Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Record Attempts?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• And here are the final numbers, as I have them

Date
      Day
      Daily Miles
      Miles/Day (Cumm)
      5/27
      Springer 5:56 AM

5/27
      Unicoi Gap
      5/28
      Rock Gap
      5/29
      Yellow Creek Gap
      5/30
      Newfound Gap
      5/31
      Lemon Gap
      6/1
      Devil Fork Gap
      6/2
      Irwin
      6/3
      Carver's Gap
      6/4
      Dennis Cove Road
      6/5
      Damascus
      6/6
      Fox Creek
      6/7
      VA 625
      6/8
      Dismal Falls
      6/9
      VA 613
      6/10
      VA 311
      6/11
      Jennings Creek Rd
      6/12
      US 60
      6/13
      Humpback Gap
      6/14
      Skyline Drive MP 66.7
      6/15
      Hogwallow Gap
      6/16
      WV 9 Keys Gap
      6/17
      PA 16
      6/18
      PA 174 Boiling Springs
      6/19
      Green Point School Rd
      6/20
      Eckville Shelter
      6/21
      PA 33 Wind Gap
      6/22
      NJ 23
      6/23
      Arden Valley Rd
      6/24
      Grape Hollow Rd
      6/25
      Mt Easter Rd
      6/26
      Beartown Mtn Rd
      6/27
      Bascom Lodge
      6/28
      Stratton Arlington Rd
      6/29
      VT 103
      6/30
      Joe Ranger Rd
      7/1
      NH 25A
      7/2
      Galehead Hut
      7/3
      Mizpah Spring Hut
      7/4
      Imp Shelter
      7/5
      Full Goose Shelter
      7/6
      Base of Elephant Mtn (South)
      7/7
      Spaulding Mountain Lean To
      7/8
      Carrying Place Rd / Scott Rd
      7/9
      ME 15
      7/10
      1 mile NE of Mountain View Pond
      7/11
      Abol Bridge
      7/12
      Katahdin 2:04 PM

46 days, 8 hrs, 8 min

Total Miles

• hikerboy wrote:

maybe it was non alcoholic.either way it's not a good idea to call more attention to it.it was a very public celebration.if bsp had a problem with it I'm sure they're already aware of it.

I rooted for Scott, but this probably wasn't the best choice for capping off his adventure. Someone from his camp should have said, "Hey - Let's save the party until we are firmly on the ground." If for no other reason than for PR purposes. Eat healthy, workout and you can set records! But, wait - You will need to drink alcohol to or your journey is not complete! That kind of sends mixed messages in itself. There is a time and a place for things, this just wasn't the time, or place. Doesn't mean I'm not happy for the guy. Just means I think his camp should have thought that one through a bit better. Scott most likely was not in the best shape to make safe choices at that point.

I have no idea if Scott chose to drink, or not... But, had he consumed any alcohol, and then fallen on his way down, what would that choice have done for the AT crowd in BSP (not to mention poor Scott!)? Not trying to debate the point - Just throwing that perspective out there. Drinking up on Katahdin is not a wise choice. Drinking on Katahdin with very little sleep would be an even bigger recipe for disaster.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • as i see it, it was a very public celebration on instagram, facebook and a number of runner sites. im sure bsp officials were aware of the attempt, especially with the brouhaha that accompanied scott up the mountain, and if bsp had a problem with the uncorking of a champagne bottle, theyre probably already aware of it.
      to call additional attention to it doesnt help the at community at all.the deed was already done,and can't be undone. so what purpose does highlighting it serve?
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

as i see it, it was a very public celebration on instagram, facebook and a number of runner sites. im sure bsp officials were aware of the attempt, especially with the brouhaha that accompanied scott up the mountain, and if bsp had a problem with the uncorking of a champagne bottle, theyre probably already aware of it.
      to call additional attention to it doesnt help the at community at all.the deed was already done,and can't be undone. so what purpose does highlighting it serve?
      To keep the next AT hiker (and the one after that and the one after that) from making the same choice with an alcoholic beverage. It is quite clear that there are those who think they are special and are above the rules. Not saying that toward Scott specifically, but it is obvious that there are many in the trail community who think rules do not apply to them. Like it or not, that picture of Scott with a champagne bottle (even if he chose not to drink) was not a wise choice as an ambassador for the trail.

It can either be written off as "oh, his hike was special so he deserves this," or it can be used to keep the next person from making the same choice. Because every AT hiker is gonna think their hike is special - The park will not feel the same way about it. Since there are a lot of new people being introduced to the AT with the movies coming out and FKT attempts, it makes sense to point out to them that this is something you should not do.

At some point, Baxter is going to say "enough is enough." In policing our own, it shows that the community is trying to do something about it, so that the park doesn't have to.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

as i see it, it was a very public celebration on instagram, facebook and a number of runner sites. im sure bsp officials were aware of the attempt, especially with the brouhaha that accompanied scott up the mountain, and if bsp had a problem with the uncorking of a champagne bottle, theyre probably already aware of it.
      To keep the next AT hiker (and the one after that and the one after that) from making the same choice with an alcoholic beverage. It is quite clear that there are those who think they are special and are above the rules. Not saying that toward Scott specifically, but it is obvious that there are many in the trail community who think rules do not apply to them. Like it or not, that picture of Scott with a champagne bottle (even if he chose not to drink) was not a wise choice as an ambassador for the trail.
      It can either be written off as "oh, his hike was special so he deserves this," or it can be used to keep the next person from making the same choice. Because every AT hiker is gonna think their hike is special - The park will not feel the same way about it. Since there are a lot of new people being introduced to the AT with the movies coming out and FKT attempts, it makes sense to point out to them that this is something you should not do.

At some point, Baxter is going to say "enough is enough." In policing our own, it shows that the community is trying to do something about it, so that the park doesn't have to.
      this was my thought exactly.
    • socks wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

To keep the next AT hiker (and the one after that and the one after that) from making the same choice with an alcoholic beverage. It is quite clear that there are those who think they are special and are above the rules. Not saying that toward Scott specifically, but it is obvious that there are many in the trail community who think rules do not apply to them. Like it or not, that picture of Scott with a champagne bottle (even if he chose not to drink) was not a wise choice as an ambassador for the trail.It can either be written off as "oh, his hike was special so he deserves this," or it can be used to keep the next person from making the same choice. Because every AT hiker is gonna think their hike is special - The park will not feel the same way about it. Since there are a lot of new people being introduced to the AT with the movies coming out and FKT attempts, it makes sense to point out to them that this is something you should not do.

this isnt "policing one's own"; its calling additional attention to the event, whether alcohol was involved or not.the way i see it, its someone yelling" hey look!! another thru hiker breaking the rules!! please reroute the trail !!" so if you want to see the park close to at hikers , write a letter to baxter to call even more attention to it.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

To keep the next AT hiker (and the one after that and the one after that) from making the same choice with an alcoholic beverage. It is quite clear that there are those who think they are special and are above the rules. Not saying that toward Scott specifically, but it is obvious that there are many in the trail community who think rules do not apply to them. Like it or not, that picture of Scott with a champagne bottle (even if he chose not to drink) was not a wise choice as an ambassador for the trail.It can either be written off as "oh, his hike was special so he deserves this," or it can be used to keep the next person from making the same choice. Because every AT hiker is gonna think their hike is special - The park will not feel the same way about it. Since there are a lot of new people being introduced to the AT with the movies coming out and FKT attempts, it makes sense to point out to them that this is something you should not do.
      this isnt "policing one's own"; its calling additional attention to the event, whether alcohol was involved or not.the way i see it, its someone yelling" hey look!! another thru hiker breaking the rules!! please reroute the trail !!" so if you want to see the park close to at hikers , write a letter to baxter to call even more attention to it.
      I hardly think the park is paying any attention to my words and I highly doubt a letter from me is what would generate a re-route of the trail. I am not that powerful of a person.

A picture is worth a thousand words and that picture of Scott with the champagne, next to the Katahdin sign? Well, that picture is everywhere. That picture is what a lot of new AT hikers will see and will plan to do when they reach the top of Katahdin - Just like Scott! That picture is what the park will have to deal with, not me.

In an attempt to keep the trail in the park, I am merely trying to keep the next person from thinking it is a good idea. But, if the AT community wants to believe that everything is fine within the park and everything is okay and long as it isn't mentioned, then maybe it deserves to lose Katahdin from the trail.
    • hikerboy wrote:

socks wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

that picture is all over the internet. it even made usatoday and ya can't much more mainstream than that. baxter state park is well aware of what happened; discussing it on this or any other website is not going to tell anything them they don't already know.

but maybe, just maybe, discussing it will tell next years hikers -- who have seen the photo -- that drinking on the summit is a violation of bsp rules and if it continues just may result in us losing katahdin as the a.t. terminus.
      2,000 miler
    • Da Wolf wrote:

Dmax wrote:

looks like southbound is the better way to go. Springer doesn't have this rule yet, do they?

Since the AT is federal land, is alcohol banned on the whole AT?
      springer is in a national forest. there's tons of alcohol there every spring for 200 miles north with all the damn angels doing their damn magic
      what are you complaining about. you played trail angel this spring passing out beer at gooch gap.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Dmax wrote:

looks like southbound is the better way to go. Springer doesn't have this rule yet, do they?

Since the AT is federal land, is alcohol banned on the whole AT?
      springer is in a national forest. there's tons of alcohol there every spring for 200 miles north with all the damn angels doing their damn magic
      what are you complaining about. you played trail angel this spring passing out beer at gooch gap.
      no. trail devil. i didn't FEED fat people that didn't need food. i didn't go to gooch with the intention of giving out beer. but once i offered, them hikers were happy as hell. they didn't want food.
    • Toli wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

much ado over nothin'. there are no signs in baxter when a hiker enters on foot telling you no alcohol allowed. it's BSPs fault if rules are being broken
      ignorance of the law is no excuse
      Oh SNAP... Time for a big 'ol bowl of popcorn...
      Do you melt extra butter for your popcorn?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • max.patch wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

Dmax wrote:

looks like southbound is the better way to go. Springer doesn't have this rule yet, do they?Since the AT is federal land, is alcohol banned on the whole AT?

Make that wit "Movie Theater Butter"...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...