Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

moose717 wrote:

I have two questions & one offer ...

1. I have my base layers, hiking layers & camp layers. What should I use for rainwear if it should rain? Will my frogg toggs work as a rain cover for me? It's what I used in the Spring when it rained.
      2. I don't have snow shoes but have crampons. I plan on bringing the them, but I don't want to be postholin'. Is there another option? If the snow is too deep, I'll probably bail

I have a 7 passenger mini-van if for shuttles if needed. I plan on going Friday - Monday, I think that's basically Elk Pen to Bear Mountain?

Thanks!!

The frogg toggs are absolutely fine!

No need for snow shoes since there will be so many of us that you are pretty much guaranteed a packed trail, and the mileage planned is low enough so you should be fine with the amount of snow we are likely to have.

Crampons of some kind are a good idea -- in the right (or wrong...) conditions the trail can get icy. Sounds to me like you are really all set!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

[/quote]right now the long term forecast is mild for next weekend after a bitter cold midweek warming back up to the 40s possibly hit 50 on saturday.[/quote]

It'd be great if it's that warm! Either way cold or mild, I'll be prepared -- just want to make sure that no matter what I don't get wet. I have a realistic "fear" of hypothermia.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

right now the long term forecast is mild for next weekend after a bitter cold midweek warming back up to the 40s possibly hit 50 on saturday.[/quote]

It'd be great if it's that warm! Either way cold or mild, I'll be prepared -- just want to make sure that no matter what I don't get wet. I have a realistic "fear" of hypothermia.[/quote]

I love to start a post "when you get to be my age..." I've lived a good, long life already.

So, I call it "my race against hypothermia" ... Move fast enough and it can't catch you!

right now the long term forecast is mild for next weekend after a bitter cold midweek warming back up to the 40s possibly hit 50 on saturday.[/quote]

It'd be great if it's that warm! Either way cold or mild, I'll be prepared -- just want to make sure that no matter what I don't get wet. I have a realistic "fear" of hypothermia.[/quote]

Don't worry too much about hypothermia, we will be with a large group and we'll all be there to help each other out if necessary.

Last year Hikerboy, CoachLou, Lazarus and I did a three day January trip where it was raining with temperatures ranging between 20-35 degrees, it wasn't ideal, but we all still had a great time.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

right now the long term forecast is mild for next weekend after a bitter cold midweek warming back up to the 40s possibly hit 50 on saturday.

Don't worry too much about hypothermia, we will be with a large group and we'll all be there to help each other out if necessary.

Last year Hikerboy, CoachLou, Lazarus and I did a three day January trip where it was raining with temperatures ranging between 20-35 degrees, it wasn't ideal, but we all still had a great time.[/quote]

it sucked and we loved it :cheer:
      its all good

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

right now the long term forecast is mild for next weekend after a bitter cold midweek warming back up to the 40s possibly hit 50 on saturday.

Last year Hikerboy, CoachLou, Lazarus and I did a three day January trip where it was raining with temperatures ranging between 20-35 degrees, it wasn't ideal, but we all still had a great time.[/quote]

socks wrote
      I'm sorry but I just had a vision of you boys spoonin...i know...I'm scared for life too now, hehe

socks wrote
      that's not a bad thing, fear is good at keepin us attentive to our selves.

ok... so the first thing we need to do is agree on the rules.

somehow, someone determines the actual snow depth on Saturday morning of the trek.

someone else has kept track of the snowfall depth guesses made in advance (not sure how far in advance, but...) by the trekkers.

the closest without going over wins something. like a one year free subscription to the applachian trail cafe. or an artisanal chocolate bar with artisanal sea salt and artisanal almonds. did you see the NYT article about how stupid the word artisanal is, and how it should be cut from our language? did you notice (while not mentioned in the article, and only noticed by me now that i am typing) that artisanal has anal in it? did you read about the calamari controversy? do you think i am manic?

thank you for being such a warm and welcoming group. I'll provide the artisanal chocolate bar for the winner.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

rocksNsocks wrote:

socks wrote
      that's not a bad thing, fear is good at keepin us attentive to our selves.[/quote]
      LOL ... just choked on my lunch ... artisanal turkey meatloaf

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

i'm starting to think there is a real possibility we won't have any snow at all!
      mud is much more likely. everythings gonna feeze up for a few days, then thaw again as we get to the weekend

HB.....twice now you have referred to this coming weekend.

This walk is MLK weekend, 17,18,19, 20 January....am I correct...or are The Elf and I hiking alone?!!!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

i'm starting to think there is a real possibility we won't have any snow at all!
      mud is much more likely. everythings gonna feeze up for a few days, then thaw again as we get to the weekend

This walk is MLK weekend, 17,18,19, 20 January....am I correct...or are The Elf and I hiking alone?!!!
      thats because i have this weekend off.
      its all good

hikerboy wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

thats because i have this weekend off.

Well..........you enjoy yourself! :)

moose717 wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

It'd be great if it's that warm! Either way cold or mild, I'll be prepared -- just want to make sure that no matter what I don't get wet. I have a realistic "fear" of hypothermia.

socks wrote
      that's not a bad thing, fear is good at keepin us attentive to our selves.[/quote]
      LOL ... just choked on my lunch ... artisanal turkey meatloaf

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]

I think more people die from coking each year than hypothermia, be careful out there, hehe :lol:
    • Re:Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I like mud

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

Sure, hikerboy slacker, you aren't coming and you SAY you like mud... :)
      shoot, i like everything.bring it on.
      Even....lightening bolts on and open bald, cold ass swollen creeks, ice storms in the woods with swaying trees and the tinkle tinkle thud of falling limbs.
      okay. i dont like lightning when im above treeline.
      its all good
    • Re:Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

hikerboy wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I like mud

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

Sure, hikerboy slacker, you aren't coming and you SAY you like mud... :)
      shoot, i like everything.bring it on.
      Even....lightening bolts on and open bald, cold ass swollen creeks, ice storms in the woods with swaying trees and the tinkle tinkle thud of falling limbs.
      okay. i dont like lightning when im above treeline.
      you bad bitch!
    • Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

i love cut and paste. here's an anonymous post from some other hiking related web area. I think it is meant to make sure AK feels the love:

...it'll be worth coming just to see me sneak up behind Another Kevin and give him a big hug! and you can't herd cats, anyway... that's what i say.

10 day forecast shows us at just about average temps for the trip -- likely above freezing daytime and mid twenties nights... and not looking like any snow cover. It'll be like winter in Georgia on a good weekend ...

and Abraham Lincoln didn't want to be president, did he?

BirdBrain wrote:

1azarus wrote:

did i get that wrong? am i doing it wrong? I think Rocksnsocks may be the closest thing we have to a history buff. who didn't want to be president?

Our 1st.

One of Washington's big selling points (other than the General winning the Revolutionary War) was that he did not have any children (direct bloodline), so we did not have to worry about starting another Royal Dynasty.

Lincoln did want it, really bad. I think his feeling inferior about no one from the south supporting him was the biggest reason for his obsessive desire "to preserve the union" or "rage the war of northern aggression" (depending on your perspective).
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

1azarus wrote:

did i get that wrong? am i doing it wrong? I think Rocksnsocks may be the closest thing we have to a history buff. who didn't want to be president?
      Well, here's a little history lesson for ya.

...I never really wanted to be President.....Nooooo, I wanted to work with my hands

...I shoulda went to collage, I should went to collage, I......

rocksNsocks wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Well, here's a little history lesson for ya.

...I never really wanted to be President.....Nooooo, I wanted to work with my hands

...I shoulda went to collage, I should went to collage, I......

I hate photos of myself, let alone groups of photos of me. :silly:
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

and now, for the daily i can't wait to go on this hike weather report... according to accuweather, friday high 47 low 23, saturday high 37 low 18, sunday high 30 low 13, monday high 25. No percipitation forecasted for the long weekend, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then.

It is nice to start the trip with the mellowest weather.

stay tuned. being new england, and all...

1azarus wrote:

and now, for the daily i can't wait to go on this hike weather report... according to accuweather, friday high 47 low 23, saturday high 37 low 18, sunday high 30 low 13, monday high 25. No percipitation forecasted for the long weekend, and no likelihood of much snow between now and then.

Can't wait! I don't post often, but have been a lurker here and the other site and can't wait to meet everyone.
      ― Cheryl Strayed

moose717 wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Can't wait! I don't post often, but have been a lurker here and the other site and can't wait to meet everyone.

Same here Moose! I stalked your picture gallery in the Blaze yesterday! Some very nice shots...and of the Park area.The pic with your friends at lunch behind a shelter looks like a nice area.............I will save the chit chat for the camp fire!

CoachLou wrote:

moose717 wrote:

1azarus wrote:

Same here Moose! I stalked your picture gallery in the Blaze yesterday! Some very nice shots...and of the Park area.The pic with your friends at lunch behind a shelter looks like a nice area.............I will save the chit chat for the camp fire!

YES! The moment I've been waiting for! Coach just promised to make a campfire.

1azarus wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

moose717 wrote:

1azarus wrote:

YES! The moment I've been waiting for! Coach just promised to make a campfire.

You can't beat that. He's a nice man.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.