Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

guided at hikes whaddya think?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Da Wolf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Doyle's hikes strike me as totally bereft of enjoyment.

the average thru-hiker's hike is bereft of enjoyment in my eyes. always thinkin' about the goal and mileage. push, push, push

A few years back I was at NY's Bear Mountain State Park.
      Some thru hikers, me, and my wife Kathy were sharing a picnic table to eat lunch at.
      I asked the Thru sitting across from me if he was having fun.
      He said no.
      So then I asked if he was enjoying himself.
      He said no.
      Lastley I asked if he was glad that he was doing the hike.
      He said he wouldn't know until after he finished.
      I changed the subject.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Da Wolf wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Doyle's hikes strike me as totally bereft of enjoyment.

the average thru-hiker's hike is bereft of enjoyment in my eyes. always thinkin' about the goal and mileage. push, push, push

A few years back I was at NY's Bear Mountain State Park.
      Some thru hikers, me, and my wife Kathy were sharing a picnic table to eat lunch at.
      I asked the Thru sitting across from me if he was having fun.
      He said no.
      So then I asked if he was enjoying himself.
      He said no.
      Lastley I asked if he was glad that he was doing the hike.
      He said he wouldn't know until after he finished.
      I changed the subject.

when i met "don's brother" he was hiking the trail in honor of his deceased brother, and kept a trail journal that indicated he was getting no pleasure from the hike, simply doing it to honor his brother. i spoke to him a few weeks after he finished, and he told me he couldnt believe how much he missed life on the trail, what a wonderful experience it was.
      its all good
    • I agree you don't need a guide for the AT but I would hike with a guide in other places.

The biggest jerk I've ever met on the trail was an REI guide. It was my first, solo, backpacking trip and I planned to sleep at a shelter...I didn't have a tent yet. I stupidly thought I would have the shelter to myself. I walked up and when he realized I was alone, he told me he was going to string me up. Later on, some clueless 18 yr old, college kids showed up and wanted to sleep in their tent. He talked to them like dirt and made them sleep in the shelter.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I agree you don't need a guide for the AT but I would hike with a guide in other places.

The biggest jerk I've ever met on the trail was an REI guide. It was my first, solo, backpacking trip and I planned to sleep at a shelter...I didn't have a tent yet. I stupidly thought I would have the shelter to myself. I walked up and when he realized I was alone, he told me he was going to string me up. Later on, some clueless 18 yr old, college kids showed up and wanted to sleep in their tent. He talked to them like dirt and made them sleep in the shelter.
      I'd have loved to meet this individual.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I agree you don't need a guide for the AT but I would hike with a guide in other places.

Was he actually
      guiding anyone at the time? I hope you at least considered letting REI know about the incident.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Was he actually
      guiding anyone at the time? I hope you at least considered letting REI know about the incident.

Yes, he was with a group. REI offers a guided trip in the Smokies. I looked at their website and found out his name but couldn't bring myself to complain. I didn't want to get him fired.
    • From my experiences and observations, when in comes to interacting with women, there's two groups of people on the trail. The ones who rather forcefully give you their opinion and make you feel like a fool, and the ones who are afraid to offer any advice because they're afraid you'll bite their heads off. It's frustrating sometimes.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Was he actually

Yes, he was with a group. REI offers a guided trip in the Smokies. I looked at their website and found out his name but couldn't bring myself to complain. I didn't want to get him fired.
      Okay, being in the Smokies explains the tent bit with the college kids, but what do you mean he said he was going to string you up?

FWIW, if I ever pay for a guided trip only to find the guide being abusive to other hikers there will be problems; words will be had face to face and I would let his company know of the guide's lack of professionalism as soon as I got back.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Was he actually

Okay, being in the Smokies explains the tent bit with the college kids, but what do you mean he said he was going to string you up?

FWIW, if I ever pay for a guided trip only to find the guide being abusive to other hikers there will be problems; words will be had face to face and I would let his company know of the guide's lack of professionalism as soon as I got back.

He said, "I'm going to string you up." I assume he meant from a tree.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Was he actually

What the heck prompted him to say that?
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Was he actually

What the heck prompted him to say that?

Ego
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • socks wrote:

I'd have definitely pulled a recon on his shoelaces.

We had one real jerk on the Camino. As proof you shouldn't piss off a girl, on the way out in the morning (it was a hostel) Annie neatly put his water bottle upside down on the top of his pack with the lid loose.....
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • socks wrote:

That's still one of my favorite scenes from Bryson's book. I hope that it made it into the movie.

TrafficJam wrote:

He didn't think I should be hiking alone. He was just a dumbass. I figure dumbasses eventually get what they deserve. And now I have a tent and don't have to sleep next to a dumbass unless I want to. :)
      Ah, so just a run of the mill jackwagon that happened to get a gig as a guide. Sadly, this isn't the forst negative story I've heard about REI guides on the A.T., I really hope that these situations are the exception and not the norm.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

socks wrote:

That's still one of my favorite scenes from Bryson's book. I hope that it made it into the movie.

TrafficJam wrote:

He didn't think I should be hiking alone. He was just a dumbass. I figure dumbasses eventually get what they deserve. And now I have a tent and don't have to sleep next to a dumbass unless I want to. :)
      Ah, so just a run of the mill jackwagon that happened to get a gig as a guide. Sadly, this isn't the forst negative story I've heard about REI guides on the A.T., I really hope that these situations are the exception and not the norm.
      oh it just has to make the movie, otherwise what's the point, it's classic katz
    • I just got to this thread........so I guess i have everyones' thoughts fresh.

We forget.....most of us have made it to this place after long runs through the woods.
      I have customers that I think smash their cars so they can come in to hear my wholly tales of trudging thru the wilderness of Orange and Putnam County, New York.

As I've said, ad nauseum, i vacation regularly in Montana and The Virgin Islands. I want to tour the islands with a kayak, camping and hosteling and cabbanaing........Arawak Tours has many different programs available. I I also want to get into the Chinese Wall in The Bob Marshall Wilderness....four days in and four days out...........deep in Grizzly country. My pal out there and I have talked about it for years. We will horse pack it, he does not own horses. Ov has not been out there yet, my pal can not backpack like that anymore, so we will get a tour through one of the MAAAAAANY cowboys out there. I know how to camp....but I have none of that gear and NO experience with horses...............I have canoeing merit badge, but not in the open ocean for days at a time.

................but, someone gave me a great Idea for a summer of retirement(hah).
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by CoachLou ().

• CoachLou wrote:

I just got to this thread........so I guess i have everyones' thoughts fresh.

We forget.....most of us have made it to this place after long runs through the woods.
      I have customers that I think smash their cars so they can come in to hear my wholly tales of trudging thru the wilderness of Orange and Putnam County, New York.

As I've said, ad nauseum, i vacation regurely in Montana and The Virgin Islands. I want to tour the islands with a kayak, camping and hosteling and cabbanaing........Arawak Tours has many different programs available. I I also want to get into the Chinese Wall in The Bob Marshall Wilderness....four days in and four days out...........deep in Grizzly country. My pal out there and I have talked about it for years. We will horse pack it, he does not own horses. Ov has not been out there yet, my pal can not backpack like that anymore, so we will get a tour through one of the MAAAAAANY cowboys out there. I know how to camp....but I have none of that gear and NO experience with horses...............I have canoeing merit badge, but not in the open ocean for days at a time.

................but, someone gave me a great Idea for a summer of retirement(hah).

Wilderness in Putnam county?
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

As I've said, ad nauseum, i vacation regurely in Montana and The Virgin Islands. I want to tour the islands with a kayak, camping and hosteling and cabbanaing........Arawak Tours has many different programs available. I I also want to get into the Chinese Wall in The Bob Marshall Wilderness....four days in and four days out...........deep in Grizzly country. My pal out there and I have talked about it for years. We will horse pack it, he does not own horses. Ov has not been out there yet, my pal can not backpack like that anymore, so we will get a tour through one of the MAAAAAANY cowboys out there. I know how to camp....but I have none of that gear and NO experience with horses...............I have canoeing merit badge, but not in the open ocean for days at a time.

That is eggsactly my point
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

That is eggsactly my point

In Putnam walk 1 mile in any direction and hit a road or powerline trail. I used to hike from my house in Brewster off trail to Carmel at 11 and 12 years old. As long as my dog was with me my parents couldn't care less.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123