Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

lightheart solong6

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• lightheart solong6

as much as i loved the fly creek ul2, im loving the solong6 even more, a few ounces lighter, with more floor space, a higher ceiling, so far, after a dozen nights , im impressed with the quick setup and breakdown.i bought the silnylon version, its also available in cuben.during my section hike in maine, it kept me dry in some pretty heavy thunderstorms with high winds, and i was able to get the tent up in the rain while i was able to keep the inside completely dry.so far, so good.dakota joe has inherited the fly creek. i hope it serves him well.
      its all good
    • lightheart solong6

Astro wrote:

HB, how do the 2 tents compare as far as ease of setup and time taken?

After watching the videos (and what I already know from my BA Seed House SL2), to me it appears the Big Agnes tents are easier to set up. But of course I guess that is only a few minutes of the day, and you end up carrying the extra weight 8-12 hours a day. Oh well I guess I need the exercise more than the complexity at the end of the day. Same reason I guess I use a Jet Boil. Interesting though to always learn about the different options out there.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • lightheart solong6

Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

HB, how do the 2 tents compare as far as ease of setup and time taken?

After watching the videos (and what I already know from my BA Seed House SL2), to me it appears the Big Agnes tents are easier to set up. But of course I guess that is only a few minutes of the day, and you end up carrying the extra weight 8-12 hours a day. Oh well I guess I need the exercise more than the complexity at the end of the day. Same reason I guess I use a Jet Boil. Interesting though to always learn about the different options out there.
      actually i had the lighheart up and done in about a minute after i had pitched it a few times.
      flycreek also sets up quick.
      its all good
    • lightheart solong6

We bought the Lightheart Duo after seeing it at the Hiker Bash in March. It's so roomy that both of us can get in there with our backpacks. It weighs 2 lb 1.5 oz (we ordered one wedge so we could have a semi alcove). Our previous tent was an older North Face Tadpole with fiberglass poles that weighs over 6 lb. and altho advertised as a 2 person tent, fit more like a one person + small child.
      Judy with Lightheart Gear was very helpful and patient in explaining our options. This was my first foray into cottage industry gear.
    • well now that i 've used the tent for a few months, i'd like to reiterate how much i love this tent.the only issue i had was when i used the titanium stakes at whigg meadow. once i replaced them in hot springs with standard msr groundhogs, my problems were over.with all of my gear inside my tent, i still have plenty of room.i can set it up in the rain and stay reasonably dry, and it takes seconds to break down and pack.
      i'd also like to thank judy at lightheart gear for her outstanding customer service. my rainfly zipper separated, and she had a loaner tent out to me in just a few days. i did have to leave her a $200 deposit for the loaner, but she credited back the full amount, not even charging me for cleaning mine or the loaner tent. in addition to replacing the zipper, she also patched the bug netting where i had gotten a hole from a campfire ember.
      her work is outstanding, her response was outstanding, and her service was outstanding.
      shes expanded her lineup too. lightheartgear.com/lightheartgear.com/
      great job, judy.
      thanks again for everything.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

well now that i 've used the tent for a few months, i'd like to reiterate how much i love this tent.the only issue i had was when i used the titanium stakes at whigg meadow. once i replaced them in hot springs with standard msr groundhogs, my problems were over.with all of my gear inside my tent, i still have plenty of room.i can set it up in the rain and stay reasonably dry, and it takes seconds to break down and pack.
      i'd also like to thank judy at lightheart gear for her outstanding customer service. my rainfly zipper separated, and she had a loaner tent out to me in just a few days. i did have to leave her a $200 deposit for the loaner, but she credited back the full amount, not even charging me for cleaning mine or the loaner tent. in addition to replacing the zipper, she also patched the bug netting where i had gotten a hole from a campfire ember.
      her work is outstanding, her response was outstanding, and her service was outstanding.
      great job, judy.

Hey HB,
      Can you expand a little more on the problem with the zipper?
      What exactly do you mean by becoming separated?
      Was it an equipment fault?
      Was it your fault?
      Is there anything that can/could be done to prevent it?
      Any little tidbits would help.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

well now that i 've used the tent for a few months, i'd like to reiterate how much i love this tent.the only issue i had was when i used the titanium stakes at whigg meadow. once i replaced them in hot springs with standard msr groundhogs, my problems were over.with all of my gear inside my tent, i still have plenty of room.i can set it up in the rain and stay reasonably dry, and it takes seconds to break down and pack.
      great job, judy.

Hey HB,
      Was it your fault?

The zipper on the rain fly of my Lightheart duo also became separated. The zipper is closed at one end so both sets of teeth always stay attached to the zipper. This is opposite of a coat where you have an insertion pin at the bottom (I think that's the correct term) that allows you to detach one set of teeth from the zipper so you can open your coat. On the rain fly, once one set of teeth detaches, there's no way to get it back on to the zipper. In my case, I was merely opening the rain fly without excessive force and it became detached. Judy repaired it for free. She gives great customer service.
      The pic is of the closed end, there's no insertion pin so you can't take off either set of teeth.
      Images
      • image.jpg

920.01 kB, 1,298×2,734, viewed 519 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

milkman wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

great job, judy.

Hey HB,
      Was it your fault?

The zipper on the rain fly of my Lightheart duo also became separated. The zipper is closed at one end so both sets of teeth always stay attached to the zipper. This is opposite of a coat where you have an insertion pin at the bottom (I think that's the correct term) that allows you to detach one set of teeth from the zipper so you can open your coat. On the rain fly, once one set of teeth detaches, there's no way to get it back on to the zipper. In my case, I was merely opening the rain fly without excessive force and it became detached. Judy repaired it for free. She gives great customer service.
      The pic is of the closed end, there's no insertion pin so you can't take off either set of teeth.

Did Judy give you any reason as to why it might be happening?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Usually it's the slider that wears out and not the zipper teeth. To slow down the wear and tear keep the teeth clean and lube it with some silicone or wax. I find zippers a necessary evil on some equipment, after over 7 years of making camping/hiking gear I still find them a PIA to sew into a piece of gear. I have sewn them in and forgotten to put the slider on- lots of bleep bleep.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • About the zippers - The zippers I use in all the tents is what's called a "Number 3" (that's the size of the zipper). this is a very lightweight zipper - the kind found in some clothing - skirts, dresses, - not mens fly front pants- Anyway, it's the zipper pull that gives out and does not allow the zipper teeth to mesh correctly. When you grab the pull tab, and pull away from the tent (putting tension on the fabric which makes it easier to slide up and down) you are straining the 2 halves of the metal pull.It doesn't take much at all to pull this open a tiny bit and then the zipper won't work. In the files, in a pinch, you can try to squeeze the 2 halves closed a tiny bit - too much and you won't be able to move it up or down at all.

If, you were to always just pull the zipper pull in the direction of the zipper tape - ie- don't pull away from the fabric at all) the zipper will last a lot longer.

When I get a tent back with one zipper tab not working I change out EVERY zipper pull tab on the tent (usually 6 of them on a 2 door tent.)

Going to a larger (number 5 ) zipper will not solve any problem, the metal of the pull tab may be a little stronger, but it will give out just as quickly as a number 3 zipper, and, they weigh a LOT more.

Regarding tents made overseas, The SoLong 6 has always and only ever been made in the USA. The Solo and Duo were made in China in the past, but I have now opened a factory in Asheville and we make them all here. I also sew for several other small gear companies to help keep stuff made in the USA.

Repairs are usually free - if you leave your dog in the tent, and he/she makes a new door where there wasn't one before - yes, I'll charge to fix this.

Judy - LightHeart Gear