Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

trail runners vs boots

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• trail runners vs boots

I wear the Keen Siskiu (sp). To be honest Im not sure if these are considered trail runners or boots but they are by far the most comfortable shoe/boot I have ever worn. Even went out and bought three more pair and put them away for the future, fearing Keen may stop production of them.
      RIAP
    • trail runners vs boots

brooks cascadia for 3 seasons for several years now. new balance minimus winter. my son and his girl friend just picked up a pair of solomon trail runners at Salvation Army for me. they feel pretty good too. I just looked at my feet to see if i had them on so i could tell what model they were. nope.

I would be interested in knowing of a traditional heel-height trail runner that weighed closer to 1 1/2 pounds than 2. I'm ok with the 0 heel lift thing in the winter when i have a lot of sock thickness. that just doesn't work for my achilles tendon when wearing a thinner sock.

anybody got any suggestions?

wow, this is like a real gear freak thread!
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!
    • trail runners vs boots

I am heavy for my height, so I made the switch from trail runners, and now wear my Oboz Yellowstone II's on every trip...I know purists don't like gore-tex, but I only go on 2 night trips, and the waterproofing of these boots has allowed me to go to Dolly Sods and not get my feet soaked...love the stability in the ankle area as well.
      First Law of Physics for Backpackers: What goes down must come up.
    • trail runners vs boots

Winter - Merrell Norsehund Beta Mid - Very nice snow boots for mixed conditions. Warm and comfortable for 20 miles per day

Summer - Merrell Ventilators Low - Non Waterproof model - I like them but got 800 miles out of them

Santa Might Bring Me - Merrell Mix Master Tuff Trail Running Shoes (I will let you know what they are like)
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • trail runners vs boots

I gave trail runners a try but found I needed more ankle support. Have been wearing Vasque Breeze for about 4 years. I have over 1500 miles on the first pair and the uppers are just starting to come apart. Soles still have some tread left. I have two more pair already broken in for backup.

Only problem I have had with them is that they don't make a wide in a 14 so I have to use stretchers and spread the toe box overnight.
    • trail runners vs boots

I am so lost on this one. I hate boots. I can't wear high anything. Most of my hiking in the past has been in sandals. I walked across Maine in cheap New Balance MT610's. Great grip, lightweight, but don't hold up. I will be wearing them in NH next year too. I know that I can find better. I just haven't found that better shoe yet. Everything I try is too restrictive. I like my feet to move around. If I could go barefoot, I would.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • trail runners vs boots

Vasque Velocity non-gortex. I think these are slowly being replaced by the Velocity 2.0 which I haven't tried. I have been using the originals for years. I can take them right out of the box and put on any amount of miles with no issues worn with Darn Tough socks, or Smart Wool or WigWam - doesn't matter.
      http://www.amazon.com/Vasque-Velocity-Trail-Running-Shark/dp/B000YHS3WG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1387563445&sr=8-6&keywords=vasque+velocity
      The non-gortex are getting harder and harder to find. I am wearing a pair daily for running around with a pair just broken in with only about 300 miles on them and a brand new pair in waiting. Will be trying the 2.0's after these are gone.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • trail runners vs boots

Started out with hiking boots, switched to Merrel Chameleon, and now this summer used New Balance Trail Runners (did not like how I wore out material inside of big toe after not much more than 400 miles).

In October I stopped in at Outdoor 76 wanting to try on a pair of Brooks Cacadia's (guy I work with runs 100 miles trails with them). After an hour with the guy there (he really seemed to enjoy talking about shoes, had me try on at least 8 pairs) he told me what I needed was the Salomon XR Shift Trail Running Shoe. I thanked him for his time, I really was just wanting to see what the Cacadia's felt like. Once back home I saw XR Shift 's on Amazon for 50% off, so I bought a pair.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • trail runners vs boots

1azarus wrote:

brooks cascadia for 3 seasons for several years now. new balance minimus winter. my son and his girl friend just picked up a pair of solomon trail runners at Salvation Army for me. they feel pretty good too. I just looked at my feet to see if i had them on so i could tell what model they were. nope.

I would be interested in knowing of a traditional heel-height trail runner that weighed closer to 1 1/2 pounds than 2. I'm ok with the 0 heel lift thing in the winter when i have a lot of sock thickness. that just doesn't work for my achilles tendon when wearing a thinner sock.

anybody got any suggestions?

wow, this is like a real gear freak thread!
      lasportiva ultra raptors weigh 12oz each
      its all good
    • trail runners vs boots

Theses are on sale now, and at a pretty good price too...these shoes have a rock plate in the forefoot, really saves the metatarsals.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brooks-cascadia-7-trail-running-shoes-for-men~p~6059y/?filterString=s~brooks-cascadia%2F&colorFamily=03

and if you put in the promo code they provide, you get an additional 20% off...that about $63 bucks a pair....Score!
    • trail runners vs boots

For all off trail hiking I use Vasque Sundowners AT.
      all of last year I hiked in Keen Newport Sandles.
      At the beginning of winter I bought some New Balance 810v3.

For hikes 12 miles per day and under I'll wear the Keens. Anything over that and I'll wear the NB. ..
      In a little over two months I'll brake the Vasque out for mushroom hunting. I have to have a boot for going off trail.
    • trail runners vs boots

Still a big fan of Altra's- Lone Peak or Torin for extra cush, contemplating the superior for training.
      Currently use Merrell Bare Access for training or hikes under 15 miles.
      Hit up the merrell outlets- many around. They have Mix masters (4mm heel) for $40.

Astro- those were the NB that Matt Kirk wore.

1azarus- tendon issue sounds more like bad shoe- especially if you wear zeros in the winter. Zero drop tends to be kinder on the feet. But as HB said- lots of trail runners with 4-12 mm of heel out there, hit up a running store and get yourself fitted. Brooks, sportiva, and many other good shoes around 12 oz a pair.
      Lace lock your shoes too and you will find less heel slip if that is the culprit.

Only real issue with minimalist shoes I've found is lifespan, the trick parts of the trail can chew them up in 250 miles, a good pair is 500 miles- real world consensus seems to be 350-450 miles.
    • trail runners vs boots

Yesterday I tried hiking in my running shoes. I wanted to see how I liked it before investing in trail runners. I was impressed. They were so light, I picked my feet up rather than dragging them and had less rock kicking/toe stubbing incidents. Instead of my usual clumsiness, rock hopping over streams seemed effortless. I also didn't notice a lack of ankle support, one thing that had worried me. I had a 5 mi descent and wasn't without pain, but it wasn't bad. When I got home, I poured a lot of debris out of my shoes so I see why Dirty Girl Gaiters are popular,
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: trail runners vs boots

Rasty wrote:

Winter - Merrell Norsehund Beta Mid - Very nice snow boots for mixed conditions. Warm and comfortable for 20 miles per day

Summer - Merrell Ventilators Low - Non Waterproof model - I like them but got 800 miles out of them

Santa Might Bring Me - Merrell Mix Master Tuff Trail Running Shoes (I will let you know what they are like)

Santa did bring me the Mix Master shoes. I've walked maybe 50 miles and I like them. Lighter then the ventilators.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: trail runners vs boots

I wear Merrells mostly.
      Like the Interceptor but I think it's discontinued. Moabs easiest to get. Have some Merrell mesh shoes (Mix Master?) that I have mostly worn out but they aren't strong although intend to get more (Tip - don't wear mesh shoes on a sandy hike. Sand gets in).
      Having said all that HB did point out I have strong ankles so I presume I am lucky in not needing ankle support.
      I don't get waterproof as I prefer to have them dry out quicker.
      I wear wool loop pile socks (various brands) by preference as I find the Darn Toughs a bit too thin and synthetic feeling for my tastes.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Re:Re: trail runners vs boots

hikerboy wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I flipflop back and forth between brooks cascading and keen voyagers . Maybe I'll try one of each.

Just use two rights
      thats where two rights make a wrong

Well then if i wear lefts then i must be doing it right.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I'm having shoe trouble again and I'm totally frustrated. I have a small bunion on my l foot and there is a seam on the Cascadia's that is rubbing on the bunion. Yesterday afternoon, I wore the Cascadia's for a trail run and got a big, painful blister that I had to drain...then it throbbed all night.

