Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

jimmyjam's jammin lash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Remember the story I told about the morons at the church? Well they showed up at the Yellow Deli last week and were total jerks. They had their "safety meetings" right at the bottom of the back stairs to the hostel. Then on their first night they were out drinking very heavily until very late ( the hostel asks that everyone be in by 10:30pm) and early in the morning one thru up all over his bed and attempted to cover that up by changing the sheets and putting the soiled ones in the laundry basket. But they also threw up in the bathroom and then to top it off they crapped in the bathroom floor. On the their second and last night they again stayed out very late drinking. They left the next morning without making any donation for the four of them for the two nights. Shortly after it was discovered that someone had taken a crap on the rooftop deck- gee who would do that? And they were obnoxious the whole time, one of them openly talked about wanting to get in a fight.
      I talked to the caretaker about it and he was thinking about call up the trail to other hostels. I called Hanover and Gorham and the word had already been spread to Hanover by another guest at the Yellow Deli. The person I talked to at Hanover had already refused them and had called all of the other hostels/people who let hikers stay in their homes and warned them. The hostels owners in Gorham and Hanover thanked me for standing up and getting the word out. Theses guys are jerks and need to be off the trail. I hope they get shut out the rest of the way. I hope there hike gets ruined before they spoil anything else for the rest of us.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Remember the story I told about the morons at the church? Well they showed up at the Yellow Deli last week and were total jerks. They had their "safety meetings" right at the bottom of the back stairs to the hostel. Then on their first night they were out drinking very heavily until very late ( the hostel asks that everyone be in by 10:30pm) and early in the morning one thru up all over his bed and attempted to cover that up by changing the sheets and putting the soiled ones in the laundry basket. But they also threw up in the bathroom and then to top it off they crapped in the bathroom floor. On the their second and last night they again stayed out very late drinking. They left the next morning without making any donation for the four of them for the two nights. Shortly after it was discovered that someone had taken a crap on the rooftop deck- gee who would do that? And they were obnoxious the whole time, one of them openly talked about wanting to get in a fight.
      I talked to the caretaker about it and he was thinking about call up the trail to other hostels. I called Hanover and Gorham and the word had already been spread to Hanover by another guest at the Yellow Deli. The person I talked to at Hanover had already refused them and had called all of the other hostels/people who let hikers stay in their homes and warned them. The hostels owners in Gorham and Hanover thanked me for standing up and getting the word out. Theses guys are jerks and need to be off the trail. I hope they get shut out the rest of the way. I hope there hike gets ruined before they spoil anything else for the rest of us.
      JJ, didn't like it because you had to do it (I wish no one needed to), but that you stood up and tried to make it better for all of the rest of us.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Remember the story I told about the morons at the church? Well they showed up at the Yellow Deli last week and were total jerks. They had their "safety meetings" right at the bottom of the back stairs to the hostel. Then on their first night they were out drinking very heavily until very late ( the hostel asks that everyone be in by 10:30pm) and early in the morning one thru up all over his bed and attempted to cover that up by changing the sheets and putting the soiled ones in the laundry basket. But they also threw up in the bathroom and then to top it off they crapped in the bathroom floor. On the their second and last night they again stayed out very late drinking. They left the next morning without making any donation for the four of them for the two nights. Shortly after it was discovered that someone had taken a crap on the rooftop deck- gee who would do that? And they were obnoxious the whole time, one of them openly talked about wanting to get in a fight.
      you did the right thing
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

you did the right thing
      fuggin' farm animals.
    • socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

you did the right thing
      fuggin' farm animals.
      I believe I have seen farm animals with more class.
    • Astro wrote:

socks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

you did the right thing
      fuggin' farm animals.
      I believe I have seen farm animals with more class.
      Those guys need to have their ass kicked up around their shoulders.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • no one wants to play trail cop but sometimes ya just have to.

when i thru'd there were a lot more church hostels than there are now (thats another story). they were either free or a small donation. they weren't there to make a buck, it was just their mission to help the hikers. they had rules of the house posted; no alcohol was almost always mentioned. many hikers still drank in the church hostels. seems to me if someone invites you into their home and you accept the invitation then you have an obligation to follow whatever rules are laid down. or stay somewhere else. so while i thot it was wrong that people ignored the rules i said nothing. none of my business.

until i reached hanover.

there was a free hostel at the episcopal church. the guidebook warned that hikers should be on their best behavior as the pastor felt used and abused by the hikers. no alcohol was part of the church rules. hikers had a room in the basement. one night a group of 6 was drinking upstairs in the sanctuary. i felt this disprespect crossed the line.

i knew i had to say something. i figured i would be "that guy" and a pariah. but i spoke. and the hikers thanked me for speaking up, said they hadn't set out to drink in the santuary but thats just where they ended up. they went back to the basement. this was never mentioned again and to my knowledge no one ever criticized me for speaking up.

unfortunately, that was the last year hikers were allowed to stay at the church.
      2,000 miler
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Well I have been here with the 12 Tribes resting my foot for 3 days and it is barely better. And I still have some numbness in my toes and balls of my feet so I have decided to end my LASH and save my feet to hike another day. 8 states and almost 700 miles in 45 days it has been quite a hike. I have met tons of people and made many new friends and have experienced unbelievable kindness and have priceless memories.
      cut n paste from something i wrote last november in another thread:

this is something i've been wondering about.
      except for virginia and maine, i wore mid weight boots with a vibram sole on my thru.
      i had no feet issues during or after my hike,
      from what i've read on the internet, many thrus are complaining about foot pain at the end of their trip.
      i have switched to trail runners. will i notice a difference on the pennsylvainia rocks? i don't know, but i can't wait to find out. (my guess, of course, is that i will. the question is how much.)

i'm wondering if you just answered my question....
      2,000 miler
    • if I was to do Pennsylvania again it would be in trail shoes like keens or oboz not trail runners. But everyone is different and our days for the most part were 15 to 18 milers thru Pennsylvania so maybe we pushed too hard too soon.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

if I was to do Pennsylvania again it would be in trail shoes like keens or oboz not trail runners. But everyone is different and our days for the most part were 15 to 18 milers thru Pennsylvania so maybe we pushed too hard too soon.
      Advice taken, I will try to pick up the tempo other places so I can go a little slower through Northern half of PA.
    • One interesting side note to my trip. A few weeks after I returned I had my regular 6 months check up with my cardio doc and as part of that a cholesterol check. My number was 200 and they had me on 10mg of lipitor which I had only been taking half a dose because it seemed to give me muscle pain.
      Well while hiking I didn't even take my half dose half the time so I was worried about the results of that combined with the 8 candy bars day and other junk and town cheeseburgers and a few beers and a few more beers.
      Well now my number is 140 ! Candy bars + junk food+beer+ hiking=low cholesterol. Who knew?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I have heard that. I dont have high bp. I had some random irregular heatbeats (electrical problem) but now my doc is not even sure if I need meds. I am on a half dose of the lowest dose. He said come back in year this time. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I have heard that. I dont have high bp. I had some random irregular heatbeats (electrical problem) but now my doc is not even sure if I need meds. I am on a half dose of the lowest dose. He said come back in year this time. :)
      Cancel the appointment.
      Go on another hike instead.
      I had an MRI scan in 2011. Surgeon wanted me to come back and have another one a year later. I still haven't gone back. What's the point? If things have changed I still won't say yes to surgery. If it hasn't changed I save myself an expensive pointless visit.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.