Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Record Attempts?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Whilst I repeat that I have no interest in running anywhere, I have to admit that I am planning my own record attempt next year.
      After my 60th birthday, I intend to do a yoyo hike of the Bib. One direction with Annie at whatever pace she wants and then on my own back with full pack as fast as I can go (walking). I plan on averaging 25 to 30 miles or more a day (600mile trail). It wouldn't be an overall record and no one keeps age records but I think I can safely say it hasn't been done in under 4 weeks by someone over 60 yet. I think i could do it in close to 3 weeks although not under. The current supported record is a touch over 16 days. Scott would shatter that record at the rate he is going.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Whilst I repeat that I have no interest in running anywhere, I have to admit that I am planning my own record attempt next year.
      After my 60th birthday, I intend to do a yoyo hike of the Bib. One direction with Annie at whatever pace she wants and then on my own back with full pack as fast as I can go (walking). I plan on averaging 25 to 30 miles or more a day (600mile trail). It wouldn't be an overall record and no one keeps age records but I think I can safely say it hasn't been done in under 4 weeks by someone over 60 yet. I think i could do it in close to 3 weeks although not under. The current supported record is a touch over 16 days. Scott would shatter that record at the rate he is going.
      That sounds like a fantastic way to celebrate your birthday! Will Hoo Roo be keeping the official records of this hike, or would that in some way be considered a blemish on the new record you are creating?

I think I have been inspired to work on my own AT record - Most pictures taken and most flowers stopped for and smelled. :D
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • Latest update from scott jurek's fb page

"Appalachian Trail Day 26: Happy Summer Solstice! It's an AT tradition to hike naked today but my fear of ticks got the better of me. Day 21 started at Hogwallow Gap in Shenandoah National Park and ended at a road construction site at Keys Gap, 57.1 miles. Day 22 Rickey Gates joined the team for two days on his way to Mount Washington Hill Climb, it's always nice to see another familiar face. I completed the four state challenge (VA, WV, MD, PA) and met a lot of great folks including a big group from theAppalachian Trail Conservancy, finished in light rain at Old PA 16, 49.5 miles. Day 23 crossed the official halfway point and ended at the ATC Mid-Atlantic Regional Office, 54.7 miles. Day 24 so many great people all day kept me going to Greenpoint School Rd, 59.7 miles. Day 25 ran through Hurricane Bill into the night over some rocky terrain to Hawk Mountain Rd, 52.3. My buddy Russell brought me Thai food from NYC and Vegan Treats delivered two boxes of out of this world desserts which made everything better. Today, I slept in! Ran with Glen Redpath, Nathan Echols and a bunch of locals all day and cut it short at Wind Gap to catch up on sleep, 45.5 miles. Good night!"
      its all good
    • update from scott jurek's fb page:

"Appalachian Trail Day 28: I startled a large black bear this morning and then came upon "Mama Bear" and her 3 kids "Strongman" and "Little Butt" (5 year old twins) and "Spicy Guy" age 11. They thru-hiked from Springer Mt to Harpers Ferry last year and this year are completing the second half to Katahdin completely self supported. Trail tough kids, built to last! Day 27 started at Wind Gap, entered the state of New Jersey, took a nap, and finished way past my bedtime at High Point State Park, 58.3 miles"

share.delorme.com/scottjurek
      its all good
    • It looks like his strategy of going to road crossings is working out great for him. I'm guessing the shorter 40 mile days gives him some resting time. He's certainly capable of the bigger mile days.

I'd sure like to see him set the record going north bound. Then we could quit hearing year after year that it can't be done that way.
    • Dmax wrote:

It looks like his strategy of going to road crossings is working out great for him. I'm guessing the shorter 40 mile days gives him some resting time. He's certainly capable of the bigger mile days.

I'd sure like to see him set the record going north bound. Then we could quit hearing year after year that it can't be done that way.
      i agree. i have no interest in crew assisted hikes - hump your pack and i'm all in - but i'm rooting for him to set the record just to see the reaction of all the self proclaimed experts who sniff and say "can't go nobo" and "can't stop at the roads". that to me will be the interesting part.
      2,000 miler
    • update from scott jurek's fb page:

"Appalachian Trail Day 29: Just ran over the lowest point of elevation on the entire AT, the Bear Mountain Zoo at 124' (38m), right before crossing over the Hudson River. Kinda gives a new meaning to one of my favorite album's opening lyric "New York, I love you, but you're bringing me down."
      Amazing to be back in the Empire State, thanks for the love! Can somebody please bring me a vegan cinnamon roll from Peace Food Cafe?!"

[IMG:https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11535816_10153565564955329_7465530056668580878_n.jpg?oh=e1a7e583ed13b9d4a3fbbb657f1266bc&oe=5626EE66]photo: jenny jurek
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

update from scott jurek's fb page:

"Appalachian Trail Day 29: Just ran over the lowest point of elevation on the entire AT, the Bear Mountain Zoo at 124' (38m), right before crossing over the Hudson River. Kinda gives a new meaning to one of my favorite album's opening lyric "New York, I love you, but you're bringing me down."
      Amazing to be back in the Empire State, thanks for the love! Can somebody please bring me a vegan cinnamon roll from Peace Food Cafe?!"

