Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

More is Better: A Love Letter to Long Distance Hiking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• More is Better: A Love Letter to Long Distance Hiking

backpacker.com/trips/long-trai…ter-long-distance-hiking/

More is Better: A Love Letter to Long Distance Hiking
      by Casey Lyons

Editor’s note: In advance of our AT in a Day trail event on June 20, 2015, we’re publishing some of our recent love letters to the AT, long-distance hiking, and the wide, wonderful outdoors. Show your support by signing up for a trail segment and helping us thru-hike the AT in a day.
      I believed what I had to in the beginning. Mostly, that my 10-week hike on the Appalachian Trail was the same as 10 weeklong trips. I was wrong, but how could I have known? I could barely even focus. Not with the din of unread email, urgent deadlines, and calendar alerts playing like a soundtrack through my life. It was a week before I stopped feeling those phantom vibrations in my phone pocket. It was two weeks before I stopped missing the whiz-bang instant gratification and started being free.
      In this hyper-connected world, any individual’s purview is pretty much unlimited. I could Skype with my nieces in the Philippines, catch up with old friends without the hassle of talking, and search for a soulmate with an online form. Existing beyond our own physical reach is a point of pride in this modern life. We strive for it; we need it. And I thought I needed it, too.
      So when I decided to long-distance hike, I didn’t know it yet, but I was rejecting this modern world with the cold finality of Connection Lost. And I wanted to think I’d grow, personally, mile by mile, but that’s not what happened. Instead, I shrank—fast—to the exact size of one human being. It’s a scale I knew nothing about.
      The transition wasn’t easy. At first I worried—about bears, about how dirty my hands really were, about whether my headlamp’s batteries would last all the way to the gear shop in Neels Gap, Georgia. And a few days went by and I was bug-bit and animal-hungry. My back hurt, my feet hurt, I smelled like a hobo—hell, I’d have robbed a hobo for a Hot Pocket.
      Then around three weeks, there’s a shift. You get your trail legs, but can only realize this as an absence—you’re no longer robot-stiff in the morning, and hiking actually feels good and normal and right. The days glob together. Worry is replaced by wonder, and then wonder by sheer, beautiful, uncomplicated existence. You’re floored by the way tree bark looks when the afternoon shadows give it infinite depth, the sight of a caterpillar silhouetted through a beech leaf, the way a summer cloudburst sounds when you can’t get out of it and don’t care, because being wet has been a condition of life forever and now it’s part of yours, too.
      You touch rocks with your hands and feel the trail with your feet. You suck water straight off the earth (sometimes without even filtering it), and you divide things into two groups: That which you can do something about, and That which you can’t do anything about anyway, so what’s the use. You leave that second group in a privy somewhere around the Smokies—the one with no roof, no walls, and a view of the deep, old forest. You bathe in a mountain stream and it makes you feel better than you ever thought possible.
      Then one morning, you open your tent door and you know, sure as dew glistens in the sun, that you are just exactly where you should be. There’s no distinction between you and the woods and the trail, because you are all part of the same bigger organism, all characters in the same larger picture. And that’s what everyone means when they say, “Hike your own hike,” and “The trail will provide.”
      You nap in a meadow atop a Tennessee bald because the wind whisks the grass in a way that makes you want to dream. You smile like a fool, and you lick your peanut butter spoon after it falls in the pine duff without even thinking about it—sort of like a 5-year-old kid (page 72). You wake up at dawn and fall asleep at dusk, and you feel this is somehow right. You make memories and friends and sign the trail register with a new—and strange—name. You take your watch off and mail it home, and the idea that the same ragged, calendar-synced world is dragging on without you is like a fairy tale.
      Because when we’re striving to extend ourselves as far over the planet as possible, what we’re really after is connection. We’re just casting as wide a net as we can for it. But only when we give up the hunt do we find what we’re looking for. So go. Find a trail—one of the famous ones, or one closer to you—and learn what it’s like to be there. Learn about life at the exact size of one human being.

6 Tips for Long Distance Hiking
      Advice for the would-be thru-hiker in your life.
      1. You can’t train up to 20-mile trail days—expect a couple weeks of body break-in— but you should be in shape. Start here: backpacker.com/getfit.
      2. Keep town stops quick. Plan nutritious meals and send yourself packed boxes to post offices close to the trail.
      3. Make yourself a 1-ounce alcohol stove: backpacker.com/alcoholstove.
      4. Get your head around hitchhiking, because you’ll do plenty of it in order to resupply.
      5. Carry an umbrella. Nothing fancy, just a non-collapsible, drugstore umbrella and cut the handle off (to save weight). You’ll always have a dry place to cook, consult your map, and just rest.
      6. Get full beta for the AT, PCT, and CDT at backpacker.com/longtrails.
      - See more at: backpacker.com/trips/long-trai…ing/#sthash.1hmMGwks.dpuf
      its all good
    • Totally agree with both of you. Shyte tips.
      But she's right about long distance hiking. It is definitely different from section hikes.
      I think you need to hike for over 3 weeks to feel it. Over 3 months is another level again.
      I like 4 to 10 weeks. More than that is too hard for me mentally. Less is not enough to "feel" satisfied.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Totally agree with both of you. Shyte tips.
      But she's right about long distance hiking. It is definitely different from section hikes.
      I think you need to hike for over 3 weeks to feel it. Over 3 months is another level again.
      I like 4 to 10 weeks. More than that is too hard for me mentally. Less is not enough to "feel" satisfied.
      Great then, my 7 weeks this summer should be right in the sweet spot. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

i think it takes at least a few weeks to get to the point you're not thinking about what you've left behind, and not yet thinking about having to go home. for me, 2-3 months is enough, less than 3 weeks i agree is somewhat unfulfilling.
      I miss the trail when I'm not on it so doing 2-4 nights every few months is very fulfilling. I can't imagine 1 long trip once a year. I would be sad the other 9 months.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i think it takes at least a few weeks to get to the point you're not thinking about what you've left behind, and not yet thinking about having to go home. for me, 2-3 months is enough, less than 3 weeks i agree is somewhat unfulfilling.
      I miss the trail when I'm not on it so doing 2-4 nights every few months is very fulfilling. I can't imagine 1 long trip once a year. I would be sad the other 9 months.
      how about imagining one long trip and a lot of short trips? i day hike 2-3 times a month and take 3 or 4 multi day trips a year in addition to my annual lash.getting in a long trip helps make the short trips more fulfilling, even day hikes.

but there's nothing like a trip where you just take everything in one day at a time, without worrying about when you're going home. i go home when i'm done.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

how about imagining one long trip and a lot of short trips? i day hike 2-3 times a month and take 3 or 4 multi day trips a year in addition to my annual lash.getting in a long trip helps make the short trips more fulfilling, even day hikes..
      ...this is all I aspire to do. If I could manage that my life would be perfect...one day.
    • I'm glad someone is hiking. I'm getting stronger. I may be able to make it to the top of Max Patch from the parking lot. My son wanted to run the stadium steps at FL Field the other so we rode our bikes there. I actually ran up the 1st 30 steps and when I was ready to start the last 50 my body would not move at all. I did walk up the rest of the way which is a big thing for me.

Maybe I'll get the ESPY Award. Speaking of which, is Caitlyn Jenner responsible for any crimes or fines or sins she committed while she was Bruce?.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

how about imagining one long trip and a lot of short trips? i day hike 2-3 times a month and take 3 or 4 multi day trips a year in addition to my annual lash.getting in a long trip helps make the short trips more fulfilling, even day hikes.
      but there's nothing like a trip where you just take everything in one day at a time, without worrying about when you're going home. i go home when i'm done.
      That sounds wonderful.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Any hike is great, even a day hike. Giving the choice I'll take a LASH. After my attemped thru of the PCT in 95 when I had to skip the Sierria due to high snow year I attended an ALDHA-West conference. I had already decided that at some point I want to hike the CDT so I decided to pic Brice's mind about it. I had the priviledge of hiking with him for a week or so on the PCT. Brice Hammock has trippled crowned twice & is still hiking. I use him as an example when people say they are to old to hike. When I first approached him I asked where he hiked that year. He said his summers hike relly beat him up. Long distance hiking was to much for him at his age. Nothing over 500 miles anymore. He was 84 at the time & still doing "short" hikes to best of my knowledge.
      When I asked him about the CDT he started saying the best times to hit each area. He had bounced aroud on both his hikes of it. It got me thinking. When I went back to finish the Sierrra portion I did it in August SOBO. Bug were bad first few week south from Doner Pass first few weeks, but when I ditched the tent & girlfriend they were pretty much gone. Fording streams were the primary reason most skipped the Sierra in 95 with huge snow pack. In Augaust what were waist deep ford were not even knee deep, many down to rock hoping.

I love lashing becaust it let you build hiking legs that you can't really train for in real life. 2 weeks on the trail just gets you into prime hiker shape. I truely admire the people that complete the AT this way. They grinded it out in what I think is the hardest was possible & more expensive than a thru when you consider transportation. BUT they did it!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mountain-Mike ().

• grayblazer wrote:

Maybe I'll get the ESPY Award. Speaking of which, is Caitlyn Jenner responsible for any crimes or fines or sins she committed while she was Bruce?.
      she was involved in a traffic accident that had a fatality as bruce that she may be responsible for. don't know what the status of that is.

just read today that one of the people injured in the accident filed suit against her for damages and named both bruce and caitlyn in the complaint. guess the attorney wanted to cover all the bases.
      2,000 miler
    • TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

You fill the time playing with your gear (let's see who the first smartass is to make comment here) and sleeping in the back yard.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

I did wait 41 mins.

Here goes...

I wouldn't touch that line with a 10 foot pole.
      We have a weiner!
      fixed it for ya
      You know where wiener jokes got us the first time?
      right here. but once youve hit bottom, you cant fall any further
      Well, there is always the basement...
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

I did wait 41 mins.

Here goes...

We have a weiner!
      fixed it for ya
      That is where he is posting from!
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

I did wait 41 mins.

Here goes...

We have a weiner!
      fixed it for ya
      Hmmm.... What about a crawlspace below the basement? There has to be somewhere for him to sink lower :D
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

Rasty wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Drybones wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

I did wait 41 mins.

Here goes...

We have a weiner!
      fixed it for ya
      Hmmm.... What about a crawlspace below the basement? There has to be somewhere for him to sink lower :D
      You cannot dig too deep in Long Island. You will hit water
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • WaterRat wrote:

"You cannot dig too deep in Long Island. You will hit water"

Better get the scuba gear! :D
      Word Association

Long Island = Joey Buttafuoco

Sorry to everyone that lives in Long Island but it's always the first thing that comes to my mind. I worst part is that it is David Letterman's voice saying Joey Buttafuoco

Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

I love lashing becaust it let you build hiking legs that you can't really train for in real life. 2 weeks on the trail just gets you into prime hiker shape. I truely admire the people that complete the AT this way. They grinded it out in what I think is the hardest was possible & more expensive than a thru when you consider transportation. BUT they did it!
      That is exactly what Baltimore Jack was telling me when I met him back at the ATC in Harpers Ferry last summer.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • well more might be better, but in the end its the quality of the hike rather than the time spent outdoors. true, there is a difference in going out for a day , a weekend, a week, and going out for months at a time, but there are quite a few that are so caught up in the destination, that for me, theyre missing the joy of just being among millions of miracles going on around them all the time. i know there have been times i was in such a zone, that i hardly paid any attention to my surroundings other than the 20 feet of trail in front of me.

i had the pleasure of hiking with my younger daughter alex today. not too long ago, alex didnt want to have anything to do with me, and we were estranged for almost 5 years,due to something i had said that got badly misinterpreted, and had led her to believe i blamed her for my divorce.
      anyway i finally got her to talk to me a coupla years ago, and we started having dinner every few weeks, and rekindled some semblance of a relationship. we had talked about going hiking for a while, as i used to take her and her sister hiking when they were younger, and yesterday asked me if i was off today, maybe we could hike. well my heart soared, and today we headed up to harriman, where we did a nine mile loop out around pine meadow lake in the southern part of the park. the day was perfect for hiking, and we really had a nice hike together.

i'll put todays 9 mile day hike up against any of my lash's being as good as it gets.
      its all good