Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Going to see AWITW in an hour. Woo hoo.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rafe wrote:

odd man out wrote:

rafe wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Noticed that AWITW is rated R for bad language and adult situations. It seems to me they should have removed most of the bad words and references to sex and instead had lots of guns, murder, and violence. Then it would have a PG13 rating and be much more appropriate for children.
      Deserves a "like" but an observation of unfortunate reality.
      Yes, it was a rhetorical comment - i.e. satirical commentary on the state of American culture that would get me thrown off TOS.
      Yeah, I'm getting a kick out of the prudes on TOS asking whether AWITW is appropriate to watch with children. =O
      What I never get about questions like these is...They're your kids, nobody knows your kid like you do, nobody knows your parenting style. I'm a firm believer in there are no stupid questions in life...this I'm starting to re-think.
    • max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

huh? i like bryson and his book. jack is jealous of bryson's success and fame which jack has none of. i'll make a shirt that says " jack tarlin is a fat ass"
      who do you think the mainstream media contacts when they need a background quote from a hiker?
      jack is pretty famous in our little hiking world.
      THIS. Not only is Jack famous, he is a great resource and ambassador for the hiking community.

When I was first getting into hiking in 2006-08, I would pm Jack with some questions that I didn't want to ask on WhiteBlaze because I don't take well to being ridiculed. He was always very helpful. I first met Jack at the ATC tent, no I think it was the ALDHA tent at 2008 Trail Days. I was talking to Starlyte and in comes Jack with a torn shirt, dried blood on his legs and he let us know he had been bushwacking on the old AT somewhere around Damascus, what a character. I've run into Jack numerous times since at several Gatherings, Trail Days, SoRuck, Mountain Crossings and the last time I saw him was July, 2014 at the outfitter in Harpers Ferry. Was able to introduce him to my husband. We had a short conversation because I needed to get back home due to wanting/needing to get back to my Dad's side in the hospital due to the TBI he suffered a week and a half earlier. Jack asked our hiking plans and I shared the foregoing with him and he was very empathetic. (It had only been a short trip to Roanoke for our niece's wedding so we took one extra day to do a short hike in Shenandoah and check out Harper's Ferry)

socks wrote:

I don't know jack about Jack...except he comes from Baltimore.
      don't remember if this is true but don't think so. I know he lived in Boston for a long time.
    • Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

huh? i like bryson and his book. jack is jealous of bryson's success and fame which jack has none of. i'll make a shirt that says " jack tarlin is a fat ass"
      who do you think the mainstream media contacts when they need a background quote from a hiker?jack is pretty famous in our little hiking world.
      THIS. Not only is Jack famous, he is a great resource and ambassador for the hiking community.
      When I was first getting into hiking in 2006-08, I would pm Jack with some questions that I didn't want to ask on WhiteBlaze because I don't take well to being ridiculed. He was always very helpful. I first met Jack at the ATC tent, no I think it was the ALDHA tent at 2008 Trail Days. I was talking to Starlyte and in comes Jack with a torn shirt, dried blood on his legs and he let us know he had been bushwacking on the old AT somewhere around Damascus, what a character. I've run into Jack numerous times since at several Gatherings, Trail Days, SoRuck, Mountain Crossings and the last time I saw him was July, 2014 at the outfitter in Harpers Ferry. Was able to introduce him to my husband. We had a short conversation because I needed to get back home due to wanting/needing to get back to my Dad's side in the hospital due to the TBI he suffered a week and a half earlier. Jack asked our hiking plans and I shared the foregoing with him and he was very empathetic. (It had only been a short trip to Roanoke for our niece's wedding so we took one extra day to do a short hike in Shenandoah and check out Harper's Ferry)

socks wrote:

don't remember if this is true but don't think so. I know he lived in Boston for a long time.
      ive met jack several times, and enjoyed our conversations. he did a workshop for at thru hikers at last year's gathering. me and coach lou went with the intention of heckling him, telling him he was doing it all wrong, but i have to admit , he gave an entertaining informative talk.
      its all good
    • Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

who do you think the mainstream media contacts when they need a background quote from a hiker?jack is pretty famous in our little hiking world.

socks wrote:

...like I said, I don't know Jack. :D
    • hikerboy wrote:

Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

THIS. Not only is Jack famous, he is a great resource and ambassador for the hiking community.When I was first getting into hiking in 2006-08, I would pm Jack with some questions that I didn't want to ask on WhiteBlaze because I don't take well to being ridiculed. He was always very helpful. I first met Jack at the ATC tent, no I think it was the ALDHA tent at 2008 Trail Days. I was talking to Starlyte and in comes Jack with a torn shirt, dried blood on his legs and he let us know he had been bushwacking on the old AT somewhere around Damascus, what a character. I've run into Jack numerous times since at several Gatherings, Trail Days, SoRuck, Mountain Crossings and the last time I saw him was July, 2014 at the outfitter in Harpers Ferry. Was able to introduce him to my husband. We had a short conversation because I needed to get back home due to wanting/needing to get back to my Dad's side in the hospital due to the TBI he suffered a week and a half earlier. Jack asked our hiking plans and I shared the foregoing with him and he was very empathetic. (It had only been a short trip to Roanoke for our niece's wedding so we took one extra day to do a short hike in Shenandoah and check out Harper's Ferry)

socks wrote:

ive met jack several times, and enjoyed our conversations. he did a workshop for at thru hikers at last year's gathering. me and coach lou went with the intention of heckling him, telling him he was doing it all wrong, but i have to admit , he gave an entertaining informative talk.
      Now that, would've been funny!
    • odd man out wrote:

Noticed that AWITW is rated R for bad language and adult situations. It seems to me they should have removed most of the bad words and references to sex and instead had lots of guns, murder, and violence. Then it would have a PG13 rating and be much more appropriate for children.
      Yup, the MPAA really has it bass-aackwards. I'd much rather my kid see a set of boobs than watch someone get tortured to death in a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (Technically he sees boobs about four times a day, but that doesn't count)

If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend watching the documentary "This film is not yet rated"
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • I find the problem many Americans have with language strange. "Profanity " is common here. I am sure no teenager in Australia or America is not aware of all swear words.
      I taught my kids to be able to turn it off.
      We accepted an occasional "appropriate " swear word in conversation, but not at people. Absolutely no swear words were ever said in ear shot of their grandparents.
      The idea that the language in A Walk in the Woods prevents a child who plays Grand Theft Auto from seeing it is ridiculous.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I think highly of what Jack does in promoting the trail. I have no issues with him. I just didn't warm to him personally.
      I find it contradictory that so many people on this site like the fact that the trail is promoted and at the same time complain about a film coming out that may cause more hikers.....sorry...but I just don't understand that.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I think highly of what Jack does in promoting the trail. I have no issues with him. I just didn't warm to him personally.
      I find it contradictory that so many people on this site like the fact that the trail is promoted and at the same time complain about a film coming out that may cause more hikers.....sorry...but I just don't understand that.
      theres a difference between someone promoting the trail by teaching newbies, and a book or movie that cause a bunch of the same newbies totally unprepared to come out into the woods.
      its all good
    • I took a chance and took my 9 year old son to see the movie. I didn't really mind too much of the language but could of done well without the references to women's anatomy. I'm not offended in anyway by foul language but don't think it was needed in this particular movie. After the movie I had a brief talk with my son about the language used and why it is inappropriate. He understood and it wasn't a big deal.
      I have to admit that Nolte's line of "I spent half my life getting drunk and chasing pu$$y and the other half I wasted" was pretty damn funny.
      RIAP
    • TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I don't have a problem with more on the trail. BSP do.
      I have a problem with more of the frat packs.
      AWITW won't attract that demographic.
      Yeah, but what about the senior packs? They will clog the privies and litter the shelters with their little packages of Metamucil and tubes of Ben Gay. :P
      And after their hike their immaculately cared for gear can be bought 2nd hand for a song....
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Lots of people never get punished for severe misdeeds... so I am rather confused over them not wanting to show people not getting punished. They would have to be not paying attention to real world if they think it doesn't happen.
      There's a big gap between "think it doesn't happen" and "think that showing it is unsuitable for young people."

