Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

big agnes fly creek ul2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• big agnes fly creek ul2

i bought this tent about 5 or 6 years ago , and itook it on my section hike this spring. there were a lot of them on the trail,, both the ul1 and the ul2. most people i met with the single person tent said they would have preferred the extra room, the weight penalty is just a coupla ounces.
      it kept me dry under all conditions, even in 60 mile/hr winds tent held up like a champ
      its all good

I've used the one person model Fly Creek on several occasions. It felt like sleeping in a coffin and I'd would never recommend it.

The two person model is definitely worth the extra weight.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I've used the one person model Fly Creek on several occasions. It felt like sleeping in a coffin and I'd would never recommend it.

Now you tell me. :oops:
      My Christmas present for myself this year is Fly Creek UL1. For the past 3 years I had been using a Seed House SL2. But since my son is no longer hiking with me and I thought I had plenty of room, and decided to go lighter and smaller. I am only 5'8" so hopefully there will still be plenty of room.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

hikerboy wrote:

i bought this tent about 5 or 6 years ago , and itook it on my section hike this spring. there were a lot of them on the trail,, both the ul1 and the ul2. most people i met with the single person tent said they would have preferred the extra room, the weight penalty is just a coupla ounces.
      it kept me dry under all conditions, even in 60 mile/hr winds tent held up like a champ

Better!

My tarp barely shows the wind, which was a cool breeze compared to the hurricane that hit us that nite!
      Images
      • p5040262_thumb.jpg

11.39 kB, 134×134, viewed 710 times
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

I've got the BA Copper Spur UL 2. It's like checking into a hotel room. I guess that's why Oz got one. :)

well being that this is the flycreek review, perhaps one of you two yo-yos would review the copper spur on a different thread? :dry:

In a review the critical thing for a reader is whether they should buy one or not.
      The Fly Creek 2 and the Copper Spur 2 are competing tents.
      Both are mansions for one person. Both are tight in width for 2 people.
      Pros for FC - lighter and cheaper.
      Pros for CS - larger and the foot end is genuinely free standing for the inner.
      Both require staking of vestibules.
      Both are excellent tents.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Having now used the Fly Creek UL1 on the Ouachita Trail for a few nights I can now contrast the size with my Seedhouse SL2 and the similar sized UL2 of this thread.

It is tighter, but fortunately I did not feel like I was in a coffin. My NeoAir and sleeping bag did take up most of the floor space, but I still had room to put my pack sideways and for my shoes, water bottles, etc.. Changing clothes was a little more of a challenge, but still possible (I am only 5'8"). One advantages I just realized after actually using it, is that it is easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (due to my shorter wingspan).

So the key question, if I had it to do it over again would I go with the UL1 or UL2? I would still go with the UL1 since it is easier to fold and the 5oz savings added to my justification for downsizing from my Seedhouse SL2. Now if I was a taller person, or was buying my first tent without the weight savings being the justification, perhaps I would go with the UL2.

Astro wrote:

Having now used the Fly Creek UL1 on the Ouachita Trail for a few nights I can now contrast the size with my Seedhouse SL2 and the similar sized UL2 of this thread.

It is tighter, but fortunately I did not feel like I was in a coffin. My NeoAir and sleeping bag did take up most of the floor space, but I still had room to put my pack sideways and for my shoes, water bottles, etc.. Changing clothes was a little more of a challenge, but still possible (I am only 5'8"). One advantages I just realized after actually using it, is that it is easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (due to my shorter wingspan).

So the key question, if I had it to do it over again would I go with the UL1 or UL2? I would still go with the UL1 since it is easier to fold and the 5oz savings added to my justification for downsizing from my Seedhouse SL2. Now if I was a taller person, or was buying my first tent without the weight savings being the justification, perhaps I would go with the UL2.

glad you made the right choice that works for you.its a great tent.homebrew had the ul1 and was fine with it for his whole thru.
      its all good
    • Re:big agnes fly creek ul2

I agree, great tent. The only down sides and they're minor are the front entrance and the number of stakes to get a tight pitch.

I have a couple hundred miles on mine and still love the packed size and weight.

Like HB, I switched to the solong 6 for the same reasons.

That's not a hit on the FC2. I still use the FC2 if I know I will have to set up on a platform or if I am flying somewhere and don't take my hiking poles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    • Having a whopping seven nights total in mine, none with any evil weather to test it, I can add to the positive comments here in general. The nights I was out this week it got into the 40's each night but I never felt so much as cold inside the tent. I never even zipped up my sleeping bag. Now, I'm a fairly warm sleeper, but still, the tent did a great job of holding in heat.

Maybe with it being September (or October before I convince myself), I'll get some rain when I hit the Neusiok Trail to give it a test. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

My Christmas present for myself this year is Fly Creek UL1. For the past 3 years I had been using a Seed House SL2. But since my son is no longer hiking with me and I thought I had plenty of room, and decided to go lighter and smaller. I am only 5'8" so hopefully there will still be plenty of room.
      Are you still using the UL1? Do you like it?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I love it. Due to my shorter wingspan I find it easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (especially with a torn rotator cuff as found out later). I have room for my pack inside sideways. I used it 90% of the time I was outdoors of my 7 weeks on the AT this summer. I do not want to fool around with trekking poles as a support for my shelter, so this fits me better. Quick, easy, small, uniform, and still just 2 lbs. I even used it freestanding a few times (rocks at Fingerboard, and in a hurry at Leigh Gap).

I have also used it in the winter on the Ouachita Trail.

I know there are other options for others, but this works great for me. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I love it. Due to my shorter wingspan I find it easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (especially with a torn rotator cuff as found out later). I have room for my pack inside sideways. I used it 90% of the time I was outdoors of my 7 weeks on the AT this summer. I do not want to fool around with trekking poles as a support for my shelter, so this fits me better. Quick, easy, small, uniform, and still just 2 lbs. I even used it freestanding a few times (rocks at Fingerboard, and in a hurry at Leigh Gap).
      I have also used it in the winter on the Ouachita Trail.

I know there are other options for others, but this works great for me. :thumbup:
      Thanks! I'm looking for something for my daughter and think it'd be right for her.
      Lost in the right direction.