Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

a very short walk

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking in terrain you will be hiking in is the best. Not always practicle. Any hiking/walking will help. When I was training to hike the PCT I lived on Nantucket Island. Highest point was just over 100'. I would normally bike into work & walk home with a ten - 15 pound day pack. Only three miles each way but bike ride kept me in areobic shape & the hike home worked on my legs even more. I did get a short traing hike in befor I hit the trail where it was 18 miles to the first reliable water.

In short: if you can't train in actual conditions, train in a way to build what you need for them. Backpacking is mostly mental. then comes legs & lungs.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

The first time I took this Scout troop on an overnight, most of them wondered why I brought several newspapers. shredded newsprint is great for firestarter.
      I haven't seen a kid yet that couldn't start a fire.....they just need to do it outside more often.

I've seen a few that couldn't. They just put some logs in a fireplace and put a match to it. They were surprised that the logs didn't light. Apparently they were used to those store logs that burn without kindling.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Drybones wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

The first time I took this Scout troop on an overnight, most of them wondered why I brought several newspapers. shredded newsprint is great for firestarter.
      I haven't seen a kid yet that couldn't start a fire.....they just need to do it outside more often.
      Campfires should always be started outside
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • JimBlue wrote:

I've seen a few that couldn't. They just put some logs in a fireplace and put a match to it. They were surprised that the logs didn't light. Apparently they were used to those store logs that burn without kindling.
      I had a buddy in college that was like that. A couple of us showed him how to lay a fire.

Next time, he almost got it right. A couple of us came in to find the common room full of smoke. "[expletive deleted], Caldwell, open the [expletive deleted] damper!" :cursing:

"What's a damper?" ?(

Lesson: Be sure you explain all the steps.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Kathy and I went for a short walk today.
      The rain has tapered off to a very light drizzle and so we only saw 1 other person on the trails.
      I wore my hiking boots since I thought there would be a lot of standing water and mud, but I was wrong.
      Despite the down pour of yesterday there were few puddles because the area has a lot of sand and small rocks which makes for good drainage. We walked for about 2 hours but I have no idea how many miles since I really wasn't paying attention. It was good to get out for a little while.