Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cold

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SandyofPA wrote:

May 24, 2013, at Overmountain shelter the moonrise was wonderful. It was memorial day weekend, 17 tents and a full shelter. A couple got engaged right after moonrise and the party went into the wee hours. Woke up to frost on the inside and outside of my tent, my tiny thermometer read 25 degrees F. Thawed out on Jane Bald later.

I like those mornings you don't have to wipe condensate off the tent...just give it a few hard shakes and watch the ice flakes sparkle in the sun.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

The ideal temps for me would be 25 during the walk, 85 for a dip in the river before hitting the sack, 25 for sleeping, and would you please turn the thermostat back up to 85 while I get out of the sack.

Cold mornings are disheartening for me, especially because I don't sleep good. But once I get hiking, everything is better. I forget that sometimes.

I think it's coffee time. Coffee.gif gif.014.gif
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

The ideal temps for me would be 25 during the walk, 85 for a dip in the river before hitting the sack, 25 for sleeping, and would you please turn the thermostat back up to 85 while I get out of the sack.

Cold mornings are disheartening for me, especially because I don't sleep good. But once I get hiking, everything is better. I forget that sometimes.

I think it's coffee time. Coffee.gif gif.014.gif

I catch the raw end every time the wife hikes with me...she wont get up until the coffee is ready...woman seems to have forgotten her place.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Elf...it was warm this year.....nice view from West Mtn. Just Bill and I got to my car as the freezing rain started........others had the walk farther....yuk!

The Friday night it was damned cold - I think the thermometer said -3 when I got my pack and Just Bill's pot back from the raccoon. At least one of the hammockers had to go to ground, and another guy decamped and slept in his car. The rain started when it warmed up, by which time I was on my way home, pulling into every rest area on the Thruway.

I've slept rough down to about -15 or -20. But I pitched on a snow platform, and carefully banked brush and snow against the tent, which is the only way I could manage that kind of temp with the gear I had. Once body heat warmed the now-insulated tent, I think it was close to freezing inside - certainly at least 30 degrees warmer than out.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.