Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Voluntary Registration

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• OzJacko wrote:

Big delay in my posts cause I just went for a 4 mile walk with Annie.

Sorry, but walking/hiking do not relieve you of your responsibilities in keeping up with conversations and being a poho. What do you think this place is about? Hiking or something?
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I really don't seriously mean for them to do it as I have no problem with it. But it would remove more of the "problem" hikers than any other suggestion I have seen so far.
      I don't want law enforcement on the trail but the problems on the trail are a reflection of problems in society in general. A sense of entitlement and a "stuff everyone else" attitude.
      That is the problem that needs solving. The trail itself is not affected by increased thru hikers. They are a small % people on the trail. Day and section hikers are more of an issue even in Baxter. It is the BEHAVIOUR of a number of thru hikers that is the real problem, not the numbers.

you're implying the problem is with smoking dope. alcohol is a much bigger issue.

Abuse of both are problems. The key word is abuse. It's not called Dope for nothing.

its not called drunk for nothing either.abuse.yes. a lot more potential for violence with drunks than with potheads.except when the argument over whether crunchy cheetos are better than the regular kind.

I don't like working in the kitchen with pot heads. They are often careless in a potentially dangerous environment.

and so do you figure marijuana impairs judgement more than alcohol?

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

"Studies that do not show impairment:
      Surprisingly,given the alarming results of cognitive studies, most marijuana-intoxicated drivers show only modest impairments on actual
      road tests. Experienced smokers who drive on a set course show almost no functional impairment under the influence of marijuana, except when it is combined with alcohol."

livescience.com/42738-marijuan…cohol-health-effects.html
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I really don't seriously mean for them to do it as I have no problem with it. But it would remove more of the "problem" hikers than any other suggestion I have seen so far.
      I don't want law enforcement on the trail but the problems on the trail are a reflection of problems in society in general. A sense of entitlement and a "stuff everyone else" attitude.
      That is the problem that needs solving. The trail itself is not affected by increased thru hikers. They are a small % people on the trail. Day and section hikers are more of an issue even in Baxter. It is the BEHAVIOUR of a number of thru hikers that is the real problem, not the numbers.

you're implying the problem is with smoking dope. alcohol is a much bigger issue.

Abuse of both are problems. The key word is abuse. It's not called Dope for nothing.

its not called drunk for nothing either.abuse.yes. a lot more potential for violence with drunks than with potheads.except when the argument over whether crunchy cheetos are better than the regular kind.

I don't like working in the kitchen with pot heads. They are often careless in a potentially dangerous environment.

Surprisingly,given the alarming results of cognitive studies, most marijuana-intoxicated drivers show only modest impairments on actual
      road tests. Experienced smokers who drive on a set course show almost no functional impairment under the influence of marijuana, except when it is combined with alcohol."

I'm not implying that. The drunks are evident immediately at the start of shift and can be dealt with immediately. It's difficult to tell the currently high pot head from the high last night pot head. When moving fast while multitasking with either hot pans and/or knives it's important to be aware of your surroundings.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I'm not implying that. The drunks are evident immediately at the start of shift and can be dealt with immediately. It's difficult to tell the currently high pot head from the high last night pot head. When moving fast while multitasking with either hot pans and/or knives it's important to be aware of your surroundings.

regardless of the drug of choice, you just cant cure jackass
      its all good
    • OzJacko wrote:

I wasn't fooled but I did wonder about the post about hippy food :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I thought I was responding to LDog...need more coffee.
    • LDog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hippy Food? You'll have to spur my foggy memory on that. I didn't mention my rice, lentil and quinua in a thai peanut sauce trail recipe did I?

here it is. :)

"Pancakes with mushrooms? That ain't right! Quinoa? Freakin' sun dried maters?! I'm gonna puke! Back in 1976 we hiked the whole freakin' AT eating nuthing but those, big-assed, uh, bun thingies ... Ya know those sticky buns they sell in the gas stations? Texas Cinnamon buns! Yeah man, thats them! We'd stock up at every gas station, and slam a couple of them 400 calorie gut bombs every freakin' morning for 6 months. Back in 1976 ain't nobody made freakin' pancakes 'cept maybe some pansy-ass boy scouts. For lunch we'd eat those, uh, those big orange triangles? Doritos? Yeah Doritos. Those dipped in peanut butter. Every day! And a Snickers before every climb. At night we'd boil up some a those bricks of squiggly Chinese noodle things? Whatever you call em. We ate them every, single, night for 2000 miles! In town we'd pound down cheeseburgers, beer, pizza, milkshakes and beer. Got all the vegtables I needed in town. Ketchups a veggie ain't it? Then we'd get back on the trail and do it all over again. Ain't rocket science dude. Didn't hurt nobody. But I guess we had simpler needs back in 1976.Granola with chia seeds?! Well, you can hike your own hike. And by that I mean get yer hippie ass outta my face!"
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LDog wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hippy Food? You'll have to spur my foggy memory on that. I didn't mention my rice, lentil and quinoa in a thai peanut sauce trail recipe did I?

here it is. :)

(snip) But I guess we had simpler needs back in 1976. Granola with chia seeds?! Well, you can hike your own hike. And by that I mean get yer hippie ass outta my face!"

Oh yeah, that. Also complete BS. I was channeling an alter-ego I compiled from a bunch of old curmudgeons who automatically bad-mouth anything different from what they grew up with. One old fart in particular (he's my age) seemed to start most every Facebook comment with "Back when I hiked the trail in 1976 ... " He spoke up in a thread about smart phones on the AT with "Wait a minute. People are updating Facebook from the trail? I'm gonna puke!" He would no sooner eat quinoa in a peanut sauce than he would give up his leather hiking boots.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• Da Wolf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Australians are also fond of "embellishing" their outdoor experience...
      dailytelegraph.com.au/news/que…ry-fnk1w5xx-1227234320638

;)
      yeah. you had the steve irwin guy. acted like he was effin around by all them deadly snakes. wanker. got kilt by a docile sting ray

Please be aware he was from Queensland.
      My defense of everything Australian stops at the Queensland border.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

;)
      yeah. you had the steve irwin guy. acted like he was effin around by all them deadly snakes. wanker. got kilt by a docile sting ray

Please be aware he was from Queensland.
      My defense of everything Australian stops at the Queensland border.
      ;)

Kind of like New Jersey then? :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Da Wolf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

;)

In defence of the sting ray it was just an accidental stabbing right through Steve's heart.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Most Australians cringe when they hear the word "crikey".
      To me it feels a little sick when I hear the boy say it.
      Blame whoever but he even is always dressed in the "uniform".

Didn't the daughter have a show also?

Yeah she's older and is similar but at least she has good memories of her dad.
      The boy was little more than a toddler when he died.
      They have a "zoo" in Queensland which is very popular with tourists.
      The family are popular in Australia but I think far more popular in the US.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • A new (voluntary) step for thru-hikersby Appalachian Trail Conservancy2013 thru-hikers Ninja, Bluetick, Ado and Smooth celebrate their arrival at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy//Harpers Ferry, West Virginia//Photo courtesy Chris "Smooth" Cage//Text by Anne Baker, marketing assistant

Thru-hiker fever has officially set in. And with the general preparations like gear shakedowns, meal planning, mail drop logistics and (in some cases) quitting your job to hike thousands of miles, there’s another way the class of 2015 is getting ready for a thru-hike: voluntary registration.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) launched its Thru-Hiker Voluntary Registration system this year with the goal of not only better managing the Appalachian Trail (A.T.), but also enhancing the thru-hiker experience. With movies like “Wild” and “A Walk in the Woods” drawing attention to two of America’s national scenic trails, something had to be done to spread out the volume of thru-hikers who hit the A.T. at peak times. This voluntary registration system is one way the ATC hopes to address potential overcrowding, especially at the southern end of the A.T. in March and April

Currently, more than 800 people have registered their thru-hikes through this system, allowing hikers to see how many have plan to start their thru-hike on a particular day and giving them a chance to see when crowded conditions will exist. Prospective thru-hikers can see on what days thru-hikers have registered not only for northbound and southbound thru-hikes, but also for thru-hikes starting in Harpers Ferry or other locations.

This planning feature is especially appealing to hikers like Barbara “Firefly,” who will set out on a thru-hike this year with her 26-year-old son:

“When we started planning, we intentionally looked into the traditionally crowded start days and tried to avoid those as well as avoiding a weekend start. I really think for many people, being able to look and visually see days that are already packed will help future thru-hikers spread themselves out.”

Hiking the A.T. is practically a lifelong dream for Firefly, who began planning her hike when she was 12. Back then, she was using the library and snail mail to gather information while also getting firsthand experience by working on trail crews. Yet it wasn’t until now that she felt like she could to take the amount of time off that’s required for a thru-hike, and when she began planning again, she realized that the A.T.—and the process of planning—had changed.

“I was a bit sad at a lot of the negatives I've heard concerning problems resulting from overcrowding, especially at the both ends of the Trail. As a lifelong dream I couldn't let go of the idea of a traditional thru-hike, even though the cool breeze option looks awesome. The reality is we are approaching our hike with a degree of flexibility, evaluating our progress along the way and if needed changing to an alternative itinerary.”

Firefly’s willingness to embrace an alternative plan if necessary is a sentiment that is growing among potential thru-hikers. It’s good timing, too—as the popularity of long-distance hiking trails increases, the A.T. will benefit from those who recognize that a thru-hike doesn’t have to start at Springer Mountain, or even Katahdin. After all, the journey isn’t so much about the destination, but the process of getting there.

To everyone who has registered their thru-hike, and especially those who made an effort to avoid popular start dates or even selected an alternative starting location, thanks for making the A.T. an incredible hiking and camping experience—and for helping it stay that way.

Have a comment about our voluntary registration system? Email AT-ThruStartDate@appalachiantrail.org
      its all good
    • Updated Chart of Nobos registered

Here is the latest chart of north bounders who have registered:

This version starts with today, since at the moment I'm posting it primarily for thru-hikers who haven't registered yet. And here's a pdf of that chart: appalachiantrail.org/docs/defa…-of-2-28.pdf?sfvrsn=0.The latest we have for other categories is 2-20; both jogs and pdfs are now posted on the thru-hiker voluntary registration page at appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration.
    • LaurieP wrote:

This version starts with today, since at the moment I'm posting it primarily for thru-hikers who haven't registered yet. And here's a pdf of that chart: appalachiantrail.org/docs/defa…-of-2-28.pdf?sfvrsn=0.The latest we have for other categories is 2-20; both jogs and pdfs are now posted on the thru-hiker voluntary registration page at appalachiantrail.org/thruhikeregistration.

its gonna be interesting to see how things develop as the early starters get backed up by the weather. i have a feeling virginia is gonna be really crowded this spring.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LaurieP wrote:

its gonna be interesting to see how things develop as the early starters get backed up by the weather. i have a feeling virginia is gonna be really crowded this spring.

Wonder if some might still be around when I hit Glasgow at the end of June.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • hikerboy wrote:

LaurieP wrote:

How true.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC