Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Inchworm's remains found in Maine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mental note wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

As we get older memory and digestion goes through changes.
      Yes, but 26 days by any standard is pretty darn respectable and show just how resilient the human body is at keeping itself alive, I doubt a 10 year old would live any longer, give or take, and disregarding the few stats that people have lived much longer. the point is there are many other factors that played more a roll in prominence than her age and metabolism.
      I agree as I've had problems sometimes at all ages. I've seen other campers get confused due to heat, cold, etc., and there was someone there to help them get unconfused.

Thats one of the reasons I am concerned about me hiking solo. I feel certain I can maintain my composure, probably a better word somewhere than composure, but not 100% of the time. And that can be dangerous.

I do know I tend to sit down, instead of running in circles, if I get lost or confused. I try to keep track of my blood sugar, so if it drops too low, I have something handy to get it back to more normal levels.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

mental note wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

As we get older memory and digestion goes through changes.
      Yes, but 26 days by any standard is pretty darn respectable and show just how resilient the human body is at keeping itself alive, I doubt a 10 year old would live any longer, give or take, and disregarding the few stats that people have lived much longer. the point is there are many other factors that played more a roll in prominence than her age and metabolism.
      I agree as I've had problems sometimes at all ages. I've seen other campers get confused due to heat, cold, etc., and there was someone there to help them get unconfused.
      Thats one of the reasons I am concerned about me hiking solo. I feel certain I can maintain my composure, probably a better word somewhere than composure, but not 100% of the time. And that can be dangerous.

I do know I tend to sit down, instead of running in circles, if I get lost or confused. I try to keep track of my blood sugar, so if it drops too low, I have something handy to get it back to more normal levels.
      There is approximate 20 year difference between yourself and Inchworm. I am raising a mental health issue, due to medications or lack of calories. Something that is rarely discussed in hiking circles but often in survival situations. I have met an older person on the trail that was confused and I found it odd and concerning... just a couple of miles from Port Clinton and she said "I left yesterday..." no way could that have been true. She had just climbed up that day, she was way too close to PC... Perhaps a lack of calories or potassium and she was very hungry. I gave her half my Hoagie. There is more to this - That doesn't need to be addressed here on the forum.

My point is the older one gets the easier it is to get confused - direction, weather, food intake, etc... Take a moment and watch something really odd - that show being directed or financed by Bear Grylis - Naked and Afraid... 20+ days in the bush... most cave due to mental issues.

Does this post clear up the previous one?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • mental note wrote:

"Goonky" on WB posted this article, and while I don't agree with all of it, it is well written and was worth my time to read, kinda long.

smcmsar.org/downloads/Lost%20Person%20Behavior.pdf
      Thank you for his excellent article. They included the story of the hiker whose name I could not remember who sat in place an incredible 55 days waiting for help which never came. David Boomhower. The idea of starving in place when self-rescue is just a few miles away seems unbelievable to many, but sometimes that is exactly what happens.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

mental note wrote:

"Goonky" on WB posted this article, and while I don't agree with all of it, it is well written and was worth my time to read, kinda long.

smcmsar.org/downloads/Lost%20Person%20Behavior.pdf
      Thank you for his excellent article. They included the story of the hiker whose name I could not remember who sat in place an incredible 55 days waiting for help which never came. David Boomhower. The idea of starving in place when self-rescue is just a few miles away seems unbelievable to many, but sometimes that is exactly what happens.
      yes it does seem to have Occums razor all over it. Of particular interest to me and as someone who has what I think to be an above average ability to visualize spatial scenarios and move through them at will in my minds eye...born half blood hound half fugowie Indian, I will concede there have been times I've been turned around out in the woods and what was later found to be inacurate on my part not only left me dumb founded and confused, but outright belligerent and in denial against my own findings. It happens no matter how smart we think we are, it just happens.
    • it can definitely happen very easily. I have a keen sense of direction and yet got turned around and "lost" for an hour or two on a 155 acres our family had- and I had been walking thru those same woods for about 40 years at the time. Very easy to loose your sense of direction in thick woods, especially on a cloudy day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Sometimes it seems to be shear stubbornness that kills people. Up till now when I 'have misplaced' myself, I have always been willing to walk back to my last known point and figure out what went wrong. But like most people I do hate having to do the same work twice, so if I ever disappear in the woods, I was probably just being stubborn that day.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Sometimes it seems to be shear stubbornness that kills people. Up till now when I 'have misplaced' myself, I have always been willing to walk back to my last known point and figure out what went wrong. But like most people I do hate having to do the same work twice, so if I ever disappear in the woods, I was probably just being stubborn that day.
      In Orienteering lingo, we call that "Relocating". Relocate back to the closest best place you know EXACTLY where you are on the map. Then, take a breather, think, look at the map again and think of a better way to go. One item I've been working on the last few years, is to relocate SOONER. Don't make it worse by keep going when I've "misplaced myself". Stop, turn around, retrace back. I've found that the sooner I toss in the towel, actually the quicker I get back "on track"
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • twistwrist wrote:

