Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

3 Thru-hikes You Don’t Have to Quit Your Job For

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 3 Thru-hikes You Don’t Have to Quit Your Job For

gossamergear.com/wp/3-thru-hik…ob-for?avad=3816_b93f7482

Home > 3 Thru-hikes You Don’t Have to Quit Your Job For
      3 Thru-hikes You Don’t Have to Quit Your Job For
      February 23, 2015
      [IMG:http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/aam-e1424702123672.jpg]
      In my twenties and thirties, I was single and unencumbered. My life consisted of working, saving money, and taking a long hike. I walked the length of the long green tunnel, traversed the crest and followed the great divide. My life consisted of wonderful memories, experiences and moments made over the years.
      Then my priorities shifted a bit. I married Mrs Mags, formed a community I care about and started to plan for more than my next-big-hike. I, frankly, don’t want to be gone for four to six months at a time anymore. Four to six weeks sounds about right.
      Currently, my goal in life is the creating of flexibility so I may attain my less time intense goals on a regular basis. Where I can maintain a marriage, a community and a career and still explore the backcountry for an extended period of time.
      In the mean-time, I still need my outdoor fix. Working full time, while working towards a goal of more flexible time, means I have vacations that range from one week or, if I am lucky, one month.
      These lesser length hikes help maintain my sanity and get my needed outdoor fix.
      The type of journeys I enjoy doing in this time frame are different than the usual suspects of the Long Trail, the John Muir Trail or the Wonderland Trail. These more well-known trails are great, but I prefer trails a little more off the beaten path…or perhaps have no path at all.
      Here’s some suggestions that may work for people in a similar position.
      One Week
      The nearly 100 mile long Highline Trail in the Uinta Mountains of Utah, commonly called the Uinta Highline Trail, takes in glacier carved valleys, is within striking distance of the highest point in Utah and starts in the sage brush and traverses through alpine terrain. The Uinta Mountains themselves are said to have nearly 2000 lakes, contain the largest expanse of above tree line area in the lower 48 second only to Colorado’s San Juan Mountains and is the rare range that goes from east to west.
      The trail itself is not defined in many areas and does require a person to pay attention to the terrain ahead of them. But the rewards of hiking this relatively unused wilderness area, other than Kings Peak itself, are excellent. A memorable adventure for anyone.
      [IMG:http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/uinta-e1424702503136.jpg]
      Two or Three Weeks
      The almost 300 mile long Benton MacKaye Trail (BMT ) is a great way to see the beauty of the southern Appalachians without the crowds of the Appalachian Trail.
      Thick stands of hardwoods, groves of mountain laurel, old communities and great views off the ridges…all to be seen on the BMT.
      [IMG:http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/BMT-use-this-one-instead-e1424702240627.jpg]
      A speedy and disciplined hiker could do the trail in two weeks. Or a more leisurely pace can be done in three weeks.
      Either way, hiking the BMT is a wonderful experience that is perfect for the person wishing to experience the Appalachians with a little more solitude.
      Four Weeks
      Though getting more popular, being a Colorado resident, I have a soft spot for The Colorado Trail. At 500 miles long, it is something a person with a light pack and who is in shape can do in four weeks without too much trouble.
      Some incredible scenery can be seen, amazing ridge walks done and by being such a well-maintained trail, The Colorado Trail is an excellent introduction to long-distance hiking in the American West.
      [IMG:http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/stony-pass-e1424702259318.jpg]
      Highlights include the San Juan range, the new Collegiate West option which follows the Continental Divide and the aspen found in the lower mountains outside of the Denver start.
      [IMG:http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/aaa_lcw_along-the-ct-e1424702168697.jpg]
      Choose your own adventure
      Another option, and one I find very satisfying, is to put together your own route. Grab some maps, see what looks promising and go. No guidebook, no iPhone app or preset waypoints needed. Plotting out something that incorporates old mining routes, off-trail travel and existing trails or similar is an excellent way to make the most use of precious time off. Miles are not as important this way. It is more about the days out. When there is no trail, mileage goes down but the exploration, sense of discovery and reveling in something unique goes up.
      [IMG:http://gossamergear.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/aca-e1424702222680.jpg]
      See what that trail-less pass on the map looks like when up high. Explore that high alpine lake with no name and see if the fishing is good. And enjoy the view from the unnamed peak that has not been scaled in a long time.
      Map and compass skills are needed. Sense of adventure encouraged. And a joy in the outdoors mandatory.
      This post was contributed by Gossamer Gear Trail Ambassador Paul “PMags” Magnanti
      its all good
    • Suggest adding the Lake Tahoe Rim trail to this list. At 170+ mile, it's doable by a motivated hiker in <9days with incredible views. Resupply is time consuming as well as accessing H2O but with planning possible.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Two that I've done this summer: Wapac Trail (20 miles) and Monadnock-Sunapee Trail (50 miles). Then of course there's the Long Trail, 272 miles. But it's a gnarly one. Northern LT is, on average, comparable to the AT in the White Mtns.

The post was edited 1 time, last by rafe ().

• rafe wrote:

So BMT is a hundred-mile-a-week kind of trail? I'm surprised to read that.

Last time I did 100 miles in a week was five years ago. 15 mile/day is a pretty serious pace for a LASHer.
      definitely doable.but its too beautiful to hurry through. my first hike was 23 days with 2 zeros. this year i took 30. i think itll be a bit easier next go around as theyve been out doing trail maintenance this summer in the "heart of darkness", a remote area with no easy access, that was full of blowdon that slows yu down quite a bit. most of the trails ups and downs are fairly easy.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

Last time I did 100 miles in a week was five years ago. 15 mile/day is a pretty serious pace for a LASHer.
      definitely doable.but its too beautiful to hurry through. my first hike was 23 days with 2 zeros. this year i took 30. i think itll be a bit easier next go around as theyve been out doing trail maintenance this summer in the "heart of darkness", a remote area with no easy access, that was full of blowdon that slows yu down quite a bit. most of the trails ups and downs are fairly easy.
      Which part is the Heart of Darkness?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

north of unicoi gap
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

north of unicoi gap
      that was a great part
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TSo BMT is a hundred-mile-a-week kind of trail? I'm surprised to read that.

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

north of unicoi gap
      That is true. I had a hard time enjoying that section because I was so anxious. The fallen leaves totally covered the trail.
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

rafe wrote:

north of unicoi gap
      that was a great part
      I will have to go back and do it again. It's been my least favorite section so far.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

And thoroughly enjoyed myself.
      Well, you're not exactly the average hiker. :)

You are right. I am 5'6". The average height for men in the USA is 5'10".... :)

I already knew that you're much faster than I am. You don't have to rub it in. I wouldn't enjoy a 2-week run of 20+ mile days.

Being serious, I am not fast. I just, at times, enjoy walking all day esp when solo.
    • PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

I already knew that you're much faster than I am. You don't have to rub it in. I wouldn't enjoy a 2-week run of 20+ mile days.

Being serious, I am not fast. I just, at times, enjoy walking all day esp when solo.
      its called "doing it wrong"
      its all good
    • PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

not much else to do when solo except stop and read a book
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

A few things that I can think of, mostly because I did all of them while solo hiking last week, listed in no particular order:

Fuss over taking a picture or making a sketch.
      Take a nap.
      Catalog the wildflowers.
      Clear a waterbar.
      See if there's interesting ironmongery among the ruins.
      Make notes about where the ruins are so as to compare with old tax rolls and try to link to local history.
      Trash out a firepit.
      Skip stones.
      Swim.
      Move a blowdown, or at least limb it if it's too heavy to lift.
      Locate a benchmark.
      Pick blackberries.
      Take a bath.
      Write.
      Pick an apple from an abandoned orchard.
      Watch a beaver working.
      Map the trail.

And, yes, literally, smell the roses (there were a couple of rosebushes at a somewhat disused ranger station).

No, I suppose there isn't much to do when hiking solo and doing short mileage. (I did 27 miles in 2.5 days.) I guess I'll just have to bring fishing gear next time so that I won't be bored. Then I won't have time to hike at all. :whistling:
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

A few things that I can think of, mostly because I did all of them while solo hiking last week, listed in no particular order:

Take a nap.
      Catalog the wildflowers.
      Clear a waterbar.
      Make notes about where the ruins are so as to compare with old tax rolls and try to link to local history.
      Trash out a firepit.
      Skip stones.
      Swim.
      Locate a benchmark.
      Pick blackberries.
      Take a bath.
      Write.
      Watch a beaver working.
      Map the trail.

And, yes, literally, smell the roses (there were a couple of rosebushes at a somewhat disused ranger station).

