Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Overnighter this weekend

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mackenzie has a Reenactment in Gettysburg, and her and Ov are also going to U of Mary Washington, next weekend. I am taking The whole week off and may have them drop my car, northish, and start from where I left off, long ago, @ Shippensburg Road just south of The AT museum.......................or not ^^
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Mackenzie has a Reenactment in Gettysburg, and her and Ov are also going to U of Mary Washington, next weekend. I am taking The whole week off and may have them drop my car, northish, and start from where I left off, long ago, @ Shippensburg Road just south of The AT museum.......................or not ^^
      How prophetic is that..."at the Shippenburg road headn' north" I'm sure Lee thought the same thing for about a min.
    • Well Sir, I pulled into Harpers Ferry July 3rd this year, walking in from Pa., Laurel from The Tea Horse, drove me back to my car in Pa. I have all day to get home, I take Rt.116 into Gettysburg, it comes to the Seminary, I take a hard right and park at the North Carolina monument and look off towards the Union lines.......it is pouring rain........151 years later
    • CoachLou wrote:

Well Sir, I pulled into Harpers Ferry July 3rd this year, walking in from Pa., Laurel from The Tea Horse, drove me back to my car in Pa. I have all day to get home, I take Rt.116 into Gettysburg, it comes to the Seminary, I take a hard right and park at the North Carolina monument and look off towards the Union lines.......it is pouring rain........151 years later
      My buddy is a big time reinactor, he was there as well, showed me videos, it was unbelieveal...surreal, i can't imagine seeing in person, what a feeling that must have been.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Mackenzie has a Reenactment in Gettysburg, and her and Ov are also going to U of Mary Washington, next weekend. I am taking The whole week off and may have them drop my car, northish, and start from where I left off, long ago, @ Shippensburg Road just south of The AT museum.......................or not ^^
      I lived very, very close to Mary Washington and downtown Fredericksburg. Did some historical stuff with the spinning and weaving guild. Tell her to stop at Hyperion Espresso for a mocha. They can walk from the college.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

I lived very, very close to Mary Washington and downtown Fredericksburg. Did some historical stuff with the spinning and weaving guild. Tell her to stop at Hyperion Espresso for a mocha. They can walk from the college.
      That's one of my favorite things to do is go by where all the sutlers are and see old time crafts being done, spinning yarn, making tools, playing cigar box banjos, and things like that...also what Tuckahoe does, smithing, neat stuff.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Can't make it but have fun.
      Some nice stuff in VA.
      Aww come on now, it's only like what a 18 hour plane ride?? I'm lucky it's only about an hour and fifteen minute drive for me. Yeah there is a bunch of nice trail between Roanoke and Front Royal.
      One 11 hour flight, minimum 2 hour stop and then another 13 hours gets me to NYC or Boston.
      I'll pass this one.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Some nice stuff in VA.
      Aww come on now, it's only like what a 18 hour plane ride?? I'm lucky it's only about an hour and fifteen minute drive for me. Yeah there is a bunch of nice trail between Roanoke and Front Royal.
      One 11 hour flight, minimum 2 hour stop and then another 13 hours gets me to NYC or Boston.I'll pass this one.
      :)
      If traffic is heavy it takes me about that long to drive the 35-40 miles to NYC :D
    • TrafficJam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

"Fredvegas" lots of history there.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Some nice stuff in VA.
      One 11 hour flight, minimum 2 hour stop and then another 13 hours gets me to NYC or Boston.I'll pass this one. :)
      If traffic is heavy it takes me about that long to drive the 35-40 miles to NYC :D
      My ride in the early AM to go to Bear Mtn. is no sweat...........Tappen Zee, or I-84 back over the Hudson, Sunday afternoon....fogetaboutit! I mostly go over the Bear Mtn. bridge ($1.50), and up 9 thru Garrison or any number of roads across Dutchess or putnam counties, just as slow as the highway, but more scenic!
    • I ended up doing a short hike to the Hightop Hut in the SNP. There were about a dozen boy scouts there with 4 adults. They were a good group I chatted around the fire with them for a while and had my dinner of mac-n-cheese with salmon. I polished it off with coffee & bourbon ( felt I needed to be discreet around the scouts) and an apple pie. The wind whistled thru the trees most of the night and it was a good clear cold night for seeing some stars. The new tarp performed flawlessly and even better was the fact that my re-made DIY pack carried very comfortably. My carried weight with 3 days of food and 2+ liters of water ( and a 1/2 pint of bourbon) came in at 22.8 lbs, I am very happy about that. It was great to get out and hear the leaves crunching under my feet and the hoot of a distance owl. I am ready for another LASH.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference