Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Voluntary Registration

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Voluntary Registration

The ATC has set up an online, voluntary, thru-hike registration form that seems to be designed to meter the number of starters per day. From their FAQ page

Thru-hikers themselves can now help even out the flow of hikers to better seek the “fellowship with the wilderness” for which the A.T. is famous. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) views voluntary registration as a way to enhance your A.T. experience and better manage this natural resource – without additional regulations.

There's a thread on it over at tos with a few comments from ATC. It's had technical challenges, but apparently works for those of us not using macs ...

appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-hike-registration :/
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15

The post was edited 1 time, last by LDog ().

• hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

"The calendar on this screen provides only a preview of what dates are filled to capacity"

What does that mean?

it means itll show you when its crowded

When do they use the reservation software they bought for restricting the use of the start dates? I'm sorry but purchasing software without the intention of using it is fishy.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • "NOTE: This 2015 A.T. Thru-Hike Registration is a pilot process for the expected 2016 significant increase in use. We want the 2016 process to work very well. So PLEASE provide us feedback on using this process and actual results along the A.T. We WILL pay attention to your comments to make this voluntary system as simple and effective as possible."

This looks like code speak for a quota system that is coming in 2016
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • In the mission statement the ATC has found a need...

OUR MISSIONThe Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s mission is to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail – ensuring that its vast natural beauty and priceless cultural heritage can be shared and enjoyed today, tomorrow, and for centuries to come. OUR VISIONThe Appalachian Trail Conservancy’s vision is to connect the human spirit with nature – preserving the delicate majesty of the Trail as a haven for all to enjoy. We are committed to nurture and protect this sacred space through education and inspiration. We strive to create an ever-expanding community of doers and dreamers, and work to ensure that tomorrow’s generations will experience the same mesmerizing beauty we behold today.OUR VALUESThe Appalachian Trail Conservancy is guided by a set of core values that represent the organization’s commitment to preserve and manage the Appalachian Trail. We pursue our mission and vision by our dedication to:Volunteerism and Community Support: We exist through the generosity, talents, and support of our members, supporters, and our volunteers: the very soul of the Trail. Spirit of Cooperation: We cherish our partnerships with agencies, communities, clubs, volunteers, students, and citizens. We collaborate to achieve a common goal.
      Sustainability: We seek to minimize our impact on the environment and incorporate the ideals of sustainability in our everyday operations. Integrity: We act honorably in accordance with the highest standards of personal and professional conduct. We always hold ourselves responsible to fulfill our mission to the public.
      Passion for Excellence: We are determined to be the best at what we do as individuals and as an organization. We are passionate about our work and strive for excellence.
      Creativity & Innovation: We recognize the importance of innovation. We work hard to improve and become more effective in all of our endeavors.Empowerment: We strive to empower staff and volunteers to achieve personal and professional fulfillment in their lives.Health and Safety: We apply the highest standards of health and safety to our work practices. We expect our partners to do the same. Enjoyment: We value our work as a source of enjoyment and satisfaction. We are proud of the Trail and the growing A.T. community.
      Diversity: We are committed to supporting and sustaining a diverse organization that is fair, inclusive, and respectful.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

The ATC is working to encourage alternative hikes to the typical NOBO. This year they are having special FlipFlop Kickoff May2 & a kickoff breakfast May 3. I will be there.

appalachiantrail.org/who-we-ar…lendar/flip-flop-kick-off

To me the "cool breeze" method from the website seems like the ideal way to go. You're getting the best chance for the best weather from all three regions.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

The ATC is working to encourage alternative hikes to the typical NOBO. This year they are having special FlipFlop Kickoff May2 & a kickoff breakfast May 3. I will be there.

appalachiantrail.org/who-we-ar…lendar/flip-flop-kick-off

To me the "cool breeze" method from the website seems like the ideal way to go. You're getting the best chance for the best weather from all three regions.

Forgot - along with cutting down on the impact of the crowded bubble. But, the weather would be the main deal. Your taking 6 months to do something you've been dreaming about, why not increase your chances of comfort.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Biggest issue I have with all the variations on a thruhike is not finishing on Katahdin. Reaching Springer from the north or Harpers Ferry does not have the "I've done it!" feel of Katahdin.

That is a big thing. Then you are going to have all the purist downplaying your thru as not being
      "real".
    • OzJacko wrote:

Biggest issue I have with all the variations on a thruhike is not finishing on Katahdin. Reaching Springer from the north or Harpers Ferry does not have the "I've done it!" feel of Katahdin.

Finishing on Katahdin may become a thing of the past if the hiking community doesn't figure out a way to reduce impact on Baxter.
      -
      L.Dog
    • LDog wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Finishing on Katahdin may become a thing of the past if the hiking community doesn't figure out a way to reduce impact on Baxter.

I guess I better hurry and finish my section hike before they close it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LDog wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Clearly all of this is the beginning of the response to Baxter's recent complaints to the ATC.
      I would think that while it will be difficult for the ATC to actually restrict numbers at Springer it would be relatively easy for Baxter to refuse "thruhiker privileges" to people not registered with ATC as starters at Springer. No w I will put my crystal ball away.....
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Hey Guys,

Glad to be able to join the conversation here. I'm an ATC staff member who's on the team that has developed the A.T. Voluntary Thru-Hike Registration. The registration is just one of several strategies that ATC's "Walk in the Woods Mitigation Task Force" is pursuing in advance of the movie that will show in theaters later this year. We started our work last fall, after Ron Tipton (ATC's executive director, GA-ME '78) led a panel discussion "The Future of the A.T." at the Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association (ALDHA) annual Gathering.

We have a variety of strategies, but the two main ones will be trying to get thru-hikers to spread out, voluntarily (primarily through registration, but also by promoting non-traditional thru-hike itineraries), and providing Leave No Trace education so hikers can be better stewards of the land they are hiking through.

As all of you know, the A.T. has become increasingly crowded during thru-hiker season. The clustering of thru-hikers into bubbles, especially in the South, but even on Katahdin, has caused damage to the physical resources of the Trail corridor, impacted the experience of other hikers, and alarmed some of the land-managing agencies that have oversight responsibilities for certain parts of the Trail. It's not necessarily that there are too many hikers, or that hikers are intentionally doing anything wrong, it's just that too many people are clumped together who often are oblivious of their impacts to campsites, flora and fauna, water quality, and other trail users.

In addition, many thru-hikers have little or no backpacking of Leave No Trace experience or training when they start. In the course of a 6-month thru-hike, most thru-hikers get no real training in Leave No Trace practices and ethics either. (Kind of weird, when you think in other heavily used backcountry areas there are strict requirements for some sort of orientation for trips measured in days). Fortunately, most thru-hikers quickly learn quite a few good low-impact habits early on in their hike. Most are very considerate, thoughtful people, who are grateful for even the smallest kindness. Unfortunately, at the end of their hike, they may still be building large campfires, traveling in large groups, stealth camping in sensitive areas, and flouting regulations that were designed to protect the A.T. and the lands around it. In fact, the majority of these public lands were designed for uses beyond just A.T. hikers. Because there are so many thru-hikers that travel in groups and become so tightly bonded, the practices they've developed together (Leave-No-Trace-aware or not) become part of the culture, and the accepted practices of their tribe often trump local regulations (or best Leave No Trace practices).

Some of our efforts in the coming years will be focused on better and earlier Leave No Trace education, but education programs take time to develop. This year ATC was just certified for Leave No Trace Inc. to teach Leave No Trace master educator courses. While we will be having more ridgerunners on the Trail this year, including ATC-trained volunteer ridgerunners for the first time, we won't be able to reach a lot of people on the ground. Another team is working on a series of Leave No Trace videos that should be available later this year. We do currently have a Leave No Trace section of our website at www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt.

This year we are piloting a voluntary thru-hiker registration as one of our main strategies, in hopes that we can spread out thru-hikers. It's not a panacea. We'll be the first to acknowledge the system we've chosen has major flaws. It was picked by trail managers, not marketers or IT experts. These are people that that have built, maintained, and protected incredibly well-constructed sections of primitive footpath through some of the most beautiful places on earth. Most of them are used to working with pulaskis, rock bars, and chainsaws, or they've developed policy or learned to build relationships with stakeholders to solve problems or speak eloquently in defense of protecting land. Reservation software is just not the specialty of this group. We made lots of mistakes as we were developing this system, but we are working as hard and as fast as we can with the tools we have to get this right and learn and adapt as we go forward.

The irony here is that in today's world you need sophisticated technology and savvy marketing to protect and manage this simple and primitive footpath that we all love. We will continue to make some small tweaks to the imperfect system we have this year. We will work more closely with our marketing folks and other experts when we design the system for the next season (2016). In a month or two we will know much better what we will need to be prepared for 2016 and 2017, when the numbers will be even higher.

So, please bear with us. We are trying to find the best path forward in managing and preserving the A.T. It's a course somewhere between doing nothing (and letting overcrowding and uninformed hikers degrade the trail) and trying to strictly control behavior.

The voluntary registration has been live on our website for about a week. We said in A.T. Journeys (ATC's member magazine) that it would be out in January, so tried to get it up as soon after the end of the month as possible. So it's been there for people who were looking for it, or are starting their thru-hikes early. But, since it since has some shortcomings, we haven't been promoting it. We're fine-tuning it as much as we can within the limits of the software, considering all feedback that has been coming our way. We'll publicize it more in the next week or so.

Those confusing pop-up bubbles when you click on a date on the landing page? They annoy us too. They weren't there when we first rolled out the site, and we didn't request them. We're going to try to make them go away.

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome.

If you'd like to take the voluntary registration system for a test drive (whether you are thru-hiking this year or not) to give us some constructive feedback, feel free. Just use the last name of "TEST" (all caps) when you register, and preferably a real email that you can check to review the email confirmation.

Thank you all for your passion for the A.T., in all the different ways you express it.

Laurie Potteiger
      Appalachian Trail Conservancy
    • We're glad you stopped in and posted this LaurieP. We're not the biggest group of hiking enthusiasts (yet) and we can be a little silly at times but our passion and love for the trail runs as deep as any. I truly hope for the best with what y'all at the ATC are trying to accomplish. Thank you for your effort.
    • In the interest of LNT and reduction of issues such as giardia and norovirus it would be nice if the ATC could also put more resources into such things as provision of privies. The "lily fields" of the GSMNP are a blight on the trail.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • LaurieP wrote:

So, please bear with us. We are trying to find the best path forward in managing and preserving the A.T. It's a course somewhere between doing nothing (and letting overcrowding and uninformed hikers degrade the trail) and trying to strictly control behavior.

Thanks Laurie for making your way over here and offering that excellent, detailed explanation! Gotta love a "Walk in the Woods Mitigation Task Force!"
      -
      L.Dog
    • OzJacko wrote:

Maybe they agree with the view expressed on tos and want to restrict foreigners.

Sounds good. Can't have you dang furriners coming here and showing more respect for our country than our own people do! It'll ruin our excuse for our xenophobia.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Maybe they agree with the view expressed on tos and want to restrict foreigners.

Sounds good. Can't have you dang furriners coming here and showing more respect for our country than our own people do! It'll ruin our excuse for our xenophobia.

That logic almost makes sense
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Grinder wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

but that's the American way, ignant, indignant and don't care.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Socks ().

• socks wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Grinder wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

but that's the American way, ignant, indignant and don't care.

Come on now, Socks. It's "Murrican."
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee