Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's your job?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Electrical engineer/computer scientist, at GE Global Research for the last 24 years. Coolest project - building out the operator interface for the NBC network control room. Best project - developing microscopes for medical diagnostics - profiling the population of proteins in individual cells. Currently - microscopy for in-process inspection of manufacturing fuel injectors for jet engines.

Toli - Trek? I'd imagine that a hiker would get very, very bored living in Oconomowoc! I guess a guy could head up to the Dells or something, but it's Just Not The Same.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Firefighter in various capacities for most of my alleged adulthood. I volunteered during most of my 13 years in the Corps, and after I got out I was fortunate to be hired as a firefighter with the city of Jacksonville, NC. 8 1/2 years later I went to Iraq as a contract firefighter and did that until June of last year when we bugged out courtesy of ISIS. Since June I've been sitting on my ass enjoying having a beard. Fortunately I found out yesterday I'm headed back to getting a paycheck in the sandbox. I'm gonna miss the beard. And hate wearing shoes/boots all the damn time.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Firefighter in various capacities for most of my alleged adulthood. I volunteered during most of my 13 years in the Corps, and after I got out I was fortunate to be hired as a firefighter with the city of Jacksonville, NC. 8 1/2 years later I went to Iraq as a contract firefighter and did that until June of last year when we bugged out courtesy of ISIS. Since June I've been sitting on my ass enjoying having a beard. Fortunately I found out yesterday I'm headed back to getting a paycheck in the sandbox. I'm gonna miss the beard. And hate wearing shoes/boots all the damn time.

Stay Safe....Semper Fi Brother.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • grayblazer wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

What does everyone around here do to support your habits?

I teach elementary kids...5th grade. Love my kids, despise the system.

I was an Elementary School Music Teacher at the same school for 33 years. Dream Job. We jammed out on the drums, keyboards, xylos, etc. I played the guitar, keyboards, etc. and directed. Stopped 'em if they were making noise instead of music.

I worked for the State of FL since 1976. Retirement is good.

Wow, awesome! I hope I can survive the profession another 16 years, but the way education is spiraling downward, I sometimes doubt that I can. Sounds like you had a dream job!
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Electrical engineer/computer scientist, at GE Global Research for the last 24 years. Coolest project - building out the operator interface for the NBC network control room. Best project - developing microscopes for medical diagnostics - profiling the population of proteins in individual cells. Currently - microscopy for in-process inspection of manufacturing fuel injectors for jet engines.

Toli - Trek? I'd imagine that a hiker would get very, very bored living in Oconomowoc! I guess a guy could head up to the Dells or something, but it's Just Not The Same.

The Ice Age Trail is a short drive from Oconomowoc, and there are other hiking trails in the Kettle Moraine State Forest Southern Unit. I have enjoyed some of them on foot and on cross country skis.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • twistwrist wrote:

grayblazer wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

What does everyone around here do to support your habits?

I teach elementary kids...5th grade. Love my kids, despise the system.

I was an Elementary School Music Teacher at the same school for 33 years. Dream Job. We jammed out on the drums, keyboards, xylos, etc. I played the guitar, keyboards, etc. and directed. Stopped 'em if they were making noise instead of music.

I worked for the State of FL since 1976. Retirement is good.

Wow, awesome! I hope I can survive the profession another 16 years, but the way education is spiraling downward, I sometimes doubt that I can. Sounds like you had a dream job!

Perhaps going on a hike (or some other adventure) each summer will be enough to get you through. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • beginning in 1969 I worked as engineer aboard merchant ships, from tramp steamers to containerships. Trampers were the best, never knew where you were going, nor when you would return. Visited about 75 different countries, some of which no longer exist. When I started there were about 3,000 US flagged ships in foreign trade, at last count there are less than 100. Talk about shrinking industry! Retired now.
    • chief wrote:

beginning in 1969 I worked as engineer aboard merchant ships, from tramp steamers to containerships. Trampers were the best, never knew where you were going, nor when you would return. Visited about 75 different countries, some of which no longer exist. When I started there were about 3,000 US flagged ships in foreign trade, at last count there are less than 100. Talk about shrinking industry! Retired now.

What were some of the countries that no longer exist?
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

beginning in 1969 I worked as engineer aboard merchant ships, from tramp steamers to containerships. Trampers were the best, never knew where you were going, nor when you would return. Visited about 75 different countries, some of which no longer exist. When I started there were about 3,000 US flagged ships in foreign trade, at last count there are less than 100. Talk about shrinking industry! Retired now.

USSR
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

USSR

I would say that should make for a lot more countries now, but I think that might change too as Russia currently appears to be in the acquisition mode.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

USSR

I would say that should make for a lot more countries now, but I think that might change too as Russia currently appears to be in the acquisition mode.

Not the first time Russia has done that.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

I was thinking of Yugoslavia or maybe it was just renamed. I'll have to Google it one day. Anyway, used to go there a lot. Another would be South Viet Nam.

The post was edited 2 times, last by chief ().

• chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

I was thinking of Yugoslavia or maybe it was just renamed. I'll have to Google it one day. Anyway, used to go there a lot.

They made nice cars
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

I was thinking of Yugoslavia or maybe it was just renamed. I'll have to Google it one day. Anyway, used to go there a lot. Another would be South Viet Nam.

What was once Yugoslavia broke up and the various countries formed are: Bosnia & Herzegovina (one country), Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Serbia, and Kosovo, with Kosovo's status as an independent state contested by some (mostly Serbia).
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

What was once Yugoslavia broke up and the various countries formed are: Bosnia & Herzegovina (one country), Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Serbia, and Kosovo, with Kosovo's status as an independent state contested by some (mostly Serbia).

Yep, had to go on Google Maps to figure out the place I used to go, Rejeka, is now in Croatia. Only good thing about Rejeka is that our next stop was always Venice.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Helping women give birth for 18 years. It's the best job in the world and the worst job in the world.

The last 6 yrs I've also worked nursery, postpartum, women's post surgery, blood transfusions for cancer pt's, and ED. Every day is different.
      ED?? How do you go about helping people with erectile dysfunction????

When I work with ED patients, my official title is "Helping Hands" :) . That ain't no lie.

(FWIW ED = ER)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Grinder wrote:

chief wrote:

Astro wrote:

chief wrote:

Aren't we supposed to call it "The Former Yugoslov Republic of Macedonia"? The Greeks get all pissy if you call it Macedonia.
    • Full time: IT Monkey of one sort or another. My current iteration has the multi-word title of Configuration Release Engineer. I am in charge of a production environment pverall, deploy software, do testing in lower environments and make sure everything is humming OK in my overall environment from stage to production levels.

Very part time: guiding, writing and photography. If I figure out the dollar-per-hour rate, it would not be worth it. Satisfying another niche in my life? Priceless.
    • tj, i saw this and thot of you.

Delivery Room Nurse Tired Of Taking $hit From Richard Sherman

[IMG:http://o.onionstatic.com/images/28/28598/16x9/700.hq.jpg?9809]

SEATTLE—After successfully delivering the newborn baby of Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and his girlfriend Ashley Moss Thursday morning, Northwest Hospital and Medical Center nurse Karen Greco expressed her frustration at having to constantly take $hit from the Seahawks defender throughout the entire birthing process. “As soon as Mr. Sherman showed up to the hospital with his girlfriend, he started shouting about how he was the best in the game and how I wasn’t nothing compared to him,” Greco said, noting how difficult it was to guide Moss through her contractions and apply an epidural anesthetic with the defensive back loudly criticizing the hospital for sending such a “second-rate, bush-league” maternity nurse to deliver his son. “I was trying to concentrate once his girlfriend started crowning, but he was right up in my face and screaming at me the whole time. It’s like, ‘Jesus, just shut up and let me do my job, okay?’” According to sources, Greco and the rest of the maternity ward staff ultimately lost their patience with Sherman when he used his superior size and reach to get in front of the attending obstetrician and snatch his newborn child from his girlfriend’s birth canal.
      2,000 miler
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Construction Project Manager and Preconstruction Manager. I also steal chevys on the side.
      Currently PPTO. Have been a CPA, Corporate Controller, Project Accountant (during which time I worked with a number of Construction Project Managers; always fun to interact with)

Trebor wrote:

I put bad people in jail
      THANK YOU!! Appreciate the job that LEO's do to keep us safe!

To Grayblazer and Tangent: just wondering if you have seen Whiplash and what did you think about it? I saw it yesterday and just absolutely LOVED the music; what amazing musicians. That's what I call good music rather than this rap crap that passes for music.

grayblazer wrote:

Tangent wrote:

I'm a band director. I get them in 5th grade and teach them till they graduate. 8 years is a long time to teach a kid but it's pretty cool watching them go from bright-eyed, to turd, and then to a respectable young adult.

Toli wrote:

Built Golf Courses, worked in the industry, 25+ years... Worked for Trek for 5 years...
      My husband's grandfather did as well; built golf courses, that is, in New York, Florida and Hawaii among others.
    • max.patch wrote:

tj, i saw this and thot of you.

Delivery Room Nurse Tired Of Taking $hit From Richard Sherman

[IMG:http://o.onionstatic.com/images/28/28598/16x9/700.hq.jpg?9809]

SEATTLE—After successfully delivering the newborn baby of Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and his girlfriend Ashley Moss Thursday morning, Northwest Hospital and Medical Center nurse Karen Greco expressed her frustration at having to constantly take $hit from the Seahawks defender throughout the entire birthing process. “As soon as Mr. Sherman showed up to the hospital with his girlfriend, he started shouting about how he was the best in the game and how I wasn’t nothing compared to him,” Greco said, noting how difficult it was to guide Moss through her contractions and apply an epidural anesthetic with the defensive back loudly criticizing the hospital for sending such a “second-rate, bush-league” maternity nurse to deliver his son. “I was trying to concentrate once his girlfriend started crowning, but he was right up in my face and screaming at me the whole time. It’s like, ‘Jesus, just shut up and let me do my job, okay?’” According to sources, Greco and the rest of the maternity ward staff ultimately lost their patience with Sherman when he used his superior size and reach to get in front of the attending obstetrician and snatch his newborn child from his girlfriend’s birth canal.

Only confirms what I already knew. He's as big an asshole off the field as he is on.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.