Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

Teacher wrote:

Thursday? I thought it was starting Friday?
      See.....too much planning.................I have vaca days left over.....I can do anything............you have to have options, and be able to flow. We are ending @ Bear Mtn lot....? We are not all meeting at the same place I would imagine? HB is not 100% for the full tour yet................31 from 17a .......in winter......some cars must be dumped in between!?
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

Honestly Lou, I don't know the area aside from walking through in the A.T., we'll talk once we get closer to the trip and you can just direct me to park where we need a bailout car. I'm getting the snow tires put back on on Monday.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

I'm starting Friday from Route 17. If RocketSocks wants to start Thursday from Wildcat, that's fine with me, but I'm not showing up that early.

Socks - They salt the hell out of the Thruway, so we can have you park somewhere near Exit 16. No need to manage a snowy dirt road to a remote trailhead. Harriman is suburbia.

Bailout cars can go at some combination of Tiorati, Silvermine and Anthony Wayne. As long as we have one somewhere along Seven Lakes Drive, it should be good. If people want to Dunderberg and/or Doodletown instead (or in place of) Bear Mountain, then spot a car somewhere on 9W.

Tiorati Brook Road, Adren Valley Road, and Perkins Drive are all closed for the season. Seven Lakes Drive, US 6. County Road 106 and Palisades stay open year round.

I'm hoping that HB can help me out with where to park in the winter. Last time I hiked across Harriman in winter was a lot of years ago. I rode the train to Tuxedo, and the bus back down from Ft. Montgomery, so back then I didn't know where to park.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

rocksNsocks wrote:

I can pretty much do whatever, my schedule is open, my only concern is i don't drive in snow, my little truck sucks. Foot of snow on the trail..no problem, 1" snow on the road, socks don't go.

We an figure that out. If it's an issue we can get you where you need to be, by train or by picking you up.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I can pretty much do whatever, my schedule is open, my only concern is i don't drive in snow, my little truck sucks. Foot of snow on the trail..no problem, 1" snow on the road, socks don't go.

We an figure that out. If it's an issue we can get you where you need to be, by train or by picking you up.
      I just may have to take a train, and bus...gonna look pretty funny sleepin at grand central with snow shoes on, but oh well.

Three posts came by while I was editing my earlier post, so I had better try to bump it.

I'm starting Friday from Route 17. If RocketSocks wants to start Thursday from Wildcat, that's fine with me, but I'm not showing up that early.

Socks - They salt the hell out of the Thruway, so we can have you park somewhere near Exit 16. No need to manage a snowy dirt road to a remote trailhead. Harriman is suburbia.

Bailout cars can go at some combination of Tiorati, Silvermine and Anthony Wayne. As long as we have one somewhere along Seven Lakes Drive, it should be good. If people want to Dunderberg and/or Doodletown instead (or in place of) Bear Mountain, then spot a car somewhere on 9W.

Tiorati Brook Road, Adren Valley Road, and Perkins Drive are all closed for the season. Seven Lakes Drive, US 6. County Road 106 and Palisades stay open year round.

I'm hoping that HB can help me out with where to park in the winter. Last time I hiked across Harriman in winter was a lot of years ago. I rode the train to Tuxedo, and the bus back down from Ft. Montgomery, so back then I didn't know where to park.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.

AnotherKevin wrote:

Three posts came by while I was editing my earlier post, so I had better try to bump it.

that's good to know. And again I can start when ever, Teacher and I are planning on hooking up and I have the luxury right now schedule wise, so what ever works out best for logistics, i'm game.

rocksNsocks wrote:

Snacktime and I will come get you RS....we can stay in Hamilton at our friends the night before and pick you up Fri AM.......don't worry your pretty little head about it!

Teacher wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Snacktime and I will come get you RS....we can stay in Hamilton at our friends the night before and pick you up Fri AM.......don't worry your pretty little head about it!
      That's very Sweet Teacher, thanks, hopefully I won't need it...I'm sure it'll work out. I'm just really tired of driving on snow and having to climb out of my truck like climbing out of a submarine hatch...wrecked a bunch of times. I seriously would consider taking the train and bus, maybe not this trip, but have wanted to explore this option of getting to the AT, as I could walk out my front door, 1 mile to train station...bada bing bada boom! I do appreicieate the offer, I know you would.

rocksNsocks wrote:

Teacher wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

That's very Sweet Teacher, thanks, hopefully I won't need it...I'm sure it'll work out. I'm just really tired of driving on snow and having to climb out of my truck like climbing out of a submarine hatch...wrecked a bunch of times. I seriously would consider taking the train and bus, maybe not this trip, but have wanted to explore this option of getting to the AT, as I could walk out my front door, 1 mile to train station...bada bing bada boom! I do appreicieate the offer, I know you would.

If you ever decide you want to catch the Harlem line from NYC to Pawling, let me know as it's something I've wanted to do. We could head east to CT or west to Bear Mtn. (I suppose technically that would be North/South respectively)

I just love the idea of throwing on the pack at home and making the entire trip unassisted without the ease of the car.

Teacher wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Teacher wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

If you ever decide you want to catch the Harlem line from NYC to Pawling, let me know as it's something I've wanted to do. We could head east to CT or west to Bear Mtn. (I suppose technically that would be North/South respectively)

I just love the idea of throwing on the pack at home and making the entire trip unassisted without the ease of the car.
      Yep me too, sounds like a future trip.

rocksNsocks wrote:

actually I always get em confuse...Penn central, and grand central, one's train and one's bus?

not a big city guy, use to go in for concert, tha's about it...and the museums.

No...they're both trains. (The bus station is the Port Authority on 42nd st) The metro systems hub at Grand Central, so if you're planning on taking the Harlem Line it leaves out of GC. I'm not sure what the actual deliniation between the two is in terms of Amtrak, since it makes stops at both I believe. Anyway, GC is where we need to be, and the home of "the clock"......also built by Cornelius Vanderbilt, whose RI home "Breakers" was the site of Snacktime's most recent field trip (studying America's gilded age)

Teacher wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

actually I always get em confuse...Penn central, and grand central, one's train and one's bus?

not a big city guy, use to go in for concert, tha's about it...and the museums.

No...they're both trains. The metro systems hub at Grand Central, so if you're planning on taking the Harlem Line it leaves out of GC. I'm not sure what the actual deliniation between the two is in terms of Amtrak, since it makes stops at both I believe. Anyway, GC is where we need to be, and the home of "the clock"......also built by Cornelius Vanderbilt, whose RI home "Breakers" was the site of Snacktime's most recent field trip (studying America's gilded age)
      Awesome, went to the Vanderbilt's summer cottage ( :whistle: mansion) two summers ago, think I mentioned that once to yeah..crazy money there....ok, I'm followin your lead. Grand Central it is.

Trillium wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I had to wipeout the smileys and get rid of some spaces. It was easier to copy the link into Word & then get rid of the stuff and then copy & paste again in the address bar. I couldn't get my avatar to come over, but I'll work on that when I get home.

I love your avatar Moose!

Thanks ... taken somewhere in Maine on a car camping trip with the fam.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

We've had another request from a couple (LIHiker & spouse) to join the hike. ( I've forwarded the link and they should be here soon. )

They want to know if anyone would object to their dog accompanying them. Personally, Snacktime and I are fine with that, but we certainly can't speak for everyone. They plan on accompanying the "low and slow" group if it's ok. Anyone puppy-phobic? (Shepherd, experienced hiker, leashed)

Teacher wrote:

We've had another request from a couple (LIHiker & spouse) to join the hike. ( I've forwarded the link and they should be here soon. )

They want to know if anyone would object to their dog accompanying them. Personally, Snacktime and I are fine with that, but we certainly can't speak for everyone. They plan on accompanying the "low and slow" group if it's ok. Anyone puppy-phobic? (Shepherd, experienced hiker, leashed)

i'm pretty sure that the "Leave No Hiker Behind" attitude would include dogs with such responsible owners!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

Teacher wrote:

Just as long as know what they're doing taking a dog on a winter hike. The pup will most likely need his/her own ground pad and blanket/bag.

Teacher wrote:

Huge dog lover here Teach. :)

but could you ask if I could bring my dogs pack so they could carry my gun, spare spare batteries, and a place to put my spent pistachios...I like to pack my stuff out.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Teacher wrote:

Just as long as know what they're doing taking a dog on a winter hike. The pup will most likely need his/her own ground pad and blanket/bag.

Oh and I call dibbs on the "one dog night" it can sleep with me. :) don't tell Abbie Gale...she'll be pissed. :ohmy:

Hi Folks,

My wife Kathy and I, and our dog, would love to join you for the hike. The 3 of us are 4 season hikers/campers and are equipped for the adventure. I know that not everyone is comfortable around dogs so please don't hesitate to let me know if that's a problem. I might be able to talk Kathy into leaving the dog, a 90 pound shepherd, at home. We'd probably show up Friday night, or maybe crack of dawn on Saturday. We're pretty familiar with Harriman and are comfortable anyplace in the park. We'd travel with the slower, low mileage group.

LIhikers wrote:

Hi Folks,

My wife Kathy and I, and our dog, would love to join you for the hike. The 3 of us are 4 season hikers/campers and are equipped for the adventure. I know that not everyone is comfortable around dogs so please don't hesitate to let me know if that's a problem. I might be able to talk Kathy into leaving the dog, a 90 pound shepherd, at home. We'd probably show up Friday night, or maybe crack of dawn on Saturday. We're pretty familiar with Harriman and are comfortable anyplace in the park. We'd travel with the slower, low mileage group.
      seems like we've got a diverse enough party ot handle it.
      welcome.
      of course, we might now have to exclude cats
      its all good

The first leg of the slow group is planning on leaving Friday out of Elk Pen, headed for Fingerboard. The time of departure is uncertain, but will be posted when decided. Others will likely join us at the shelter, whether or not they actually hike with us. We're hoping to have the fire burning and water on the boil for whomever arrives Friday night.

LIhikers wrote:

Hi Folks,

I love doggies welcome.

my wife just showed me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjwe-BCfms

maybe we'll have a chance to try this on our walk. cold weather roulette -- throw a cup of water at your hiking buddy and see if it evaporates before really pissing off your friend.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!