Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ScareBear wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Based on y'alls comments, I bought some raw, unpasteurized, certified organic, unfiltered, naturally gluten free, non GMO, apple cider vinegar. :D

So far, I haven't found a good time to try it. It doesn't sound good with morning coffee. Do y'all mix it with something? I thought about mixing a tsp of vinegar with a tsp of honey. There's a recipe on the bottle that says to mix with a full glass of water. I'd rather get it over with quickly.
      Treat it like a spoonful of medicine...
      Or, put a teaspoon of EVOO and a tablespoon of your vinegar in a jar and shake. Add basil and garlic and shake again. Pour over cucumbers and onions in a bowl. Toss. Grind some black pepper on top. Sprinkle some sea salt on it all and yum. YMMV...
      I sprinkle it over a nice plate of homemade hash browns or on fish or salad. I just use it as a condiment on lots of things, yummy!
    • SandyofPA wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Based on y'alls comments, I bought some raw, unpasteurized, certified organic, unfiltered, naturally gluten free, non GMO, apple cider vinegar. :D

So far, I haven't found a good time to try it. It doesn't sound good with morning coffee. Do y'all mix it with something? I thought about mixing a tsp of vinegar with a tsp of honey. There's a recipe on the bottle that says to mix with a full glass of water. I'd rather get it over with quickly.
      Treat it like a spoonful of medicine...Or, put a teaspoon of EVOO and a tablespoon of your vinegar in a jar and shake. Add basil and garlic and shake again. Pour over cucumbers and onions in a bowl. Toss. Grind some black pepper on top. Sprinkle some sea salt on it all and yum. YMMV...
      I sprinkle it over a nice plate of homemade hash browns or on fish or salad. I just use it as a condiment on lots of things, yummy!
      I mixed 1 tsp vinegar with 1 tsp honey and 8 oz water, it was really good, much better than expected. I'll try it in hot tea tomorrow. Read a suggestion to sprinkle it on popcorn.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • ScareBear wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Treat it like a spoonful of medicine...
      Or, put a teaspoon of EVOO and a tablespoon of your vinegar in a jar and shake. Add basil and garlic and shake again. Pour over cucumbers and onions in a bowl. Toss. Grind some black pepper on top. Sprinkle some sea salt on it all and yum. YMMV...
      Done and in the fridge. This is a favorite summertime snack that I forget about in winter. I try to eat raw veggies without any condiments as it's easy to feel like you always need something with them...salt, ranch dressing, peanut butter, etc.

I mixed mine with flaxseed oil.
    • Turns out I have a little health issue. Back in the second week of Feb. I had a slip and fall. The next morning I woke up with a number of pains. All of them went away pretty quickly except for one. The Achilles tendon in my left foot was pretty sore and painful. I've been hobbling around since then waiting for it to heal, but it didn't. So last Monday I finally saw a doctor and an MRI revealed that I have a tear in the tendon. So now I'm hobbling around in a plastic boot, taking an anti-inflammatory medicine, and rubbing on some crème that's supposed to help relive the pain. I'm told this could take a long time to heal but have no idea how long. Sure hope I don't miss the whole hiking/biking season.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Turns out I have a little health issue. Back in the second week of Feb. I had a slip and fall. The next morning I woke up with a number of pains. All of them went away pretty quickly except for one. The Achilles tendon in my left foot was pretty sore and painful. I've been hobbling around since then waiting for it to heal, but it didn't. So last Monday I finally saw a doctor and an MRI revealed that I have a tear in the tendon. So now I'm hobbling around in a plastic boot, taking an anti-inflammatory medicine, and rubbing on some crème that's supposed to help relive the pain. I'm told this could take a long time to heal but have no idea how long. Sure hope I don't miss the whole hiking/biking season.
      Praying for a quick recovery.

Great time to think about all the possibilities and plan for when healthy again. Also a great motivation if you need to do physical therapy, which is not always fun, but very beneficial to getting you back on the trails.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Follow your doctor's / physical terrorist's orders and don't rush it. The body will heal if you don't aggravate the injury further. Best wishes for a full recovery.

If you want to know what NOT to do, I'd be happy to share how my hiking partner Sox is responding to his ACL / MCL tears. Trying to do too much too quick has set his recovery back. I may be hiking solo in 2023 AND 2024 if he doesn't back off.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I’m sorry Llhikers! Sending you lots of healing thoughts!

(of course, check with your dr. first) If you haven’t already, you may want to try both heat and ice. Heat improves blood flow and healing, ice helps with inflammation and discomfort. A regular heating pad works great.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I’m sorry Llhikers! Sending you lots of healing thoughts!

(of course, check with your dr. first) If you haven’t already, you may want to try both heat and ice. Heat improves blood flow and healing, ice helps with inflammation and discomfort. A regular heating pad works great.
      Thanks for the advice, it carries a lot of weight coming from you, a medical professional. I'm taking a medication for inflammation, but the heat sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
    • My wife's health has continued to decline. She has early onset Alzheimer's. It's horrible. She was diagnosed with "white matter disease" in 2009 and officially Alzheimer's in December 2013. I can be a caretaker no longer. I am placing her in Memory Care in a few weeks. It's best for both of us. I will get back to living and hiking and everything else once she is adjusted to her new situation.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

My wife's health has continued to decline. She has early onset Alzheimer's. It's horrible. She was diagnosed with "white matter disease" in 2009 and officially Alzheimer's in December 2013. I can be a caretaker no longer. I am placing her in Memory Care in a few weeks. It's best for both of us. I will get back to living and hiking and everything else once she is adjusted to her new situation.
      I know from my own family's experience it is a very tough decision, but please take confort in that you are doing the right thing for the right reason. You and your family our in our prayers.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • So sorry this is happening. My father has dementia and is in memory care near our home. As much as I wish he could live with my husband and I, we can't keep him safe unless one of us is awake at all times. I am sad when I visit him, yet glad to see him, and grateful he is well cared for. I have learned to not feel guilty for continuing to live my life, but he is on my mind much of the time. Such a hard thing for all. Prayers for you and your wife.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

My wife's health has continued to decline. She has early onset Alzheimer's. It's horrible. She was diagnosed with "white matter disease" in 2009 and officially Alzheimer's in December 2013. I can be a caretaker no longer. I am placing her in Memory Care in a few weeks. It's best for both of us. I will get back to living and hiking and everything else once she is adjusted to her new situation.
      My wife and I (mostly my wife) took care of her father as he struggled with dementia for around five years. It was a battle getting him into a memory care facility, but he woke up the next morning and didn't have any recollection of the fight he put up the day before.

I can say from experience that almost constant attention didn't make his life any better. We would sit with his for dinner, take him back to his room, change him for bed and my wife would kiss him goodnight. Ten minutes into our drive home, he would call and ask where we where and if we had visited that day. One of the few things he could remember was to press preset #2 on his cell phone to call my wife.

When Covid hit, an administrator for the facility held a Zoom call and explained the concept of 'therapeutic fibbing'. In summary, it is the practice of telling your loved one what they need to hear, even if it isn't quite truthful. Trying to explain a global pandemic and the end of in-person visits wasn't going to work. Saying "We were just there this morning!" made him feel content instead of anxious.

Yes - get her settled in to reduce her anxiety and then take care of yourself. No one would want their loved ones to suffer with them.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • So sorry to read this JJ. It's a tough decision but I'm sure it is for her best. My orienteering buddy and his family is still moving his in-laws into assisted care. They have only been in it less than a month but now they are both saying "this was the right thing". And as I told him prior to it, their health will probably improve. His mother in law has major memory issues so her realizing "This is nice" was major.
      I hope it all is for the long term best for you and your wife.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I’m so sorry JJ but I’m happy you’ve found a solution for both of you.