Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Travel Outside the US

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• This is pretty cool!

This is a chainsmith shop at the Black Country Living Museum in the West Midlands of England. It's one of the museums that I want to visit and about 25 miles from where I'll be staying in Ironbridge Gorge. So I think I may soon be an expert on public transport in far flung corners of the UK. At least the taxi prices are about the same as AT shuttle prices

Anyway I've made quite a bit of chain in my time, but that is as a blacksmith and very different than a chain shop with dedicated tool and equipment.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

This is pretty cool!

This is a chainsmith shop at the Black Country Living Museum in the West Midlands of England. It's one of the museums that I want to visit and about 25 miles from where I'll be staying in Ironbridge Gorge. So I think I may soon be an expert on public transport in far flung corners of the UK. At least the taxi prices are about the same as AT shuttle prices

Anyway I've made quite a bit of chain in my time, but that is as a blacksmith and very different than a chain shop with dedicated tool and equipment.
      I watched several of those vids, thanks, loved all the steam engine ones too.
    • CoachLou wrote:

Of course......$110.

I don't plan to go outside 'till '17' so I can put it off!
      I probably need to go get a passport. Unless the Congress does something, next year a regular NY driver's license won't be good enough to get you on a plane. Unless you go for the enhancement, which is nearly as expensive as a passport, NY's background investigation isn't enough to satisfy the TSA that you should be allowed to fly. I thought 49 USC 40103 (a) (2) was still on the books: "A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace." But apparently the Patriot Act repealed it.

Of course, the likely action will be that New York will get an 11th-hour extension. Most other states are noncompliant but have been granted extensions. New York, Minnesota, Lousiana and New Hampshire have not yet been granted them.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • As for passports, most countries I've traveled to require your passport to be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival. So even if you are on a one week trip with passport valid for 5 months, that isn't good enough. Don't put off a renewal until it's too late. You never know when you have to make a last minute trip to Nigeria to pick up your lottery winnings from the Princess.
    • odd man out wrote:

As for passports, most countries I've traveled to require your passport to be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival. So even if you are on a one week trip with passport valid for 5 months, that isn't good enough. Don't put off a renewal until it's too late. You never know when you have to make a last minute trip to Nigeria to pick up your lottery winnings from the Princess.
      Man, I was trying to keep that trip quiet!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Given my family history of having to leave places in a hurry, I make it a point to have a valid passport.

Ve was small angry men with hairy faces and burning feet... Ve was running away from poverty, intolerance, the law... and the army.

I can't really explain it all without going Godwin on you.
    • odd man out wrote:

As for passports, most countries I've traveled to require your passport to be valid for at least 6 months after your arrival. So even if you are on a one week trip with passport valid for 5 months, that isn't good enough. Don't put off a renewal until it's too late. You never know when you have to make a last minute trip to Nigeria to pick up your lottery winnings from the Princess.
      don't wanna brag, but the princess is bringing my check directly to me. just had to send her money for the plane ticket. plus she's really really cute and says she's lonely.....
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

don't wanna brag, but the princess is bringing my check directly to me. just had to send her money for the plane ticket. plus she's really really cute and says she's lonely.....
      Is that the one from Kenya? ?( :D
    • rafe wrote:

Given my family history of having to leave places in a hurry, I make it a point to have a valid passport.

Ve was small angry men with hairy faces and burning feet... Ve was running away from poverty, intolerance, the law... and the army.

I can't really explain it all without going Godwin on you.

The Firesign Theater doesn't need explanation that I know of...
      ?(
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • hikerboy wrote:

soon you're gonna need a passport to fly domestically depending on where you live.
      This was news to me so I looked it up. The REAL ID policy to be implemented sometime after the beginning of 2016 states that your ID used to get through security must meet certain standards. For most people, your Drivers License meets the standards and would still work. However there are 5 states whose DL's are not currently compliant (New York, Louisiana, Minnesota, New Hampshire and American Samoa). Also no date has been announced for the implementation of this policy. And by the time it is implements, some or all of the non-compliant states may have become complliant.

However if you go to the TSA web site, you will find that it actually is possible to fly without an ID if the TSA agents can verify your identity using publicly available databases (of course this would take extra time). I think this is significant for the hiking community for if you were hiking and lost your ID, you would still have an option for getting home. It might be a good idea to be prepared for such an emergency.

mashable.com/2015/09/18/airport-id/#xKbpDSh4LaqQ

tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

blog.tsa.gov/2013/04/tsa-trave…-tuesday-can-you-fly.html
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Of course......$110.

I don't plan to go outside 'till '17' so I can put it off!
      I probably need to go get a passport. Unless the Congress does something, next year a regular NY driver's license won't be good enough to get you on a plane. Unless you go for the enhancement, which is nearly as expensive as a passport, NY's background investigation isn't enough to satisfy the TSA that you should be allowed to fly. I thought 49 USC 40103 (a) (2) was still on the books: "A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace." But apparently the Patriot Act repealed it.
      Of course, the likely action will be that New York will get an 11th-hour extension. Most other states are noncompliant but have been granted extensions. New York, Minnesota, Lousiana and New Hampshire have not yet been granted them.

AnotherKevin wrote:

The TSA doesn't have to let you fly without ID, and TSA agents make the decision arbitrarily.

papersplease.org/wp/2015/04/09…these-people-from-flying/
      It's going to be a sad day when you can't move around the country without a passport.

Illegal aliens don't have to show I.d. When flying
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Astro wrote:

Sometimes it seems some of our laws (or at least the enforcement of them) is more to hassle the innocent while we avoid tackling the tough issues and true criminals.
      No argument there. But there might be disagreement about what constitutes real offenses and what's OK.

We have a criminal justice system that is certainly not color-blind. You're far more likely to see jail from ripping off a mini-mart (or selling a bag of weed) than from stealing billions on Wall Street. Oh, and we have for-profit prisons, how lovely!
    • Astro wrote:

Sometimes it seems some of our laws (or at least the enforcement of them) is more to hassle the innocent while we avoid tackling the tough issues and true criminals.

We talked about this at my last job. Lots of 'feel goods' that accomplished nothing, but they look good on a pie chart and so the executives who authorized it can feel good about doing something.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I am writing this with the knowledge that I have never flown and that I know little about air travel --

1) I do not understand airline pricing... I intend to go to the UK and flying into London is about $1100. But! Flying into Dublin is about $800 and not matter how I get to Dublin the flight is $800, no matter if it is non-stop or if it connects through another city. Washington DC to Paris = $1300. Washington-Paris-Dublin = $800.

Now you'd think that a flight that is $800 from Washington to Dublin through NYC would be cheaper, if instead I skipped Washington and simply flew NYC to Dublin...nope! That is $920

Either way its alright. I will take the $800 to Dublin flight and spend a couple days there before taking the ferry and train to Wales and on to Ironbridge Gorge. Save some money and have a more interesting trip.

2) Code share. Ok, I get this and makes sense, but why does it seems so many people get their panties in a twist and bitch and moan, while then going to a third party site to buy their tickets.

3) And in this time when airlines sell their tickets direct from their website, why do people continue to use third party and third third party, and fly by night websites? If the airline does not actually sell you the ticket, they can not really help you out with a customer service issue. You have to deal with the ticket vendor to settle the issue.

4) The universal disdain for airlines really made me go out and look at the issue. And while this is not a defense of airlines and their performance...to the flying public -- YOU SUCK! there are those subjective measures, but when you look at object standards its seems airline perform pretty well (read the Airline Quality Report). But the behavior of the customers is truly disgusting. It's amazing what cell phone videos posted to YouTube will show and what you see on the TV show Airline UK and the US version.

I'm not concerned with the airline now but the a$$holes I'll fly with.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tuckahoe ().

• Travel by plane sucks. No other way to describe it. Airline tickets aren't cheap but you go a long way much quicker than you can go any other way. I think some people expect the journey to be wonderful and when it isn't they feel that they need to complain. When you're paying to get somewhere quickly by air that's what you're buying, not a luxurious, pampered long sit in a couch.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Keep in mind that airlines make very little, if any, profit from flying people. They make their money from the cargo that's in the belly of the plane, with your luggage. That's why the airlines are all looking to merge with each other. Less competition means more chance of making money. Back in the 1950s and 60s to be able to fly was something special and people expected to pay handsomely for that opportunity. Now, everybody wants to fly cheap. And the airlines have done anything they can to lower the price of a ticket.

A number of years back I needed to go to California from New York. I'd always wanted to do a cross country train trip and made that the opportunity. While it cost just as much as flying the travel time was 3 days. I have to say, it was very enjoyable even though we didn't get a sleeping cabin, we just slept in our seats. And those seats were quite comfortable and reclined way back with a foot rest that came up. It was quite comfortable actually. I guess to go to the UK you could always go by ship. I have no idea what it would cost in either time or money, but it's an alternative.
    • Traveling is really stressful for some people. Trying to make connecting flights, figuring out how to check in, getting through security, the crowds, canceled flights after getting up at 3am, trying to deal with customer service in India, traveling with small children...I'm not excusing bad behavior, just pointing this out.

You see really good people too. The last time I flew, myself and a business traveler helped a young, non-English speaking mom trying to deal with stroller and kids get through security, no one else was going to.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I never did understand why a two hour layover in an airport tired me worse than a four hour car drive. I guess one gets used to it after a while, I asked my son if flying bothered him and he said no...but he's still young. He spends 50% of his time mostly in Asia, his wife spends 50% of her time mostly in Europe and the middle east...hope they both find other jobs in the near future.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate flying, but I can't stand those people who get get through security with no problems, make their connections, don't lose their bags, and then then whine incessantly because they didn't have enough leg room, the flight attendant didn't smile enough, there was a dirty napkin on the floor of the plane, the TSA guard made me follow the rules, I had to pay 5$ for a lousy snack, there was a lot of traffic at rush hour, the baby on the seat next to me cried non-stop for 15 minutes, I couldn't fit my giant suitcase in the overhead bin, the entertainment system wasn't working so I couldn't see the TV shows I wanted to see, yada yada. A bunch of entitled wimps.
    • Extremely long flights in economy are bad for your health. I believe I read an article about that -- older folks occasionally from suffer micro-strokes in such settings.

My father actually suffered a fairly major stroke on a flight home to the USA from New Zealand. When my sister picked him up in Honolulu, he acted very confused and disoriented, and slept through the rest of the day and much of the next. My sister suspected something was up and took him to the hospital, where they figured out that he'd had a stroke. He was about 70 at the time.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Travel by plane sucks. No other way to describe it. Airline tickets aren't cheap but you go a long way much quicker than you can go any other way. I think some people expect the journey to be wonderful and when it isn't they feel that they need to complain. When you're paying to get somewhere quickly by air that's what you're buying, not a luxurious, pampered long sit in a couch.

Now $800 isn't chump change, but at that price it gets me a round trip if 7000 miles in 14-16 hours of actual flight time and comes to a rate of $0.12 a mile. I think that's pretty dang reasonable. I don't have the experience to say how much flying sucks, but I don't think I'm entering into the experience with unreasonable expectations. I'm just expecting getting from point A to point B and back.
    • LIhikers wrote:

A number of years back I needed to go to California from New York. I'd always wanted to do a cross country train trip and made that the opportunity. While it cost just as much as flying the travel time was 3 days. I have to say, it was very enjoyable even though we didn't get a sleeping cabin, we just slept in our seats. And those seats were quite comfortable and reclined way back with a foot rest that came up. It was quite comfortable actually. I guess to go to the UK you could always go by ship. I have no idea what it would cost in either time or money, but it's an alternative.
      One of my wish list trips is a cross country train trip -- from Williamsburg, to DC, Chicago, Glacier National Park, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, back to Chicago, DC and then home. Love the fact I live one block from the Williamsburg train station.

odd man out wrote:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate flying, but I can't stand those people who get get through security with no problems, make their connections, don't lose their bags, and then then whine incessantly because they didn't have enough leg room, the flight attendant didn't smile enough, there was a dirty napkin on the floor of the plane, the TSA guard made me follow the rules, I had to pay 5$ for a lousy snack, there was a lot of traffic at rush hour, the baby on the seat next to me cried non-stop for 15 minutes, I couldn't fit my giant suitcase in the overhead bin, the entertainment system wasn't working so I couldn't see the TV shows I wanted to see, yada yada. A bunch of entitled wimps.
      Buncha whiney b*tches!

TrafficJam wrote:

Pro tip, remember to remove your pepper spray from your day pack. :)
      I'm getting a new pack. It's not going anywhere near my shooting gear. :whistling:
    • OzJacko wrote:

Travel by plane sucks. No other way to describe it. Airline tickets aren't cheap but you go a long way much quicker than you can go any other way. I think some people expect the journey to be wonderful and when it isn't they feel that they need to complain. When you're paying to get somewhere quickly by air that's what you're buying, not a luxurious, pampered long sit in a couch.
      I'm on board with this. The vast majority of places I really want to go to can only be reached by plane (well I could travel by land, but it would be most impractical). Because I am going where I really want to go, I by definition really like flying, even if it sucks.
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

One of my wish list trips is a cross country train trip -- from Williamsburg, to DC, Chicago, Glacier National Park, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, back to Chicago, DC and then home. Love the fact I live one block from the Williamsburg train station.

odd man out wrote:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to hate flying, but I can't stand those people who get get through security with no problems, make their connections, don't lose their bags, and then then whine incessantly because they didn't have enough leg room, the flight attendant didn't smile enough, there was a dirty napkin on the floor of the plane, the TSA guard made me follow the rules, I had to pay 5$ for a lousy snack, there was a lot of traffic at rush hour, the baby on the seat next to me cried non-stop for 15 minutes, I couldn't fit my giant suitcase in the overhead bin, the entertainment system wasn't working so I couldn't see the TV shows I wanted to see, yada yada. A bunch of entitled wimps.
      Buncha whiney b*tches!

TrafficJam wrote:

Pro tip, remember to remove your pepper spray from your day pack. :)
      I'm getting a new pack. It's not going anywhere near my shooting gear. :whistling:
      Fortunately for me, I wasn't caught by TSA but had a moment of panic when I discovered it on the plane. Maybe I shouldn't admit to this?
      Lost in the right direction.