No, I suppose there isn't much to do when hiking solo and doing short mileage. (I did 27 miles in 2.5 days.) I guess I'll just have to bring fishing gear next time so that I won't be bored. Then I won't have time to hike at all. :whistling:
      knit some socks. :D
      Images
      • image.jpg

88.76 kB, 450×600, viewed 346 times
    • TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Take a nap.
      Catalog the wildflowers.
      Clear a waterbar.
      Trash out a firepit.
      Skip stones.
      Swim.
      Locate a benchmark.
      Pick blackberries.
      Take a bath.
      Write.
      Watch a beaver working.
      Map the trail.

I hope that is light weight yarn and needles. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

You don't have to be fast...just put in the hours... a 9-hour day consistently nets me 20 miles at a comfortable pace.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

You don't have to be fast...just put in the hours... a 9-hour day consistently nets me 20 miles at a comfortable pace.
      If I do 12-13 hours I usually get 15-18 miles. There are advantages to being slow, I meet a lot more people going the same direction as I am. :)

I am actually missing a lot of them that I was hiking with, that are probably in MA or VT by now.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Take a nap.
      Catalog the wildflowers.
      Clear a waterbar.
      Trash out a firepit.
      Skip stones.
      Swim.
      Locate a benchmark.
      Pick blackberries.
      Take a bath.
      Write.
      Watch a beaver working.
      Map the trail.

Voodoo Sock. :D
    • i posted this a couple years ago.

max.patch wrote:

TED NUGENT INTERVIEW....1977...have a look inside the mind of a man that proclaims himself to be a patriot, but here he tells how he got a 4F.... Nugent is a self admitted draft dodger.

Interviewer: How did you get out of the draft?

Ted Nugent: Ted was a young boy, appearing to be a hippie but quite opposite in fact, working hard and playing hard, playing rock and roll like a deviant. People would question my sanity, I played so much. So I got my notice to be in the draft. Do you think I was gonna lay down my guitar and go play army? Give me a break! I was busy doin' it to it. I had a career Jack. If I was walkin' around, hippying down, getting' loaded and pickin' my ass like your common curs, I'd say "Hey yeah, go in the army. Beats the poop out of scuffin' around in the gutters." But I wasn't a gutter dog. I was a hard workin', mother****in' rock and roll musician.

I got my physical notice 30 days prior to. Well, on that day I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin' and I was 18, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin' kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I'd drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.

See, I approached the whole thing like, Ted Nugent, cool hard-workin' dude, is gonna wreak havoc on these imbeciles in the armed forces. I'm gonna play their own game, and I'm gonna destroy 'em. Now my whole body is crusted in poop and piss. I was ill. And three or four days before, I started stayin' awake. I was close to death, but I was in control. I was extremely antidrug as I've always been, but I snorted some crystal methedrine. Talk about one wounded motherf*cker. A guy put up four lines, and it was for all four of us, but I didn't know and I'm vacuuming that poop right up. I was a walking, talking hunk of human poop. I was six-foot-three of sin. So the guys took me down to the physical, and my nerves, my emotions were distraught. I was not a good person. I was wounded. But as painful and nauseous as it was — 'cause I was really into bein' clean and on the ball — I made gutter swine hippies look like football players. I was deviano.

So I went in, and those guys in uniform couldn't believe the smell. They were ridiculin' me and pushin' me around and I was cryin', but all the time I was laughin' to myself. When they stuck the needle in my arm for the blood test I passed out, and when I came to they were kicking me into the wall. Then they made everybody take off their pants, and I did, and this sergeant says, "Oh my God, put those back on! You f*cking swine you!" Then they had a urine test and I couldn't piss, But my poop was just like ooze, man, so I poop in the cup and put it on the counter. I had poop on my hand and my arm. The guy almost puked. I was so proud. I knew I had these chumps beat. The last thing I remember was wakin' up in the ear test booth and they were sweepin' up. So I went home and cleaned up.

They took a putty knife to me. I got the street rats out of my hair, ate some good steaks, beans, potatoes, cottage cheese, milk. A couple of days and I was ready to kick ass. And in the mail I got this big juicy 4-F. They'd call dead people before they’d call my ass. But you know the funny thing about it? I'd make an incredible army man. I'd be a colonel before you knew what hit you, and I'd have the baddest bunch of motherf*ckin' killers you'd ever seen in my platoon. But I just wasn't into it. I was too busy doin' my own thing, you know?
      2,000 miler
    • Drybones wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

There are so many things that affect my hiking that I'm rarely consistent. One day I hiked 16 miles comfortably and the next I was miserable by mile 4.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I did it in two weeks.

You are right. I am 5'6". The average height for men in the USA is 5'10".... :) I already knew that you're much faster than I am. You don't have to rub it in. I wouldn't enjoy a 2-week run of 20+ mile days.

There are so many things that affect my hiking that I'm rarely consistent. One day I hiked 16 miles comfortably and the next I was miserable by mile 4.
      Identify and kill.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

i posted this a couple years ago.

max.patch wrote:

TED NUGENT INTERVIEW....1977...have a look inside the mind of a man that proclaims himself to be a patriot, but here he tells how he got a 4F.... Nugent is a self admitted draft dodger.

Interviewer: How did you get out of the draft?

Ted Nugent: Ted was a young boy, appearing to be a hippie but quite opposite in fact, working hard and playing hard, playing rock and roll like a deviant. People would question my sanity, I played so much. So I got my notice to be in the draft. Do you think I was gonna lay down my guitar and go play army? Give me a break! I was busy doin' it to it. I had a career Jack. If I was walkin' around, hippying down, getting' loaded and pickin' my ass like your common curs, I'd say "Hey yeah, go in the army. Beats the poop out of scuffin' around in the gutters." But I wasn't a gutter dog. I was a hard workin', mother****in' rock and roll musician.

I got my physical notice 30 days prior to. Well, on that day I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin' and I was 18, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin' kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I'd drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.

See, I approached the whole thing like, Ted Nugent, cool hard-workin' dude, is gonna wreak havoc on these imbeciles in the armed forces. I'm gonna play their own game, and I'm gonna destroy 'em. Now my whole body is crusted in poop and piss. I was ill. And three or four days before, I started stayin' awake. I was close to death, but I was in control. I was extremely antidrug as I've always been, but I snorted some crystal methedrine. Talk about one wounded motherf*cker. A guy put up four lines, and it was for all four of us, but I didn't know and I'm vacuuming that poop right up. I was a walking, talking hunk of human poop. I was six-foot-three of sin. So the guys took me down to the physical, and my nerves, my emotions were distraught. I was not a good person. I was wounded. But as painful and nauseous as it was — 'cause I was really into bein' clean and on the ball — I made gutter swine hippies look like football players. I was deviano.

So I went in, and those guys in uniform couldn't believe the smell. They were ridiculin' me and pushin' me around and I was cryin', but all the time I was laughin' to myself. When they stuck the needle in my arm for the blood test I passed out, and when I came to they were kicking me into the wall. Then they made everybody take off their pants, and I did, and this sergeant says, "Oh my God, put those back on! You f*cking swine you!" Then they had a urine test and I couldn't piss, But my poop was just like ooze, man, so I poop in the cup and put it on the counter. I had poop on my hand and my arm. The guy almost puked. I was so proud. I knew I had these chumps beat. The last thing I remember was wakin' up in the ear test booth and they were sweepin' up. So I went home and cleaned up.

They took a putty knife to me. I got the street rats out of my hair, ate some good steaks, beans, potatoes, cottage cheese, milk. A couple of days and I was ready to kick ass. And in the mail I got this big juicy 4-F. They'd call dead people before they’d call my ass. But you know the funny thing about it? I'd make an incredible army man. I'd be a colonel before you knew what hit you, and I'd have the baddest bunch of motherf*ckin' killers you'd ever seen in my platoon. But I just wasn't into it. I was too busy doin' my own thing, you know?

Anyone else see that video where he was bear hunting and he hits a grizzly with an arrow, the bear takes off and so does Teddy, hooting and hollering while chasing the bear? The camera guy with him was like, "Hey, wait! You can do that, it's too dangerous!" But Teddy didn't hear him cause he was already gone chasing after the bear at full tilt.

True or not, the above claim is disturbing on many levels. As a fan of that MotorCity Madman, I obviously don't want to think bad about him. But... Well, I also just hate inconsistency. And there's a lot of that in the rest of the story.

Somewhere in all this, the real story is not being told, and that kind of blows.

Snopes wrote:

The account quoted at the head of this article is a portion of an interview with rocker Ted Nugent published by High Times magazine in 1977, during which the guitarist claimed he had engaged in similar behavior to deliberately fail a physical exam in 1967 and be qualified 4-F (not acceptable for military service). Questioned about that account some thirty years later (by which time Nugent was known as a staunch political conservative, a supporter of the Republican Party, and and advocate of hunting and gun ownership rights) in an interview with the UK's Independent newspaper, Nugent disclaimed that previous account of his draft-evading activities as story he had made up and fed to a gullible High Times reporter and asserted that he actually had avoided the draft through the legitimate means of a student deferment:
      He has the rage, but he doesn't have the war record. At 18, he was called up to serve in Vietnam.

"In 1977 you gave an interview to High Times [the cannabis user's journal of record] where you claimed you defecated in your clothes to avoid the draft."

"I never s**t my pants to get out of the draft," says Nugent, good-naturedly.

"You also told them you took crystal meth before the medical — as a result of which, and I quote: 'I got this big juicy 4F.'"

"Unbelievable. Meth," he replies, in a tone of deep sarcasm. "Yes, that's my drug of choice. You've got to realise that these interviewers would arrive with glazed eyes and I would make stories up. I never did crystal meth. And I never pooped my pants."

"But you did dodge the draft."

"I had a 1Y [student deferment]. I enrolled at Oakland Community College."

"You said then that you wanted 'to teach the stupid bastards in the military a lesson'. I'd have thought you'd have loved the army. Guns. Travel. Danger."

"Back then, I didn't even understand what World War II was."

"So basically," — I admit that I have, unaccountably, started to speak Nugent — "you didn't want to get your Michigan ass blown off in Vietnam."

"Correct. I did not want to get my ass blown off in Vietnam."
      Clearly, though, Ted Nugent didn't make up the tale about his snorting crystal meth just before his pre-induction physical as a one-off jape to fool a High Times reporter, as he said the same thing in an interview with CREEM magazine:

Q: "Are you still a hard case on drugs?"

A: "Real hard. I have never done a drug in my life. I have never smoked a joint in my life. I took two tokes off a joint with the MC5 one night and almost gagged and thought it was stupid. And that's it. I took two tokes off a joint once. I snorted one line of cocaine. And one line of crystal methedrine before my draft physical — but God, that was worth it because I wanted to see the look on the Sergeant's face. That's it for drugs."
      An analysis of Ted Nugent's Selective Service classification record doesn't prove or disprove either version of the story. He did indeed receive a high school student deferment (1-S) in 1967 and then (as he stated) a college student deferment (2-S) in 1968. However, he was reclassified as "available for military service" (1-A) in 1969 and then subsequently rejected as a result of a physical examination and given a 1-Y classification.

(The 1-Y classification denoted persons "qualified for service only in time of war or national emergency" and was generally assigned to registrants who had exhibited medical conditions that were limiting but not disabling.) After the 1-Y classification was eliminated by the Selective Service at the end of 1971, Nugent was reclassified as 4-F ("registrant not qualified for any military service").

So, Ted Nugent did have a student deferment for part of the time he was eligible for the Vietnam-era draft, but he also did fail a physical examination and receive a medical exemption (which, as far as we know, he has neither acknowledged nor explained). But in the absence of more specific information about the results of that physical examination and the reasons for his medical exemption, it cannot be ascertained how truthful the account Nugent gave to High Times magazine back in 1977 might be. (Ted Nugent's press representative did not respond to a request for additional information about this subject.)

So what is the real story? Seems to keep changing. Not something I ever wanted to know, but WTH, this scenario seems to get more common with famous people everyday. From NBC's Brian Williams to the infamous Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle. Why isn't it enough to just be successful at something? Why do they so often try to re-write history instead of just owning their mistakes like some of us commoners?

For once I'd just like to hear myself say, "Great job, self! Why don't you just take the day off."
    • They have big egos, or they wouldn't be out in the public view.

I don't think much of jerks, and Ted Nugent is a jerk. If you like him, that is up to you.

I volunteered so I wouldn't be drafted. Word back then was draftees went to combat in Viet Nam. I passed my draft physical and the written test. About a month later I joined the U.S. Navy. The ship I was stationed on patrolled the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea watching Soviet ships and aircraft, and they watched us. Several of my high school buddies died in Viet Nam. I helped find bodies of an air crew killed in a training accident in the north Atlantic Ocean. We found part of one person. The other 4 were lost forever.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.