Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Changes to Virginia's Conceal Carry permit reciprocity

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Changes to Virginia's Conceal Carry permit reciprocity

Virginia is changing it's CCW permit reciprocity and dropping reciprocity with a number of States. Just an FYI for any of you that happen to carry, details of the change are in the link below.

vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • put aside any pro or anti gun biases, and it is clear that what virgina did makes sense.

they ended reciprocity with states that have more lenient laws than they do.

for example, if you have a history of stalking you can not get a permit in virginia.

but lets say that state A allows stalkers to get a permit and resident joe blow who has been convicted of stalking gets a permit.

virginia is basically saying to joe blow that if you lived in virginia you wouldn't be given a permit, so we are not going to allow you to carry in our state via a permit from state A.

sounds logical to me.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• These gun laws are literally changing weekly. NJ just passed a law where by firearm retailers have to carry smart guns, these are fire arms that won't work without the operator wearing a bra let or ring that is electronically keyed to that specific firearm. I can't keep up with all the new rules coming out.
    • socks wrote:

These gun laws are literally changing weekly. NJ just passed a law where by firearm retailers have to carry smart guns, these are fire arms that won't work without the operator wearing a bra let or ring that is electronically keyed to that specific firearm. I can't keep up with all the new rules coming out.
      Retailers Have to stock them as an option, or is that now the only thing they are allowed to carry?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

socks wrote:

These gun laws are literally changing weekly. NJ just passed a law where by firearm retailers have to carry smart guns, these are fire arms that won't work without the operator wearing a bra let or ring that is electronically keyed to that specific firearm. I can't keep up with all the new rules coming out.
      Retailers Have to stock them as an option, or is that now the only thing they are allowed to carry?
      yes, that's right, just have to have them as an option for sale, you can still buy firearms without.
    • max.patch wrote:

put aside any pro or anti gun biases, and it is clear that what virgina did makes sense.

they ended reciprocity with states that have more lenient laws than they do.

for example, if you have a history of stalking you can not get a permit in virginia.

but lets say that state A allows stalkers to get a permit and resident joe blow who has been convicted of stalking gets a permit.

virginia is basically saying to joe blow that if you lived in virginia you wouldn't be given a permit, so we are not going to allow you to carry in our state via a permit from state A.

sounds logical to me.
      No problem with Virginia making such a decision. This is a state's right issue to my way of thinking.

However living on the border of Virginia and having to frequently travel or work in the state would pose a problem to some folks.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • socks wrote:

When these first came out, some people I know and I came up with ways around that. Just like trigger locks. Its a feel good, accomplishes nothing, but helps politicians feel good they did something.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

socks wrote:

When these first came out, some people I know and I came up with ways around that. Just like trigger locks. Its a feel good, accomplishes nothing, but helps politicians feel good they did something.
      I'd feel better if they reduced my taxes....or at least stop raising them.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • socks wrote:

i don't mind wearing a ring but i draw the line at wearing a bra.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

i don't mind wearing a ring but i draw the line at wearing a bra.
      They might have a bro also.
    • A person can go thru Va and get a permit to carry in their state if they pass all their requirements.

IMO..... I think there should be a way for a person to get one license to carry in all states.
      I'd pay for that.

I'll let you guys know what the fine is if I ever get caught in Va.........
    • Dmax wrote:

A person can go thru Va and get a permit to carry in their state if they pass all their requirements.

IMO..... I think there should be a way for a person to get one license to carry in all states.
      I'd pay for that.

In practice, just get a Utah permit.

In principal, I don't understand how the second amendment has become a state by state issue.

I'd say more, but it would devolve into politics and I'm okay with avoiding that.
    • Drybones wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

socks wrote:

I'd feel better if they reduced my taxes....or at least stop raising them.

But that wouldn't make the politicians feel good.
      --
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dmax wrote:

A person can go thru Va and get a permit to carry in their state if they pass all their requirements.

I'd pay for that.

In practice, just get a Utah permit.
      In principal, I don't understand how the second amendment has become a state by state issue.

I'd say more, but it would devolve into politics and I'm okay with avoiding that.

Yeah, states modifying a Federal law... I didn't think that was legal.
      --
    • JimBlue wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I'd pay for that.

In practice, just get a Utah permit.In principal, I don't understand how the second amendment has become a state by state issue.

Yeah, states modifying a Federal law... I didn't think that was legal.
      States have more rights than you would believe. Sadly they are surrendering them to the federal monster.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Dmax wrote:

I'd pay for that.

I don't believe a permit should be required to exercise your 2nd amendment rights.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dmax wrote:

I'd pay for that.

I don't believe a permit should be required to exercise your 2nd amendment rights.
      It says, right after the comma ',Shall not be infringed.'.
      --