Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

trail runners vs boots

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TrafficJam wrote:

My running shoes are trashed so I took advantage of tax-free weekend and a clearance sale to purchase some Salomon's. I hope they work for me.
      I've already had to exchange these. They felt fine in the store but were too big at home. Had to go with a different color too and they are fugly! But they feel pretty good so far.

I've lost 4 toe nails since my last hike. Anyone else missing toe nails right now?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

My running shoes are trashed so I took advantage of tax-free weekend and a clearance sale to purchase some Salomon's. I hope they work for me.
      I've already had to exchange these. They felt fine in the store but were too big at home. Had to go with a different color too and they are fugly! But they feel pretty good so far.
      I've lost 4 toe nails since my last hike. Anyone else missing toe nails right now?
      Nothing a little mud can't cure.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I'm re-evaluating.

I switched to trail runners in 2007 in the middle of my last long AT section hike. I've been happy with that solution since then, but this summer's hikes have created new doubts.

What changed? Wet trail, mud, bogs, rain. To the point where I was walking in wet shoes and socks for several days on end. That starts to get old.

Slo swears by waterproof GoreTex boots. On our 50-mile hike in June, his feet were merely damp while mine were quite wet. My trail runners did finally dry off at about mile 30 or so on that hike, once the rain stopped.

On our 30-mile hike LT a few weeks ago, my feet were wet from mile 5 until the very end. Slo's boots had soaked through as well by the end of the 2nd day. He said the boots were old and it was time to trash 'em.

Yesterday after an easy five mile walk-in-the woods near home, my trail runners and socks were already feeling soggy. No mud or bogs, but we've had a fair amount of rain.

So, I don't know what-all sort of footwear would have gotten us through that LT hike. I do know that my trail runners are shot. I miss hiking in dry feet.
    • I have some lightweight Goretex mid shoes I would wear in cooler weather on a <100 mile hike, anything over that I wear trail runners that dry fast, after my feet staying wet for 11 days once and smelling worse than rotting possum I decided carrying camp shoes is worth the weight penalty.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.