Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Please give those of us like myself who are anything but ultralight any suggestions you might care to share about diet and exercise.

I want to lose ten pounds. I hear that 1 pound = 3500 calories, but not everyone agrees. I am walking 2.5 miles per day and I think I am eating significantly less than 2500 calories per day. I spend the day at the library, where there is no food to tempt me. I am eating two meals per day - breakfast and dinner.
      Dump these items and get your calories below 2000 if your less the 6'2"Corn
      Corn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      I budget my calories to include beer or wine. :)
      It's 5:10 here....I'm gonna go have a bourbon....like broken cookies, it has no calories.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Thanks TJ. It looks like calorie needs go down with age. Too bad I'm not a teenager. It looks like I only need 2300 calories per day to maintain my present body weight with no exercise.
      My take on that is the calories only need to go down if the activity level goes down with age, higher the actvity level the better more enjoyable you can eat.
      I would rather eat as much as I like and exercise to compensate, but I am not sufficiently motivated to take a multi-day hike in these temperatures.

I think it has something to do with old folks jacking up the thermostat and moving to Florida. With a knit synthetic shirt, two fleece jackets, and long pants, I can be reasonable comfortable at 63F indoors. Some cheap motels are like that. I don't have a problem with that unless I dress for 63F and wake up sweaty and thirsty after the temperature jumps back to 72F, which has happened.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Drybones wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Please give those of us like myself who are anything but ultralight any suggestions you might care to share about diet and exercise.

I want to lose ten pounds. I hear that 1 pound = 3500 calories, but not everyone agrees. I am walking 2.5 miles per day and I think I am eating significantly less than 2500 calories per day. I spend the day at the library, where there is no food to tempt me. I am eating two meals per day - breakfast and dinner.
      Corn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      Fixed that for you Rasty, I know you didn't really mean it.
      I'm the same weight I was when I was 18. I don't need to loose any weight so I can drink beer while eating donuts and corn chips.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Corn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      I think you got that backwards. Budget your beer or wine to include calories. :D
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Dump these items and get your calories below 2000 if your less the 6'2"CornCorn Syrup
      Sugar
      Beer
      It's 5:10 here....I'm gonna go have a bourbon....like broken cookies, it has no calories.

Nope, you got it wrong. Its hollow chocolate that has no calories.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Well, I had my glass of bourbon, ate a pound of bacon minus the two pieces the wife ate, two eggs, tomato, three large slices of Swiss cheese, five large slices of heavy white bread, a glass of wine and finished up with a piece if gum...I'll probably go for another glass of bourbon before bed.....and I'll still weigh 182 tomorrow after two hours at the gym....if a heart attach doesn't get me first.
    • I've lost 26 lbs over the last 5 months, 193 to 166, for me it's all about calories in, and not eating carbs late in the day. Walking helps and lifting dumb bells, doing squats between chairs, and off the wall push outs... Don't have to kill yourself but stay active.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

my problem is the more I work out the more I eat and my weight stays the same. I do seem to be building some muscle. The only time I really seem to loose weight is when I go a hike longer than a weekend.
      Do you do the same thing at the same speed? Just curious. I had the same problem when I was running half marathons which is why I stopped.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

my problem is the more I work out the more I eat and my weight stays the same. I do seem to be building some muscle. The only time I really seem to loose weight is when I go a hike longer than a weekend.
      Do you do the same thing at the same speed? Just curious. I had the same problem when I was running half marathons which is why I stopped.
      yep pretty much. Maybe I need to mix it up some more.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • An older guy came up to me at the gym and asked what he needed to be doing to lose weight, I'd noticed him before on the tread mill going about 2 mph, he was thinking the weight machines, I pointed to the cardio machines and told him weights might give him some muscle under the fat but he has to sweat and do cardio to burn calories and lose weight...he was looking for an easy way out...ain't one.
    • Drybones wrote:

An older guy came up to me at the gym and asked what he needed to be doing to lose weight, I'd noticed him before on the tread mill going about 2 mph, he was thinking the weight machines, I pointed to the cardio machines and told him weights might give him some muscle under the fat but he has to sweat and do cardio to burn calories and lose weight...he was looking for an easy way out...ain't one.
      So did you tell him to just increase his velocity to 4 mph ( or at least 3 or 3.5)?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

An older guy came up to me at the gym and asked what he needed to be doing to lose weight, I'd noticed him before on the tread mill going about 2 mph, he was thinking the weight machines, I pointed to the cardio machines and told him weights might give him some muscle under the fat but he has to sweat and do cardio to burn calories and lose weight...he was looking for an easy way out...ain't one.
      So did you tell him to just increase his velocity to 4 mph ( or at least 3 or 3.5)?
      I shared my wife's story with him..... had three kids, 1978, 1979, 1980, gained weight, got discouraged and depressed, started seeing a shrink, I told her to get a good pair of running shoes and a good study Bible, she took the advice, started walking, then walking a little faster, then walking/jogging...wasn't too long she had 10 road race trophies...the shoes cured the physical issues and the Bible cured the emotional/mental issues....moral to the story...start slow and keep improving, told him to establish a 3 mile walk course and write the time each day on a calendar it took, when he PR's circle it...getting to make a circle becomes a big deal after a while.
    • socks wrote:

I've lost 26 lbs over the last 5 months, 193 to 166, for me it's all about calories in, and not eating carbs late in the day. Walking helps and lifting dumb bells, doing squats between chairs, and off the wall push outs... Don't have to kill yourself but stay active.
      Wow, Socks, that's great! Does this mean that you're going to be up to hiking again? I'd love to see you Out There! (Assuming I'll be up to hiking again - and what with this foot, I'm none too sure when that'll be.)

I find that I simply need to be active. With my foot as it is, I'm constrained to walking my usual daily three miles or so with a pack. I notice that if I don't get some serious hiking in addition to that, I gain weight (I'm gaining now :-(). I just need to be active - when I'm doing even close to the amount of hiking I want to do, I lose steadily, while eating what I please.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • I went to a lecture by a famous beer expert a few years ago. He reviewed the evidence that indicates beer is good for you. He said a careful study of nutritional habits indicate that the "beer belly" is a myth. It has been shown that people with a big belly get that from what they eat and not from what they drink. He the steps out from behind the podium and rests his hands on top of his VERY large belly and says "Yes, this is not a beer belly. It is a sausage belly.
    • I haven't weighed under 250 pounds for decades. I'm also 6' 2" tall. My doctor said if I get down to 215 pounds, he will be happy with that. I told him about a Wii exercise program I had bought, and it suggested 175 pounds. He said that would hurt my health. So 215 it is.

My siblings feel I'll drop below 200 pounds if I take up hiking again.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I am at the library, but my stomach is gnawing on my backbone. Time to go back. There is another library 4 miles in the other direction. Maybe another day I will head there instead. Maybe I just feel hiker hunger after my recent 10 mile day.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I am at the library, but my stomach is gnawing on my backbone. Time to go back. There is another library 4 miles in the other direction. Maybe another day I will head there instead. Maybe I just feel hiker hunger after my recent 10 mile day.
      Libraries should have snacks....just sayin
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • sheepdog wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Libraries should have snacks....just sayin
      I have visited many libraries. Some do. Some have rooms with tables and vending machines. Some have free popcorn and a movie.
    • odd man out wrote:

I went to a lecture by a famous beer expert a few years ago. He reviewed the evidence that indicates beer is good for you. He said a careful study of nutritional habits indicate that the "beer belly" is a myth. It has been shown that people with a big belly get that from what they eat and not from what they drink. He the steps out from behind the podium and rests his hands on top of his VERY large belly and says "Yes, this is not a beer belly. It is a sausage belly.
      Serious - I am on that plan,,, I know Ben Franklin would have agreed with him but his science is faulted. No disrespect intended

[IMG:http://new3.fjcdn.com/pictures/Benjamin+franklin+just+some+quick+stupid+oc+made+by+me_d6ea2f_3533333.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I went to a lecture by a famous beer expert a few years ago. He reviewed the evidence that indicates beer is good for you. He said a careful study of nutritional habits indicate that the "beer belly" is a myth. It has been shown that people with a big belly get that from what they eat and not from what they drink. He the steps out from behind the podium and rests his hands on top of his VERY large belly and says "Yes, this is not a beer belly. It is a sausage belly.
      Serious - I am on that plan,,, I know Ben Franklin would have agreed with him but his science is faulted. No disrespect intended
      [IMG:http://new3.fjcdn.com/pictures/Benjamin+franklin+just+some+quick+stupid+oc+made+by+me_d6ea2f_3533333.jpg]
      Do as I say.....not as I do.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I haven't weighed under 250 pounds for decades. I'm also 6' 2" tall. My doctor said if I get down to 215 pounds, he will be happy with that. I told him about a Wii exercise program I had bought, and it suggested 175 pounds. He said that would hurt my health. So 215 it is.

