Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Wildlife Sightings Today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trebor wrote:

A black bear was spotted in a nearby neighborhood yesterday. People are flipping out and scared to death. They won't let their kids outside to play. They're mad that the Cops won't come shoot it. Idiots.....
      Our state evnironmental office (DEEP) has a site where they ask you to log bear sitings throughout Connecticut. I think that the last one included the description "Just a normal bear acting like a bear."
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • When I met the family from Texas the other day, the first thing the little girl said when they saw me is, "Have you seen a bear?". I said yes at the same time the mom said, "She's terrified of bears." Oops. By the time I got through talking to her about bears, I think she was hoping to see one. :thumbup:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Drybones wrote:

saw moose up close yesterday...photo forthcoming
      Saw this moose as it was coming out of the stream, it saw me and started approaching, I was a little concerned thinking there migt be a little moose nearby and I was about to get a moose whippin but I could see in it's eyes it was just curious and not pissed, saw a second one a moment later...awesome animals, a photo can't do then justice.
      Images
      • 2015_0808cttrail0038.JPG

206.47 kB, 800×600, viewed 390 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

saw moose up close yesterday...photo forthcoming
      Saw this moose as it was coming out of the stream, it saw me and started approaching, I was a little concerned thinking there migt be a little moose nearby and I was about to get a moose whippin but I could see in it's eyes it was just curious and not pissed, saw a second one a moment later...awesome animals, a photo can't do then justice.

dont know why this double posted....could be opperator error.
      Images
      • 2015_0808cttrail0038.JPG

206.47 kB, 800×600, viewed 387 times
    • You have to look closely to see what this shot is about...there's a large grouse, probably twice the size of eastern grouse, pheasant size, got up beside me and lit in a tree about 10' away.
      Images
      • 2015_0808cttrail0030.JPG

193.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 386 times
    • Went for a day hike up to Solitude Lake in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah last week. There was a moose off in the bushes near the trail head at Silver Lake. I had no idea there were moose in Utah. I'm surprised they live this far south. This was a warm sunny Sunday summer afternoon and there were a bazillion people walking these easy trails, having picnics, etc... The moose was staying well hidden. All we could see was his ears. Note that if you are looking for solitude, don't go to lake Solitude.
      Images
      • IMG_6299.JPG

222.46 kB, 800×531, viewed 395 times
    • odd man out wrote:

Went for a day hike up to Solitude Lake in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah last week. There was a moose off in the bushes near the trail head at Silver Lake. I had no idea there were moose in Utah. I'm surprised they live this far south. This was a warm sunny Sunday summer afternoon and there were a bazillion people walking these easy trails, having picnics, etc... The moose was staying well hidden. All we could see was his ears. Note that if you are looking for solitude, don't go to lake Solitude.
      Dont shoot until you see the white of their eyes.
    • odd man out wrote:

Went for a day hike up to Solitude Lake in the Wasatch Mountains of Utah last week. There was a moose off in the bushes near the trail head at Silver Lake. I had no idea there were moose in Utah. I'm surprised they live this far south. This was a warm sunny Sunday summer afternoon and there were a bazillion people walking these easy trails, having picnics, etc... The moose was staying well hidden. All we could see was his ears. Note that if you are looking for solitude, don't go to lake Solitude.
      My first winter in Utah provided an amazing scene on New Years Day...a moose grazing on the rose bushes I planted during the fall. I considered her visit a fair trade for the foliage she cropped.

You're correct on the lack of solitude...try hiking on a week day.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76 ().

• I left the university library late in the evening and while bicycling across campus heard a clattering sound. I had surprised an 8 pointer grazing upon a lush soccer field. He kept pace with me in the parking lot until apparently he thought it time to turn into a grove.

Now I have to determine how to set up an archery blind in the parking lot.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • CoachLou wrote:

I have just discovered how to zoom my gadget!!! gif.013.gif Momma Osprey!
      On regret I have about my hike this summer is getting my new phone only a week before I left and not having enough time for one my teenage sons to teach how to use the camera properly before I left.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Yesterday, we went for a walk at a local county park. Saw this guy right in the trail. It is a 6" long baby Hognose snake. He was apparently upset we almost stepped on him as his neck is flared out like a cobra. Later he puffed it up like a puffer fish. He also coiled and waved his tail like a rattler. Despite looking their ability to look ominous, they are apparently harmless. We got him to slither off in the woods so the next group didn't step on him.
      Images
      • hognose.jpg

168.81 kB, 800×450, viewed 375 times
    • odd man out wrote:

Yesterday, we went for a walk at a local county park. Saw this guy right in the trail. It is a 6" long baby Hognose snake. He was apparently upset we almost stepped on him as his neck is flared out like a cobra. Later he puffed it up like a puffer fish. He also coiled and waved his tail like a rattler. Despite looking their ability to look ominous, they are apparently harmless. We got him to slither off in the woods so the next group didn't step on him.
      their only real defense is to roll over and play dead and give off a rotten smell from it's mouth.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Yesterday, we went for a walk at a local county park. Saw this guy right in the trail. It is a 6" long baby Hognose snake. He was apparently upset we almost stepped on him as his neck is flared out like a cobra. Later he puffed it up like a puffer fish. He also coiled and waved his tail like a rattler. Despite looking their ability to look ominous, they are apparently harmless. We got him to slither off in the woods so the next group didn't step on him.
      their only real defense is to roll over and play dead and give off a rotten smell from it's mouth.
      We did not observe to roll over and play dead defense, but the naturalist at the visitors center did mention that was also in his bag of tricks.
    • odd man out wrote:

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

We did not observe to roll over and play dead defense, but the naturalist at the visitors center did mention that was also in his bag of tricks.
      pick one up and they usually roll over. They do it when confronted directly
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • A young coon in a persimmon tree

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Would someone let him know he's doing it backwards?
    • Drybones wrote:

A young coon in a persimmon tree

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Fix up that snake with a backpack, slither a hundred or more miles, the smell will do well and keep day hikers away.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Drybones wrote:

A young coon in a persimmon tree

Rasty wrote:

odd man out wrote:

that qualifies him for cafe mascot
      its all good
    • odd man out wrote:

I've never seen one of those. I learned something today. Cool looking snake, but I still don't like snakes.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Just decided to hit the privy before it got dark. Tossed my tablet in my back pocket. I do read a little when I'm on it but more since I normally get stuck there not wanting to scare the deer that roam around there about dusk. Made it to corner of Nigel's cabin & there was a doe with two fawns suckling on it. I froze & even though she saw me she stood still for a while. I managed to get a few pics with my tablet. She trotted off a bit leaving the two youngin wonderin what was going on I tried to sneak away & get my camera, but they were gone by the time I did.
      Images
      • 20150831_200304.jpg

133.88 kB, 800×600, viewed 333 times
      • 20150831_200314.jpg

70.23 kB, 800×600, viewed 299 times
      • 20150831_200335.jpg

95.26 kB, 800×600, viewed 293 times
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

Just decided to hit the privy before it got dark. Tossed my tablet in my back pocket. I do read a little when I'm on it but more since I normally get stuck there not wanting to scare the deer that roam around there about dusk. Made it to corner of Nigel's cabin & there was a doe with two fawns suckling on it. I froze & even though she saw me she stood still for a while. I managed to get a few pics with my tablet. She trotted off a bit leaving the two youngin wonderin what was going on I tried to sneak away & get my camera, but they were gone by the time I did.
      Very cool but we really need a picture of the privy.
      Lost in the right direction.