Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ultralight Hiking Tips

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ultralight Hiking Tips

Have y'all read Ultralight Backpacking Tips by Mike Clellend?
      I'm learning some pretty cool tips I wanted to share. It would be cool to post tips we learn along the way.

So the "sleep screen" (ie: mosquito net) is staying on my supply list. From the book:
      "The mosquito head net is a true multipurpose item. Worn over the head, as intended, it keeps little flying bugs out of yer eyes, ears, mouths, and nose. it makes it almost impossible to read a map, but it may save your sanity.

This head net makes an excellent UL stuff sack. It's wonderfully easy to see the items inside, but the net is NOT waterproof.
      It is also an amazingly efficient water filter when murky puddles are your only water source. Simply fold the fabric over itself a few times to get the maximum filter effect. Rinse the net out in the same murky water source, and shake it dry.

Another super cool idea:

Make your own toothpaste dots
      Squirt a long coiled snake of toothpaste out on a plate. Then leave the plate in an out-of-the-way corner for a few days. You'll end up with a hard length of dried toothpaste.
      After it's dry, I use a sharp knife and cut the toothpaste rope into half-inch segments and then let them sit out for another few days. These turn into weird gummy dots and are easily packaged in a tiny Ziploc baggie. Sometimes I sprinkle a tiny bit of baking soda into the baggie to keep the dots from sticking together. Chew 'em like gum before brushing."
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • twistwrist wrote:

I'm learning some pretty cool tips I wanted to share. It would be cool to post tips we learn along the way.

So the "sleep screen" (ie: mosquito net) is staying on my supply list. From the book:
      "The mosquito head net is a true multipurpose item. Worn over the head, as intended, it keeps little flying bugs out of yer eyes, ears, mouths, and nose. it makes it almost impossible to read a map, but it may save your sanity.

This head net makes an excellent UL stuff sack. It's wonderfully easy to see the items inside, but the net is NOT waterproof.
      It is also an amazingly efficient water filter when murky puddles are your only water source. Simply fold the fabric over itself a few times to get the maximum filter effect. Rinse the net out in the same murky water source, and shake it dry.

Another super cool idea:

Make your own toothpaste dots
      Squirt a long coiled snake of toothpaste out on a plate. Then leave the plate in an out-of-the-way corner for a few days. You'll end up with a hard length of dried toothpaste.
      After it's dry, I use a sharp knife and cut the toothpaste rope into half-inch segments and then let them sit out for another few days. These turn into weird gummy dots and are easily packaged in a tiny Ziploc baggie. Sometimes I sprinkle a tiny bit of baking soda into the baggie to keep the dots from sticking together. Chew 'em like gum before brushing."

Good book, probably should pull it out and read it again.
      Lots of good ideas, you just need to figure out what works for you.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • good idea, but impractical on a thru hike, unless you're mailing dots in drop boxes.i just bring a travel size tube of toothpaste. easy to replace at resupply. no muss, no fuss. the weight penalty is negligible.
      i like the headnet idea, not so much that id use it in those ways, but its good for you to think about multiple uses for everything you carry,to help cut down or eliminate extraneous items
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

good idea, but impractical on a thru hike, unless you're mailing dots in drop boxes.i just bring a travel size tube of toothpaste. easy to replace at resupply. no muss, no fuss. the weight penalty is negligible.
      i like the headnet idea, not so much that id use it in those ways, but its good for you to think about multiple uses for everything you carry,to help cut down or eliminate extraneous items

I take the same approach as HB on the toothpaste. I also never tried his rocks for toilet paper.

But this past weekend I did use the squeeze one nostril technique to blow my nose several times. Also used my clothes bag for my pillow. Sure several others that I take for granted now. Like I said before lots of good ideas, just have to see what works for you.
    • Travel size toothpaste. Headnet always in pack but use a Buff for filtering if needed.
      Snot rockets are one of the "freedom" joys of hiking, along with miles and miles of urinal.
      Never scrimp on TP. As well as being extremely multi use (cleaning, fire lighting to name a couple), it has one use for which I will accept no substitute.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

good idea, but impractical on a thru hike, unless you're mailing dots in drop boxes.i just bring a travel size tube of toothpaste. easy to replace at resupply. no muss, no fuss. the weight penalty is negligible.

I take the same approach as HB on the toothpaste. I also never tried his rocks for toilet paper.

But this past weekend I did use the squeeze one nostril technique to blow my nose several times. Also used my clothes bag for my pillow. Sure several others that I take for granted now. Like I said before lots of good ideas, just have to see what works for you.

We always called that a snot rocket.
    • twistwrist wrote:

It was the holy bible of the UL sect when it first came out, with the faithful citing chapter and verse. It's a bit dated as technology and design have made quantum improvements, and as HB inferred, many of those tips are more practical for short trips than for long-distance hikes, but I believe the underlaying philosophy endures.

More important to me was how it challenges traditional thought. It helped me develop a mindset towards determining my true needs, eliminating stuff I don't need, and finding the balance between robustness and weight with which I'm comfortable for the task at hand.

Everyone determines their own need for comfort in camp vs comfort on the trail, and Mr Clelland would probably tsk, tsk what I carry on my long-assed section hikes ... But I learned a lot from him, and my gear choices reflect it.
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I also never tried his rocks for toilet paper.

Again, I appreciate him challenging assumptions, but this, along with his snow cone, and clumps of grass methods remain theoretical for me too ...
      -
      L.Dog
    • LDog wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Again, I appreciate him challenging assumptions, but this, along with his snow cone, and clumps of grass methods remain theoretical for me too ...

is this one of those urban myths? i use toilet paper.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Nope! And apparently, we're missing out on transcendental experiences! Tip #116 Liberate Yourself From Toilet Paper - He describes the use of Douglas Fir cones, snow, river rocks, sticks, moss, grass ... All with illustrations. But none so graphic as:

"THE BUTT SCUFF ON DEWY TUFTS OF GRASS"

"Sometimes you are in an environment with tufts of grass that look like little fright wigs. These usually come in groups, and on a calm dewy morning, there is nothing more wonderful in the world. You can sit on one of these like a bicycle seat and slide yourself along, letting the tuft do its scouring duty. If you find a row of these, get ready to cry tears of joy. And if you have a little bit of downhill slope to work with, the job is a lot easier..."
      That's right, "Tears of Joy!"
      -
      L.Dog
    • LDog wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Nope! And apparently, we're missing out on transcendental experiences! Tip #116 Liberate Yourself From Toilet Paper - He describes the use of Douglas Fir cones, snow, river rocks, sticks, moss, grass ... All with illustrations. But none so graphic as:

"Sometimes you are in an environment with tufts of grass that look like little fright wigs. These usually come in groups, and on a calm dewy morning, there is nothing more wonderful in the world. You can sit on one of these like a bicycle seat and slide yourself along, letting the tuft do its scouring duty. If you find a row of these, get ready to cry tears of joy. And if you have a little bit of downhill slope to work with, the job is a lot easier..."

i have used moss, and ive used snow, but tp is still the old standby
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Astro wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

i have used moss, and ive used snow, but tp is still the old standby

I used the paper-like sheath from bamboo once. Ranks right up there with the biggest mistakes of my life ...
      -
      L.Dog
    • BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

I'm guessin' Twistwrist did not foresee this thread going in this direction ...

at least we didnt provide her with alternative tips for toothpaste dots.

Baking soda in pill zip lock. Colgate wisp for brush. Wet brush. Dip into zip lock. What sticks to brush is enough.

BB, great to see you back where you belong. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Baking soda in pill zip lock. Colgate wisp for brush. Wet brush. Dip into zip lock. What sticks to brush is enough.

I am currently consumed by a few projects that have nothing to do with hiking. All is well. Just busy with other things. Such is the life of a person with OCD and ever changing interests. During a free moment, I created a new item. I am sending a stable 6.5 gram pot stand to JJ, OMO, and WS for testing and feedback. It easily has the best strength to weight ratio of any stand I have created. Just trying to obtain a few addresses. I have the addresses for JJ and WS. I think I have the one for OMO... if he is TC from MI. Am I correct OMO?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

I am currently consumed by a few projects that have nothing to do with hiking. All is well. Just busy with other things. Such is the life of a person with OCD and ever changing interests. During a free moment, I created a new item. I am sending a stable 6.5 gram pot stand to JJ, OMO, and WS for testing and feedback. It easily has the best strength to weight ratio of any stand I have created. Just trying to obtain a few addresses. I have the addresses for JJ and WS. I think I have the one for OMO... if he is TC from MI. Am I correct OMO?

I "liked" ur post, would like even more to be selected as a tester :whistling: ... BTW, welcome back...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Hi Bird Brain, like you, when I disappear for a few months, rest assured I am doing other things and pursuing other interests, sometimes related to hiking, sometimes not...I truly am never bored. Good to hear from you, glad your doing well.
    • BirdBrain wrote:

Astro wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Bird Brain I am rapt that you are back! Very disappointed I couldn't catch up with you in December when I was in Maine. Tried to contact but assume not a good time for you. Violet B sends her regards too by the way. I would again like to thank you for the two wonderful stoves you sent me and IM. Love them. If you have any others you want "tested" or reviewed feel free to send them to Violet B (Robin) in Camden (I can PM the address). She is coming here late March. Love showing your stoves to locals here.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • LDog wrote:

I'm used to y'all by now and never knowing what direction of a thread may take. ;)

hikerboy wrote:

LDog wrote:

Haha! Touche.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation X quilt, a 2nd or 3rd generation. I noticed Tim now makes them with some elastic straps to attach to your pad and then you can clip your quilt edges to the straps to help eliminate drafts when you roll over. So I bought the straps ($3) and sewed the clips to my quilt to update it. It's a pretty slick system. If you order some off the web site, tell Tim in the comments field to send you the female clips.
      Images
      • Quilt Straps.jpg

83.58 kB, 800×480, viewed 251 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Interesting thing about toilet paper. The rolls we are buying now are have less sheets than they used to. They are the same size on the outside, but what they have done is increased the size of the brown roll in the middle (the air between).