Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Anish announces FKT attempt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• from her fb page

"1,000 miles deep into this endeavor and no one asks if I am a day hiker anymore.
      I've taken on the look of someone who has been through something. The slightly desperate look in eyes that are hungry for miles as well as meals. My chest has flattened, my hipbelt sags uselessly. Every ounce of baby fat has melted off of my legs revealing muscles of steel, etched by miles, mountains, and propulsion. My dress is tattered. I'm filthy and I stink. My stride is all business, covering uneven terrain without difficulty.
      No, no one can think that I am anything but what I am: A100% pure‪#‎Southbounder‬."
      its all good
    • PaulMags wrote:

Personally, I find FKT attempts boring.

The athleticism is impressive. And it is cool a person found something THEY like.

But..well..I have as much interest in an FKT as any athletic endeavor: Which is to say not much.

Something like a Brooks Range Traverse? Make up your own route, plot it out on maps..no trail angels or guidebooks? Now THAT'S impressive...
      In other words, it's like watching soccer!!! When she gets to the end we can all yell GGGGOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
    • odd man out wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

The athleticism is impressive. And it is cool a person found something THEY like.

But..well..I have as much interest in an FKT as any athletic endeavor: Which is to say not much.

Something like a Brooks Range Traverse? Make up your own route, plot it out on maps..no trail angels or guidebooks? Now THAT'S impressive...
      In other words, it's like watching soccer!!! When she gets to the end we can all yell GGGGOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!!!
    • PaulMags wrote:

odd man out wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

odd man out wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I take it back, this chess match was actually quite interesting.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• max.patch wrote:

no one should disclose the location of another hiker without their permission. and that goes double if the hiker is female.
      I don't see it this way because it is a FKT attempt.
      Aren't they supposed to have it like an open book and allow others to hike along?
      If it wasn't a FKT attempt Id have no problem not giving out a hikers whereabouts. But this isn't the case. You can't have it both ways, can you?
    • Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

no one should disclose the location of another hiker without their permission. and that goes double if the hiker is female.
      I don't see it this way because it is a FKT attempt.Aren't they supposed to have it like an open book and allow others to hike along?
      If it wasn't a FKT attempt Id have no problem not giving out a hikers whereabouts. But this isn't the case. You can't have it both ways, can you?
      Good point.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I don't see it this way because it is a FKT attempt.Aren't they supposed to have it like an open book and allow others to hike along?
      jurek was different. his "crew" posted updates continually. he had a spot that posted his location in real time.

anish is the opposite. she has a spot for after the fact verification but the locations are not being posted FOR SAFETY as she hikes. she has specifically said she does not want anyone to look for her or hike with her. she posts occasional updates after the fact.

this is from her announcement. this sounds like someone who wants to be left alone:

"...Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time..."
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I don't see it this way because it is a FKT attempt.Aren't they supposed to have it like an open book and allow others to hike along?If it wasn't a FKT attempt Id have no problem not giving out a hikers whereabouts. But this isn't the case. You can't have it both ways, can you?
      jurek was different. his "crew" posted updates continually. he had a spot that posted his location in real time.
      anish is the opposite. she has a spot for after the fact verification but the locations are not being posted FOR SAFETY as she hikes. she has specifically said she does not want anyone to look for her or hike with her. she posts occasional updates after the fact.

this is from her announcement. this sounds like someone who wants to be left alone:

"...Per the main page suggestions I will provide a way for the public to follow along with my progress at facebook.com/AnishHikes. Please understand that the posts made there are in NO WAY an invitation for anyone to attempt to help me, find me, join me, or otherwise take away from the nature of a thru-hiker's journey. They are intended to document only, as suggested by this site. I will carry a SPOT beacon, although for safety, its logs will not be publicly available in real time..."
      I agree with you but OTOH there's something very public about attempting to set a record...any kind of record. Is it realistic to expect 100% privacy when you're doing something so noticeable? Even the average thru hiker can't expect 100% privacy.
    • Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Documenting? Yes. Posting in real time? No.

Real time locations got her in trouble on the PCT last year when people were tracking her down (with the best of intentions) and offering her help. This almost jeopardized her "unsupported" status.

I have also heard stories of at least two people who were attacked while posting real time updates on a solo hike. Natureboy was one and the other was a woman who was doing some sort of hike/paddle route for an FKT.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I don't see it this way because it is a FKT attempt.Aren't they supposed to have it like an open book and allow others to hike along?If it wasn't a FKT attempt Id have no problem not giving out a hikers whereabouts. But this isn't the case. You can't have it both ways, can you?

Ok so why even post something to the world that says Hey I am going for a worlds record and here's what I going to do blah blah but don't anyone try to follow along or see my progress- sounds kinda dumb to me or maybe she's like that marathon runner a while back who cheated and just jumped out at the finish line.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jurek was different. his "crew" posted updates continually. he had a spot that posted his location in real time.anish is the opposite. she has a spot for after the fact verification but the locations are not being posted FOR SAFETY as she hikes. she has specifically said she does not want anyone to look for her or hike with her. she posts occasional updates after the fact.

Ok so why even post something to the world that says Hey I am going for a worlds record and here's what I going to do blah blah but don't anyone try to follow along or see my progress- sounds kinda dumb to me or maybe she's like that marathon runner a while back who cheated and just jumped out at the finish line.
      I agree. FKT states ( Public Progress Acsess).
      To me that means we're allowed to know where she's at on the hike of a FKT.
    • Dmax wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jurek was different. his "crew" posted updates continually. he had a spot that posted his location in real time.anish is the opposite. she has a spot for after the fact verification but the locations are not being posted FOR SAFETY as she hikes. she has specifically said she does not want anyone to look for her or hike with her. she posts occasional updates after the fact.

I agree. FKT states ( Public Progress Acsess).To me that means we're allowed to know where she's at on the hike of a FKT.
      That's her business to post her location if she wants not ours, she owes us nothing.
      Posting the exact location of a solo hiker without their express permission is wrong, it doesn't matter how you try to justify it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Dmax wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

jurek was different. his "crew" posted updates continually. he had a spot that posted his location in real time.anish is the opposite. she has a spot for after the fact verification but the locations are not being posted FOR SAFETY as she hikes. she has specifically said she does not want anyone to look for her or hike with her. she posts occasional updates after the fact.this is from her announcement. this sounds like someone who wants to be left alone:

I agree. FKT states ( Public Progress Acsess).To me that means we're allowed to know where she's at on the hike of a FKT.
      That's her business to post her location if she wants not ours, she owes us nothing.Posting the exact location of a solo hiker without their express permission is wrong, it doesn't matter how you try to justify it.
      I agree.
    • have any of you read anish's blog. this is one incredible woman!
      what strikes me as remarkable is her attitude. every picture she posts shows someone obviously in love with the task at hand, totally loving her hike.
      i dont really care about the fkt- she's easy to root for, whether she does it or not.
      and i have a feeling she will.

runhikelivelove.blogspot.com/

twitter.com/AnishHikes
      its all good
    • from her fb page:
      “Running to finish first and win a trophy, that’s just material and that’s not why we run. We run because we are in the mountains, and when you’re in the mountains you feel that the mountain is strong, that the mountain is moving and that the mountain has a spirit. We push our bodies for introspection to know better who we are and feel that spirit. That’s why we run.” --Killian Jornet

And why I hike.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

have any of you read anish's blog. this is one incredible woman!
      what strikes me as remarkable is her attitude. every picture she posts shows someone obviously in love with the task at hand, totally loving her hike.
      i dont really care about the fkt- she's easy to root for, whether she does it or not.

twitter.com/AnishHikes
      I must be stupid because the only thing I can find on her blog are gear reviews.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

have any of you read anish's blog. this is one incredible woman!

twitter.com/AnishHikes
      I must be stupid because the only thing I can find on her blog are gear reviews.
      the later posts are almost all gear reviews, nutrition reviews. you have to go back a bit farther. also the ted talk is cool
      its all good
    • MountainMomma wrote:

Congrats Anish!

She just posted on FB she's done! Finished at 54:7:48.

:D so happy for you Anish!!!
      I am happy for her! :)

But on the other hand how do we know for sure since it appeared that she did not want anyone tracking her. ?(

The things I have read about her are impressive, so I guess we should give her the benefit of the doubt (until we know more). And at least there is a lot less controversy than Jurek.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

MountainMomma wrote:

Congrats Anish!

I am happy for her! :)
      But on the other hand how do we know for sure since it appeared that she did not want anyone tracking her. ?(

The things I have read about her are impressive, so I guess we should give her the benefit of the doubt (until we know more). And at least there is a lot less controversy than Jurek.
      Don't worry.
      I am sure Warren is sleuthing through her hike as we speak....
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Astro wrote:

MountainMomma wrote:

Congrats Anish!

I am happy for her! :) But on the other hand how do we know for sure since it appeared that she did not want anyone tracking her. ?(

Don't worry.I am sure Warren is sleuthing through her hike as we speak....
      i'm sure he'll let us know what he finds. this might be the excuse i need to crank up that facebook account again.
      2,000 miler
    • OzJacko wrote:

Astro wrote:

MountainMomma wrote:

Congrats Anish!

I am happy for her! :) But on the other hand how do we know for sure since it appeared that she did not want anyone tracking her. ?(

Don't worry.I am sure Warren is sleuthing through her hike as we speak....

So, he is a stalker ?
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.