Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

osprey atmos50

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• osprey atmos50

i had been using an osprey atmos65 for years, and always liked the ventilated back, and the way the frame transferred weight to the hips, as well as accessibility. as ive trimmed down my gear list, i switched to the atmos50 and used it on my hike this past spring, and it still remains my pack of choice. as much as im always looking for a better mousetrap, the pack has everything i need and not much more.

its all good
    • osprey atmos50

the atmos65 and the flycreekul2 were by far, the most popular tents and packs i saw on the trail in the south.the running joke, if you didnt remember a hikers name, was"you know, the skinny guy with the beard?he used sticks, had an osprey pack, big agnes tent?"
      starfail and homebrew, my compadres through tenn., both had b.a. tents and osprey packs.
      its all good
    • osprey atmos50

hikerboy wrote:

the atmos65 and the flycreekul2 were by far, the most popular tents and packs i saw on the trail in the south.the running joke, if you didnt remember a hikers name, was"you know, the skinny guy with the beard?he used sticks, had an osprey pack, big agnes tent?"
      starfail and homebrew, my compadres through tenn., both had b.a. tents and osprey packs.

I may have said...."you know the cutie with the glasses!"
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • osprey atmos50

I got a new pack this year but went in the opposite direction, bigger and heavier.
      I bought a Gregory Baltoro 75. It's huge and weights about 6 pounds. You're probably thinking that I'm just a clueless weekender but I really did have a reason to go in the opposite direction than most people do. You see, my wife and I usually take at least one short winter trip, maybe two. And during those winter trips I carry not 1, not 2, but 3 sleeping bags, 1 for the dog and 2 for me. The 75 liters has the room for that and it's heavy because of all the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt, and back, which makes it quite comfortable
    • osprey atmos50

LIhikers wrote:

I got a new pack this year but went in the opposite direction, bigger and heavier.
      I bought a Gregory Baltoro 75. It's huge and weights about 6 pounds. You're probably thinking that I'm just a clueless weekender but I really did have a reason to go in the opposite direction than most people do. You see, my wife and I usually take at least one short winter trip, maybe two. And during those winter trips I carry not 1, not 2, but 3 sleeping bags, 1 for the dog and 2 for me. The 75 liters has the room for that and it's heavy because of all the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt, and back, which makes it quite comfortable

Before you know it, you might find yourself hiking with Tipi Walter.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • osprey atmos50

LIhikers wrote:

I myself am looking to Mystery Ranch for the winter. My Osprey Kestrel 65 is just too small for my WM Puma, down jacket, tarp....food, galley and a cheesecake.

I end up haveing to add this black sack to carry cold weather gear. The OLD thermarest in the blue bag has been replaced but, the sack is a pain to deal with!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • osprey atmos50

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I myself am looking to Mystery Ranch for the winter. My Osprey Kestrel 65 is just too small for my WM Puma, down jacket, tarp....food, galley and a cheesecake.

I end up haveing to add this black sack to carry cold weather gear. The OLD thermarest in the blue bag has been replaced but, the sack is a pain to deal with!

Holy Shite Coach :ohmy: ... That'll get you a UL hiking misconduct penalty 2.gif ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • osprey atmos50

There is a distributor for Osprey in Australia so we pay our usual too high price for them. Despite that I think I would stay with the ULA packs I have as I love the big back pockets and the hip belt pockets. The Ospreys are much better for back ventilation though.
      For tents very happy with TarpTent range although when I had to buy a replacement went for BA Copper Spur 2, the big brother of Fly Creek. I like the ability to set up inner only freestanding. Sometimes do that here in shelters to keep bug free.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • osprey atmos50

hikerboy wrote:

i had been using an osprey atmos65 for years, and always liked the ventilated back, and the way the frame transferred weight to the hips, as well as accessibility. as ive trimmed down my gear list, i switched to the atmos50 and used it on my hike this past spring, and it still remains my pack of choice. as much as im always looking for a better mousetrap, the pack has everything i need and not much more.

This will likely be my progression as well, love the Osprey Atmos 65, but think I could go smaller for everything but winter. Tried on quite a few packs, and the Atmos 65 was a very comfortable fit for me, as it can be dialed in on the torso length.