Oh, I understand their point of view... but... that horse was let out of the barn centuries ago. Closing the door now is of no use. In my opinion.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Trebor wrote:

I took a chance and took my 9 year old son to see the movie. I didn't really mind too much of the language but could of done well without the references to women's anatomy. I'm not offended in anyway by foul language but don't think it was needed in this particular movie. After the movie I had a brief talk with my son about the language used and why it is inappropriate. He understood and it wasn't a big deal.
      I have to admit that Nolte's line of "I spent half my life getting drunk and chasing pu$$y and the other half I wasted" was pretty damn funny.

For my 21st bithday, my parents got me a coffee mug. I was in the US Navy at the time.

Emblazoned on it is an old reprobate guy that would make Nick Nolte in AWITW look as handsome as a 25 year old male hunk.

The words next to him are, "I spent my money on beer and women. I wasted the rest."
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I think my grandmother could have hiked the AT at age 90. They finally got her to move to a retirement home after she fell in her garden and laid there for two days before someone found her. When she moved into the home she complained that everyone was so old, when in fact she was the oldest person there when she moved in.
    • odd man out wrote:

I think my grandmother could have hiked the AT at age 90. They finally got her to move to a retirement home after she fell in her garden and laid there for two days before someone found her. When she moved into the home she complained that everyone was so old, when in fact she was the oldest person there when she moved in.
      My grandmother worked in a retirement home until she was 80. She was often taking care of people younger then her.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

The scary thing was that I wasn't the youngest in the theatre. There were ones younger than me who still looked as if their hiking days were over long ago. KillMe
      You're doing it right. Staying physically active is key.
      My dad really wants to go hiking with me. He has bad knees and can't walk very far and has an ICD (implanted defibrillator).
      Lost in the right direction.
    • socks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Just imagine the line going up the stairs at Amicolah next year! :D =O
      Maybe with all the geriatrics the ATC expects they should invest in a few of these.
      [IMG:https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.WYIrSavvAy9k2o6kNcJulA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0]
      Nah, I say the ATC should hand out medical mj to the senior packs instead.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Just imagine the line going up the stairs at Amicolah next year! :D =O
      Maybe with all the geriatrics the ATC expects they should invest in a few of these.[IMG:https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.WYIrSavvAy9k2o6kNcJulA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0]
      Nah, I say the ATC should hand out medical mj to the senior packs instead.
      Why not, there a Bunch of old hippies anyway.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

The scary thing was that I wasn't the youngest in the theatre. There were ones younger than me who still looked as if their hiking days were over long ago. KillMe
      You're doing it right. Staying physically active is key. My dad really wants to go hiking with me. He has bad knees and can't walk very far and has an ICD (implanted defibrillator).
      TJ, figure out a way to get Dad out hiking even if it's not hiking as you'd do it.
      Make an old man happy! ( I use that term "old" figuratively of course cause some would use it to describe me too)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

You're doing it right. Staying physically active is key. My dad really wants to go hiking with me. He has bad knees and can't walk very far and has an ICD (implanted defibrillator).
      Guarantee you the heart and soul of that unit was made just across the hall from where I sit this very minute :D
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Guarantee you the heart and soul of that unit was made just across the hall from where I sit this very minute :D
      Give them a big kiss for me.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I met Baltimore Jack and thought he was nice enough but not someone I felt chummy with. He certainly is more approachable than others I met. His 15 mile spreadsheet on TOS was one of the best resources I found for what planning I did. Maybe he will let us put a copy on this site.
      Can you post a link?

hikerboy wrote:

odd man out wrote:

i noticed some people complaining about the language, and ask myself "really?"
      Most school playgrounds are 'R' rated for adult language.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I met Baltimore Jack and thought he was nice enough but not someone I felt chummy with. He certainly is more approachable than others I met. His 15 mile spreadsheet on TOS was one of the best resources I found for what planning I did. Maybe he will let us put a copy on this site.
      Can you post a link?
      No.
      I can't/won't access the site.