Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

8 Reasons Children of the 1970s Should All Be Dead

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 8 Reasons Children of the 1970s Should All Be Dead

8 Reasons Children of the 1970s Should All Be Dead
      By Yeoman Lowbrow on 9 June 2014 | comments 1073

"The way things are going, every kid is going to go to school wearing bubble wrap and a helmet. Back in the 1970s (and earlier), parents didn’t stress about our health and safety as much as they do today. It’s not that they cared less – they just didn’t worry compulsively about it.

Parents of 2014 need to be reminded of how less restricted, less supervised, less obsessively safety-conscious things were… and it was just fine:"

read.feedly.com/html?url=http%…F&theme=white&size=medium
      its all good
    • I did all those things and while I didn't die, I prolly do have serious damage. We used to play football, no pads or helmets at the practice fields at the high school. I was a pretty good wide receiver and I can barely remember several times looking over my shoulder for the long pass with my arms outsteched and being stopped rather suddenly by running into the metal goal post. That junk hurts.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

and heaven forbid we walked or rode our bicycles to elementary school unsupervised

When we were 13 or so, my best friend and I rode our bikes from our hometown of New Carlisle, OH, to Kiser Lake State Park, about 20 miles. We told our parents we were going fishing and camping. Didn't tell them WHERE. They just presumed we meant the creek outside of town. We knew it wasn't a hop, skip, and jump down the road but we had NO idea it was 20 miles when we took off. Man, those were the days!
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Tuckahoe wrote:

What is sad is that we live in a safer age and yet people are more afraid.

I just had that exact conversation with someone. Think about it...We can be in constant contact with our kids now 24/7 via cell phones
      there are surveillance cameras everywhere....we know where the sex offenders live , there is immediate response and intel disseminated to the public, i.e.: social media. so many more examples, mostly due to technology that absolutely makes it safer for our kids today than when we were kids.
      When I was 13 I would take the bus into Manhattan with friends to , you know, hang out! When I think back at that I realize now how crazy that was, but I am here! and turned out semi normal!
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

i used to hop on the subway for 10 cents and ride in the front car to coney island, central park, wherever. my mom never once worried id be okay

Or maybe she hoped you wouldn't make it back. One less mouth to feed and all. :P
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • My mother had no idea where i was half the time..and Im not saying this to make her out to be a horrible mother. She was aa great mother. She worked. And I didn't sit home and watch TV , I was out of the house all day long and it was the rule to be home by 5:30. I was always home at 6!
      RIAP
    • hikerboy wrote:

i used to hop on the subway for 10 cents and ride in the front car to coney island, central park, wherever. my mom never once worried id be okay

We used to ride our bikes to Detroit Metro Airport which was 16 - 17 miles depending how we went. Would "hide" our bikes in the parking garage unlocked and then go roam the airport. Go out on the observation deck, ride the elevator up and down at the hotel. Drop bubble gum wrapper down the mail chute from the top floor and watch 'em go by on the ground floor. Walk right up to the departing gates, and watch the planes back out, then run to the deck and watch them take off. The deck was the coolest. It was outside on the roof of the terminal.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Rasty wrote:

Went camping solo the first time around eleven years old. Parents thought nothing of it. I brought my dog which is probably why they were not worried.

I don't think I did a solo overnight in the woods until I was 14. But I was on the subway almost as soon as I could find my way to the station by myself. I can recall riding the subway with my brother (10 years younger) in a stroller, and nobody batting an eyelash. Nowadays, parents who let their kids do that get arrested for child endangerment.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

My mother had no idea where i was half the time..and Im not saying this to make her out to be a horrible mother. She was aa great mother. She worked. And I didn't sit home and watch TV , I was out of the house all day long and it was the rule to be home by 5:30. I was always home at 6!

That's my story too.
      The only difference is that I was usually home just at 5:30.
      I liked eating too much to go without dinner :D

I think a big difference back then is that all the moms knew each other and would call each other up to find out where and what we were up to. At least in my neck of the woods that's how it was.
    • There is no question that the average American gets loads of messages from popular TV newscasts that everything out there is going to kill us. There are messages about shoot outs, apartment fires, toys that don't meet code... the constant drum beat of the news is fear. Last month a report on products on the news was glass suddenly exploding inside the home. Table tops, Tv stands, etc. "You need to be aware of the danger!!!!!" oh my... IDIOT caster. - It was safety glass. The same glass used in your windshield of the car. If it breaks by design it wont cut you much. I just turn it off.

As for kids...
      I was shocked to learn years later my son told me of a woman attempting to pick him up at the bus stop with her car, when he was about 10. But we had already taught him stranger danger...

Nothing happened.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

• Yes I did must be tough to be a parent.

TrafficJam wrote:

I played Hobo all the time. I tied my lunch in a bandana, stuck a stick through it, and carried it over my shoulder while I rode my bike all day. I should do that on my next hike.

Me too!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • i used to climb everything when i was a kid. trees, houses, buildings, used to climb on top of the school all the time. you used to get on the swings in the playground and see how high we could get until we were almost vertical.
      my first job was as a maintenance mechanic at adventurers inn amusement park in college point . we put up the rides every season and tore them down after labor day.great job, payed me $1.35 /hr. made $60 /week with overtime. i got pretty comfortable with heights,working on the roller coaster, and other rides. started going up to new paltz camping, and me and my buddies would climb the cliffs up there, never with ropes. we didnt know any better. there was only one rule. dont fall.
      its all good
    • About the age of 9 or 10 a group of us kids thought that trash bags could work as parachutes. I'd climb up on the roof of the house with a trash bag, hold it above my head to catch air and then jump off the roof. Never worked though; I swore it was because I was not starting high enough. It's amazing didn't break anything let alone kill myself.
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Talk about crazy things we used to do.
      My friend and I would climb onto his garage roof so we could run down the slope then jump out onto the lawn to see who could go farther. It's amazing we never got hurt. Well, not seriously, anyway. But that was in the 60's not 70's, so maybe that's why.
    • Back when, Evil Knievel was all the rage, and many wanted to emulate him. We'd jump our bikes over just about anything, creeks, garbage cans, big wheels (the record was seven without wipin' out if I recall), if there was somethin' that looked hairy, we'd build a ramp and try and jump it. It's a wonder we didn't break our necks...went through a lot of front forks, and kept Johnson $ Johnson in business.
    • CoachLou wrote:

We didn't go to Palisades Park. We went to Freedomland. Saw my first concert there......Hermans Hermits........maybe '65-66'

You guys are old! Winston Towers (Pal Park) Co-op City! (Freedomland)

We used to go to Action Park in Vernon NJ. The place was insane when you really think about it. Every time I went I would leave with some sort of laceration or road rash. The alpine slide was crazy. It eventually closed and reopened as Mountain Creek sans all the dangerous rides. This past summer it opened as Action Park again. I know people that worked there when they were in HS and they have soo many stories of incompetence there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park
      RIAP
    • socks wrote:

Back when, Evil Knievel was all the rage, and many wanted to emulate him. We'd jump our bikes over just about anything, creeks, garbage cans, big wheels (the record was seven without wipin' out if I recall), if there was somethin' that looked hairy, we'd build a ramp and try and jump it. It's a wonder we didn't break our necks...went through a lot of front forks, and kept Johnson $ Johnson in business.

Socks,
      We did the same thing. I jumped 13 garbage cans on my schwin stingray. Then we all got dirt bikes and started building dirt ramps to jump. The record was about 75 feet. I broke a couple of front axles and bent my forks several times. I got pretty good at re-lacing wheels and trueing them back. lol. Evil Knievel was my hero- I also learned how to do 60 mph wheelies standing on the seat and sitting sideways and we would even attempt to ride our dirt bikes sitting on them backwards.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

• In '64', we went into the Pavillion for the Country of 'Monaco'. My dads friend was ribbing him about "how come he never told anyone he owned a country"........the future coach was 7.........so one of the girls there started talking to me and I was telling her how my last name was Monaco and how my dad owned this country. I remember her smiling at me and saying something for a little boy

...and I remember this ride like I was on it last year...........maybe not yesterday. :D
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Cut school, walk to fair, under the fence. Repeat as needed. I loved watching the jet packs in action (still waiting for mine). Seeing the monorail on The Simpsons was a kick, too. Someday I may go nuts and get an old Amphicar. Come to think of it, a Belgian Waffle would be tasty, too.