Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Orthotics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So, I got off the trail after 120 miles because of excruciating foot pain. Considering an orthotic when I resume hiking in April.

Someone, might have been HB, mentioned Superfeet. I understand that are are different types, that I think go by color names. Does anyone have any insight on the different types and what differentiates them?

Are there any other orthotics besides Superfeet?

TIA.
    • LoboSolo wrote:

i had plantar fasciitus once. bad pain. i swore i would never buy Superfeet because of the price but i was desperate. i bought a pair of green ones, put them in my shoes and the pain vanished

Fully agree. My shoes cost about the same as these insoles. Worth every cent. They feel funny for a couple days. At least mine did. Will not hike without them again.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • i've worn green superfeet for about 10 years at the advice of my doctor when i developed plantar fasciitis. the website does a good job of explaining the difference between the various colors and how to properly insert it in the shoe. (at least it did last time i looked). some people need a breaking in period but that was not my case.

http://www.superfeet.com/
      2,000 miler
    • warning: this post is being made by a rainbow warrior with a thing for color diversity...

my understanding is that the orange superfeet insert is the only one that is male- foot specific. green superfeet were too narrow for my heel, and were blister-forming. the orange superfeet make my feet very very happy, and I have them in 4 or 5 pair of shoes. have used them for years and love them.
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • 1azarus wrote:

warning: this post is being made by a rainbow warrior with a thing for color diversity...

my understanding is that the orange superfeet insert is the only one that is male- foot specific. green superfeet were too narrow for my heel, and were blister-forming. the orange superfeet make my feet very very happy, and I have them in 4 or 5 pair of shoes. have used them for years and love them.
      i didnt know feet were gender specific.
      ive used the green ones, and definitely noticed a big difference in reducing foot fatigue
      its all good
    • LoboSolo wrote:

i had plantar fasciitus once. bad pain. i swore i would never buy Superfeet because of the price but i was desperate. i bought a pair of green ones, put them in my shoes and the pain vanished

I've picked a pair up several times but put them back down because of the price but you guys have convenced me to try a pair the next time out.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • hikerboy wrote:

1azarus wrote:

warning: this post is being made by a rainbow warrior with a thing for color diversity...

i didnt know feet were gender specific.
      ive used the green ones, and definitely noticed a big difference in reducing foot fatigue

sure are... you should hear a bunch of ski techs talking about the difference between men's and women's legs... i sure have noticed a difference...
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • 1azarus wrote:

Tru-Dat... I have been using the "Orange" in every pair of Mid or Full Boots I've owned for years... Having worn Vibram 5Fingers extensively for the last 3 years, I no longer need them in my Solomon's/Montrails Trail Runners...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • For several years I had terrible pain in the balls of my feet every time I hiked. I had properly fitting boots but by the 2nd or 3rd day out my feet started hurting by lunch time. For the longest time I thought it was just something that everyone experienced. I finally saw a podiatrist who hooked me up with a pair of custom orthotics. He explained that I had really high arches and not much cushioning on the ball of the foot. I haven't really had a problem with foot pain since then, except for Pennsylvania. The rocks there had my dogs howling like wolves by the end of the day 2.gif
    • TrainWreck wrote:

For several years I had terrible pain in the balls of my feet every time I hiked. I had properly fitting boots but by the 2nd or 3rd day out my feet started hurting by lunch time. For the longest time I thought it was just something that everyone experienced. I finally saw a podiatrist who hooked me up with a pair of custom orthotics. He explained that I had really high arches and not much cushioning on the ball of the foot. I haven't really had a problem with foot pain since then, except for Pennsylvania. The rocks there had my dogs howling like wolves by the end of the day 2.gif

I'm glad I saw the words "of my feet" in that opening sentence.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

For several years I had terrible pain in the balls of my feet every time I hiked. I had properly fitting boots but by the 2nd or 3rd day out my feet started hurting by lunch time. For the longest time I thought it was just something that everyone experienced. I finally saw a podiatrist who hooked me up with a pair of custom orthotics. He explained that I had really high arches and not much cushioning on the ball of the foot. I haven't really had a problem with foot pain since then, except for Pennsylvania. The rocks there had my dogs howling like wolves by the end of the day 2.gif

I've got more in my feet than some people have elsewhere gif.013
    • TrainWreck wrote:

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I've got more in my feet than some people have elsewhere gif.013

Stop sharing that pain with us. ;)

Oh! Wait a second. O thought you wrote "are elsewhere". :evil:
    • Love my Happy Feet in Green.... guess I have to try orange.... no wait... camo! :woohoo:

[IMG:http://server-8.carroll.k12.ia.us/~mccaulleykelli/2007-2008%20Webpages/Rotation%204/Stef%20Jorgensen/Norway/Norway%20jenna/HappyFeet.gif]

Attn: Ahhhem Attention!.... there is a loose penguin in the shelter - would the parents please come to the front next to Tater Machine to collect the little lost one....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Love my Happy Feet in Green.... guess I have to try orange.... no wait... camo! :woohoo:

[IMG:http://server-8.carroll.k12.ia.us/~mccaulleykelli/2007-2008%20Webpages/Rotation%204/Stef%20Jorgensen/Norway/Norway%20jenna/HappyFeet.gif]

Attn: Ahhhem Attention!.... there is a loose penguin in the shelter - would the parents please come to the front next to Tater Machine to collect the little lost one....

I think the polar bear is back wanting to claim him but I don't see the resemblance.
    • Re:Orthotics

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well check this out and click activity and see how it changes
      http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals

Yea as soon as I hit field and stream and a few other toggles - Orange Jumped to the top in terms of materials.

the orange ones have a softer foam forefoot. i feel the stiffer sole provides more protection from rocks and roots , and thats part of the key to reducing foot fatigue.
      its all good
    • Re:Orthotics

hikerboy wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Well check this out and click activity and see how it changes
      http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/insoles-and-sandals

Yea as soon as I hit field and stream and a few other toggles - Orange Jumped to the top in terms of materials.

the orange ones have a softer foam forefoot. i feel the stiffer sole provides more protection from rocks and roots , and thats part of the key to reducing foot fatigue.

That is where I am at. I like light weight low top trail runners. The green ones take the abuse that the shoes were not designed to take.