Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h./ft.bastion homesteading

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Re:Re: bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

SGT Rock wrote:

As far as I am concerned there is no good way to do the new reservations system. I hate it, but have to live with it.

What I recommend you do is wait until you get to Fontana Village to make a reservation for the park. At that point you will sort of have an idea of how much you want to hike a day and then can estimate the campsites based on that mileage. Theoretically you cannot deviate from your plan. In practice I hear that you will either never meet a ranger that will check your permit to see if you are staying where you said you were, or if you do change where you are staying with a valid excuse like "I over planned for how far I could walk in a day" or "the weather got bad and I had to stop", or "That stream crossing looked dangerous so I waited here for a day to see if the stream would abate". That said, there are no bad stream crossings on the BMTin the park as far as I am concerned.

Something to consider when you plan your mileage in the park: the Lakeshore trail profile makes it look easier than it really is. For some reason I think that the Lakeshore trail should be a mostly flat stroll along the lake, but it always feels harder to me than it seems it should be. So that said, do plan to make a higher than normal mile per day while on that section. Campsites I try to avoid: 90, 86, 98, 50. Campsites I specifically try to use if I can: 47 & 38. I'll also add that since Laurel Gap shelter was remodeled it is a very nice place to camp. I generally avoid shelters, but I don't go out of my way to avoid it. And even though you are not supposed to camp outside the shelter, no one has ever hassled me for doing it.

My last full hike of the BMT through the park I did it Sobo and had a good run of campsites. This was my hit list:: 38, 47, 52 (we did a resupply stop on this day), 64, 76, 88.. Since the max fee is $20, this would have been what we would have paid for 6 nights in the park had it been under the new system.

I hope that helps.

Tomorrow I'm going up to do some more recon of the new trail to see what all has been accomplished by the Sierra Club over the past week. I think if I were you I would probably plan to do the new trail when you get up close, and go through Fontana for resupply and to get your reservation done. As far as I know the only hard part would be a 1.9 mile section that hasn't seen any maintenance yet as far as I know, but has been flagged. If things stay on schedule, I'll be up there working that section with a couple of crews 26 April and 4-7 may. I think we can have some to most of that 1.9 done by the time I expect you should hit it. Hell, you might even see me up there.
      very possible. i should be hitting fontana right around the 24-26.im leaving the 10th and not planning any zeros, but who knows?y'know?if i do, id be happy to help out for a day or two.
      thanks sarge, that really helps.
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

HB - That phone call I was waiting on today was what I thought it was going to be. I may be heading to New Hampshire instead. I will know if I'm going by Monday.
      its too cold up there.

I'll be in the kitchen the whole time. It's not cold in the kitchen.
      i heard the windows are broken
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

HB - That phone call I was waiting on today was what I thought it was going to be. I may be heading to New Hampshire instead. I will know if I'm going by Monday.
      its too cold up there.

Kitchens rarely have windows
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

its too cold up there.

Kitchens rarely have windows
      i meant the walls. theres holes in them or something.in any case, its quite drafty
      its all good
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

so how do i reserve campsites 3 weeks in advance? how do i know where i want to camp every night?how flexible are these reservations?

My understanding was that the regs are written in offices and the rangers are in the field.
      You make a reasonable attempt to plan it (even the date you get to GSMNP is a guess) and then if requested (probably won't be) you tell the ranger the whys of why your actual location differs and share a bitch session about the idiots in DC.

Oz, that makes sense to me.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

looks like the forecast is cooperating. looks to be sunny nd warm the first few days of my hike.

Not like last year....
      yeah,i'm glad i decided to start later.even happier that right now it looks like i wont have to start in the rain.so far the forecast calls for clear skies. there'll be a full moon next weekend too.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

looks like the forecast is cooperating. looks to be sunny nd warm the first few days of my hike.

Enjoy your hike HB. I envy you, but I am going to get out there this weekend for a "SASH" of 35 miles or so. I am so in need of some trail time, tired of the city and the 'burbs.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

In case you missed it (and since it is on the other website you probably have):
      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101574-Thread-Fontana-Reroute-State-of-the-Trail-Report&p=1868551&viewfull=1#post1868551

Today (Sat.) Lauky and I finished off the new section of the BMT as far as Fontana Village. We started this time at Old Field Gap road. The four miles to the top went very quickly. We continued on to the power line and that section is also in great shape and went quickly. As you mentioned, from that point on the progress slows. I was surprised, however, by how easy it was to follow the treadway even though it has obviously been very lightly used. While well marked with yellow strips, Lauky, who led the way was following the trail without any problem and obviously was not following the yellow strips. The only place we got off a bit was on the first knob where the trail hangs a right and we continued straight ahead. At the end of the plateau there was no more trail so we turned back and very quickly saw the yellow strips heading down the hill to our left. The going was not all that bad except where the thorns grew over the trail. It was a bit tedious in those spots. Fortunately I had on long pants. Until the trail is cleared, it definitely should not be done by someone wearing shorts. Trail #40 going down is copiously marked with red strips. This section shows signs of recent work. I had spotted a car on Fontana Hts. road right by the trail sign. As we neared the road I could see that the red strips were not going to take me to the car so I picked up another trail then made a short bushwhack that took us over a now abandoned obstacle course and onto the end of the trail that led to the car. I plan to go back again soon to the Fontana Hts trailhead and head up. I would like to see where that trail connects with the red flagged trail as I did not pick it up on the way down. I saved the trail coming down on my GPS so it should be easy to pick up. I also want to tag Walker gap. Since we can't get into the Smokies this will at least permit us to complete the short (400 mile) loop. We did the AT to Fontana last fall.

SGT Rock wrote:

In case you missed it (and since it is on the other website you probably have):
      http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101574-Thread-Fontana-Reroute-State-of-the-Trail-Report&p=1868551&viewfull=1#post1868551

Today (Sat.) Lauky and I finished off the new section of the BMT as far as Fontana Village. We started this time at Old Field Gap road. The four miles to the top went very quickly. We continued on to the power line and that section is also in great shape and went quickly. As you mentioned, from that point on the progress slows. I was surprised, however, by how easy it was to follow the treadway even though it has obviously been very lightly used. While well marked with yellow strips, Lauky, who led the way was following the trail without any problem and obviously was not following the yellow strips. The only place we got off a bit was on the first knob where the trail hangs a right and we continued straight ahead. At the end of the plateau there was no more trail so we turned back and very quickly saw the yellow strips heading down the hill to our left. The going was not all that bad except where the thorns grew over the trail. It was a bit tedious in those spots. Fortunately I had on long pants. Until the trail is cleared, it definitely should not be done by someone wearing shorts. Trail #40 going down is copiously marked with red strips. This section shows signs of recent work. I had spotted a car on Fontana Hts. road right by the trail sign. As we neared the road I could see that the red strips were not going to take me to the car so I picked up another trail then made a short bushwhack that took us over a now abandoned obstacle course and onto the end of the trail that led to the car. I plan to go back again soon to the Fontana Hts trailhead and head up. I would like to see where that trail connects with the red flagged trail as I did not pick it up on the way down. I saved the trail coming down on my GPS so it should be easy to pick up. I also want to tag Walker gap. Since we can't get into the Smokies this will at least permit us to complete the short (400 mile) loop. We did the AT to Fontana last fall.

thanks for the update.i'm excited.
      so funny-excited for what,I'm not exactly sure. it is, after all, just walking.i want to hurry things up, i guess, to start taking it easy.weird.
      its all good

SGT Rock wrote:

I totally understand. I wish I could be going on a long hike in the near future, but as it is I'll have to live vicariously through your hike. Hope to see you out on the trail.
      i'll post a trip report when i get to erwin. i'll try to post from the trail where i can.
      although the forecast looks rather benign for the next few weeks, i decided to start with my winter bag, and swap it out in erwin,sending my summer bag to uncle johnnies.
      its all good

It all sounds good.
      Really pleased for you and keen to follow you up the trail.
      Try and get some sleep on that train tomorrow.
      By the way - FYI IM's birthday today.
      We were reminiscencing last night about "one year ago today..."
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

OzJacko wrote:

It all sounds good.

Oz, y'all may take a lot of flack about the money y'all spent, but the memories you now have truly are priceless. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Re:Re: bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

It all sounds good.
      happy birthday Daniel

Happy Birthday IM! Hope you have many more.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Have a great time, HB! Keep us updated on your amazing trip.

thanks,tj.i'll post when i can, and if the train has wifi, ive got 15 hours to kill.

When are you leaving?
      i take the lirr at 12:17pm into penn station, then take amrak at 2:15pm, gets into gainesville 6:58am on 4/9.hiker hostel is picling me up and shuttling me to springer on 4/10
      its all good

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

this last few hours sucks. i wish i could just use a star trek transporter instead of a 17 hour train ride.

With your luck you'd get reassembled wrong

i remember what happened to you last time:
      [IMG:http://http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2sp1WpjuLxU/Uf1mR5IbzdI/AAAAAAAACb0/4ZNSv_OB_Mg/s1600/monster.jpg][IMG:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2sp1WpjuLxU/Uf1mR5IbzdI/AAAAAAAACb0/4ZNSv_OB_Mg/s1600/monster.jpg]
      its all good
    • Re:bmt thru hike/at l.a.s.h.

TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

this last few hours sucks. i wish i could just use a star trek transporter instead of a 17 hour train ride.

It's better than 24 hours in a plane followed by USA Customs and Immigration.

Walk every 2 hrs

We had about 11 hours to Dubai and then another 13 to NYC.
      IM "disappeared on me for about 2 hours of our 4 hr stopover. One of the things that got him his trail name.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

With your luck you'd get reassembled wrong

You are assuming he is presently assembled right.
      when i was born i came with a note attached "some assembly required."
      i suspect they may have missed a step.
      its all good