Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildlife Sightings Today

• max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Had the perfect sighting for the 4th of July on Saturday. Went for a short walk in the woods at our local park. Saw some Turk's Cap Lillies and a grove of large sassafrass (you don't see many large ones around here for some reason). The black raspberries are just ripening and were able to pick a handful.

But the 4th of July treat was seeing the Bald Eagle fly over the pond being chased by 4 blackbirds. He got directly overhead, made a u-turn, and went back over the trees (blackbirds still harassing him). He wasn't more than 50 feet up so we could get a good close up look at him. This park is on the Grand River just a fraction of a mile up river from an Eagle Nest monitored by the park service. Last I heard they had eaglets in the nest. The one we saw was almost certainly from that nest.
      I get goosebumps everytime I see an eagle.
      and to think, our national bird was almost the Turkey
      That would have ruined Thanksgiving.
      Probably take a lot eagles for a Thanksgiving dinner.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • My wife already ran over the national turkey a couple weeks ago. Repairs were 1900$ ( we paid the 100# deductible).

But my favorite eagle sighting was a few years ago at pyramid point in sleeping bear dunes national Lakeshore. A few hundred feet looking down a perched dune into lake Michigan was a bald eagle soaring below us.
    • Saw the eagle again yesterday. He has a favorite sycamore tree right next to the parking lot overlooking the river. The branches are pretty bare so you can get a good look. There were a number of other people milling around. I ask them if they saw the eagle. They say what eagle. I point to the tree and say that one. They were amazed.
    • I love taking pictures of wildlife, got tons from my various hikes on the AT, everything from insects to bears. However, I also like to attract wildlife to my yard and since I started creating habitat for them in the dead middle of suburbia, where I'll never see a deer or bear, much less a bigfoot ; however, I've seen quite a few species of birds I've never seen before. This is what you get for ripping up all your grass, heavily mulching and planting stuff that attracts things and allowing some "weeds" to grow.

I'll stop there, way too many more....
    • New

Took a motor bike trip on the Blueridge Parkway this past week, Cherokee to Ashville (was going to Mt Mitchell but the road was closed just north of Ashville, second time I was going there but got cancelled), came around a curve to see a flock of turkey in the road, was going too fast to stop, thankfully they ran off the road instead of taking to the air.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • New

Silly bird stole a jalapeño from my pepper plant and tried to carry it away but didn’t get very far. Good thing, those jalapeños are HOT!
      Images
      • 72E5BE42-78AC-4072-9F01-D26AAA3569E6.jpeg

104.44 kB, 741×600, viewed 4 times
      • 69E825CF-2101-44E4-BC3A-A7925E237616.jpeg

187.57 kB, 766×600, viewed 4 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • New

Traffic Jam wrote:

Silly bird stole a jalapeño from my pepper plant and tried to carry it away but didn’t get very far. Good thing, those jalapeños are HOT!
      I use hot pepper treated bird seed in my bird feeder as a squirrel deterrent. Supposedly birds cannot taste the hot pepper, but the squirrels can.

My observation..... the birds seem to like it a little less, but still polish it off with time. The squirrels were definitely deterred at first. But now I have one squirrel that seems to have grown a taste for the stuff, and he cleans me out. I've stopped feeding for the summer, but I expect him back for the winter when I start putting seed out again.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I use hot pepper treated bird seed in my bird feeder as a squirrel deterrent. Supposedly birds cannot taste the hot pepper, but the squirrels can.
      My observation..... the birds seem to like it a little less, but still polish it off with time. The squirrels were definitely deterred at first. But now I have one squirrel that seems to have grown a taste for the stuff, and he cleans me out. I've stopped feeding for the summer, but I expect him back for the winter when I start putting seed out again.
      Might be time for him to be relocated.
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I wondered if the pepper would affect him, thanks for the education!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • New

I am used to having deer in our backyard and under our persimmon tree. But this little guy was in my wife's flower beds in the front yard. I believe I was more impressed than she was. :)
      Images
      • 20200731_065029.jpg

156.71 kB, 800×388, viewed 2 times