Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildlife Sightings Today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Crazy amount of bird sighting out the back window this weekend. We had Baltimore Orioles, Yellow Rumped Warblers, Yellow Warblers, Ducks (with ducklings), House Finches, Barn Swallows, Tree Swallows, Cardinals, Robins (with juveniles), Red Wing Blackbirds. Must be migration season.
      That is good, it means things are warming up. 8)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Crazy amount of bird sighting out the back window this weekend. We had Baltimore Orioles, Yellow Rumped Warblers, Yellow Warblers, Ducks (with ducklings), House Finches, Barn Swallows, Tree Swallows, Cardinals, Robins (with juveniles), Red Wing Blackbirds. Must be migration season.
      That is good, it means things are warming up. 8)
      it's been depressingly cool and wet this spring. But now they ate prediction 80 deg and humid on Saturday. So we go right from winter to summer. Spring is on Friday.
    • Did an overnight float on the Etowah River this weekend, saw the usual water birds and their young, also saw several eagles, osprey...the highlight for me was watching a litter of young river otters feed on a large striper that was pulled up on a log, cute little pups...when some of the group got too close they pulled the fish under and waited for us to leave.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Did an overnight float on the Etowah River this weekend, saw the usual water birds and their young, also saw several eagles, osprey...the highlight for me was watching a litter of young river otters feed on a large striper that was pulled up on a log, cute little pups...when some of the group got too close they pulled the fish under and waited for us to leave.
      I guess they didn't want to share.
    • This fellow has been hanging out in the back yard for weeks, I see him most days I'm in the hammock having a cigar but never have my phone for a shot, watched him down a fish today, beautiful bird, not as leery of people as the other herons....yellow crested night heron.
      Images
      • Yellow-crowned_Night-Heron_m17-67-917_l_1.jpg

61.93 kB, 480×600, viewed 30 times
    • Drybones wrote:

This fellow has been hanging out in the back yard for weeks, I see him most days I'm in the hammock having a cigar but never have my phone for a shot, watched him down a fish today, beautiful bird, not as leery of people as the other herons....yellow crested night heron.
      A Beauty!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The bear sat in the middle of the trail, staring at me. He wasn’t close (which is why the pic is blurry) but I saw him right away and stopped. I decided it was a good place to turn around after quickly snapping a photo.

He was the second bear I saw this morning. The first one was in the overgrowth next to the trail and sauntered off when he saw me, only showing his backside.

Here’s a better perspective of distance.
      Images
      • 5050F714-3B9D-4107-801C-76A9D60DC07D.jpeg

279.32 kB, 800×600, viewed 29 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

The bear sat in the middle of the trail, staring at me. He wasn’t close (which is why the pic is blurry) but I saw him right away and stopped. I decided it was a good place to turn around after quickly snapping a photo.

He was the second bear I saw this morning. The first one was in the overgrowth next to the trail and sauntered off when he saw me, only showing his backside.

Here’s a better perspective of distance.
      Sounds like an exciting walk!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • With a couple of boson incidents this week, I was reminded of the graphic sign they had posted all over Yellowstone when we were there on the late 90's. I found this one on the internet. The one I recall from 20 years ago had comically amaturish art work. If I were this guy I would be upset my camera and hat are toast.
    • odd man out wrote:

With a couple of boson incidents this week, I was reminded of the graphic sign they had posted all over Yellowstone when we were there on the late 90's. I found this one on the internet. The one I recall from 20 years ago had comically amaturish art work. If I were this guy I would be upset my camera and hat are toast.

.....three times faster than I can run....I wish....I'd settle for 4.
    • I put up a game camera in the back yard a few days ago, been seeing racoons, possum, swamp rabbit, armadildos every night after dark...got a shot of a turkey and something I have no idea what it is...bottom right corner in the photo, it'd sitting on the arm table of a swing and appears to be looking at the camera mounted on the swing post...anyone recognize it?
      Images
      • IMAG0016.JPG

229.67 kB, 800×600, viewed 16 times
      • IMAG0017.JPG

232.71 kB, 800×600, viewed 20 times
    • Drybones wrote:

I put up a game camera in the back yard a few days ago, been seeing racoons, possum, swamp rabbit, armadildos every night after dark...got a shot of a turkey and something I have no idea what it is...bottom right corner in the photo, it'd sitting on the arm table of a swing and appears to be looking at the camera mounted on the swing post...anyone recognize it?
      Bobcat? Something from the cat family? Grey fox?
    • Put a game camera in the back yard to see when coyotes come through, trying to save the cat, armodillos, coons, swamp rabbits almost every night, got larger critters last few days.
      Images
      • IMAG0020.JPG

101.23 kB, 800×600, viewed 12 times
      • IMAG0022.JPG

100.71 kB, 800×600, viewed 11 times
    • Then once in the house I see this pair.
      Images
      • 20190831_142626.jpg

185.41 kB, 800×600, viewed 8 times
      • 20190831_142619.jpg

188.81 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times
      • 20190831_142608.jpg

169.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
    • I have a friend who her whole life just wanted to see a moose, but never had any luck. She came and stayed with me at Lowes Cabins in Randolph, NH determined to end the drought. Gorham NH has a 'Moose Tour' that goes out before dusk and typically tourists can see several moose at some roadside swamps and salt licks. I declined to join her on the tour since I have seen many moose.

That night the Moose Tour was completely skunked. Not a moose in sight. And guess what came clomping down the road right in front of my cabin porch as I waited for her to return. A great big cow moose. My friend still thinks I made this whole story up just to rib her, but the moose came within spitting distance of where I sat enjoying the night air and a beer.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I'm in Vermont right now and visited my daughter today who lives on the side of Camel Hump Mountain. We were playing a board game and I looked out the back slider door and there was a big beautiful bear looking back through the glass at us. He was sitting in the flower bed just watching us play.

My camera was out of reach, and people getting up sent him quickly scurrying away, but he was a beauty. They hear him at night munching on some crab apples that grow in the back yard, but this was the first time they ever got a good look at him.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I'm in Vermont right now and visited my daughter today who lives on the side of Camel Hump Mountain. We were playing a board game and I looked out the back slider door and there was a big beautiful bear looking back through the glass at us. He was sitting in the flower bed just watching us play.

My camera was out of reach, and people getting up sent him quickly scurrying away, but he was a beauty. They hear him at night munching on some crab apples that grow in the back yard, but this was the first time they ever got a good look at him.
      It is good that he is afraid of people, and runs off.
    • Years ago, while doing a section hike of the AT, we had a moose walk right past us as we were packing up camp at a stealth site right off the trail. Mr moose didn't give us a second look as he walked down the AT munching leaves and branches. Kathy held out dog so she wouldn't bark or make trouble for the moose. I could have scurried around and gotten a photo or just stand there and enjoy the moment. There is no photo
    • scary sight yesterday. ;(
      Images
      • 20190906_063727.jpg

109.12 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      • 20190906_063726.jpg

114.95 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      • 20190906_063727.jpg

109.12 kB, 800×600, viewed 6 times
      • 20190906_063726.jpg

114.95 kB, 800×600, viewed 7 times