My siblings feel I'll drop below 200 pounds if I take up hiking again.
      I few years ago I was successful at losing 25 lbs. Here was my plan use as much or as little of it as you wish.

Weigh yourself first thing every morning and chart your weight loss. You find it fluctuates a few pounds from day to day so you don't really notice the real progress unless you plot daily over the long term. Publish your progress to friends or relatives (helps with the motivation). Then eat three meals per day (B, L, D). No snacking allowed (that is my biggest downfall). However dessert after dinner is allowed sometimes. There is no prescribed diet. Just eat a balanced diet with sensible portions of real food, but cutting back on carbohydrate rich foods is a good idea. When eating out, order soup. Beverages are water, coffee, tea, beer, and wine (the latter two no more than one per day). Walk 30+ minutes on the treadmill every evening. I start at 3 mph and work up to 3.8 mph. Figure on 1.75 miles per session (more if feeling good and motivated).
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Franklin is is also credited with saying "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." However, research does not support this attribution. You can decide for yourself on the truthfulness of the quote.
    • odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Serious - I am on that plan,,, I know Ben Franklin would have agreed with him but his science is faulted. No disrespect intended[IMG:http://new3.fjcdn.com/pictures/Benjamin+franklin+just+some+quick+stupid+oc+made+by+me_d6ea2f_3533333.jpg]
      Franklin is is also credited with saying "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." However, research does not support this attribution. You can decide for yourself on the truthfulness of the quote.
      Ben didn't say that...........I did.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Last week I tore my hip flexor muscle. I spent three days in bed, only hobbling to the bathroom. It's getting better but I doubt we're going to GA. It stinks and I've been really down. :(
      Crap!...sorry to hear that, being lame is really shytty, I know first hand...how did you do it?...how long to recover?
      Stretching after spin class. I'm weak on the left side from an old injury and occasionally have trouble with my hip and groin muscles. 4-6 weeks to heal but I won't wait that long. If it's better and I can carry a pack, I'm going hiking.. :)
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Last week I tore my hip flexor muscle. I spent three days in bed, only hobbling to the bathroom. It's getting better but I doubt we're going to GA. It stinks and I've been really down. :(
      Crap!...sorry to hear that, being lame is really shytty, I know first hand...how did you do it?...how long to recover?
      Stretching after spin class. I'm weak on the left side from an old injury and occasionally have trouble with my hip and groin muscles. 4-6 weeks to heal but I won't wait that long. If it's better and I can carry a pack, I'm going hiking.. :)
      If you go hiking, is there someone you can call for extraction?
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I walked 4 miles to the other library in an hour and 25 minutes, including a stop at the town hall to ask directions and read a bulletin board.
      On Saturday, it only took an hour to walk the 4 miles back from that library. I must have been in a hurry. Then another mile in 20 minutes to Dollar General for weekly resupply.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Sorry to hear that. :thumbdown:
      Here is to a quick recovery! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • This is the health thread, but I'm just the opposite of healthy, I'm sick as a dog with what seems like a cold.
      I've been laying around the last couple of days alternating between sleeping and watching TV.
      I discovered a TV show, on Net Flix, called RockThePark. A couple of young guys (well, younger than me) that go to different national parks and do a variety of outdoor activities. It's an interesting show but the guys are a little over the top.
      I think many of you would enjoy the outdoor and wildlife aspects of the show.
      Try it, you might like it.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

A pulled groin muscle really hurts, I had one when I did the Art Loeb Trail, every step was a killer, I've learned how to walk with a sore and swollen knee to ease the pain but there's no way to ease a groin pull but to stop walking.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

If you go hiking, is there someone you can call for extraction?
      My daughter will be with me. :)