Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildlife Sightings Today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dog and I did a 3 mile hike, half in a small forest by us (is flood plain for the lake). We were trucking along and I spotted something brown moving heading our direction (south) off trail. I stopped, dog stopped. There was a nice large well fed coyote, which also stopped to look thru the brush at us. It then stealthy moved away. I could tell my 100 pound part "sled dog" didn't see it or I'd be getting pulled down the trail. I just waited 30 seconds and then we moved down the trail. I could tell the minute the dog smelled the coyote! He went "sled dog" pulling me. No photo, to fast.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Just now as I'm sitting on the front porch watching it rain.
      I've found a couple of dead rabbits in our yard. It seems our corgi has developed a taste for it.
      We are about to depart on our evening walk with our 100 pound dog. he knows where EVERY wild rabbit lives along our route. He looks for them. When he spots them, he often goes into "Statue" mode (pointing at it). I can't hardly drag him out of "statue". Wife is good about getting between him and the rabbit and a push with a knee into his side "snaps" him out of it. 3 out of my last 4 hikes out at LBJ National Grasslands, I think a bunny met a sad end.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

• It's safe to come out now... :)

Deer come into my back yard all the time,but i only see these guys a few times a year. (Wild turkeys if you can't tell from the poor picture.) 11 in total. 2:15 this afternoon. The 1/16 of an inch of snow we got Monday has long since melted. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Here's another picture of one of our neighborhood hawks. Crappy picture as the sun was shining at me and I took this driving by. But this guy is the biggest hawk I've ever seen, I mean bigger than a chicken but smaller than a turkey. Lot's of squirrels and rabbits in my neighborhood for him to eat.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

• A wonderful bird is the pelican,
      His bill will hold more than his belican,
      He can take in his beak
      Enough food for a week
      But I'm damned if I see how the helican!

Key West, where the wildlife walk the streets.

Great Egret ready to strike.

This Everglades crow loved the camera.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I have to admit that Osprey doesn't look anything like the ones I have seen on the trail so far. :D

Seriously, great pictures and I trust you enjoyed the warmer weather of my home state. I know I sure miss the weather this time of year. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I know I sure miss the weather this time of year. :)
      I got up early one morning to head down to the dock to watch the sunrise. It might have been in the high 50's. A couple walks up to me wearing parkas, I'm in my T-shirt and shorts.

They look at me and say, "You're not from around here, are you?" :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Did 10 miles on the Arkansas River Trail and saw white tail deer, squirrels, and a cardinal. But had my phone tucked in my jacket due to expectation or rain, so no pictures. Did take it out to get pictures of these guys on the Maumelle River.
      Images
      • 20210124_113821.jpg

63.69 kB, 800×388, viewed 277 times
      • 20210124_113900.jpg

55.47 kB, 800×388, viewed 298 times
      • 20210124_113910.jpg

66.14 kB, 800×388, viewed 278 times
    • Not my photos, one of my neighbors took these...

My house is actually across the pond from this location, on the right.

It was a young deer...

Taken in the night, stripped pretty clean by the morning.

The interesting thing was it was all done silently, not a dog started barking, the neighbors did not hear a thing.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I found two of the caterpillars on some milkweed in very early January. On 26 Jan, one walked off and the other climbed on a tomato cage and formed into the J-shape on the morning of 26 Jan and by the late afternoon it had formed into a chrysalis. I brought him into the house a couple days later, because of some freeze warnings and taped him to a cabinet above the kitchen sink.

Yesterday, I noticed that the chrysalis was very black and I could see a wing inside the translucent chrysalis. I was thinking that it would emerge in the next day or two, so I took it outside and attached it to a ladder. Not more than 20-minutes later, it emerged; unfortunately I was not there to see it emerge.
    • Just had another siting of the neighborhood hawks in my backyard. He landed on the fence and as we were watching him, he jumped down to the ground and grabbed something and flew and landed on the birdhouse. It looked like a little mouse. Whatever it was he tilted his head back and gobbled it up before I could get my phone. Crummy picture right after he swallowed his snack. That bird house is about a foot tall on a 4x4 for reference.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Just had another siting of the neighborhood hawks in my backyard. He landed on the fence and as we were watching him, he jumped down to the ground and grabbed something and flew and landed on the birdhouse. It looked like a little mouse. Whatever it was he tilted his head back and gobbled it up before I could get my phone. Crummy picture right after he swallowed his snack. That bird house is about a foot tall on a 4x4 for reference.
      Our Country Parks Dept has a naturalist on staff who does bird watching trips, events, lectures, etc... We learned that Red Tail Hawks mostly feed on mice, voles, etc.. whereas Coopers and Sharp Shined Hawks tend to go after other birds. What's interesting is that when all the birds suddenly disappear from our feeders, it is because there is a Coopers or Sharp Shined Hawk int he area. But if a Red Tailed Hawk shows up, the birds don't leave. They are smart enough to know the difference, even though I can't always tell the difference.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Just had another siting of the neighborhood hawks in my backyard. He landed on the fence and as we were watching him, he jumped down to the ground and grabbed something and flew and landed on the birdhouse. It looked like a little mouse. Whatever it was he tilted his head back and gobbled it up before I could get my phone. Crummy picture right after he swallowed his snack. That bird house is about a foot tall on a 4x4 for reference.
      Our Country Parks Dept has a naturalist on staff who does bird watching trips, events, lectures, etc... We learned that Red Tail Hawks mostly feed on mice, voles, etc.. whereas Coopers and Sharp Shined Hawks tend to go after other birds. What's interesting is that when all the birds suddenly disappear from our feeders, it is because there is a Coopers or Sharp Shined Hawk int he area. But if a Red Tailed Hawk shows up, the birds don't leave. They are smart enough to know the difference, even though I can't always tell the difference.
      That is because you do not have to worry about dinner. :D
    • Astro wrote:

Awesome!!!It is on my list. :thumbup:
      On a Facebook group I follow, someone asked which people liked better, Grand Canyon or Yosemite? My reply was that I visited both about 10 years ago (plus or minus). Since then I have followed a GC Facebook group, read the GC web page many time, planned detailed hiking itineraries at the GC, checked out all transportation options to the GC, poured over online maps of the GC, and read countless GC trip reports. I've done none of that for Yosemite, so I guess the answer was the Grand Canyon.
    • Not my neighborhood. :)

<snip>

A rabid bobcat attacked a North Carolina woman in her driveway and her husband jumped in and hurled the animal across the lawn ... and it's all caught in this wild video.

It went down in Pender County last week, when a guy is getting ready to hop in his car. As he prepares to get in, you hear the bobcat snarl and the woman screams for her husband.

The guy immediately recognized the type of animal and the peril, grabbing the bobcat and hurling it across the lawn. He screams for people to take cover and then says he's gonna get his gun.

It's unclear if he shot the cat, but authorities say the animal died and tested positive for rabies.

NSFW (language).

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Not my neighborhood. :)

<snip>

A rabid bobcat attacked a North Carolina woman in her driveway and her husband jumped in and hurled the animal across the lawn ... and it's all caught in this wild video.

It went down in Pender County last week, when a guy is getting ready to hop in his car. As he prepares to get in, you hear the bobcat snarl and the woman screams for her husband.

The guy immediately recognized the type of animal and the peril, grabbing the bobcat and hurling it across the lawn. He screams for people to take cover and then says he's gonna get his gun.

It's unclear if he shot the cat, but authorities say the animal died and tested positive for rabies.

NSFW (language).

WOW!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Wow,

I like how the runner in pink comes running back. It looks like she was thinking of saving the Bobcat from the guy.

Also, looks like the wife was carrying a 'pet carrier.' A cat in there may have been part of what attracted the Bobcat?

John Greenleaf Whittier