Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thinking ahead, group hike?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thinking ahead, group hike?

Having just gotten back in country, I have no idea when my next vacation will be. Depending on how things go I may get three months notice or they may say, "Hey to keep our rotation straight someone needs to leave in a week."

Whenever that comes about, I wonder if anyone might be interested in planning a hike, be it a group or just two. I'm open to ideas. Obviously this is just feeling out the crowd, rather than saying "Okay how about these dates/this location?" I realize that you may be able to say yes as long as you get X amount of notice to plan/take off work, etc, so if I pop up in a week saying it's vacation time, it may exclude someone who'd otherwise be interested.

The good thing about this is even if I have short notice as to the start of the vacation, I'll have 28 days to do whatever I want. I'd like to get 4 or 5 days out on the trail, maybe even more. If you can only do a weekend, as long as we can coordinate meeting up, I'm good with that. Bottom line is, my ass is getting out in the woods this time, but without a have-to-make-it-X-miles-in-X-days deadline. Personally I'd rather get off a plane, get my gear and car out of storage, and haul butt to the mountains, but I have one other thing that has to take precedence, and I want to knock it out right away when I get home, thus leaving the remaining time to do as I please. Hiking is priority #2 though.

Location doesn't really matter to me but if it's a tough area just know that my fat ass will be making small miles, even though I intend for there to be less of me by the time this happens. Even though I found out I could kick out 10+ mile days fat and out of shape, I don't want to say "Yeah I know I can do 12-13's or something. Biggest thing is I am NOT going to plan something immediately after the trip causing me to have a deadline.

So to sum up, just testing the waters to see if anyone would be up for a weekend or week (or anything between) hike together. A group is fine with me. Most likely within the next 3 months.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Sounds fine to me. Like I said, location isn't as big a deal to me.

Unless it's a hurricane, I won't bail on you this time once we set something up. I'll know my departure date, and won't really have any "gotta do this" stuff prior to.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'd be interested. Maybe Uwharrie which is an easy 42 mile three day hike?

How would you get down there? its 8 hours drive from here, thats one day down and one day back. fly?

Uwharrie national forest is a four hour drive from my house. It's the closest spot I can hike with actual hills and a long enough trail to make a two to three night trip.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Id be into it as well. I have 2 weeks vacation I can play with this year, I already am researching a week in march down in Key West, and was also planning something possibly in May early June on the trail. Was looking to hike and be out there for about 5 nights. Originally was just going to keep hiking NOBO from where I left off at the NY/CT border, but am now open to other ideas and locations. So if anyone honestly is interested le time know! Im also looking to do maybe an over night or 2 night weekend trip in my area in the coming weeks.
      RIAP
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Id be into it as well. I have 2 weeks vacation I can play with this year, I already am researching a week in march down in Key West, and was also planning something possibly in May early June on the trail. Was looking to hike and be out there for about 5 nights. Originally was just going to keep hiking NOBO from where I left off at the NY/CT border, but am now open to other ideas and locations. So if anyone honestly is interested le time know! Im also looking to do maybe an over night or 2 night weekend trip in my area in the coming weeks.

Where are you located?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Id be into it as well. I have 2 weeks vacation I can play with this year, I already am researching a week in march down in Key West, and was also planning something possibly in May early June on the trail. Was looking to hike and be out there for about 5 nights. Originally was just going to keep hiking NOBO from where I left off at the NY/CT border, but am now open to other ideas and locations. So if anyone honestly is interested le time know! Im also looking to do maybe an over night or 2 night weekend trip in my area in the coming weeks.

Where are you located?

Im in NY. Close to a lot of trail heads, closest (15 minutes) to Unionville NY
      RIAP
    • socks wrote:

would love to attend Grinder, but I'm out of commission till further notice.

That's okay, I was an enlisted guy myself. Those commissioned types were too snooty for my blood. :P

OzJacko wrote:

Can't join in but I would be happy to host one if y'all come here.

Mighty kind of you, Oz! If I keep playing in the sandbox long enough, one of these days I plan to get down your way. I'd love to do some hiking upside down!
    • Anyone interested in finishing the Northville-Placid Trail with me come warmer weather? I still have the section (about 57 miles) between Long Lake and Piseco to do. No nice mountaintops unless we do the 3-mile side trail up to the Wakely Mountain fire tower, but a lot of views OF the mountains and lakes.

Like Grinder, I don't like deadlines when I'm on vacation. Don't expect stunning daily mileage from me. Of course, there will be the deadline imposed by a 57-mile food carry. If you don't like that long a section in one go, we can (with planning) break it up. It divides naturally into:

Piseco-Wakely Dam (30 miles, Wakely is 12 miles up a gravel road from Indian Lake. Not a likely hitch but could spot a car there).
      Wakely Dam-Lake Durant (13.5 miles, including a 2.5 mile roadwalk on the gravel road). This section would also include the fire tower side trip.
      Lake Durant-Long Lake (13 miles)

Just thinking. I may sign up with an ADK group outing if there are no takers. Or just solo this part, as I did with the other seventy-odd miles.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.