Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

big agnes fly creek ul2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• big agnes fly creek ul2

i bought this tent about 5 or 6 years ago , and itook it on my section hike this spring. there were a lot of them on the trail,, both the ul1 and the ul2. most people i met with the single person tent said they would have preferred the extra room, the weight penalty is just a coupla ounces.
      it kept me dry under all conditions, even in 60 mile/hr winds tent held up like a champ
      its all good

I've used the one person model Fly Creek on several occasions. It felt like sleeping in a coffin and I'd would never recommend it.

The two person model is definitely worth the extra weight.
      >>>Advertise here! Affordable rates and no long term contracts. Send a PM for more details!<<<

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I've used the one person model Fly Creek on several occasions. It felt like sleeping in a coffin and I'd would never recommend it.

Now you tell me. :oops:
      My Christmas present for myself this year is Fly Creek UL1. For the past 3 years I had been using a Seed House SL2. But since my son is no longer hiking with me and I thought I had plenty of room, and decided to go lighter and smaller. I am only 5'8" so hopefully there will still be plenty of room.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

hikerboy wrote:

i bought this tent about 5 or 6 years ago , and itook it on my section hike this spring. there were a lot of them on the trail,, both the ul1 and the ul2. most people i met with the single person tent said they would have preferred the extra room, the weight penalty is just a coupla ounces.
      it kept me dry under all conditions, even in 60 mile/hr winds tent held up like a champ

Better!

My tarp barely shows the wind, which was a cool breeze compared to the hurricane that hit us that nite!
      Images
      • p5040262_thumb.jpg

11.39 kB, 134×134, viewed 556 times
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

hikerboy wrote:

milkman wrote:

I've got the BA Copper Spur UL 2. It's like checking into a hotel room. I guess that's why Oz got one. :)

well being that this is the flycreek review, perhaps one of you two yo-yos would review the copper spur on a different thread? :dry:

In a review the critical thing for a reader is whether they should buy one or not.
      The Fly Creek 2 and the Copper Spur 2 are competing tents.
      Both are mansions for one person. Both are tight in width for 2 people.
      Pros for FC - lighter and cheaper.
      Pros for CS - larger and the foot end is genuinely free standing for the inner.
      Both require staking of vestibules.
      Both are excellent tents.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Having now used the Fly Creek UL1 on the Ouachita Trail for a few nights I can now contrast the size with my Seedhouse SL2 and the similar sized UL2 of this thread.

It is tighter, but fortunately I did not feel like I was in a coffin. My NeoAir and sleeping bag did take up most of the floor space, but I still had room to put my pack sideways and for my shoes, water bottles, etc.. Changing clothes was a little more of a challenge, but still possible (I am only 5'8"). One advantages I just realized after actually using it, is that it is easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (due to my shorter wingspan).

So the key question, if I had it to do it over again would I go with the UL1 or UL2? I would still go with the UL1 since it is easier to fold and the 5oz savings added to my justification for downsizing from my Seedhouse SL2. Now if I was a taller person, or was buying my first tent without the weight savings being the justification, perhaps I would go with the UL2.

Astro wrote:

Having now used the Fly Creek UL1 on the Ouachita Trail for a few nights I can now contrast the size with my Seedhouse SL2 and the similar sized UL2 of this thread.

It is tighter, but fortunately I did not feel like I was in a coffin. My NeoAir and sleeping bag did take up most of the floor space, but I still had room to put my pack sideways and for my shoes, water bottles, etc.. Changing clothes was a little more of a challenge, but still possible (I am only 5'8"). One advantages I just realized after actually using it, is that it is easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (due to my shorter wingspan).

So the key question, if I had it to do it over again would I go with the UL1 or UL2? I would still go with the UL1 since it is easier to fold and the 5oz savings added to my justification for downsizing from my Seedhouse SL2. Now if I was a taller person, or was buying my first tent without the weight savings being the justification, perhaps I would go with the UL2.

glad you made the right choice that works for you.its a great tent.homebrew had the ul1 and was fine with it for his whole thru.
      its all good
    • Re:big agnes fly creek ul2

I agree, great tent. The only down sides and they're minor are the front entrance and the number of stakes to get a tight pitch.

I have a couple hundred miles on mine and still love the packed size and weight.

Like HB, I switched to the solong 6 for the same reasons.

That's not a hit on the FC2. I still use the FC2 if I know I will have to set up on a platform or if I am flying somewhere and don't take my hiking poles.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    • Having a whopping seven nights total in mine, none with any evil weather to test it, I can add to the positive comments here in general. The nights I was out this week it got into the 40's each night but I never felt so much as cold inside the tent. I never even zipped up my sleeping bag. Now, I'm a fairly warm sleeper, but still, the tent did a great job of holding in heat.

Maybe with it being September (or October before I convince myself), I'll get some rain when I hit the Neusiok Trail to give it a test. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

The post was edited 1 time, last by Grinder ().

• Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

My Christmas present for myself this year is Fly Creek UL1. For the past 3 years I had been using a Seed House SL2. But since my son is no longer hiking with me and I thought I had plenty of room, and decided to go lighter and smaller. I am only 5'8" so hopefully there will still be plenty of room.
      Are you still using the UL1? Do you like it?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I love it. Due to my shorter wingspan I find it easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (especially with a torn rotator cuff as found out later). I have room for my pack inside sideways. I used it 90% of the time I was outdoors of my 7 weeks on the AT this summer. I do not want to fool around with trekking poles as a support for my shelter, so this fits me better. Quick, easy, small, uniform, and still just 2 lbs. I even used it freestanding a few times (rocks at Fingerboard, and in a hurry at Leigh Gap).

I have also used it in the winter on the Ouachita Trail.

I know there are other options for others, but this works great for me. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I love it. Due to my shorter wingspan I find it easier to fold up than a 2 person tent (especially with a torn rotator cuff as found out later). I have room for my pack inside sideways. I used it 90% of the time I was outdoors of my 7 weeks on the AT this summer. I do not want to fool around with trekking poles as a support for my shelter, so this fits me better. Quick, easy, small, uniform, and still just 2 lbs. I even used it freestanding a few times (rocks at Fingerboard, and in a hurry at Leigh Gap).
      I have also used it in the winter on the Ouachita Trail.

I know there are other options for others, but this works great for me. :thumbup:
      Thanks! I'm looking for something for my daughter and think it'd be right for her.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis