Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

z packs arc blast

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Been looking at that pack since Trail Days last year when my friend bought one. It will be my next pack. Just haven't decided on which options yet. They keep adding new ones every time I look. Definitely hip belt pouches and lumbar pad.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • I saw several on the trail last year, got to check em out pretty good and have had a bad case of new pack lust since. I took a hard look at it, vs the ULA Ohm2 I'm currently carrying. After adding the weight and volume for hipbelt pockets, shoulder pouches, it would have 2.6L less volume, which I could live with, would weigh 7 ozs less and cost $377. A little over $54/oz saved. That's the Cuben Tax ...

The $377 question is, does it carry substantially more comfortably? And I don't know the answer to that. Tho I'm relativiely certain having mesh and an air gap against my back in the heat of summer in New England this year would be nice ...
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • I'm gonna follow suit with you on that SoLong 6 too. Remember when I tossed that thing to you at the Hiker Bash in Franklin and said "here feel this thing" I couldn't believe it. Then when I got in one I said "yep, this is the next one". But, back to the Arc Blast. I'm gonna go with the 60L just because of my size and the size of my gear. (LOL) Like you, it'll save me a good bit of weight and with the history of my knees I'm taking special care to lighten my load. No matter the cost. I would rather spend the money on gear and be able to go rather than spend the money on my knees and not be able to.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Since August of '11, all I have used are the EXOS, which was Joe's first attempt at a Carbon Fibre, externally framed pack, I had one of the very first, and all the frames broke, as Joe said he used too small a diameter rod... Mine broke 4hrs into my first hike using it, and over the next 5 days, I had a VERY steep learning curve to learn to pack frameless... Joe immediately offered to fix it with the new larger rods, but I was amazed at how comfortable it carried w/o the frame... he told me he would refund some money, or send me some stuff... Well, he sent me 3 medium roll top stuff sacks, 2 tent stake sacks, a wallet and ditty bag... It gets better... When he came out with the ARC, it was based on the EXOS pack, but with the re-designed frame, and after reading he modified a few of the gear guys packs at BPL, I contacted him, and his immediate reply was send it back, he would modify it, no charge... I have said on another thread, it is pure genius the way you can manipulate the way it carries as you eat down ur food weight... When I ordered my original pack, I got every option offered($400), except the hydration sleeve... I found the chest pack weird, so I sold it and Joe made a custom one to my exact spec, and have been happy ever since... Another genius thing is that hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, chest pack, side mesh pockets, all seamlessly transfer to my custom ZERO XS he made for me... Yep, I'm a fanboy :thumbup: ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • I went with the 52L and I wish now I had gone with the 60L. I have plenty of room in the 52L but there are a few times the extra room would be nice. The weight penalty between the two sizes is minimal.
      Examples:
      When taking extra gear when hiking with my wife. Gotta keep her comfy. If she's happy, I'm much better off.
      Extra room for winter gear which can be bulkier.
      Room for a six pack of tall boys.

I will say the load lifters are not needed. I went with the lumbar pad and will either get another one to double it up or make my own, which is easy enough to do.

I wouldn't want to use this pack if trying to go over 25-30 pounds. I think the heaviest I started out with was 28. But I was able to drop a lot of weight the first night and was back to a normal carrying load the next few days.
    • Toli wrote:

Since August of '11, all I have used are the EXOS, which was Joe's first attempt at a Carbon Fibre, externally framed pack, I had one of the very first, and all the frames broke, as Joe said he used too small a diameter rod... Mine broke 4hrs into my first hike using it, and over the next 5 days, I had a VERY steep learning curve to learn to pack frameless... Joe immediately offered to fix it with the new larger rods, but I was amazed at how comfortable it carried w/o the frame... he told me he would refund some money, or send me some stuff... Well, he sent me 3 medium roll top stuff sacks, 2 tent stake sacks, a wallet and ditty bag... It gets better... When he came out with the ARC, it was based on the EXOS pack, but with the re-designed frame, and after reading he modified a few of the gear guys packs at BPL, I contacted him, and his immediate reply was send it back, he would modify it, no charge... I have said on another thread, it is pure genius the way you can manipulate the way it carries as you eat down ur food weight... When I ordered my original pack, I got every option offered($400), except the hydration sleeve... I found the chest pack weird, so I sold it and Joe made a custom one to my exact spec, and have been happy ever since... Another genius thing is that hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, chest pack, side mesh pockets, all seamlessly transfer to my custom ZERO XS he made for me... Yep, I'm a fanboy :thumbup: ...
      Toli, just wondering if anybody has told ya yet how difficult that script is to read, as a bud I felt compels tolove ya buddy. It is some fine looking script to, I just can't read it.
    • hikerboy wrote:

well i just ordered the 52L arc blast with side pockets,lumbar pad and key pocket.
      $349 lighter.

I've looked at this pack but it doesn't have the cachet gathered by my two other packs after hundreds of hiking miles. Besides on occasion I need to pack additional weight then recommended for this pack.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

Since August of '11, all I have used are the EXOS, which was Joe's first attempt at a Carbon Fibre, externally framed pack, I had one of the very first, and all the frames broke, as Joe said he used too small a diameter rod... Mine broke 4hrs into my first hike using it, and over the next 5 days, I had a VERY steep learning curve to learn to pack frameless... Joe immediately offered to fix it with the new larger rods, but I was amazed at how comfortable it carried w/o the frame... he told me he would refund some money, or send me some stuff... Well, he sent me 3 medium roll top stuff sacks, 2 tent stake sacks, a wallet and ditty bag... It gets better... When he came out with the ARC, it was based on the EXOS pack, but with the re-designed frame, and after reading he modified a few of the gear guys packs at BPL, I contacted him, and his immediate reply was send it back, he would modify it, no charge... I have said on another thread, it is pure genius the way you can manipulate the way it carries as you eat down ur food weight... When I ordered my original pack, I got every option offered($400), except the hydration sleeve... I found the chest pack weird, so I sold it and Joe made a custom one to my exact spec, and have been happy ever since... Another genius thing is that hip belt pockets, shoulder strap pockets, chest pack, side mesh pockets, all seamlessly transfer to my custom ZERO XS he made for me... Yep, I'm a fanboy :thumbup: ...
      Toli, just wondering if anybody has told ya yet how difficult that script is to read, as a bud I felt compels tolove ya buddy. It is some fine looking script to, I just can't read it.

ditto

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

well i just ordered the 52L arc blast with side pockets,lumbar pad and key pocket.
      $349 lighter.

I've looked at this pack but it doesn't have the cachet gathered by my two other packs after hundreds of hiking miles. Besides on occasion I need to pack additional weight then recommended for this pack.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

TJ said she has a hard time reading it on her phone... There, I fixed it :D ...
    • Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

i liked it
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

I bet you will like it just fine HB. HMG makes nice CF packs also, however, for the same capacity Zpack is much lighter. CF material. I have dealt with both over the past few years and can say, American Made, and both have bent over backwards in customer service and quality. Enjoy the new pack, just remember, you can't toss it around on rocks and asphalt and such, like you can an Osprey.
    • hikerboy wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

i liked it

That makes comic sans...
      :whistling: ...

• Toli wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

i liked it

That makes comic sans...
      :whistling: ...

The comic sans was unique.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • July wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

I bet you will like it just fine HB. HMG makes nice CF packs also, however, for the same capacity Zpack is much lighter. CF material. I have dealt with both over the past few years and can say, American Made, and both have bent over backwards in customer service and quality. Enjoy the new pack, just remember, you can't toss it around on rocks and asphalt and such, like you can an Osprey.

the thing i liked with my osprey packs was the suspension keeping the pack off my back, which the arcblast does as well. i dont remember that being the case when i saw hmg at trail days. i was also influenced by some of the gang here.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

July wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

the thing i liked with my osprey packs was the suspension keeping the pack off my back, which the arcblast does as well. i dont remember that being the case when i saw hmg at trail days. i was also influenced by some of the gang here.

I hear ya, years ago the choices did not vary that much from one to another. I have an old NF and Osprey pac that I carried exclusively for 15 years. In todays market, people buy new every year with tech advances, ie lightning the load on the ole body. I must confess the past couple (2) years I have carried some Gossamer g-4 and/ mariposa with the sit pad in the back with all them humps to facillitate air flow. As with a 52ltr, your load is LIGHT to fit the pack. Airflow should not be a major concern humping around 3100ci of gear, its gotta be light to fit everything in/to.
    • hikerboy wrote:

July wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

The only negative on the ULA IMHO. Annie has a ULA and an Osprey Aura (used on the Camino) because of this. She has more discomfort from the sweat than I do so I recommended the Osprey for warmer hikes. I think Osprey make the best packs not made in the "cottage" industry.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

You da man! I did like it, I just couldn't read it without zoomin' in.
    • Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

That just doesn't look right :/ . I suppose I will get used to it.

FYI, this is what it looks like on my iPhone.
      Images
      • image.jpg

66.04 kB, 337×600, viewed 393 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

That does look cool tho... :thumbup: That is just a font that I use, but not necessary... Is this better???
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

How does Apple screw up a standard True-type font like comic sans?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Toli wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

That does look cool tho... :thumbup: That is just a font that I use, but not necessary... Is this better???

Much more legible on the phone...thanks

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

How does Apple screw up a standard True-type font like comic sans?

Because they are Apple. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Toli wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Toli wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

$349 lighter.

socks wrote:

Toli wrote:

ditto

Whenever I saw that script, I thought of Shakespeare. Then I'd read you're "southernese"...and it was very odd...sort of like a southern renaissance experience. ^^
      Lost in the right direction.
    • well, now that i'm back from my trip, i figured i would review the pack.

i was extremely happy and satisfied with the pack in all respects. the arcblast carries best when total weight is under 25 lbs, but i did push it to 30 twice(food) and still , it transferred the weight well.

all of my gear fit inside the main bag comfortably. was never stressed for space, even with 6 days of food.
      the mesh back came in handy to just stuff a wet tent in until i could fully dry it.

it also kept my gear dry as a bone, although i decided to go without a liner. this was my biggest concern, but even setting it down in water, the pack did not wet out on the inside, and my sleeping bag was kept dry the whole time.

i did have one issue with the frame. it allows you to adjust the tension to keep the back of the pack off your back, and provide some ventilation, similar to an osprey. while i was tightening it, i snapped one of the carbon fiber stays. i was able to repair it adequately to finish the trail, and zpacks is sending me a new stay free of charge.

the waistbelt pouches i added were accessible, and a great place for me to keep my camera, phone, and even first aid kit,headlamp and sak. the water bottle holsters are deep and accessible without me having to take my pack off.

this will be my go-to pack for all but winter hikes.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

i did have one issue with the frame. it allows you to adjust the tension to keep the back of the pack off your back, and provide some ventilation, similar to an osprey. while i was tightening it, i snapped one of the carbon fiber stays. i was able to repair it adequately to finish the trail, and zpacks is sending me a new stay free of charge.
      you've certainly had bad luck with your gear the last couple of years. its good to hear that the vendors are taking care of the problems when reported.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

you've certainly had bad luck with your gear the last couple of years. its good to hear that the vendors are taking care of the problems when reported.
      i can't call it bad luck. i think i stressed the rainfly zipper on my solong6 too much, have to be a little more gentle, and the arcblast stay breaking was not really a defect.
      either way customer service for both companies has been great.
      Ive been able to repair the zipper on my solong,btw.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

the waistbelt pouches i added were accessible, and a great place for me to keep my camera, phone, and even first aid kit,headlamp and sak. the water bottle holsters are deep and accessible without me having to take my pack off.

I cant imagine those stays breaking, they are hard to flex. How far did you flex it to break it?

I wouldnt go without a liner. The stays can rub thru the material right behind them. Mine did on the JMT last yr. Little pinholes. Leaked in a little water hiking in all day rain. Great pack for 15-25 lb.
    • muddywaters wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

I cant imagine those stays breaking, they are hard to flex. How far did you flex it to break it?

I wouldnt go without a liner. The stays can rub thru the material right behind them. Mine did on the JMT last yr. Little pinholes. Leaked in a little water hiking in all day rain. Great pack for 15-25 lb.
      obviously too far, although i still cant figure out how it broke so easily, just happy theyre replacing it free.

part of the reason i went without a liner was a compactor bag took up way too much volume. im considering getting the zpacks cuben fiber fitted liner. the pack performed great in the rain, but should i take a dunk in a stream, is far from water tight, theres a covered sleeve for a hydration tube where water could get in fairly easily.
      its all good
    • hikerboy wrote:

muddywaters wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

obviously too far, although i still cant figure out how it broke so easily, just happy theyre replacing it free.
      part of the reason i went without a liner was a compactor bag took up way too much volume. im considering getting the zpacks cuben fiber fitted liner. the pack performed great in the rain, but should i take a dunk in a stream, is far from water tight, theres a covered sleeve for a hydration tube where water could get in fairly easily.
      only stuff in my liner is stuff that cant get wet, quilt, clothing. Dont bother with anything else. Takes up about the bottom 8" of the pack. Small plastic bag works. Main reason i got the arc was better water resistance for hiking in rain, but its a really great pack.