Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

ultra light sunglasses

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ultra light sunglasses

So I had a eye appointment last week and they dialated my eyes with drops...sucks big time, can't read a bloody thing the rest of the day and the brightness of the sun is literally blinding to me. I forgot to bring my sun glasses and they gave me a piece of rolled up plastic that is tinted and cut in the shape of glasses, thing couldn't weigh more than a oz. if that. Look into it...pun intended. 8)
    • I've seen this item or one similar. However I'm leery of durability as well as the easily scratched lenses. As sensitive as I am to bright sunlight, I'll stay with the 6oz sunglasses I currently utilize.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • socks wrote:

So I had a eye appointment last week and they dialated my eyes with drops...sucks big time, can't read a bloody thing the rest of the day and the brightness of the sun is literally blinding to me. I forgot to bring my sun glasses and they gave me a piece of rolled up plastic that is tinted and cut in the shape of glasses, thing couldn't weigh more than a oz. if that. Look into it...pun intended. 8)
      Damn, I just had a flashback, lol!

When I was in boot camp we got our eyes dilated for some damn reason and they gave us these paper sunglasses to wear, much like the ones you described. We quickly named them BPG's. I'm sure the folks here that served have all heard the term "Birth Control Glasses" (BCG's), well these took it a step further so we called them Birth Prevention Glasses, lol.

For those not in the know, these are BCG's.....

New style...

[IMG:http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000YorrGHaaZ7A/fit=1000x750/STACY-L-PEARSALL-052.jpg]

Old style...

[IMG:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/97/bb/4e/97bb4e75e1763a0a5ea938c11981bb6f.jpg]
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

socks wrote:

Damn, I just had a flashback, lol!
      When I was in boot camp we got our eyes dilated for some damn reason and they gave us these paper sunglasses to wear, much like the ones you described. We quickly named them BPG's. I'm sure the folks here that served have all heard the term "Birth Control Glasses" (BCG's), well these took it a step further so we called them Birth Prevention Glasses, lol.

For those not in the know, these are BCG's.....

New style...

[IMG:http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000YorrGHaaZ7A/fit=1000x750/STACY-L-PEARSALL-052.jpg]

Old style...

[IMG:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/97/bb/4e/97bb4e75e1763a0a5ea938c11981bb6f.jpg]
      My new ones look like your old military picture, I went retro. My kids say I look funny. I like em!
    • socks wrote:

my doc started offering the optimap scan instead of the dialation maybe 10 years ago. supposed to be better (who knows?) but not covered by insurance. adds about $30 to the bill.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

socks wrote:

my doc started offering the optimap scan instead of the dialation maybe 10 years ago. supposed to be better (who knows?) but not covered by insurance. adds about $30 to the bill.
      never even heard of it, thanks.
    • I get UV, wrap around, sunglasses from Wally world. They dropped the price last year from $20 to $19. I have to wear them due to retina surgery some years ago. They work rather well. Don't weigh much, but the frames break easily. I'll have to get a case that holds them before I take up hiking. Wouldn't want to roll over them in my sleep.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I get UV, wrap around, sunglasses from Wally world. They dropped the price last year from $20 to $19. I have to wear them due to retina surgery some years ago. They work rather well. Don't weigh much, but the frames break easily. I'll have to get a case that holds them before I take up hiking. Wouldn't want to roll over them in my sleep.
      i never pay more than $20 for sunglasses, generally dont carry them on long hikes.
      i find the more money you spend on sunglasses, the faster they get broken.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I get UV, wrap around, sunglasses from Wally world. They dropped the price last year from $20 to $19. I have to wear them due to retina surgery some years ago. They work rather well. Don't weigh much, but the frames break easily. I'll have to get a case that holds them before I take up hiking. Wouldn't want to roll over them in my sleep.
      i never pay more than $20 for sunglasses, generally dont carry them on long hikes.i find the more money you spend on sunglasses, the faster they get broken.
      Same here, I buy cheap wrap arounds to block as much sun as I can and cheap ones because sooner or later I usually sit on them. My current pair is a pair of schwin bike glasses from WallyWorld, $12.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My eyes are very sensitive to light (hey, I'm a sensitive guy), I normally must have strong sun glasses outside but for hiking I only wear them in snow, must have a cap though, I'm debating on whether or not to take a pair out west because there are fewer trees than on eastern trails, if I do it'll be $4 Dollar Store glasses.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.