Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Surprisingly salty foods

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Surprisingly salty foods

Surprisingly salty foods

You already know snack foods like chips, crackers, and pretzels pack a lot of salt. But even if you don't eat those, you may be on a high-sodium diet without realizing it. Many foods you wouldn't expect are swimming in salt, including bagels, cereals, and even cottage cheese. Most people should stick to less than 2,300 mg of sodium per day (those with high blood pressure should limit it 1,500 mg).It's no surprise that marinades and salad dressings contain salt, since they taste salty. But it may shock you just how much they have. A two-tablespoon serving of salad dressing or barbecue sauce may pack 300 mg of sodium (10 to 15% of your day's quota)—and you often use two servings or more on your food. Same with marinades, which can pack nearly a fifth of your limit in just one tablespoon, which isn't even enough to cover one chicken breast. Control sodium by making these marinade recipes and salad dressing recipes at home.

Cottage cheese is a good source of calcium and protein. Low-fat cottage cheese packs a whopping 28 grams of protein for only 160 calories. The catch: a one-cup serving can contain almost 1,000 mg of sodium—about 40% of what you're supposed to have in an entire day. Look for no-salt-added cottage cheese. Greek yogurt, which contains just 60 mg of sodium per serving, is a worthy high-protein substitute.

Cereals, Bagels, and Donuts can be healthy way to start your day—or a salty one. Many cereals have 180 to 300 mg of sodium per serving—up to 12% of what you should consume in a whole day—and that's if you only pour one serving in your bowl. Better bet: stick with plain oatmeal topped with fruit.

You know that packaged cakes and doughnuts are packed with sugar and carbs, but they're also salty. One Entenmann's crumb doughnut, for example, supplies you with over 200 mg of sodium (about 10% of your day's limit). Packaged baked goods rely on sodium as a preservative in addition to any salt used during baking.

A bowl of hot soup makes a filling, healthy lunch. What's shocking is just how much salt most soups contain, especially the canned soups on supermarket shelves. Though a bowl might be less than 300 calories, a serving can contain half of your sodium limit for the day.When it comes to canned soup, buy low-salt versions whenever possible. After years of eating super-salty soup, you may think it tastes bland. Dress it up with freshly cracked pepper, fresh herbs, or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. You can also add a few shakes of salt yourself—you'll never add more than food companies would.

When you see "reduced sodium" on a food label, you may think you're being served up a lot less salt. However, this FDA-regulated term means that a food has only 25% less sodium than the original product. So for a frozen meal that contains 1,000 mg of sodium, the reduced-sodium version would have 750 mg—still high. Reduced-sodium options can be a smart choice if you're slowly trying to cut back on salt, but if you're watching your sodium closely, better labels to look for are "low sodium" (with 140 mg of sodium or less per serving) and "very low sodium" (35 mg of sodium or less).

Some soy and veggie burgers are made with a long list of highly processed ingredients and use salt to enhance the flavor. Patties can pack 400 to 500 mg, and that's before the bun, condiments, and cheese.Per cup, pre-sauced frozen vegetable mixes can add nearly 500 mg of sodium to your meal, particularly if you choose cheesy sauces. Skip these and go for plain frozen vegetables, like bags of peas, onions, corn, and spinach. Frozen veggies are just as healthy as fresh, and often more so. Freezing produce shortly after harvest preserves nutrients, whereas fresh produce often loses some nutrients during shipping and storage.

Mac & Cheese a preferred meal for most backpackers is a whopper of sodium at 20% or 480mg per servings which is two per box. The salt appears in the elbows and the sauce. Calories 250.

Ramen Noodle Soup. Cheap but loaded with Salt each packet is two servings Sodium 790 mg or 33% Some of us divide the flavor packet in half but its still some 400mg, and way too high.

Seasoned Beef Crumbles 255mg if divided into two meals 170mg if divided into three or 7%

Rissotto packets - 600mg or 25% and way too high.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• hikerboy wrote:

its not too much concern for long distance, as your body sweats out a lot of salt.
      almost any prepackaged meal is high in sodium.

Well I don't enough... hence my problem. I didn't want to give up on Jerky - that was the modivation to learn how to make it myself - have a small amount of healthy salt and still enjoy the trail.
    • Rasty wrote:

You would be amazed how much salt is in restaurant food.

A sure way to kill the sales of a menu item is to make it healthy

I became aware with this thru restaurant disaster shows - One poor owner Leon insisted that his clients will season it themselves. His clients were running for the door! And the location was 100k+ in the hole.

Here is the video Yes I used to go to this dump
      foodnetwork.com/videos/saving-…s-sports-bar-0181649.html
    • I love salt. Eat far too much of it. Always have. Now that I am not supposed to let my blood pressure get high I just eat the normal high volume common in our modern diet instead of my ultra high diet of old.
      If you can't do what you want you're not really living anyway.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • OzJacko wrote:

I love salt. Eat far too much of it. Always have. Now that I am not supposed to let my blood pressure get high I just eat the normal high volume common in our modern diet instead of my ultra high diet of old.
      If you can't do what you want you're not really living anyway.

Good evening OZ - you are up late. I have been struggling with salt some ten years. Some dishes were so bad at resturants - I have to admit sending them back!
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

For people with high blood pressure, losing weight and exercising regularly will help immensely, and in many cases reduce the need to micro-manage sodium intake.

Actually I have to do all three. This was to have a discussion about what we take on the trail for food is almost toxic.

i just can't seem to stay on topic on your threads, sorry WOO. :D
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Rasty wrote:

When Ov and I were dating....we ate out all the time. We went to this one small place around the corner from where we now live. Interesting menu, nice and clean. EVERYTHING had twice as much salt as what OZ likes...............we have not been back.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

When Ov and I were dating....we ate out all the time. We went to this one small place around the corner from where we now live. Interesting menu, nice and clean. EVERYTHING had twice as much salt as what OZ likes...............we have not been back.

My average customer is old or older. We are as low sodium as we can be and still be able to sell items.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • LIhikers wrote:

So, my question is, why is there so much salt in so much of our food?
      If it's unhealthy is there some legitimate reason for adding it?

A few years ago I called a company directly to discover the answer to that question. The spokesperson said their dinners required that amount to fulfill a mandated salt intake government regulation... I still don't believe it.

I just prepared the Allessi Risotto into a FBC taking the packet removing two teaspoons of the dried flavoring and preparing half the Risotto - I got the salt way down, sieving or staining out the powder appears to be a waste of time - its easier to remove when its clumped in the corner. Going forward I will make the FBC's from bulk boxes - the sodium is zero
    • muddywaters wrote:

Salt isnt unhealthy. Being overweight and having arteries clogged up is.

Two unrelated things imo.

Fix the second one, ignore the first.

Well I will have to get back to you on that....it was the one of the issues presented when attempting or progressing in weight loss. The LA Weight loss diet almost always uses Morton Lite.

Scientific American"For every study that suggests that salt is unhealthy, another does not."
      CLICK HERE

I would guess that everything should be in moderation... Water is safe in moderation, too much is Hydrolysis- yes you can drink too much and kill yourself.

CLICK HERE
    • TrafficJam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Historically, salt was an important means of getting iodine to the public (and still is in some third world countries) and for food preservation.

And it makes the food taste so much better too! :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Lenny and Joe's fish tale?
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • LIhikers wrote:

A better question is: Where is the research showing that salt is unhealthy in the quantites that most people eat? Because I've looked and I can't find them:
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

[IMG:https://31.media.tumblr.com/db56d0d8988d809b5d07e2af168f91a7/tumblr_inline_nedyhwVY9X1qzoviz.gif]
      Outstanding... found the highest inedible product on the planet!

190 per serving each packet is three servings.... sodium 950mg 40% $1 each and

Yea I can sive the salt out. - total waste of time.

I buy those occasionally...I guess I won't any more. :(
      Lost in the right direction.
    • salt
      If you want an interesting read - it really is a good book. The saying "He's worth his weight in salt" - Roman soldiers were paid in salt. Salt is absolutely necessary to sustain human life. You hear of babies in swimming pools ( or kids in frat house hazing) drinking too much water and dying from a low salt content in their bodies. The more you sweat while hiking, the more salt you need to eat.