Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Going to see AWITW in an hour. Woo hoo.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trebor wrote:

I just saw it myself. I thought it was a funny movie and laughed out loud a number of times. I didn't critique the movie as it pertains to accuracy of hiking or of the AT.

My guess is that 75% off the people in the theater were 60 yoa or older. I don't foresee many of them hitting the trail any time soon.

Both Redford and Nolte nailed their rolls, especially Nolte.
      This was my take as well. The theater was filled with seniors...who gabbed more than the kids at a Friday night movie on the first day of summer.
    • milkman wrote:

socks wrote:

I wonder if when astronauts get together after seeing say "Appolo 13 they say things like "well the flux capacitor was completely outta rotation with the anti-gravity modulators according to manual C-6 of the ladies auxiliary unit" or
      "I hope they don't make it back, they didn't deserve it"

In the words of Chaz Barkley~"I might be wrong, but I doubt it"
      appalachiantrials.com/what-a-w…nd-the-appalachian-trail/
      Having read the book, and listen to the audio book many times while walking, it was hard to remain objective, especially after perusing some of the reviews...but I did it. I love movies in general and took these reviews with a grain of salt and in the end...a Coke and a Smile. Good movie. :)
    • OzJacko wrote:

Things that annoyed me a little included the hiking poles never used,
      bryson hiked in 1996; i wonder how widespread the use of hiking poles was then? no one - and that is not an exaggeration - used poles in 1988. i believe people started using them in the 90s but i don't know at what point they became part of the required uniform for a thru.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

bryson hiked in 1996; i wonder how widespread the use of hiking poles was then? no one - and that is not an exaggeration - used poles in 1988. i believe people started using them in the 90s but i don't know at what point they became part of the required uniform for a thru.
      I saw many people using them. Perhaps the message there is you may think you need all this stuff to hike, so you buy it, but you don't really need all this stuff...funny how life is like that as well.
    • No poles among thrus in 1990 either. I started seeing them in the very late 1990s, and bought my first pair in 2002. I just retired that pair, the Long Trail did 'em in.

Edit: On the other hand, poles were definitely in use among winter peakbaggers in 1990, and to this day.
    • socks wrote:

I wonder if when astronauts get together after seeing say "Appolo 13 they say things like "well the flux capacitor was completely outta rotation with the anti-gravity modulators according to manual C-6 of the ladies auxiliary unit" or
      "I hope they don't make it back, they didn't deserve it"

In the words of Chaz Barkley~"I might be wrong, but I doubt it"
      I heard once that Jim Lovell reviewed the movie: "It had me on the edge of my seat, waiting to see if I was going to make it back."

rafe wrote:

No poles among thrus in 1990 either. I started seeing them in the very late 1990s, and bought my first pair in 2002. I just retired that pair, the Long Trail did 'em in.

Edit: On the other hand, poles were definitely in use among winter peakbaggers in 1990, and to this day.
      Even in the 1970s, I used ski poles with snowshoes (or with skis, of course). How do you do winter peakbagging without snowshoes or skis, anyway?
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AK: I don't always use snowshoes on winter hikes, though I usually carry them. If the trail's been packed down by prior hikers, they may not be necessary. If the trail is mostly ice, you need crampons, not snowshoes. But you already knew all that.

I don't bushwhack, I tend to stay on marked trails.
    • rafe wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

books are like tv for smart people
      For sure. ;)
      I wonder, can a movie ever have the same impact as the book on which it's based? Historical precedents, one way or the other? Reading a book requires a certain commitment of time and intellectual effort. A movie, not so much.
      Doesn't stand a chance unless they make a mini-series out of it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • rafe wrote:

AK: I don't always use snowshoes on winter hikes, though I usually carry them. If the trail's been packed down by prior hikers, they may not be necessary. If the trail is mostly ice, you need crampons, not snowshoes. But you already knew all that.

I don't bushwhack, I tend to stay on marked trails.
      Agreed on all of the above. I put on the snowshoes sooner than most others do, because I hate tripping over other people's postholes and don't want to be part of the problem.

Over on this side of Lake Champlain, peakbagging practically implies bushwhacking. 20 of the Adirondack 46 and 14 of the Catskilll 35 are trailless. (By contrast, one of the New Hampshire 4000's is trailless, and its unmarked trail is very well defined and easy to follow.)
    • I sure am glad hiking poles became common before I started backpacking. I hate to imagine where my arthritic knees would be without them. =O

Probably not 2/3 done with the AT and around 85% done with the Ouachita Trail.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I had no problem with them not using the poles except they were strapped to the packs the whole time. If you don't use them you don't carry them.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I didn't see poles in use much till late 90's. I've tried them but seem to be of limited use to me. I much prefer a long ice axe. I can hook trees & rocks on a steep climb, gives me a "third point" in precarious situations, & could always be used for self defense. What I like most about it is it can dig an awesome cathole in no time & helps me keep balance when squatting!
    • rhjanes wrote:

I used a pole in the 1970's....except it was a 4 or 5 foot tall stick I found along the trail. I tossed it no later than the trail head.
      Same here for me with the single hiking stick. Started around 12 years old. First time I ever saw the use of the two pole method was 1973 on Blood Mountain. An older guy came walking up with 2 ski poles while we were all sitting around shootin' the breeze. A kid from England was starting his thru-hike and he questioned the guy about it and he gave us his reasoning why he used them. Made as much sense to me then as it does today. Saw the kid later on that day down at Neel's buying 2 matching hiking poles for about 80 bucks. Thought to myself - man that kids got a lot of money. Over 40 years later the price is still about the same.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I didn't see poles in use much till late 90's. I've tried them but seem to be of limited use to me. I much prefer a long ice axe. I can hook trees & rocks on a steep climb, gives me a "third point" in precarious situations, & could always be used for self defense. What I like most about it is it can dig an awesome cathole in no time & helps me keep balance when squatting!
      I haven't seen any thru-hikers carrying ice axes. That's one piece of gear I don't own yet. Most likely if I get more serious about winter hiking, I will.
    • I expect a lot of the effect of the book will be on foreigners.
      Also the older demographic was the same as I observed here but that would be mostly because that is the hiking/bushwalking normal demographic here.
      Over 50's are probably the largest segment of thruhikers here. Over 70's are not uncommon.
      There are no "frat packs" on the Bib.
      :)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Not needed for AT but PCT it was. Saved me in a few slips & many times I used it to cut steps in early morning icy snow when I didn't have crampons.
      Not needed on the A-T in prime hiking season. Definitely needed in a New England winter. But Up North, we don't do long distance hiking in winter. We switch to peakbagging.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Not needed for AT but PCT it was. Saved me in a few slips & many times I used it to cut steps in early morning icy snow when I didn't have crampons.
      Not needed on the A-T in prime hiking season. Definitely needed in a New England winter. But Up North, we don't do long distance hiking in winter. We switch to peakbagging.
      A New England winter is precisely when I would tend to avoid peaks the most.
      :whistling: Coffee.gif
    • Yall are funny... bitching and moaning about an unimportant detail like the hiking poles and yet none of you noticed the hatchet strapped to Katz's pack?

And while everyone quibbles over unimportant minutiae, I'll point out that the film was an absolutely accurate portrayal of hiking.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

Yall are funny... bitching and moaning about an unimportant detail like the hiking poles and yet none of you noticed the hatchet strapped to Katz's pack?

And while everyone quibbles over unimportant minutiae, I'll point out that the film was an absolutely accurate portrayal of hiking.
      You're right. I missed the hatchet.
      I assume your decision it's accurate is because all us 50+ hikers never stop bitching when we're out there...?
      :)
    • OzJacko wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

A New England winter is precisely when I would tend to avoid peaks the most. :whistling: Coffee.gif
      In the right conditions it's quite beautiful and rewarding. No bugs! And sometimes, better views than in summer because the trees are bare. Winter hiking is very popular in the White Mountains. One big difference for me: I don't hike alone in the winter, unless I know for sure it's a very well-traveled and well-marked trail.
    • I would have liked to seen some more shenanigans from Katz...like going on a recon for some shoe laces, maybe even birthing a big ole @#%$ outside Mary ellen's tent or teaching the unsuspecting newbie how to use paracord to set snares for shelter mice with one hand while the other absconds some pop tarts outta of the newbies pack.
    • socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I saw many people using them. Perhaps the message there is you may think you need all this stuff to hike, so you buy it, but you don't really need all this stuff...funny how life is like that as well.
      One cannot use hiking poles without looking a bit awkward. Poles mean that your hands are always full and your stride is goofy. I expect that it would have made for terrible acting if they had tried to film them while bouncing around the trail on those things.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Da Wolf wrote:

poles are for weenies. seriously.
      There was about 2' of snow on the ground when we crossed the Grayson Highlands area, 20 miles is a decent walk any time but in that snow it was something else, never would have made it without the poles, my shoulders were hurting so from slipping every step and catching myself with my poles that when I got to Orchard Shelter I didn't believe I could hike the next day...a good night's rest and I was good to go next day.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Hello, my name is Oscar......Oscar Mayer.
      I can tell you this, after someone finally talked me into trying poles....two torn up knees appreciate them.
      whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showi…euser=10786&cutoffdate=-1
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Da Wolf wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Hello, my name is Oscar......Oscar Mayer.I can tell you this, after someone finally talked me into trying poles....two torn up knees appreciate them.
      obviously i posed with them so goobers like you could post the pic thinkin' they caught my lyin'
      just call it a moment of weakness
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Da Wolf wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Hello, my name is Oscar......Oscar Mayer.I can tell you this, after someone finally talked me into trying poles....two torn up knees appreciate them.
      obviously i posed with them so goobers like you could post the pic thinkin' they caught my lyin'
      Obviously