Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

Thanks HB for the invite over here. I'll just copy/paste my post from the other site...

Hello Everyone,
      I would like to toss myself out there as a maybe for the hike also. I do not own any Winter gear so I will have to decide as the date gets close and I can see what the conditions will be and what I can pick up in the meantime (I am good to 20 degrees). I just ordered the Harriman map and if I come I would probably only join you for a subset of your hike. Beers and dinner at the Bear Mountain Inn sound good to me so I am thinking perhaps the last two nights of your hike (Sat - Mon?).

Really, I think it would be fun just to meet some of you. I have enjoyed following your discussions even if I do not post very much myself. No worries about me taking up space in the shelters, I would hammock hang nearby.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Just hooking in and I have not read many of the previous posts. So if I ask a question that has already been answered, forgive me. Can I bring my dog? He is a little shih-tzu but can easily hike from Arden (NY 17) to Lake Tiorati. I hope the answer is yes. If so, I would like to join you for Friday's hike, just I will continue beyond Fingerboard to Lake Tiorati where my car will be. Now, how are you getting from Arden to Bear Mt.? Are you leaving your cars at Bear Mt. and somehow getting rides to Arden and hiking east/north back to Bear Mt. What I will do is leave my car at Lake Tiorati Friday morning, my wife will then drive me & the dog to Bear Mt. pick up two passengers and take back to Arden. Does this help? What time are you meeting at Bear Mt & Arden on Friday. I can also take 4 passengers on Monday back to Arden from Bear Mt. in the afternoon (if needed), but can't hike Sat-Mon. So get back to me and see if I fit into your plans. BTW: I am not asking any cash for shuttling, but any money contributed will go towards a donation to NY/NJ Trail Conference.

askus3 wrote:

Just hooking in and I have not read many of the previous posts. So if I ask a question that has already been answered, forgive me. Can I bring my dog? He is a little shih-tzu but can easily hike from Arden (NY 17) to Lake Tiorati. I hope the answer is yes. If so, I would like to join you for Friday's hike, just I will continue beyond Fingerboard to Lake Tiorati where my car will be. Now, how are you getting from Arden to Bear Mt.? Are you leaving your cars at Bear Mt. and somehow getting rides to Arden and hiking east/north back to Bear Mt. What I will do is leave my car at Lake Tiorati Friday morning, my wife will then drive me & the dog to Bear Mt. pick up two passengers and take back to Arden. Does this help? What time are you meeting at Bear Mt & Arden on Friday. I can also take 4 passengers on Monday back to Arden from Bear Mt. in the afternoon (if needed), but can't hike Sat-Mon. So get back to me and see if I fit into your plans. BTW: I am not asking any cash for shuttling, but any money contributed will go towards a donation to NY/NJ Trail Conference.

Hi askus3,
      Welcome aboard gif.014
      I'm not part of this trip, but I do remember that someone else asked earlier about bringing their dog and the group was fine with it. You can send a private message to 1azarus - I think he is the unofficial organizer for the trip. The important thing is that all dogs on the trip get along with other dogs and be kept under control at all times. I hope if you decide to take your little guy that you take lots of pictures and post them both here on this thread and on the Hiking Buddies. Those little fellas can surprise you - some of them have the heart and determination of much bigger dogs! I used to have a little 7 lb dog who absolutely loved hiking!

askus3 wrote:

glad to hear you can join in... next comment is proceeded and followed with smiley faces :) that isn't a dog, it is a sleeping bag warming system :) the answer to your pup question is -- i don't think we have the right to tell you what to do AND i think it is a fine idea if you are comfortable with it! earlier someone asked about bringing a German Shepherd ( i think that was it...) and we all said yes -- so... go for it!

thank you so much for the offer to help with car placement. next comment proceeded and followed by a smiley face :) i have been referred to as the organizer of this trip. i like to think of my role as the pretty face (smiley face?) of this trip. :) let's wait for Another Kevin to answer your car placement questions!!!

see you soon! ...and with snow today and tomorrow, it may actually look like a winter trip we all take!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

1azarus wrote:

thank you so much for the offer to help with car placement. next comment proceeded and followed by a smiley face :) i have been referred to as the organizer of this trip. i like to think of my role as the pretty face (smiley face?) of this trip. :) let's wait for Another Kevin to answer your car placement questions!!!

This is a pretty disorganized trip. Think of it as a bunch of friends getting together, rather than a hiking club outing, and you'll have the idea.

Another car and an offer to shuttle are always welcome. Right now, Teacher, Snacktime and I are planning to meet up at Bear Mountain around midday on Friday, and shuttle one of our cars to the Elk Pen. Since I expect there will be comings and goings throughout the weekend, it would be nice to have cars available at intermediate points. Tiorati, Silvermine and Anthony Wayne come to mind as good places. We're planning short mileage, and none of the intermediate spots is more than a mile or so off trail, so if I have a ride to the start, I can drop my car at any of them and hike out with anyone that needs a shuttle in the middle of the weekend.

At the end of the hike, if my car is at Bear Mountain, I can shuttle at least three hikers back to Arden. It's on the way home for me. I'm coming from (farther) Upstate.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

I guess I had pretty bad timing on my hike last weekend in NY. I hiked in on the the AT from Elk Grove to Wm Brien shelter Friday afternoon. Then my Internet was to go on the AT over Bear Mtn Bridge up to the monastary on Rt 9 and back to Elk Grove on Saturday. BUT... Due to a navigation blunder that I'm almost embarrass to admit in public..... I followed the Dunderberg trail to the end while hiking in the early morning (dark) hours. The AT and Dunderberg trail follows the same tread and I faithfully followed the nice red circles on the white blazes. (You know the snow markings for the AT.). I didn't realize it until I came out at Rt 19W. So after a short road walk I was on my way. Coming back I ate at the Bear mountain Inn then took the AT back arriving at Elk Grove just after nightfall.

So bottom line I just hiked both routes that folks are talking about going. both were straight-forward though getting wood near fingerboard for a fire may be a bit of a challenge. I am a tentative for the upcoming trip. I haven't done a social trip in about two years so I may need to be chained down. I would likely be doing Friday evening through Sunday out and back from Elk Grove so I could probably do a shuttle on the way out on Sunday if needed.
      Images
      • image.jpg

46.4 kB, 800×600, viewed 263 times
      • image_2014-01-02.jpg

41.39 kB, 800×600, viewed 251 times
    • Re:Re: Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

OK, here's what I understand the roster to be. If the list gets much longer we may want to divide the party.

1azarus
      Another Kevin
      Teacher & Snacktime
      Coach Lou (but not overload)
      Sarcasm the elf
      LIhikers (Mr & Mrs & pooch)
      Malto
      IMscotty & pooch

That makes seven men, three women and two dogs (with not everyone coming for the whole trip). Anyone I'm missing?
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

Malto wrote:

I guess I had pretty bad timing on my hike last weekend in NY. I hiked in on the the AT from Elk Grove to Wm Brien shelter Friday afternoon. Then my Internet was to go on the AT over Bear Mtn Bridge up to the monastary on Rt 9 and back to Elk Grove on Saturday. BUT... Due to a navigation blunder that I'm almost embarrass to admit in public..... I followed the Dunderberg trail to the end while hiking in the early morning (dark) hours. The AT and Dunderberg trail follows the same tread and I faithfully followed the nice red circles on the white blazes. (You know the snow markings for the AT.). I didn't realize it until I came out at Rt 19W. So after a short road walk I was on my way. Coming back I ate at the Bear mountain Inn then took the AT back arriving at Elk Grove just after nightfall.

So bottom line I just hiked both routes that folks are talking about going. both were straight-forward though getting wood near fingerboard for a fire may be a bit of a challenge. I am a tentative for the upcoming trip. I haven't done a social trip in about two years so I may need to be chained down. I would likely be doing Friday evening through Sunday out and back from Elk Grove so I could probably do a shuttle on the way out on Sunday if needed.

I hope you can make it... And no chains involved... Pretty much HYOH for those with short attention spans!

Hikerboy thought of me and the total was upped to 9 men, 3 women & 2 dogs. I am definitely bringing Trekker (my shih-tsu), so add one canine thus 3 dogs. However, I will be hiking with you on Friday (maybe also Sunday, but no camping). Will help with transportation on Friday in anyway you need me for two extra people.

rocksNsocks wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

OK, I think that's nine men, three women and two dogs.

Anyone else?
      I'm in, check your messages...or not!

hey, buddy. you in with or without your ukulele? i can't quite imagine what it is like to play outside when it is colder than honolulu cold. maybe i'll bring a uke and leave it in my car... i am trying really hard to get Fluke ukelele to make a trail UL version... but it probably won't have heated strings.

1azarus wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Anyone else?

hey, buddy. you in with or without your ukulele? i can't quite imagine what it is like to play outside when it is colder than honolulu cold. maybe i'll bring a uke and leave it in my car... i am trying really hard to get Fluke ukelele to make a trail UL version... but it probably won't have heated strings.
      good point! the fingers don't work to good at the lower temps...so probably not. That's awesome Jim's makin you a ul uke/fluke.

Hey I thinkin Kelvin might have me on ignore, if that be the case would someone let me know so I don't keep sending him messages....oh brother!

rocksNsocks wrote:

1azarus wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Anyone else?

good point! the fingers don't work to good at the lower temps...so probably not. That's awesome Jim's makin you a ul uke/fluke.

Hey I thinkin Kelvin might have me on ignore, if that be the case would someone let me know so I don't keep sending him messages....oh brother!

Why would anyone have you on ignore? Too much would be missed. I don't believe that is the issue.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

CoachLou wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Nope. There are several missing from this rollcall yet.

I believe I may pick him up as I roll thru Shelton. If i don't see a post soon, I will call him!

Hey Lou, I think I might take you up on the ride to Harriman if you are still offering. Let me know.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Nope. There are several missing from this rollcall yet.

I believe I may pick him up as I roll thru Shelton. If i don't see a post soon, I will call him!

Hey Lou, I think I might take you up on the ride to Harriman if you are still offering. Let me know.
      We are good. We'll talk.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

I have two questions & one offer ...

1. I have my base layers, hiking layers & camp layers. What should I use for rainwear if it should rain? Will my frogg toggs work as a rain cover for me? It's what I used in the Spring when it rained.
      2. I don't have snow shoes but have crampons. I plan on bringing the them, but I don't want to be postholin'. Is there another option? If the snow is too deep, I'll probably bail

I have a 7 passenger mini-van if for shuttles if needed. I plan on going Friday - Monday, I think that's basically Elk Pen to Bear Mountain?

Thanks!!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

CoachLou wrote:

'Socks........you have a rough plan for the weekend?
      I do, it goes somethin like this...

leave Thursday or Friday...don't care which
      go to somewhere in the park and park....don't care where.
      hike to shelter and meet up with you...don't care which shelter.

Now all that said, Teacher and Kevin are planning to hook up at Elk somethin or other...I figured I'd do the same. But Teacher may have a conflict that puts her there Friday possible later...so I'm open as to where to go, though I'll be hiking on the slow side of things this trip, and I may cut the trip short to get home a spend some time with my Sister in-law who is comin in from Atlanta Thurday the 16th...so again I can pretty much do what ever...what did ya have in mind?

moose717 wrote:

I have two questions & one offer ...

1. I have my base layers, hiking layers & camp layers. What should I use for rainwear if it should rain? Will my frogg toggs work as a rain cover for me? It's what I used in the Spring when it rained.
      2. I don't have snow shoes but have crampons. I plan on bringing the them, but I don't want to be postholin'. Is there another option? If the snow is too deep, I'll probably bail

I have a 7 passenger mini-van if for shuttles if needed. I plan on going Friday - Monday, I think that's basically Elk Pen to Bear Mountain?

Thanks!!
      right now the long term forecast is mild for next weekend after a bitter cold midweek warming back up to the 40s possibly hit 50 on saturday.
      its all good

rocksNsocks wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

'Socks........you have a rough plan for the weekend?
      I do, it goes somethin like this...

leave Thursday or Friday...don't care which
      go to somewhere in the park and park....don't care where.
      hike to shelter and meet up with you...don't care which shelter.

Now all that said, Teacher and Kevin are planning to hook up at Elk somethin or other...I figured I'd do the same. But Teacher may have a conflict that puts her there Friday possible later...so I'm open as to where to go, though I'll be hiking on the slow side of things this trip, and I may cut the trip short to get home a spend some time with my Sister in-law who is comin in from Atlanta Thurday the 16th...so again I can pretty much do what ever...what did ya have in mind?
      truth be told I hadn't really given it to much thought...though I did pick up a nat geo harriman map the other day to replace my aged NYNJ trail conference harriman series...looking at the map right now to get familar.