[IMG:https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11535816_10153565564955329_7465530056668580878_n.jpg?oh=e1a7e583ed13b9d4a3fbbb657f1266bc&oe=5626EE66]photo: jenny jurek
      looks like a scene outta forest gump.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

its pretty cool that so many are coming out to run with him.
      looks like about 15 plus or minus are running along.
      i guess groups over 8 are ok if its a record attempt.

this is totally against the atc's mission statement re the purpose of the trail.
      Like I said, a lot of runners are interested and don't have a clue about hiking. I bet none of those runners in that group even know what the ATC is.

The AT sure is getting a lot of exposure lately. (The BMT is way better. :D )
      Lost in the right direction.
    • max.patch wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

looks like about 15 plus or minus are running along.
      i guess groups over 8 are ok if its a record attempt.

this is totally against the atc's mission statement re the purpose of the trail.
      If he invited them and they're his support team, that's one thing.

If they just showed up to watch, run alongside, and cheer, how's that different from any other person deciding to run on the Trail that day?

Bear Mountain isn't Baxter. It's freaking suburbia. It'll take the traffic.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Da Wolf wrote:

max.patch wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

looks like about 15 plus or minus are running along.i guess groups over 8 are ok if its a record attempt.

who gives a rat's ass what the ATC thinks
      apparently nobody. and thats the problem. it's clear that the atc no longer influences hiker useage of the trail. their recommendations are ignored by most. if that positive or negative for the trail?
      2,000 miler
    • Da Wolf wrote:

the ATC promotes thru-hiking and everything that comes along with it. record attempts, hordes of "dreamers" crowding the south, big ass hiker feeds, etc.
      the atc does not promote hiker feeds. their position is that if one wants to "give back" they would prefer that trail maintenance be done. they go on to say that if you are going to ignore their advice and do a feed anyway, that it should be held off trail, preferably on a hard surface, and not advertised. all ignored.

i have yet to figure out how feeding somebody on vacation is "giving back" to the trail.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

photo: jenny jurek
      he better not decide to stop like Forrest before he finishes
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

photo: jenny jurek
      he better not decide to stop like Forrest before he finishes
      that would be funny!

jurek reaches hanover and then....

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

the ATC promotes thru-hiking and everything that comes along with it. record attempts, hordes of "dreamers" crowding the south, big ass hiker feeds, etc.
      the atc does not promote hiker feeds. their position is that if one wants to "give back" they would prefer that trail maintenance be done. they go on to say that if you are going to ignore their advice and do a feed anyway, that it should be held off trail, preferably on a hard surface, and not advertised. all ignored.
      i have yet to figure out how feeding somebody on vacation is "giving back" to the trail.
      I usually leave a "deposit" or two on the trail when hiking. I usually leave it under a rock.

Does this count as giving back?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

the atc does not promote hiker feeds. their position is that if one wants to "give back" they would prefer that trail maintenance be done. they go on to say that if you are going to ignore their advice and do a feed anyway, that it should be held off trail, preferably on a hard surface, and not advertised. all ignored.i have yet to figure out how feeding somebody on vacation is "giving back" to the trail.
      I usually leave a "deposit" or two on the trail when hiking. I usually leave it under a rock.
      Does this count as giving back?
      Ever been geocaching? Those containers in the woods are NOT toilets. :rolleyes:
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

the atc does not promote hiker feeds. their position is that if one wants to "give back" they would prefer that trail maintenance be done. they go on to say that if you are going to ignore their advice and do a feed anyway, that it should be held off trail, preferably on a hard surface, and not advertised. all ignored.i have yet to figure out how feeding somebody on vacation is "giving back" to the trail.
      I usually leave a "deposit" or two on the trail when hiking. I usually leave it under a rock.Does this count as giving back?
      oops.
      2,000 miler
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Rasty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

I usually leave a "deposit" or two on the trail when hiking. I usually leave it under a rock.Does this count as giving back?
      what a great idea :D
    • OzJacko wrote:

560 odd divided by 13.
      About 43 miles a day has him on target.
      Big ask for New Hampshire and Maine but he looks like he could do it.
      Of course with an aero blaze at Monson, he would romp it in.
      :D
      A potential problem is that in the stretch coming up, there are some places where road crossings and not very convenient, so hitting that 40+ mpd pace will be a challenge. Maybe he has a plan to deal with the problem of a day when he either has to walk way too little or way too much to hit a road crossing to meet up with his support team. Map man has made a detailed analysis of the remaining route on the OS. We shall see.
    • even doyles slackpacking "expeditions" have to put on a backpack for a couple nites.

doyle is smart enough to make minor adjustments to his master plan and i'm sure jurak is too.

i found the wailing and gnashing of teeth of at TOS -- 20 miles is not enough but you can't do 60 miles in that section!!! -- humourous reading a couple days ago.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

Here are his day-by-day updates to now

what amazes me is his longest day thus far is over the PA rocks...59.3 green point school rd. to Eckville shelter, granted it's not the Northern Wind Gap area, but PA rocks just the same. Equally as telling is the Wind Gap PA area to NJ 23 he's laid down 45 miles...that's the rockiest section in my mind, in PA anyway.
    • socks wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Here are his day-by-day updates to now

what amazes me is his longest day thus far is over the PA rocks...59.3 green point school rd. to Eckville shelter, granted it's not the Northern Wind Gap area, but PA rocks just the same. Equally as telling is the Wind Gap PA area to NJ 23 he's laid down 45 miles...that's the rockiest section in my mind, in PA anyway.
      In conclusion, I guess one could say (but not me, they suck) "the PA rocks aren't all that bad" but the worst section is in fact around the Wind Gap PA area, and a topic of much discussion.