Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Steel Strikers FS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Steel Strikers FS

For anyone that likes playing with flint and steel, or wants to give it a try, I have three strikers available.

These are forged from an old worn out file, and throw a great shower of sparks. They are about 3 in x 1 in, and weigh approximately 1.2-1.3 ounces.

$10 shipped. Payment by Paypal.

And if you need a piece of flint, let me know.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

If you tell me how to send money using my paypal account I'll take A. Any chance you have extra flint?h
      You could look under your boots. :) We have the good fortune to hike in a part of the world where there are lots of rocks that will strike a spark. Anything that will scratch glass and doesn't crumble when you strike will work. Up by me, the Mohawks did a lively business trading flint with people who lived farther west where all they had was limestone and clay. In fact, their name for themselves, Kanien'kehaka, means "The People of the Flint Place."

The last time I threw a spark off the file on my Leatherman, it was to demonstrate the technique to a young man we both know. I used a bit of green jasper that I'd picked up along the ridge on Alander Mountain. (I just happened to spot jasper before I saw chert. The metamorphic glop up there seems to have a little bit of everything.) Agate, aventurine, and garnet are also just fine as strikers. Quartz is hard to work with because it often doesn't fracture to a sharp edge, but it's great if you find a sharp enough piece. Quartzite is fine if it's sufficiently non-porous. If you can't find anything else, unscrew one of your trekking pole tips and use the tungsten carbide!

It's possible to go with all-native materials if you strike a spark off pyrite rather than steel, but I've never developed the knack of it. I'd make a terrible cave man. :)
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

If you tell me how to send money using my paypal account I'll take A. Any chance you have extra flint?
      I'm now in the modern age, did my first Paypal, didn't really want to but it appeared that's the only way I could sell a couple of sleeping bags and a tent to finance a TQ and UQ...which, BTW, is supposed to ship today.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

If you tell me how to send money using my paypal account I'll take A. Any chance you have extra flint?
      I'm now in the modern age, did my first Paypal, didn't really want to but it appeared that's the only way I could sell a couple of sleeping bags and a tent to finance a TQ and UQ...which, BTW, is supposed to ship today.
      It's been a long day...121 mile bike ride but I'm not coming up with TQ and UQ.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Top quilt and under quilt for a hammock.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Drybones wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

That's awesome.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • socks wrote:

I wanna know about this 121 mile day ride? that's like from my house in NJ to baltimore...heat getting to ya?
      Fortunately Utah has received much needed moisture in past weeks, therefore daytime temps are slightly below average.

I and a few friends usually start well north of Salt Lake City and ride the bike/hike trails established to the east of the Great Salt Lake. After a stop for breakfast, we'll continue south on trails to Utah Lake whereby wives and girl friends will set up a picnic lunch. My GF usually gets a return ride with them at this point. The return ride though is brutal with usually a quartering/head wind.

Unfortunately due to light snowfall and warmer temps we were able to complete this ride throughout the winter.

Google Legacy Trail, Jordan River Trail, and Murdock Canal Trail for details.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC