Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear choices from those who know

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AnotherKevin wrote:

My gear list from a hike last fall. Since then I've worn out another pair of trail runners, and at BirdBrain's suggestion, I switched to New Balance MT610's. They're great - lightweight and dry fast.
      As I'm in the midst of researching shoe replacement...do you find these stout enough for multi-day hikes with a 30lb pack?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • As promised.
      2 pics of my lighter.
      The blurry one should show the blow torch nature of the flame.
      It can be pointed down into an alcohol stove.
      Images
      • 20150731_174933.jpg

73.04 kB, 800×450, viewed 297 times
      • 20150731_174951.jpg

61.28 kB, 800×450, viewed 302 times
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Dan76 wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

My gear list from a hike last fall. Since then I've worn out another pair of trail runners, and at BirdBrain's suggestion, I switched to New Balance MT610's. They're great - lightweight and dry fast.
      As I'm in the midst of researching shoe replacement...do you find these stout enough for multi-day hikes with a 30lb pack?
      With a heavy pack, I also use green Superfeet. The stock insoles don't give me enough support.

The shoes last a little while. In the implausible event that I'd do a really long hike, I'd plan to replace them multiple times, because a few hundred miles is about the limit. By contrast, my Big Clunky Leather Boots last darned near forever, but who wants to hike in Big Clunky Leather Boots all the time?
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Once I'm in my tent I'm not gettin' out till time to hit it. Used to get out in the morning and put together something to eat and all that crap. HB got me out of that routine. Now I pack up and head out. Knock out a few miles or more, work up a good appetite then stop and eat. I carry 2 water/piss bottles (they're interchangeable) and one Evernew.
      Never get out of the tent to piss especially after mosquito-thirty. Piss in one of the bottles (doesn't matter which one)
      all through the night. If it gets full I piss in the Jetboil. In the morning rinse, top off and go. You may want to keep that in mind if you ever want to borrow my Jetboil or need some water. Disclaimer - I never piss in my Evernew.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • socks wrote:

odd man out wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

As promised.
      2 pics of my lighter.
      That lighter is all kinds of sexy.
      ...and not allowed on airplanes which could be problematic if flying to the trail head.
      it does have that lethality look to it.
      I would be very afraid to light an alcohol stove with that blow torch.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

odd man out wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

As promised.
      2 pics of my lighter.
      ...and not allowed on airplanes which could be problematic if flying to the trail head.
      Don't forget to pull the pin first. And remember "light fuse and get away"
    • odd man out wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

As promised.
      2 pics of my lighter.
      It's been to USA and Europe in belly luggage.
      It does travel inside my stainless steel cup with lid.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

odd man out wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

As promised.
      2 pics of my lighter.
      It's been to USA and Europe in belly luggage.It does travel inside my stainless steel cup with lid.
      I'm calling the TSA right now, you criminal!

(extracted from tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items)

Flammable Items
      Carry-on?
      Checked?
      Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned.
      NO
      NO
    • hikerboy wrote:

i can't for the life of me fathom carrying an extra bottle to pee in.the weather has never been that bad i couldnt leave my tent.
      Clearly its a winter thing... make sure the bottles are clearly identifiable in the dark.

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Fun%20Post/whatowl_zpsidkrjvzs.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • TrafficJam wrote:

socks wrote:

odd man out wrote:

socks wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

As promised.
      2 pics of my lighter.
      I wouldn't be fearful...better than a puny Bic lighter and much improved over matches.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

shoes: nike pegasus trail shoes with superfeet green. worn em for probably 10 years because i can buy em online and know they will fit.
      a while back i caught a great sale and bought 3 pairs. i've just about worn out the last one so its time to reorder -- and they are now discontinued. oh well.

conincidentally, just got an advertisement email from rei. fwiw the merrill moab is their biggest selling hiking shoe.
      2,000 miler
    • My gear.........
      pack - Gregory Baltoro 75 liters, gives me room for multiple sleeping bags in winter
      tent - Tarptent Rainshadow II, has enough room for me, Kathy, and our dog Tora plus does a good job keeping out the bugs and weather, We also have a Tarptent Rainbow for when either Kathy or I go out solo.
      sleeping bag - Montbell, ultralight, superstretch, 25 degree down bag, gives me room to flip flop all night long and is warm
      pad - Neoair All Season, just used it for the first multiday trip and the jury is still out on it
      shoes - the Oboz brand seems to fit my feet and are comfortable enough for all day use.
      stove...3 seasons - Etawah alcohol stove.....Winter - MSR Simmerlite white gas stove
      pot - Kmart grease pot