So, I have 2 options for my next trip. Wear my regular running shoes that are comfortable but that I'll potentially have to replace after the hike, or try to prevent a blister in the Cascadia's by being proactive. I tried to be proactive on my last day hike by using body glide and still got a small blister in that spot. Maybe body glide and moleskin?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I'm having shoe trouble again and I'm totally frustrated. I have a small bunion on my l foot and there is a seam on the Cascadia's that is rubbing on the bunion. Yesterday afternoon, I wore the Cascadia's for a trail run and got a big, painful blister that I had to drain...then it throbbed all night.

So, I have 2 options for my next trip. Wear my regular running shoes that are comfortable but that I'll potentially have to replace after the hike, or try to prevent a blister in the Cascadia's by being proactive. I tried to be proactive on my last day hike by using body glide and still got a small blister in that spot. Maybe body glide and moleskin?
      I would go with what you know works for your feet. Your feet are telling you they prefer your regular running shoes - Nothing wrong with that. :) It's better to wear what works, than try and make something work for your feet.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • WaterRat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm having shoe trouble again and I'm totally frustrated. I have a small bunion on my l foot and there is a seam on the Cascadia's that is rubbing on the bunion. Yesterday afternoon, I wore the Cascadia's for a trail run and got a big, painful blister that I had to drain...then it throbbed all night.

I would go with what you know works for your feet. Your feet are telling you they prefer your regular running shoes - Nothing wrong with that. :) It's better to wear what works, than try and make something work for your feet.
      That's what I'm leaning towards. I just don't want to replace them after the hike. Shoes are so expensive :(
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

That's what I'm leaning towards. I just don't want to replace them after the hike. Shoes are so expensive :(
      True... However, so are life-long foot issues. ;)

I would think of it more along the lines of which will be more frustrating - Having to replace a pair of shoes, or having to end a hike early because you aren't having any fun (cuz your feet hurt)?
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
    • TrafficJam wrote:

WaterRat wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

feet are more expensive. if your feet arent happy, youre not gonna have a happy hike.
      its all good
    • I am thinking about going back to an over the ankle hiker. I have rolled my left foot twice and had a sharp rock poke the bone in the top/side of my foot. It hurts with every step and my foot is a little swollen at the end of day. Of course doing back to back 20+ mile days didn't help. It has been hurting for over 100 miles. Applying ice and beer every chance I get.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I am thinking about going back to an over the ankle hiker. I have rolled my left foot twice and had a sharp rock poke the bone in the top/side of my foot. It hurts with every step and my foot is a little swollen at the end of day. Of course doing back to back 20+ mile days didn't help. It has been hurting for over 100 miles. Applying ice and beer every chance I get.
      Serious injuries of this nature will require more than ice and beer......I recommend Jim Beam.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I am thinking about going back to an over the ankle hiker. I have rolled my left foot twice and had a sharp rock poke the bone in the top/side of my foot. It hurts with every step and my foot is a little swollen at the end of day. Of course doing back to back 20+ mile days didn't help. It has been hurting for over 100 miles. Applying ice and beer every chance I get.
      Serious injuries of this nature will require more than ice and beer......I recommend Jim Beam.
      now that's advice I can take. Thank you.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Hmmm... I must have done a select all... no draft saved.

Anyway.

I looked for a boot/shoe that would fit me for over a month. Last time I hiked I wore boots, so that is what I settled on this time.

Wolverine 12 extra wides. Leather uppers. These are comfy even when my feet swell up. Of course, when I hike in them will tell the tale. I wear them daily to break them in.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I used to hike in nothing but Vasque Clarion boots. They are comfortable on my feet and I wore them for work, around the house and hiking. I've since switched to shoes made by Oboz. I've had several different models and they are super comfy on my feet. And like the boots before them, I wear them for everything short of weddings and funerals.
      Oh, did I say they're good to hike in too?
      At the end of the hiking day my feet are more comfortable from wearing less weight and more airflow around the foot.