Shudder.

Getting lost in the woods is a fear of mine...like that some people would have trapped in an elevator. I always wonder if I'd panic too. :(
      I got over that fear - by getting in enough orienteering practice that I never feel lost. At worst, I'm simply aware of my location imprecisely, with a plan to get better information. There's a whole spectrum between, "I can see landmarks that I can positively identify," and "I have absolutely no idea where I am".

About as bad as it gets for me is, "I'm at altitude about 2700 feet, somewhere between the east summit of Rusk Mountain and Spruceton Creek, and trying to get back on the ridge to follow it east to the Spruceton bridle path." I remember that trip in particular because it was the first time my daughter was a day late getting back. If you fall off the ridge (we did, trying to circle around a huge area of blowdown), you get into a maze of ledges. We kept getting cliffed out and having to backtrack, and each "backtrack and try again" took us farther from where we were trying to go.

It kind of freaked my daughter at the time, because she had the same fear of being lost. I was able to tell her, "here, we're not lost. We're within about a quarter-mile of where I'm pointing on the map. It's just that in this mess I don't know how to get out of here without backtracking all the way to where we went in, and I don't want to do that!" We ran out of daylight, spent an uncomfortable night camped on one of those ledges, and were back on a trail by 8:00 or so the next morning.

I have gotten turned around completely in Harriman Park, and used the strategy of 'descend to water, go downstream to a road or trail, regroup from there for a second try.' On the second attempt, I found the mining camp ruins I was looking for. (I never have been able to follow the old road in. It's just too washed out and grown to trees for me to spot it, and I'm usually pretty good at that.)

Of course, I was well enough oriented that I knew which stream and trail I was going to hit. I'd just totally lost the direction to my destination. It didn't help that for one of my turn points, I was unaware that I was standing on a pile of iron ore and my compass was pointing approximately east.

If you are aware that may be a problem, set your azimuth at a location where you have a known bearing to a landmark.
      Then have your hiking partner stand there and tell you that you're following the line. When you need a new turnpoint because of visibility, take a back azimuth to your partner, and add/subtract 180 degrees. Now your partner passes you and walks your new line. Even if your compass is wrong, you're still continuing the same line.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Shudder.

Getting lost in the woods is a fear of mine...like that some people would have trapped in an elevator. I always wonder if I'd panic too. :(

It kind of freaked my daughter at the time, because she had the same fear of being lost. I was able to tell her, "here, we're not lost. We're within about a quarter-mile of where I'm pointing on the map. It's just that in this mess I don't know how to get out of here without backtracking all the way to where we went in, and I don't want to do that!" We ran out of daylight, spent an uncomfortable night camped on one of those ledges, and were back on a trail by 8:00 or so the next morning.
      And that my friend, is what memories are made of.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • twistwrist wrote:

Shudder.

Learning to get "over our fears" is a passage. Part of being human. Years ago I was afraid of heights, when I saw a younger brother go off the high dive I got over myself and did it. Then I went on to scrambling buildings to 3rd and fourth floors on the outside without rope. Do your best and push yourself and you will succeed. There are many videos on how to stay " not lost" on you tube.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • I've been uncertain of my exact location many times. Twice I saw crossed power lines & thought perfect! It will be simple to figure out. Once was on M & M (Metacomet Monadnock) trail. Precurser to NET. The area had recntly been logged obliterating trail & markings. When my friend asked where we were I pointed to the guidebook W/maps & said I'm pretty sure somewhere on this page. Other time was on PCT in So CA. Numerous atv trails crossed the area & back then at least not many trail markers. I saw the two power lines & stopped to check my map. I heard a buzzing at me feet & when I looked down a rattlesnake was less than a foot away from me. A sidestep later I was on my way deciding to follow the hiker still in sight in front of me & check later. Both times only one set of power lines were marked on my maps.

I believe having the ability to walk a topo map & keep track of your position is as important as other orienteering skills. It's hard to shoot an azmith in dense woods & just as hard following a bearing.

Another time I wasn't lost, I knew exactly where I was but the trail was gone. I hiked up from the road at Sonora Pass to a saddle/notch. The trail disappeared into loose scree. Even though late July large portions of the trail were still cover in snow. Being the open Sierras I could see where I needed to go & decided cross country would be most expedient. Other than a snow bridge collapsing while I crossed a stream I made my destination for my night's campsite & rejoined the trail the next day on the ridge above as planned.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Shudder.

Learning to get "over our fears" is a passage. Part of being human. Years ago I was afraid of heights, when I saw a younger brother go off the high dive I got over myself and did it. Then I went on to scrambling buildings to 3rd and fourth floors on the outside without rope. Do your best and push yourself and you will succeed. There are many videos on how to stay " not lost" on you tube.
      I used to be afraid of motorcycles and ladders, so I learned to ride and painted my 2-story house. The only way to conquer fears is to face them. That said, I will not get lost on purpose just to face that one.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I believe having the ability to walk a topo map & keep track of your position is as important as other orienteering skills. It's hard to shoot an azmith in dense woods & just as hard following a bearing.
      how true.

A significant portion of map-compass instruction within the military is devoted to this skill.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • JimBlue wrote:

my fear in the Navy was the ship sinking while I slept. Troubled sleep my first year aboard ship.
      Several Navy veterans I've known have expressed similar thoughts. Especially when berthed deep within a large ship.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • IMScotty wrote:

This heartbreaking article on Inchworm's disappearance contains some new details...

bostonglobe.com/magazine/2016/…ojOTN2LNsOXm0K/story.html

:(
      Thanks for sharing this. While sad, and we could still second guess what she should have done (but please don't), it is also so impressive her selfless attitude and how she tried to always put others first.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Agreed. The time for the Monday morning quarterbacking has long since ended. This article does a nice job portraying her love of nature and her concern for others even in the face of adversity. Geraldine clearly will be deeply missed by her family and friends. RIP.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

This heartbreaking article on Inchworm's disappearance contains some new details...

bostonglobe.com/magazine/2016/…ojOTN2LNsOXm0K/story.html

:(
      I'm not going to 'Like' this post because yes, very heartbreaking-brought tears to my eyes; but I am grateful that you posted the link to be able to get those last details. I identify with Inchworm a lot and am sure that she is now in the presence of the Beautific Vision.

Looking forward to seeing the follow-up episode of North Woods Law about this. If and when anyone notices it's going to be on, please let us know.
    • First let me clarify - I am NOT second guessing or Monday morning quaterbacking why and what happened in this tragic case.

I'm personally a firm believer of carrying a map and compass even on well marked trails, such as the AT, just to prevent a scenario like this from occurring.

When I guide I always show my clients where I carry my map, GPS and compass and give them a quick lesson of how to find their way back to either the horses or trail by using the map and compass. Thankfully I have noever had an experience where they had to head out on their own.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • montana mac wrote:

First let me clarify - I am NOT second guessing or Monday morning quaterbacking why and what happened in this tragic case.

I'm personally a firm believer of carrying a map and compass even on well marked trails, such as the AT, just to prevent a scenario like this from occurring.

When I guide I always show my clients where I carry my map, GPS and compass and give them a quick lesson of how to find their way back to either the horses or trail by using the map and compass. Thankfully I have noever had an experience where they had to head out on their own.
      I think you talk out both sides of your mouth.
    • LIhikers wrote:

You know, I think that Kathy and I will be hiking that section next summer, or when ever we get out to Maine's AT next.
      It's a sobering thought that someone doing the thing we like so much to do died because of a simple mistake.
      Do you expect to make a visit to the mentioned memorial site?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC