Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Harriman Park, 2014-01-17/20

CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

He is also a referee, I've worked with him a few times over the years. People all season were congratulating me on my retirement. Folks I don't even know. I'm good, really, I don't think I'll miss it at all......the money yes....but not the aggravation.

Coach, I always felt the worst thing about youth sports is the parents. Fortunately my coaching career will be over this summer. I love the sports, especially baseball (although basketball and soccer were also fun especially when you are winning and seeing the kids improve), even once coached a team in the Dixie World Series. But the parents really do start to wear on you after a while.

My last year coaching was 2001...7-8 yr olds, I also had the same group as 5-6 yr olds. My son was playing High School then. Those last kids graduated last year. I have coached the young ones on three different occasions. My favorite time....all of us dads know how they are little sponges then. Plus, I taught them to 'Power Skate' before they even got bad habits, the games really didn't count for nothing.................and the young moms were sweet! :woohoo:

........I have only reffed since. It was a good skate, I had some nice games, I can't sneeze at the money, but, i'm done, and I really am good with it. 1 more but!!! I have taken about 3-4 games a month in a senior league......just to skate....get out of the house. We will see how long it takes for me to get tired of being out at midnight driving back the 30+ miles home

I'll bet you don't get tired of it all too soon.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

On Saturday, Fingerboard to Letterrock (Wm. Brien) is really short mileage. 1azarus is planning a long loop - longer than I want to walk - down to the Tuxedo area (Claudius Smith/Almost Perpendicular). I'm thinking of doing a loop to tour some of the iron mines in the area south of FIngerboard, and maybe discuss the history a little bit.

For what it's worth, some of the mines aren't on the NYNJTC published hikes, and there might be a wee bit of travel off the maintained trails. So I ought to put in the mandatory disclaimer that "unmaintained trails and woods roads vary considerably in quality, are not blazed, and are not recommended for inexperienced hikers." (It should be just fine for this gang: that's a cover-your-you-know-what statement!)

For what it's worth, Elf, this is in the distance range you mentioned.

I like this plan. I was thinking of maybe taking a hike up to the shelter on the LP and the cave shelter to see them. I've never been up that way. I forget the name of the shelter ... too lazy to look at my map right now ... Sturbridge or something like that?
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

He is also a referee, I've worked with him a few times over the years. People all season were congratulating me on my retirement. Folks I don't even know. I'm good, really, I don't think I'll miss it at all......the money yes....but not the aggravation.

Coach, I always felt the worst thing about youth sports is the parents. Fortunately my coaching career will be over this summer. I love the sports, especially baseball (although basketball and soccer were also fun especially when you are winning and seeing the kids improve), even once coached a team in the Dixie World Series. But the parents really do start to wear on you after a while.

I was a sports parent, my older daughter was a gymnast for 11 years. I WAS NOT one of "those" parents. I tried to stay away from them. When my daughter was training or competing, she belonged to the coach ... not me. And we still are friends with the coach and her family. Not many other parents are. She's been out of the sport for 4 years now. Good coaches are hard to come by sometimes and we lucked out.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

On Saturday, Fingerboard to Letterrock (Wm. Brien) is really short mileage. 1azarus is planning a long loop - longer than I want to walk - down to the Tuxedo area (Claudius Smith/Almost Perpendicular). I'm thinking of doing a loop to tour some of the iron mines in the area south of FIngerboard, and maybe discuss the history a little bit.

For what it's worth, some of the mines aren't on the NYNJTC published hikes, and there might be a wee bit of travel off the maintained trails. So I ought to put in the mandatory disclaimer that "unmaintained trails and woods roads vary considerably in quality, are not blazed, and are not recommended for inexperienced hikers." (It should be just fine for this gang: that's a cover-your-you-know-what statement!)

I'd like to take this moment to brag about AK's orienteering skills. Wondering off trail with AK is an adventure not to be missed.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

AnotherKevin wrote:

moose717 wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

For one night on the trail, I can pack up portions of mango chicken curry for those that want it, but you need your own pots, stoves and freezer bag cozies 'coz I'm not going to schlep cooking equipment for a crowd. (And those that want it can presumably carry their own packaged portions.) It's a freezer bag hybrid: first you boil water to reconstitute the dal bhaat, and then you do the curry (it cooks in a few minutes) in your pot while the dal bhaat is reconstituting in the freezer bag. Let me know so that I can plan how many to supply.

I always like to try new stuff ... I'm in. I won't really have anything to share :(. I just do MH & Knorrs for dinners/oatmeal & lots of coffee for breakfast/pbj & cheese on a wrap for lunch/dried fruit & gorp for snacks.

OK, that's you, me, Teacher and Snacktime. Laz, you want the curry again? Anyone else? I'm going shopping tomorrow, most likely., so speak up!

Will you post your recipe in the Trail Chef thread? It sounds great. Thanks.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • 1azarus wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

I'd like to take this moment to brag about AK's orienteering skills. Wondering off trail with AK is an adventure not to be missed.

i meant wandering!
    • 1azarus wrote:

1azarus wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

i meant wandering!
      yeah, I was wandering about that.

On Friday, I am free all day. My plan is for my wife (non-hiker) and I to drive 2 cars to Lake Tiorati. I will leave my car there. Then my wife & I can pick up 2 passnegers (my car seats 5, but my wife & I & dog take up 3 spaces) - wherever (Bear Mt., Tuxedo RR station, Harriman RR station, Sterling Forest bus stop). Then I will either start hiking from Sterling Forest end of County 106 or Elk Pen lot off of Arden Valley Road. I will hike to Lake Tiorati parking lot where my car is. I will be accompanied by my dog (shih-tzu) Trekker. So now I want to know where and when I should meet 2 people to give rides. If we choose to start hike at jct. 17A & 17, I could take Parker Cabin Hollow Trail to White Bar to Island Pond Road to Island Pond OR Wildcat Mt., Furnace Loop, Indian Hill to the AT above Agony Grind and then come down to Elk Pen and continue across to eventually pass island Pond & onward to Fingerboard. If we meet at Harriman RR station, we could take the Sapphire Trail to the AT and then eastward (northbound). Then hook up with others at Island Pond to Fingerboard. These options make longer full-day hikes. So I am agreeable to whatever people want me to do. Note: If the train comes in much earlier then noon, I would think rather than hang out at a train station in the middle of nowhere, it makes more sense to spend the time hiking. Of course you could do the Harriman RR - Sapphire to AT option without needing a ride from me. So let me know what 2 people would want. If someone wished to have my services, please e-mail me askus3@optonline.net and I will supply you with my cell phone number.

I put this on the other thread too:

OK> Here are my plans for Friday and where I'm leaving my car. I'm meeting Teacher & Snacktime at Bear Mountain at 11:00 am. I am going to leave my van in Parking Lot #1 until Monday and will be able to shuttle anyone back to their cars. I called the Palisades Parks Conservancy -- 845-786-2701 to ask about parking. This is what they told me (in case anyone else hiking is going to park there): Register your vehicle with the park police at the number above, extension 208 and park in Lot #1. Since there will be no one in the "toll booth" when I drop my car, I won't have to pay the fee. If that's the case, I may just make a donation to the conservancy.
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • 1azarus wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Those Boy Scouts skills pay dividends sometimes. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

They teach you how to do it all wrong. :)

gif.011
      Display Spoiler
      Seriously, they spend a lot of time teaching things like finding your position by sight resection.

(1) In the Eastern woodlands, you can never see far enough for a good sight, unless you're at an overlook. If you're at an overlook, you know where you are.

(2) If I can identify the distant objects in the East, I know where I am.

(3) In the East, it's too often fog, rain or whiteout.

I can imagine that sight resection might work in the Western desert, but I've literally never resected the sight other than taking or teaching an orienteering class.

What's way more important is learning to read the lay of the land and relate it to a topo map. And identifying handrails and collecting features. That's the real everyday stuff of knowing where you are on a bushwhack.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Astro wrote:

1azarus wrote:

They teach you how to do it all wrong. :)

gif.011
      Display Spoiler
      Seriously, they spend a lot of time teaching things like finding your position by sight resection.

(1) In the Eastern woodlands, you can never see far enough for a good sight, unless you're at an overlook. If you're at an overlook, you know where you are.

(2) If I can identify the distant objects in the East, I know where I am.

(3) In the East, it's too often fog, rain or whiteout.

I can imagine that sight resection might work in the Western desert, but I've literally never resected the sight other than taking or teaching an orienteering class.

What's way more important is learning to read the lay of the land and relate it to a topo map. And identifying handrails and collecting features. That's the real everyday stuff of knowing where you are on a bushwhack.

AK, if you have any interest in doing some map/compass instruction on the hike, I am all for it.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Wow the history is golden... Rich folk supporting hiking..

Edward Harriman and Mary Averell Harriman owned 30,000 acres (120 km2) in Arden, New York as part of their estate. They opposed the state's decision to build a prison at Bear Mountain and wanted to donate some of their land to the state in order to build a park. A year after the death of her husband in 1909, Mary Harriman proposed to Governor Charles Evans Hughes that she would donate 10,000 acres (40 km2) of land and $1 million for the creation of a new state park. As part of the deal, the state would do away with the plan to build the prison, appropriate an additional $2.5 million to acquire additional land and construct park facilities. The Palisades Interstate Park Commission would have its authority extended north into the Ramapo Mountains and the Hudson Highlands, and New Jersey would also contribute an amount of money deemed reasonable by the Commission. The state agreed and on October 29, 1910, William Averell Harriman presented a deed for the land and a million-dollar check to the Commission.
      Lake Kanawauke

In 1913, Major William A. Welch started construction on the road from Bear Mountain to Sloatsburg, known today as the Seven Lakes Drive. In 1962 a new road from the Southfields section of Tuxedo to Kanawake Circle was opened. There were also numerous other roads completed around Bear Mountain and Dunderberg Mountain in order to make it easier for people to reach the new park. In addition, there was steamboat service from Manhattan offering round trip tickets for 85 cents for adults and 45 cents for children.

The park received a large influx of free labor during the Great Depression. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) offered thousands of young men work such as building roads, trails, camps and lakes. Projects completed by the CCC in the park included Pine Meadow, Wanoksink, Turkey Hill, Welch, Silvermine and Massawippa Lakes. In 1993, the World Orienteering Championships were held at Harriman State Park.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

AK, if you have any interest in doing some map/compass instruction on the hike, I am all for it.

:unsure: In the iron mine district? The lesson from there is not to trust your compass when you're standing on a pile of iron ore. But I'll see what I can do.

Hey, I never claimed to know much about Harriman. gif.010
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Kevin, are you a geologist? a historian? Whatever, the geology and history of the area really interests me so whatever you can share.... I am in.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • "moose717" post=12063I ....... I was thinking of maybe taking a hike up to the shelter on the LP and the cave shelter to see them. I've never been up that way. I forget the name of the shelter ... too lazy to look at my map right now ... Sturbridge or something like that?[/quote wrote:

My wife and I slept in the cave shelter years ago, just so we could say we did.
      From there it's easy enough to get to William Brien shelter by going through the Silver Mine picnic area

Questions:

1) Kevin, I may be taking the short walk in from Tiorati Circle so please let me know if there is anything I can haul in (Firewood?)

2) I presume snow cover is gone in this area. Do you think I will still need microspikes?

I look forward to meeting all of you,
      Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

IMScotty wrote:

Questions:

1) Kevin, I may be taking the short walk in from Tiorati Circle so please let me know if there is anything I can haul in (Firewood?)

2) I presume snow cover is gone in this area. Do you think I will still need microspikes?

Scott

Hello! ...judgement call on the micro spikes... Not a bad idea to leave them in the car, at least. Mine are getting the weekend off.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

:unsure: In the iron mine district? The lesson from there is not to trust your compass when you're standing on a pile of iron ore. But I'll see what I can do.

I'm in for this too. I've tried to teach myself how to use my compass, but I can't show myself what I don't know. If you don't mind showing me, I'll soak it all up. I'm interested in the history of the mines too!
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • moose717 wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I'm in for this too. I've tried to teach myself how to use my compass, but I can't show myself what I don't know. If you don't mind showing me, I'll soak it all up. I'm interested in the history of the mines too!

Moose, learning is over-rated. a better plan is to just bring AK along with you whenever there is any danger of getting lost. and you can let him carry the compass.
    • moose717 wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I'm in on this, I could use some compass refreshing...and pokin around mines is right up my alley, most of my hiking over the years was geared at just suck an activity, along with rock houndin around.

1azarus wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Questions:

Scott

Hello! ...judgement call on the micro spikes... Not a bad idea to leave them in the car, at least. Mine are getting the weekend off.
      I so want to leave these behind as well...game time call.
    • 1azarus wrote:

moose717 wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Moose, learning is over-rated. a better plan is to just bring AK along with you whenever there is any danger of getting lost. and you can let him carry the compass.

cool ... he can carry my pack too. and my sunbrella in the summer & my winter clothes in the winter ... shite he can just carry me :)
      ― Cheryl Strayed

rocksNsocks wrote:

1azarus wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Questions:

Scott

I so want to leave these behind as well...game time call.

me too. ooooo I forgot ... I got my own Sherpa now. so if it's icy I don't have to walk! woot! woot!
      ― Cheryl Strayed

G.G. wrote:

FWIW... I just played in my first hockey game in 20+ yrs. 7 man line up.

This weekend is not going to be pretty.
      Hi G.G. at 32 years of age I entered a wrestling masters tournament, it was a 5 man round robin...I was hurt for a week+ One of our neighbors kid brought over a basket with cookies, ace bandages, and Ben Gay and a bunch of other stuff, it hurt to laugh...I feel your pain. Did I mention I got my butt handed to me...oh the things we do.

rocksNsocks wrote:

G.G. wrote:

Hi G.G. at 32 years of age I entered a wrestling masters tournament, it was a 5 man round robin...I was hurt for a week+ One of our neighbors kid brought over a basket with cookies, ace bandages, and Ben Gay and a bunch of other stuff, it hurt to laugh...I feel your pain. Did I mention I got my butt handed to me...oh the things we do.

Does that mean you wrestled in High School? ...quite the sport. (i did not, so this is not actually a poho setup post)

1azarus wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

G.G. wrote:

Does that mean you wrestled in High School? ...quite the sport. (i did not, so this is not actually a poho setup post)
      I did, not in collage though like the fellas I wrestled, i got punished, it was awesome! :S

moose717 wrote:

OK> Here are my plans for Friday and where I'm leaving my car. I'm meeting Teacher & Snacktime at Bear Mountain at 11:00 am. I am going to leave my van in Parking Lot #1 until Monday and will be able to shuttle anyone back to their cars. I called the Palisades Parks Conservancy -- 845-786-2701 to ask about parking. This is what they told me (in case anyone else hiking is going to park there): Register your vehicle with the park police at the number above, extension 208 and park in Lot #1. Since there will be no one in the "toll booth" when I drop my car, I won't have to pay the fee. If that's the case, I may just make a donation to the conservancy.
      Thanks Moose, will do the same.

rocksNsocks wrote:

moose717 wrote:

'Socks, I figure we should be at the Lot #1 by 1130, or meet us at Campmor! I'll call you enroute!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

CoachLou wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

moose717 wrote:

'Socks, I figure we should be at the Lot #1 by 1130, or meet us at Campmor! I'll call you enroute!
      alrighty, that sounds good.

1azarus wrote:

Where is campmor, anyway?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CustomerServiceContent____aboutus

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Campmor+Inc&city=Paramus&state=NJ&address=810+N+State+Rt+17&zipcode=07652&country=US&latitude=40.974701&longitude=-74.08135&geocode=ADDRESS&id=856728#eeede0a8f9135f8e7ebdf209

Bag is packed, too much crap ... but it's all good. I'll just triple check my list tomorrow and I'm good to go! Leaving the spikes home this time. Hope we get to see that full moon tomorrow night ...
      ― Cheryl Strayed