Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

This is probably the wrong crowd but if anyone is interested in natural deodorant, I found a great one at Bend Soap Company (Bend, Oregon), unlike Toms, it really works.

LIhikers wrote:

Is TJ implying that we don't care how we smell or that we're not interested in nature and natural products?
      It must be the first.....lol.... ^^
      I think my feelings are hurt...I'm going to my safe room now.
      Wellllll....I know y'all are skeptical about organic, grass-fed, vegetarian fed, non GMO, antibiotic free, gluten free, preservative free, free range, cage free, hormone free, local, sustainable, all natural, products. :D
      (jimmyjam, its mail order only from a small family farm...well, the farm is small, the family isn't, I think they have 7 or 8 kids.)
      Is it Fair-Trade?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

This is probably the wrong crowd but if anyone is interested in natural deodorant, I found a great one at Bend Soap Company (Bend, Oregon), unlike Toms, it really works.

LIhikers wrote:

Is TJ implying that we don't care how we smell or that we're not interested in nature and natural products?
      Wellllll....I know y'all are skeptical about organic, grass-fed, vegetarian fed, non GMO, antibiotic free, gluten free, preservative free, free range, cage free, hormone free, local, sustainable, all natural, products. :D
      (jimmyjam, its mail order only from a small family farm...well, the farm is small, the family isn't, I think they have 7 or 8 kids.)

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Wellllll....I know y'all are skeptical about organic, grass-fed, vegetarian fed, non GMO, antibiotic free, gluten free, preservative free, free range, cage free, hormone free, local, sustainable, all natural, products. :D (jimmyjam, its mail order only from a small family farm...well, the farm is small, the family isn't, I think they have 7 or 8 kids.)
      Is it Fair-Trade?
      I love free food...at any price!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

On a little more serious note let me ask, have you used the stuff and were you satisfied with how it works ?
      Yep, I love it. I've used it in the morning then have cycled, run, worked 13 hrs, etc, and don't smell at the end of the day. I don't shower every day either.
      Well, then I think I'm going to give the deodorant a try. I'll have to order a few at a time to make the shipping pay off, I guess. Cottage industry and all that, you know, as long as it works for me too.
    • sheepdog wrote:

In order to sell deodorant, first you have to convince people they stink.

I went to an outdoor market in Haiti once. You wouldn't believe the smell.
      its funny. When you stink and are around stinky people, you don't notice it. It's when some people smell "clean" that it's noticeable. You can always tell when someone is on the first day of their hike.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • While doing my Sierra LASH of the PCT I almost ran the 17 mile detour to a resupply point. I slowed down as I got closer to the dead end road. I was talking with a ranger when another hiker came along & I managed to Yogi a ride to the NPS campground with him. It wasn't to long after we got in the car when he siad don't take offense but please roll the window down. He knew the campground layout & pointed things out to me & suggest shower house should be my first stop!
    • sheepdog wrote:

In order to sell deodorant, first you have to convince people they stink.

I went to an outdoor market in Haiti once. You wouldn't believe the smell.
      Try a crowded stuffy museum during a winter's day in Munich.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

While doing my Sierra LASH of the PCT I almost ran the 17 mile detour to a resupply point. I slowed down as I got closer to the dead end road. I was talking with a ranger when another hiker came along & I managed to Yogi a ride to the NPS campground with him. It wasn't to long after we got in the car when he siad don't take offense but please roll the window down. He knew the campground layout & pointed things out to me & suggest shower house should be my first stop!
      it's funny how non-offensive or ascustom we become to our own scwallor and stench.
    • mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

While doing my Sierra LASH of the PCT I almost ran the 17 mile detour to a resupply point. I slowed down as I got closer to the dead end road. I was talking with a ranger when another hiker came along & I managed to Yogi a ride to the NPS campground with him. It wasn't to long after we got in the car when he siad don't take offense but please roll the window down. He knew the campground layout & pointed things out to me & suggest shower house should be my first stop!
      it's funny how non-offensive or ascustom we become to our own scwallor and stench.
      Do you think we're brainwashed by marketing? Do we really have to smell like flowers in order to be clean? I think Europeans are doing it right.

Look at toothpaste. The minty flavor serves no purpose except to make us feel cleaner, it doesn't make our teeth cleaner.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Do you think we're brainwashed by marketing? Do we really have to smell like flowers in order to be clean? I think Europeans are doing it right.
      Look at toothpaste. The minty flavor serves no purpose except to make us feel cleaner, it doesn't make our teeth cleaner.
      Except for the French, I hear they stink. If I've offended any Frenchies out there, will then take a shower.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

your right! I was thinking more along the lines of the olfactory getting descentizied and wondering why nature does this.
    • mental note wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

mental note wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

Do you think we're brainwashed by marketing? Do we really have to smell like flowers in order to be clean? I think Europeans are doing it right.Look at toothpaste. The minty flavor serves no purpose except to make us feel cleaner, it doesn't make our teeth cleaner.
      your right! I was thinking more along the lines of the olfactory getting descentizied and wondering why nature does this.
      i agree with you about desensitization. I was thinking about social stigmas and norms regarding hygiene because my youngest daughter only shaves occasionally and doesn't use deodorant. She's confident and happy and doesn't care what people think.
    • I've been to Europe and different plces in the US. Traveled through about 38 States in the US in my life.

The worst smell was at Manhattan. Naples, Italy in the summer was second. This was back in the early 1970s. I think Italy has vastly improved their sewage treatment facilities by now.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • push ups and pull ups are hard for women. My daughter has struggled with them. I do push ups on the knuckles of my index and middle fingers. It strengthens my wrists. But with this kind you don't go all the way to the floor, you stop about 4" above the floor.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I purchased the ingredients to make some natural skin products. As if I have time to start another hobby.
      I've started studying herbal medicine. Fascinating stuff. Staying simple so I don't kill my self.
      Recently while talking with a herbalist, I found most of the plants in my flower beds have medicinal value.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I purchased the ingredients to make some natural skin products. As if I have time to start another hobby.
      I've started studying herbal medicine. Fascinating stuff. Staying simple so I don't kill my self.
      Recently while talking with a herbalist, I found most of the plants in my flower beds have medicinal value.
      I believe in the value of herbal medicine yet remain skeptical of the bottled, herbal supplements in the grocery store. I wonder if there's a difference in the medicinal quality of plants which are grown and consumed at home versus plants that are processed and bottled for mass consumption.
    • sheepdog wrote:

Plantain salve. The dark green made with coconut oil, the lighter yellow made with olive oil.
      That's awesome, I'm very impressed!

Where did you get the containers? Are they plastic? I ordered tubes for beeswax lip balm and I'm looking for a light-weight container for a multi-purpose cream. It's going to be a semi-solid, anti-chafe cream for hiking so I was thinking about a deodorant container (?).
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I believe in the value of herbal medicine yet remain skeptical of the bottled, herbal supplements in the grocery store. I wonder if there's a difference in the medicinal quality of plants which are grown and consumed at home versus plants that are processed and bottled for mass consumption.
      probably a valid concern when you consider how a grocery store tomato which was bred primarily with transport in mind tastes compared to back yard tomatoes and how the scientists have degraded wheat in the last 50-60 years in order to achieve higher yields.
      2,000 miler
    • jimmyjam wrote:

push ups and pull ups are hard for women. My daughter has struggled with them. I do push ups on the knuckles of my index and middle fingers. It strengthens my wrists. But with this kind you don't go all the way to the floor, you stop about 4" above the floor.
      There has been a lot of improvement in my arm and core strength so I've decided it's ok if I never do a full push-up...at least the attempt has been beneficial.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

sheepdog wrote:

Plantain salve. The dark green made with coconut oil, the lighter yellow made with olive oil.
      That's awesome, I'm very impressed!
      Where did you get the containers? Are they plastic? I ordered tubes for beeswax lip balm and I'm looking for a light-weight container for a multi-purpose cream. It's going to be a semi-solid, anti-chafe cream for hiking so I was thinking about a deodorant container (?).
      Containers were bought at Hobby Lobby, painting section. The little ones are called bead storage.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm beginning to think that a full push-up is impossible. It's frustrating but I won't give up. I alternate between doing them on an incline and on my knees with ankles crossed.

I found this article about the crossed ankle method.

breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/…ont-make-you-any-stronger
      They are definitely possible...try the orange sherbert, they're my favorite.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm beginning to think that a full push-up is impossible. It's frustrating but I won't give up. I alternate between doing them on an incline and on my knees with ankles crossed.

I found this article about the crossed ankle method.

breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/…ont-make-you-any-stronger
      You have to start with where you are and what you can do and build from there, I saw a young lady, normal looking and not muscled up, do one hand push ups...BTW, there was a girl in high school that beat me and most of the boys arm wrestling, and was just a normal looking girl. There's more to strength than muscles, my daughter is tall and slim and you'd never think of her as one to compete in track & field power events but she was the VA state champ two years in the discus and second in the shot put.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I made my first batch of balm/anti chafe bars using beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, and a few other ingredients. I haven't tried it for anti-chafing yet but otherwise works great and smells wonderful. Next time I'm going to fill deodorant-type applicators.

Don't try to cut beeswax with a knife.

• TrafficJam wrote:

I made my first batch of balm/anti chafe bars using beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, and a few other ingredients. I haven't tried it for anti-chafing yet but otherwise works great and smells wonderful. Next time I'm going to fill deodorant-type applicators.

your description sounds tasty.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I made my first batch of balm/anti chafe bars using beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, and a few other ingredients. I haven't tried it for anti-chafing yet but otherwise works great and smells wonderful. Next time I'm going to fill deodorant-type applicators.

So it can prevent chapped lips & hiker hinney? Multi use is always nice. :D
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Might wanna use different pieces for that. Just a thought.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks like one hell of a suppository.

TJ, those look awesome! Good job, Why the no cut beeswax with ka-nife?
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I plan to try it on my feet next time I hike to see if it prevents blisters.

Thinking about naming it Hikers Gold.
    • mental note wrote:

Grinder wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

that looks like one hell of a suppository.
      TJ, those look awesome! Good job, Why the no cut beeswax with ka-nife?
      it's like cement. First, I tried to cut it with a kitchen knife, then I wedged the knife in and beat the back of the knife with a mallet, then I tried to saw it with a bread knife. Finally, I put it in a glass bowl over boiling water, melted it, and poured the unused wax in a glass jar.
    • Dan76 wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

your description sounds tasty.
      For some reason, I crave lemon cookies. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Did you find a recipe someplace or is that your own concoction?