Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The minimalist approach to food. aka how to almost starve on the trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The minimalist approach to food. aka how to almost starve on the trail

Okay I am going to say a bit about how I eat on the trail.

First I have to clarify that I have a couple of peculiarities.

I was full grown before I felt what I now recognise as hunger pains. Might sound a bit far fetched but my mother used to complain that I had to be woken up to be fed. As a boy I would sometimes get up early on a Sunday and meet my mates and spend the day with them, hanging around while they had lunch and then go home and refuse to eat my dinner. I can assure you that I do now feel hunger, particularly a few weeks into a hike, but I rarely have an acute need to eat to satisfy my hunger. I tend more to recognise my need for food from a feeling of listlessness.

Now for my second peculiarity. I gag on many food types. I have a wide range of foods I won't eat. Eggs, most sea foods,creamy sauces and many other common foods can cause me to "chunder". Needles to say meat from cows do not fit this category, although I dislike rare meat.

So when hiking I find it simple to adopt a minimalist approach to food. I can quite literally hike for 24 hours without eating with no more than a noticeable drop in energy but not with any real discomfort.

As a result my basic diet on trail is ramen noodles or Mountain House type meals.
      Due to expense I tend to carry only one or two dehydrated meals. I am fond of spaghetti bolognaise and usually have one packet of this at the bottom of my food bag. When calculating my food needs for a leg between resupplies I do not count this one packet. It is my "extra" for safety. It is also my meal for when even I am sick of the other options I have on hand.
      With the ramen when in Australia, I also carry a dehydrated bag of mince and another of mixed vegetables. I also try to carry a bit of soy sauce. (I'm fond of soy sauce). When cooking the ramen I add some of the mince and vegetables (one bag of each lasts about 4 to 6 ramen meals) and a swig of soy to give some measure of taste to the mix.
      But this is my staple carry for a succession of days for evening meals.
      To supplement this I generally carry significant quantities of cashews (salted), sultanas (don't know why but ours are much nicer than yours), currants, M&M's and chocolate bars. These constitute my idea of GORP. I also carried numerous SlimJims in the USA. A knob of pepperoni here.
      I like coffee but only with real milk, on the trail I carry chocolate (swiss miss) and cup of soup packets instead except for a bit of coffee for the periods I have milk.
      I do NOT carry powdered or longlife milk. I will leave a resupply with a litre(quart) of real milk for use for the first day or so with coffee and my preferred breakfast - ordinary commercial brand muesli mix. Even in warm weather, my milk bottle wrapped in TP with water poured over it and carried in a plastic bag in my pack's side pocket keeps well enough to be good for 24-48 hours without going off.
      Leaving town I will carry sausages (franks in the USA) and/or a variety of other meats (bacon, steak) to cook that night if I know I have access to a fire or grill.
      I also carry several types of fruit. Mostly mandarins here but apples and oranges more in the USA as your clementines aren't as nice. Bananas are another favourite.
      The look on the faces of ones fellow hikers when you pull two oranges out of your pack 3 days from town is worth the weight you carried.
      I am also fond of bread products. Bread products I find give me a full feeling quicker than most other foods.
      I do not do all of the above at every resupply. What I carry is based on what is available and my whim at the time I shop.

And of course, when in town I gorge on high protein meals.

So while my pack without food is probably down there in those low 20lb type figures that everyone gets so paranoid about, I rarely hike with less than 30lbs. I can quite often leave a town resupply with something approaching 40lbs. If I have an urge for fruit for example, I might have 7 or 8 lbs of it alone. When I have also been known to carry small frozen water bottles wrapped tightly with cola cans to have a cold coke at days end, my "what the hecks" in my pack can add up.

So there. That's what I do. I don't recommend it, but it works for me. I eat what I can get on the way. I don't spend endless hours dehydrating (although Annie is getting into that), I don't have resupply boxes with numerous vacuum sealed bags of strange powders that look like a drugbust display.

And yes, I welcome weight loss as a side benefit of a long hike.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • I hiked Vermont with a guy who was a Macro-whatever.....2 pieces of fruit per day and a bag of seeds 8| His pack was real lite, we walked alot in the spring and summer and I had a larger tarp. John....I lost him once....he passed a relo, couldn't find the lot on the forest road we were on. He wandered around the general area till we rolled up on him @ around 10pm on that forest road.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Astro wrote:

spaghetti bolognaise

That sounds like the name of the Spaghetti and Meat Sauce we used to order at Feleni's, the local Italian restaurant we used to eat at when we lived in Brazil. :)

Bolognese or Bolognaise is going to have pork, veal, beef and carrots with the tomato sauce.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

spaghetti bolognaise

That sounds like the name of the Spaghetti and Meat Sauce we used to order at Feleni's, the local Italian restaurant we used to eat at when we lived in Brazil. :)

Bolognese or Bolognaise is going to have pork, veal, beef and carrots with the tomato sauce.

OzJacko wrote:

I like a strong oregano spicing. Minimal carrots.
      I am a bolonaise snob. Can't even tell you how many restaurants I've ordered the bolonaise...it is a personal favorite that I always have to try at a new place...mmm good stuff.
    • My trips are short weekends...as it were, so my menus are pretty varied and can be afforded as such. I've never experience "hiker hunger" (in fact I've often brought to much food) just not out that long for it to kick in I guess, and dog ass tired at the end of the day that eating is sometimes a chore...Camping weekends are another story, and can be frought with all kinds of goodness, but that's not what this thread is, So...

I like store bought dehydrated meals, and a couple I've experimented with..chilis and Italian meat sauces...red gravy's.
      Ramen
      any pastas
      GORP
      coffee
      real half and half
      oatmeal
      peanut M&M's
      drink mixes like MIO, or powdered Gatorade takes the bad taste outta filtered stream, pond, or lake water...Sprrig water I usually don't add a thing to, and enjoy it immensely.
      beef jerky...o'caorse
      sliced pepperoni and cheeses
      hot peppers...peperoncini's
      tortillos
      bean dip...as a spread
      hot sauce...this I've been foolin' with as I really don't care for the store bought stuff, to much vinagar. although I think taco bells atomic sauce is one of the best.
      bagels

that's about it as far as staples go, I may add to this depending on a whim or what is sold at a resupply...chips or whatever is lookin' good at the time.

...I keep it Pretty simple really, mostly cause I know I'll be tired at the end of the day and don't feel much like cooking, cleaning, just want to sit eat something, chill, and reflect on the day.

oh, and varyous granola type bars, "Kind" Bars are good tasting, but are way to expensive in my book. Natures made "sweet and salty" maple and brown sugar seems to have kept my attention for a while now.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• CoachLou wrote:

I hiked Vermont with a guy who was a Macro-whatever.....2 pieces of fruit per day and a bag of seeds 8| His pack was real lite, we walked alot in the spring and summer and I had a larger tarp. John....I lost him once....he passed a relo, couldn't find the lot on the forest road we were on. He wandered around the general area till we rolled up on him @ around 10pm on that forest road.

No wonder he got lost, his brain probably couldn't function on so few calories.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I am getting better about eating a snack even when I don't want to, especially when I start getting tired. I've seen what a difference it makes. Usually I snack on almonds..sometimes peanut butter M & M's. When I was hiking last week, I got tired around mile 8. I stopped and ate some Sport Beans (glorified Jelly Beans) and almonds and felt a lot better.
      Lost in the right direction.