Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Health

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I made my first batch of balm/anti chafe bars using beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, and a few other ingredients. I haven't tried it for anti-chafing yet but otherwise works great and smells wonderful. Next time I'm going to fill deodorant-type applicators.

Don't try to cut beeswax with a knife.

Did you find a recipe someplace or is that your own concoction?
      Both. I used a basic recipe from Wellness Mama and added tea tree oil, aloe vera, and sweet orange oil.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I made my first batch of balm/anti chafe bars using beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, and a few other ingredients. I haven't tried it for anti-chafing yet but otherwise works great and smells wonderful. Next time I'm going to fill deodorant-type applicators.

Wow you did good. those look great.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Just like single serving Peanut Butter fudge! Watch out for hungry hikers trying to eat them....
    • SandyofPA wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Just like single serving Peanut Butter fudge! Watch out for hungry hikers trying to eat them....
      Text from my son last night...Mom, what are these things that look like white chocolate Reece's?
      Me...try one, they're delicious. :evil:

Not really.. I said, DO NOT EAT THEM!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

They look tasty.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Have to say, the bars are fabulous. My daughter says, "They're freaking awesome". :)

I rub it in my hands to warm it up, then spread it with my hands, then rub the bar directly on my skin. Once on the body, it lasts a really long time.

I like the smell of beeswax but my daughter wants less beeswax scent...any tips or ideas? I can use more sweet orange oil but I think the beeswax will still overpower the orange. I don't like heavy, perfumey scents.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I don't think beesax smell can be overpwered, unless you bury it under concrete. I'll ask my sister, she might know.

She says that combo of wax and oils will attract insects.
      Actually, once applied, it loses it's scent pretty quick so I'm not too worried about attracting bugs. It definitely needs testing in the woods though.
    • Reminds me of an old co-workers story. He wrecked his snowmobile when he hit n ice fishing hole on the lake. Although he escaped without breaking any bones he was some sore, especially his shoulder. His friends elderly father went digging in his pntry & came out with a dusty bottle. Told him to take his shirt off & started rubbing the stuff on it. He said it felt better than any Ben-Gay/sports cream. The old man then got a glass & poured the same stuff in it & told him to drink it. Doing so relieved the rest of the pain. :/
    • Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I did 3 full push ups, rested, and did 4 more. gif.005.gif
      love the emoji
      Against doctor advise, I'm going to try to run again, bought some good shoes, marked off a 3 mile run and got a calendar to record my times on, when I PR I circle it, one run done so far....all I can say is I made it.
      If all you can say is ' I made it', maybe it was too far or too fast? Running shouldn't be miserable. Are you going to train for a particular race or distance?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

love the emoji
      Against doctor advise, I'm going to try to run again, bought some good shoes, marked off a 3 mile run and got a calendar to record my times on, when I PR I circle it, one run done so far....all I can say is I made it.
      If all you can say is ' I made it', maybe it was too far or too fast? Running shouldn't be miserable. Are you going to train for a particular race or distance?
      I'm gonna recant that statement...just remembered how miserable my first couple years of running were.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

love the emoji
      I'm gonna recant that statement...just remembered how miserable my first couple years of running were.
      Running is just like drinking whisky, or coffee for that matter....it tastes like piss the first time you try it, but you eventually develop a taste for it and can't start the day without it. I used to do 2-3 miles at 4:00 every morning before work, if I didn't run I didn't function right all day...any training hurts until you start seeing results, then you start to embrace the pain, realizing what it's doing for you.
    • Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

love the emoji
      Running is just like drinking whisky, or coffee for that matter....it tastes like piss the first time you try it, but you eventually develop a taste for it and can't start the day without it. I used to do 2-3 miles at 4:00 every morning before work, if I didn't run I didn't function right all day...any training hurts until you start seeing results, then you start to embrace the pain, realizing what it's doing for you.
      That's true if you've been sedentary. I hear a lot of people say they tried to run but couldn't because it hurt. My results were super slow and I whined and cried and wanted to quit many times. It took me a year to be able to breathe and several years before it felt comfortable. Now it's awesome, but I'm also 65 lbs lighter.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

love the emoji
      That's true if you've been sedentary. I hear a lot of people say they tried to run but couldn't because it hurt. My results were super slow and I whined and cried and wanted to quit many times. It took me a year to be able to breathe and several years before it felt comfortable. Now it's awesome, but I'm also 65 lbs lighter.
      The fruit of your labor.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

love the emoji
      Less is more. :) How long did it take?
      Six years of hiking has me down 42 pounds.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

meat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

love the emoji
      Less is more. :) How long did it take?Six years of hiking has me down 42 pounds.
      Around 7 years.
    • I ran from my 20's into my 50's when I tore my ACL. I loved to run. I tried to take it up again when I turned 60. I knew it would hurt and it would take time. After 3 months it never felt good and I gave it up. I still think about it from time to time but I think I'll stick with walking.
      bacon can solve most any problem.
    • Back in my single days I used to be a runner.
      I belonged to a local running club and we used to train together every Saturday.
      We had a 6000 acre tract of state land with varying terrain to run on.
      Then during the nice weather we would go to races that were on the weekend.
      I got to be a respectable road racer, then I got married and gave the whole thing up.
      Instead I became part of a small, growing, group of cyclists who started the Huntington Bicycle Club.
      While I never got into racing, it wasn't a problem to jump on the bike and do 75 or 100 miles. In fact we used to do a 225 mile ride every year. The most dangerous part of that ride was that we'd start at 4AM, just when the bars were closing and all the drunks were on the road. Then we'd ride out to the east end of Long Island, where we'd eat, rest, and then shower at a state park, before starting the return trip via a different route. Then I got a job that required working weekend and a lot of overtime so the regular cycling came to an end. My current job is a nightmare as far as free time goes and I can't do any of those things on a regular basis. I'm glad we're near a county park where I can walk in the woods occasionally.
    • a few years ago I was able to loose 1 lb per week for 15 weeks by eliminating all snacks and walking on the treadmill every night (1.75 miles in 30 min). Unfortunately I have now gained it all back. I need to get back on the wagon. It would be even better if I added some weight training and yoga. That be my ideal exercise regime.
    • Astro wrote:

Was told once it is 20℅ exercise and 80℅ diet. Been doing pretty well on the former this year, but need to focus more on the latter.
      All calories matter. I gave up drinks sweetened with corn syrup or sugar. Eating more vegetables and whole grain helps, but I still struggle with diet. Spending time away from easily accessible food and avoiding TV because of the food commercials helps me avoid feeling hungry.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

Was told once it is 20℅ exercise and 80℅ diet. Been doing pretty well on the former this year, but need to focus more on the latter.
      All calories matter. I gave up drinks sweetened with corn syrup or sugar. Eating more vegetables and whole grain helps, but I still struggle with diet. Spending time away from easily accessible food and avoiding TV because of the food commercials helps me avoid feeling hungry.
      pizza is my weakness. And eggs. And subs. And donuts with coffee. And spaghetti. ........
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • just throwin this out there.

5 or 6 years ago i tried the south beach diet. lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks.

a month ago i decided to cut back on sugar and the simple carbs that the body quickly converts to glucose. wasn't doing it as a weight loss diet. my fasting glucose has crossed the line from high normal to just plain high. not high enough to take meds, but just a warning that type 2 may be in my future if the trend doesn't stop. lost 10 pounds in 2 or 3 weeks. after my initial surprise i realized i was basically doing the south beach diet again, with the exception of my one glass of wine a nite.
      2,000 miler
    • in Italy we would see all these pencil thin people walking around with gellato and wonder how they do it. Two keys. One is an active lifestyle. Here we have drive-through or drive-to everything. In Italy you walk. No need for gyms and jogging. And with diet it is all about quality over quantity. We had so any amazing meals, but serving sizes were sensible. On our way home from the airport we stopped at an Applebee's and we're given a plate of food so big my wife and I both bust out laughing when it was served. Server must have thought we were nuts.

I find the jet age incredible. We had breakfast in Venice, lunch in Zurich, and supper in Michigan City (24 hrs and no sleep later).