Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

REI MARLTON NJ & REI CONSHOHOCKEN - THRU HIKERS SECRETS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• hikerboy wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

I could run classes that would teach you how to make the purists tear their hair out.
      :)

courses include:
      reading a menu.
      proper hair care.
      favorite soap.
      calling for a shuttle.
      trail angel listing.
      how to time it perfectly to arrive for a hiker feed.
      calling to make a reservation at places that dont take reservations and getting away with it.
      what does paddling have to do with hiking?
      proper sightseeing guides
      flight plan
      privy list
      carrying a stuffed mascot.
      doing it wrong

Never learnt how to time hiker feeds...
      You missed a few but to learn the REAL skills I have, I would need to charge you. Brilliance deserves it's rewards after all.
      ;)
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • hikerboy wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

there is more than one way to hike the trail. if there was "one way" we'd all carry the same tent, pack, eat the same foods, and hike the same distance.

the major problems with courses is you are paying to get the advice of one person.

sirpacksalot even has a "service" where he will sell you most of the gear you need to hike in one package. [edit to add: i don't see that listed; maybe he is not doing that this year.]

better option is to go to one of rucks or the gathering and get the opinions of many rather that the opinion of one.

as far as the a.t. goes, if you can hike for 5 days you can do a thru if you have the time and the money.

Ya'll need to look at this from a woman's perspective. The majority of women weren't in Boy Scouts, didn't serve in the military, and many didn't have a father (or father figure) who taught them how to hike and camp. Taking a class is a lot more than just getting a person's opinion. It's about gaining a little confidence and peace of mind before embarking on something totally foreign. If I had taken some classes, I probably would have started solo hiking several years ago.

i agree with max - the gathering is a great place to not only take classes, but to speak to a wide variety of people who've done it, rather than just one perspective.

For some people, that isn't easy.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I see the value in multiple (good) opinions. But some training face to face is better than none. And a good class can be interesting. But I also understand you need to go in knowing that you maybe limiting yourself to that perspective.

And hey if you want multiple perspectives on something, just post a question and I am sure you can get a lot of different opinions around here.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General