change, I've received my assignment! I will be stationed for the first half of the season as a caretaker at Amiaclola Falls. Dream! The 2nd half of the season, I'm slated to be a roving ridgerunner....also a dream! :D

Regarding the CT/MA RR Coordinator Job, I have a strong feeling she's going to offer me the job based on some correspondence we have had the past week. After hours and hours of pondering, I'm going to probably have to turn it down unless it pays enough for me to make ends meet. I hate for $$ to be the deciding factor, but for me to up and move myself and 2 dogs (one of whom is 13 and too old to be comfortable hiking through the mountains) to MA for 4 months is a helluva sacrifice, one I'm not sure it would be wise to make. On one hand, I would LOVE to run that section of trail. It was one of my favorites! The job seems to be full of great experiences and I'd gain so many skills! As you can tell, I'm so torn. :(

Anyway, can't wait to see some of y'all out on trail this spring!

• twistwrist wrote:

Although it is subject to change, I've received my assignment! I will be stationed for the first half of the season as a caretaker at Amiaclola Falls. Dream! The 2nd half of the season, I'm slated to be a roving ridgerunner....also a dream! :D

Regarding the CT/MA RR Coordinator Job, I have a strong feeling she's going to offer me the job based on some correspondence we have had the past week. After hours and hours of pondering, I'm going to probably have to turn it down unless it pays enough for me to make ends meet. I hate for $$ to be the deciding factor, but for me to up and move myself and 2 dogs (one of whom is 13 and too old to be comfortable hiking through the mountains) to MA for 4 months is a helluva sacrifice, one I'm not sure it would be wise to make. On one hand, I would LOVE to run that section of trail. It was one of my favorites! The job seems to be full of great experiences and I'd gain so many skills! As you can tell, I'm so torn. :(

I'm sure you will make the right decision. I'm so happy that you're getting such great opportunities, you'll be amazing.

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

Have you asked your interviewer about housing? Although it may not be included with the job, she might be best source of contacts & info. My boss had done it for severals shows we have worked & gotten some pretty nice deals from a friend of a friend.
      A canvas tent is available for housing, but dogs can't live there. :( They are allowed to go with me everywhere on the job but are not allowed to sleep in the tents.

• twistwrist wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Have you asked your interviewer about housing? Although it may not be included with the job, she might be best source of contacts & info. My boss had done it for severals shows we have worked & gotten some pretty nice deals from a friend of a friend.
      A canvas tent is available for housing, but dogs can't live there. :( They are allowed to go with me everywhere on the job but are not allowed to sleep in the tents.
      What about pup tents?
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

What about pup tents?
      Duuude ! Thats okay I suppose.
      --
    • twistwrist wrote:

Although it is subject to change, I've received my assignment! I will be stationed for the first half of the season as a caretaker at Amiaclola Falls. Dream! The 2nd half of the season, I'm slated to be a roving ridgerunner....also a dream! :D

Pretty darned awesome TW! When do you start at Amicalola?
    • Thanks! I start training for it Tuesday and field work starts the 25th I think.

On another note, I had to turn the MA/CT job down. The position offers housing but not for dogs. The director was trying to make arrangements for me and both of my dogs at a location an hour away, but I told her not to go through any more trouble.

As much fun as that would be and as much as I LOVE that section of trail, I'm disappointed, but feasibly it's not worth it for me.

• twistwrist wrote:

Thanks! I start training for it Tuesday and field work starts the 25th I think.

On another note, I had to turn the MA/CT job down. The position offers housing but not for dogs. The director was trying to make arrangements for me and both of my dogs at a location an hour away, but I told her not to go through any more trouble.

As much fun as that would be and as much as I LOVE that section of trail, I'm disappointed, but feasibly it's not worth it for me.
      I'm sure you made the right decision. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Thanks! I start training for it Tuesday and field work starts the 25th I think.

I'm sure you made the right decision. :)
      It appeared to me to be the choice between two good opportunities and this one just worked out best overall all things considered. Nice to be in a situation where you multiple good options. :)
    • Hey guys! My training starts today! I'm heading up to the Smokies to an ATC building there for training that starts first thing in the am.

Excited still, but REALLY REALLY sad today about leaving my pups and the boyfriend. Homesick a bit already.

• twistwrist wrote:

Hey guys! My training starts today! I'm heading up to the Smokies to an ATC building there for training that starts first thing in the am.

Excited still, but REALLY REALLY sad today about leaving my pups and the boyfriend. Homesick a bit already.
      Not for sure if she will be there, but if you see Blissful tell her I said Hi (she does SNP in VA). Met another nice guy last summer who does the area from SNP to HF (walked with him through much of the Roller Coaster). Forgot his trailname, but it was some kind of bird like an eagle or a hawk.